HotA (Hammer of the Ancients) FAQ

Barbarian
Prev 1 19 20 21 Next
Bump
Silver,
I was a 2h barb from release until act II infernal. I quit due to it being too hard then came back three months later where I became an EF noob :) but I swore I'd be back to 2h one day. I decided to buy a cheap skorn and try out the waters again. I grabbed a 5% LS skorn and am hitting the 43ias breakpoint. Gameplay with the WW/HOTA build seems only slightly harder in terms of fury generation. I lost some DPS due to the weak skorn and losing 49% CD from my gloves due to needing 5 slots of IAS. Would love to increase EHP but not lose more dps. Could you check out my gear and give any recommendations? what's a good skorn to shoot for and price point? I can go up to 350m
thanks!
@Silverfire
I am not sure of where I stand on my break point.
All I can find is that I have 1.7, which to me seems that I am just under these from your chart.
33 1.712121212
32 1.765625

Do I need a bit more ias to get over the listed numbers?

have done a few upgrades since you gave advice, am definitely staying alive and doing more damage now. Any further suggestions?
I am after IK gloves with better stats, just found WH belt on gah, It gives more dps and protection even though old belt had AR80, but no dexterity.

You should replace one of your rings with a HotA SoJ, you won't lose a breakpoint in doing so and will kill elites much faster.

This is my Hota/rend build that I run with a friend, use war cry instead of leap when we play together:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Karokk-2441/

Do you think I would benefit from using skorn? Do I need more AS to use skorn?

Yes, I would stack more IAS for switching to a skorn. Don't think I'd make the switch if I were you though. Your biggest problem, though, is only one slot of lifesteal, and a lack of vitality on your gear. IMHO dual wielders are better off with an IK belt 99% of the time, and you are no exception. With a good one, you could then upgrade to a crit mempo, switch your amethysts for rubies, and use berserker rage as a passive instead of superstition. All of this will heavily outweigh the ias and cd from witching hour.

One of the biggest tells on whether or not an LS skorn would be a good fit for you is your gloves. If you have well crafted ones, its hard to keep the 2-piece IK bonus with a witching hour, and it usually isn't worthwhile. (I'm getting by with a fairly high end witching hour and IK boots though)

Your mainhand also annoys me since it has elemental damage, but that's not a big deal.

Silver,
I was a 2h barb from release until act II infernal. I quit due to it being too hard then came back three months later where I became an EF noob :) but I swore I'd be back to 2h one day. I decided to buy a cheap skorn and try out the waters again. I grabbed a 5% LS skorn and am hitting the 43ias breakpoint. Gameplay with the WW/HOTA build seems only slightly harder in terms of fury generation. I lost some DPS due to the weak skorn and losing 49% CD from my gloves due to needing 5 slots of IAS. Would love to increase EHP but not lose more dps. Could you check out my gear and give any recommendations? what's a good skorn to shoot for and price point? I can go up to 350m
thanks!

You might want to consider an IAS skorn. You won't have to change any of your equipped gear to hit 1.67 aps buffed with one. For an LS skorn, I would strongly suggest a witching hour, but that would open another can of worms as far as the IK set bonus goes, you'd have to either get IK strides or irons.

As it is though, you need movement speed on your boots.
I recently committed and purchased a real soj so I could run Hota it has been a nice change of pace from WW/Hota.

I found that running Sprint- Rush rune give a nice Ehp boost brings me up to 33% dodge makes things nice when face to face with heavy hitting units

Had to dump my wh for the low end found ik belt for now...
So I need to pick back up my lost 9% ias and 49 Cd somewhere else

Ignore my gems been to broke to upgrade them again as of late.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/RoyalHighnss-1652/hero/18144746

Any critiques are welcome
You have too much AR/armor and way too little vit. Crit chance is heavily lacking overall. I like the weapons. Craft gloves and shoulders aggressively, that will be the easiest way to upgrade. For the short term, I'd buy gloves from the AH that swap the AR for vit and have higher crit chance. They're very cheap. Go for something like 80-90 str/80-90 vit/8+ ias/35+cd/9+cc. Get more vit on your belt. Your chest and boots also need more vit but it'll be costly.
08/01/2013 09:33 AMPosted by silverfire
You should replace one of your rings with a HotA SoJ, you won't lose a breakpoint in doing so and will kill elites much faster.

