HotA (Hammer of the Ancients) FAQ

Barbarian
Prev 1 6 7 8 21 Next
maybe we can trade to test and see how the other feels. I will say that the -5 lets me keep wrath better on vota runs compared to my -3.

I have a -5 cold I use on my ww/hota build and it is pretty awesome. The funny thing is that i notice my fury globe stays full only when I'm taking damage lol...obviously because of the additional fury gen.

If I could get a decent LS mainhand mace with other stats and decent DPS i would definitely make the move. Oh how I crave passive freedom.

*shakes fist at bloodthirst*

I have not doubt that with the proper LS weapon set, I can hit permawrath single target with the right passive selection with DW hota at 2.86. I'm pretty close as it is...
One thing i didnt see mentioned is that for lower end non whirlwind hota builds like myself ground stomp with wrenching smash is a good skill to use especially against fast moving elites and ubers.
@Spyky That build does work great for ubers. Used it myself a few months ago and loved it for the simple fact that could just stunlock kulle and not have to run around chasing him.

I haven't seen anybody in this thread mention -hota skull grasps. HoTA DPS goes way up if you can keep a maxed out fury globe, which opens the door for the Berserker Rage passive. I'm currently loving the !@#$ out of -9 HoTA from a skull grasp and SoJ pair and recommend others give it a try.

There are more effective ways to keep a full fury globe IMHO than to go past 5 reduction. Unsurprisingly, you can't use WotB:ToC with your setup. HotA Skull Grasps are a boutique item worth hundreds of millions on their own and not something that I'd generally recommend unless you really want to commit to a very pure HotA build without WotB as you have. On your budget, I'd rather use a DTWW/HotA hybrid with 5 reduction. Just my opinion. Would you be able to post some videos of your unique setup? I've tried 9 reduction myself, but as I said, WotB was borderline impossible to hold, and I didn't like it at all.

There are other ways to keep a full fury globe, just not while spamming HoTA, and only HoTA.

You're definitely right, you can't keep up WoTB:ToC. I'm figuring that keeping up the Berserker Rage Passive offsets the DPS loss from constant WoTB, but then on top of that i still have WoTB:insanity that gives more DPS within it's 30 seconds than 2 min if ToC as well. This combined with a Tyrael's leads to some very impressive 6 mil crits vs demon elites and 7 mil with a monk or wiz. A true Hammer of the Ancients. ;)

What program do people use to record themselves?
04/24/2013 04:35 PMPosted by Fizzlesprig
What program do people use to record themselves?

I use bandicam. Its free. Lets you record up to 10 min with a watermark. Works great with D3. Google it.
04/24/2013 01:38 PMPosted by xxxkan
Still waiting impatiently for my mempo after 3hrs... fricken blizzard needs to fix their system.

8 hours now :)
04/24/2013 07:14 PMPosted by xxxkan
Still waiting impatiently for my mempo after 3hrs... fricken blizzard needs to fix their system.

try listing a gem and cancelling the listing. THis sometimes makes the purchased item appear in your "completed tab."
04/24/2013 07:45 PMPosted by PhatPhoEater

try listing a gem and cancelling the listing. THis sometimes makes the purchased item appear in your "completed tab."

I tried buying an item and it showed up as 2 in collected tab, however the mempo wasn't there. I will try with the gem, thanks.

Just tried. My current completed tab is 33 (dont ask why :p) then after I cancelled gem it went to 35. However, mempo still did not show up and when I withdrew the gem the tab went back to 33.
i tried using a crap ik helm and 2 rare 1.2aps weapons on my female barb and could not stay alive in mp5 even with superstition. With only 2 slots of IAS I was hitting the 1.82 bp so that was not an issue. Kill times were decent but EHP wasn't enough. I even subbed in some rare pants with big vit and 60ish AR. I'm thinking at this gear level dropping the SOJ for a cc/str/AR ring might make some sense.

Any farming build that doesn't incorporate sprint is going to be slower even with faster elite kill times. It will also cause slower trash kill times since it lets you drop big aoe damage. HOTA is too slow to kill trash.

All right Phat, I think I hit all your requirements. 5m for dual wield DTWW set that can easily run rend/HotA hybrid, easily does MP3 Alkaizer in under 10 minutes. (actually MP3 is too low for it, I had a lot of difficulty holding wotb, even with MW MH and IK5) Has decent HotA/rend damage, and can easily farm MP5 VotA averaging roughly 20-30 seconds per elite (can go down as low as 10 secs if the conditions are right) while facetanking elites through rend/HotA, no superstition, no war cry.

As usual for me, very low on paper DPS, high on EHP, and high on functionality.