Silverfire
I have this SoJ, just did not have it on as I mostly use it for ubers. Also just added new IK gloves.
I am crafting ammys, but no luck as yet.
So overall you are happy with result so far and is inline with what setup you consider ok?
many thanks for help
Hey silver, could you give me any general or specific gearing advice for my barbarian (el boro)?

I've been trying to put together a semi-budget hota build (can budget and hota even go together?)

I'm working on getting a decent IK chest (150 str/150vit at least) and then using a witching hour. Other than that I'm not sure what to do as far as other specific gearing. Do I have any slots that are just terribly wrong and need rework? What should I be crafting? (More vit shoulders?)

Thanks in advance.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Amiar-1992/hero/12769543
Hey Amiar, good to see you pop by.

My rule for IK chests is no less than 200, so I'd keep the one you have atm.

I would actually consider swapping out the witching hour for an IK belt, and then using rare (trifecta) gloves. Your inna's are pretty nice, but budget witching hours are just too compromised. An IK belt would also help combat your severe lack of resists. The problem is that both your HF ring and amulet are very nice...but not having IAS on one of the two is going to be troublesome.

Almost enough so for me to think that an IAS skorn might be a better option than LS. Complements the strong inna's and crafted gear. You can then drop another slot of IAS, and possibly put AR on the gloves, and/or craft gloves. The problem with LS skorns is that they're very picky with the gear you need. IAS skorns working well with IK belts and requiring less IAS on gear makes them much more forgiving at lower budgets.
Silver, I did that set for a friend I was talking about earlier. It's on my male barb. Care to take a look and criticize it? I think I missed a hota BP, but wasn't really paying attention. Also, 12% move speed only. Did kule/siege carrying one dead very easily just a few mins ago.

http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/llama-1217/Cabbage/6228099

http://d3up.com/b/961907

http://www.d3rawr.com/d-7jo07
12% MS makes me cry. But other than that it's pretty nice. You hit 1.776 aps which hits a hota breakpoint but misses a ww one. I'd have preferred 3 slots of IAS instead of 4. You probably could have gotten more damage out of a bifecta ring than a trifecta. (90%+ CD)

ofc I love the IK helm.
Thx man, I'll think about this and see if I can do anything to improve it.
@amiar, I'm not necessarily saying to run out and get ik helm+belt, but it's something to think about. Would definitely consider an ias skorn because your crafted gear is nice, but puts a lot of pressure for ias on armor slots. The issue with your barb as it is is that it will have a lot of trouble surviving in high mp's, especially vota. An ik belt will give you another slot of ar, and even open up the possibility of putting ar in your gloves.

There's just a lot more flexibility with ias skorns due to less ias needed on gear and the ik belt. Ls skorns need you to hit bullseyes in every slot, or else you become a glass cannon. Ias slorns consequently jive better with crafted gear. Your gear in particular would be a good fit because your inna's are nice, the witching hour is weak, and the crafted pieces are very good except that they lack ias. Hitting a good balance for damage and survivability will be more straightforward.
Hello, I've recently switched from dualweilding to IAS skorn and now I clear stuff much faster even though the skorn itself didn't give me a huge jump in dps. Keeping up wotb is slightly harder but works well in areas like cemetary and fields of misery.

I've also for a breef moment switched back to WW-build but my rend/hota is actually alot better since I play with a monk with cyclone strike.
@silverfire: In case you find this useful, I thought I'd provide the link here testing how the HotA CHC bonus works. It looks like the calculation of the HotA CHC bonus (i.e. 1% bonus CHC per 5 fury in globe) occurs before the fury cost of HotA is removed, thereby permitting 100% HotA CHC. This also confirms Nubtro's findings that the HotA bonus CHC can exceed the CHC hard caps.
@silverfire : Im looking for more dps to be able to farm higher mp levels , any suggestions on where to start ? My playstyle is very tanky so I would like to increase my ar and vit also , seems every upgrade I can think of drops my vit to low.

thanks , by the way for this guide , convinced me to switch over to a hota barb and it brought the fun back :)
08/21/2013 04:55 PMPosted by abend
@silverfire: In case you find this useful, I thought I'd provide the link here testing how the HotA CHC bonus works. It looks like the calculation of the HotA CHC bonus (i.e. 1% bonus CHC per 5 fury in globe) occurs before the fury cost of HotA is removed, thereby permitting 100% HotA CHC. This also confirms Nubtro's findings that the HotA bonus CHC can exceed the CHC hard caps.