MP3 Alkaizer run: http://youtu.be/xv1gDNnsfEM
MP5 VotA: http://youtu.be/r5nuMdbjp8A

Edit: I looked at Corgon's video. His set's performance is very similar to mine, but I'd rather have mine anyways :p
Thank you, @Silverfire, for warning me not to put most of my fortune into -hota soj, and to try scoundrel. Need to thank @Anwin too - he also adviced against spending my money on -hota soj.

I bought some gear with better stats increasing my dps and ehp instead.
In my situation, gear upgrades provided better results. I regen fury via taking damage, -hota soj reduces my fury spent, thus crippling my wotb upkeep.
VS ubers I didnt notice any problems maintaining wotb without -hota soj, cause they deal tons of damage.

If you are on a low budget, I advice against buying -hota soj, better spend your gold elsewhere.
Thank you Silverfire for a great post.

So just to clarify, with an HoTA/Rend build(no WW), there would be no damage difference in having, say, 1.38(1.63 wotb) aps and 1.40(1.65) aps, except when using bash, etc.? (or in other words hota and rend damage would be identical at 38% ias gear and 40%?)

So just to clarify, with an HoTA/Rend build(no WW), there would be no damage difference in having, say, 1.38(1.63 wotb) aps and 1.40(1.65) aps, except when using bash, etc.? (or in other words hota and rend damage would be identical at 38% ias gear and 40%?)

1.42 is important because it allows you to maintain permawrath vs single targets.

04/24/2013 11:51 PMPosted by Aleas
If you are on a low budget, I advice against buying -hota soj, better spend your gold elsewhere.

I'll have to watch silver's video, but there is a huge difference in performance once you add hota reduction. Can you get by without it? of course. Does the pace of the game suffer? of course.

The caveat is that you need to have a set that can support an SOJ since you get no CC or IAS from it.
I use bandicam. Its free. Lets you record up to 10 min with a watermark. Works great with D3. Google it.

http://obsproject.com/

Best free casting/recording software on the market. No dumb watermarks or time limits either. For some reason though, every 3 hours it resets lol...

Other than that it is awesome.
Thank you, @Silverfire, for warning me not to put most of my fortune into -hota soj, and to try scoundrel. Need to thank @Anwin too - he also adviced against spending my money on -hota soj.

I bought some gear with better stats increasing my dps and ehp instead.
In my situation, gear upgrades provided better results. I regen fury via taking damage, -hota soj reduces my fury spent, thus crippling my wotb upkeep.
VS ubers I didnt notice any problems maintaining wotb without -hota soj, cause they deal tons of damage.

Hold on, that's not quite what I meant to convey anywhere. I'm going to say that if you don't use an echoing fury, and you can afford spending at least 50-60m on a ring, make it a non-cold HotA SoJ. But of course, don't spend half your character's worth on one. PhatPho is correct that the pace of the game suffers without one. You have to bash or ww more than you would with reduction. As I said in the opening post, it's almost mandatory in a non fury generator build, and not mandatory but recommended if you're using bash. Going above 5 (two slots like a SoJ + Skull Grasp) is something I would generally not recommend, because it's at that point that you can't dump fury quickly enough to keep WotB. A 3 or 4 is something I'd recommend if you can afford it.

Of course I didn't include one in a 5m gold set, it likely wouldn't have been possible to buy a -3 even with the whole budget. The 5m gold set uses both 5 piece IK and a mighty weapon mainhand in order to compensate. Ideally I probably should have also used unforgiving, but I couldn't resist sticking in brawler.

Yes, that's correct, but I'd recommend going to 42% anyways as it makes ww hybrids viable. Even for the purposes of HotA alone, you should try to hit the highest breakpoint you can.
I think I'm fairly content with where my HOTA/WW Hybrid is at this point. Definitely need to upgrade my HOTA Ring, but it seems like I can whack away at them pretty much indefinitely. Going to try and get an All resists Str WH next (yikes they're expensive). And maybe look to upgrade my LS skorn over time. And pick up some better Ice Climbers.

Start crafting Amulets too I imagine.

Thoughts/ Anything I'm missing here?
I think fitting AR into your lacunis might be the cheapest option, but you'll definitely have to sacrifice 1-2% CC. Depends on how much survivability you think you need. Overall though, your barb is in good shape to run a ww hybrid. More AR, armor and vit are what I'd try to change, and a little more HotA reduction will make things smoother, but that's not mandatory.
Day 2~ Still nothing...

Blizz has a sticky saying we have wait 3-4 days before submitting a ticket -.-
Day 2~ Still nothing...

Blizz has a sticky saying we have wait 3-4 days before submitting a ticket -.-

Damn, is this GAH or RMAH?
04/25/2013 08:49 AMPosted by silverfire

GAH
04/25/2013 09:00 AMPosted by xxxkan

GAH

I've had an EF get stuck in the AH for almost 3 days in the GAH. I had made and completed several purchases in between then all of the sudden it just appeared. Sucks when it happens :(