Saw your tests, appreciated.

@silverfire : Im looking for more dps to be able to farm higher mp levels , any suggestions on where to start ? My playstyle is very tanky so I would like to increase my ar and vit also , seems every upgrade I can think of drops my vit to low.

thanks , by the way for this guide , convinced me to switch over to a hota barb and it brought the fun back :)

1. Craft spaulders of vitality
2. Get a better SoJ, keep 5 reduction but try to get one with 27% elite bonus at least
3. Get an amulet with 80%+ crit damage instead of any IAS

If you want to be tankier, get more vit on your chest and boots, and get a witching hour with AR. Getting AR on jewelry and gloves is very costly.
Hi Silver,

Need some ideas here on if I am doing this right and what should be my next upgrade/craft.

- I swapped my non-mov speed Ice climbers and lacuni, dropped from 1.68 ias to
- 1.59 ias with my ik boots + crafted bracers.
- overall dps not much changes and ehp similar, but opens up opportunies for me to craft gloves now. Not sure is this worth it though.

Build 1.68: http://d3up.com/b/1022328
Build 1.59: http://d3up.com/b/1022314

Thanks in advance!
Been looking for some help on my barb, I played high resist / LoH sword and board barb on release. I've returned to grind out those paragon levels which I can grind paragon levels fine on mp8-9 but having issues soloing ubers on mp10.
I asked planet for some gear advice and he directed me to your thread.
"Tell him Planet said your the man for the job, you wont be disappointed."
I can budget about 3b, would I be wise to swap to a DW hota setup?
any help or upgrade suggestions would be greatly appreciated it, currently I've just been looking for a better rolled IK irons.
thank you in advance
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/kawaiine-1395/hero/815474
@Silverfire

We talked briefly in game but I'm still looking at ways to keep more up time on Berserker Rage while running HotA in Vault of the Assassin. I'm still experimenting but I thought I'd list some ideas and see what you think. I know you generally prefer Brawler but I feel it becomes too time consuming trying to position to hit 2 targets and keep 3 within 8 yards... I'm looking for the best/fastest option and haven't played with Brawler in a while. Ideally I just want to run in and position myself to hit as many as I can and with minimal effort cap my fury consistently. Lets assume I have a -5 HotA SoJ.

Mighty Weapon Mainhand - Yeah I lose 10% crit but 3 fury per hit might be enough to get my globe capped more often?

Overpower Momentum - With some good timing might be worth the 10% crit loss?

Superstition - Might be too situational, need to test.

Animosity - The extra fury generated and another 4% crit with HotA.

Breakpoint - 2.5 vs. 2.86? is 2.86 a significant enough gain in fury gen to impact Berserker Rage?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8568381059?page=2

good discussion in this thread
Well last night I was doing some timed vota and I'm starting to think that thunderstrike is the way to go again.

For berserker rage you have to hit two targets, no ifs ands or buts about it. Mighty weapon, animosity, hota reduction, whatever, its a must because you will always ultimately bleed fury. For brawler you have to have 3 within 8 yards, but the overall "precision" required seems lesser to me. Even if you miss a hota and are sitting with a half fury globe, you can still reap the rewards of brawler.

Anyways, ts is a plus for both. The proc coefficient makes it much weaker for berserker IF you aren't hitting 2 targets, but the keys are its larger aoe and stunning ability.

The biggest bottleneck I see in killing elites efficiently is them kiting, almost regardless of build. It's what makes ww/rend so strong because the aoe compensates. Thunderstrike both prevents it from happening much of the time and makes the positioning required for either berserker rage or brawler much easier. It surprises me a little that none of the top vota challenge times use it, but perhaps its just that everyone is on a low enough MP level that it doesn't matter.

Chaz doesn't seem to think a mw is worthwhile, and I think I agree. Overall the issue is that no matter how many tricks you use, you still need to rely on positioning, and overall, you can get very similar uptime with a conventional setup because of it. This is just my perception without any testing though.