Uber boss fights - Guide for CM Wiz

Wizard
Patch 1.0.8 - guide is up to date

This guide is complete set of tactics and best practices CM Wizards found to date. I did hundreds of carries and becouse of many requests from new Wizards I decided to share all important stuff around Uber fights in just 1 place.

Applicable to builds: CM/WW, SNS http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004037930
Change it for better freeze if you need: Frost Nova rune Cold Snap + passive skill Evocation

Stats you need to freeze well: 50%cc@2.73AS when your latency is <150, or 55%+cc@2.73+AS when your latency is ~200.

Basics
- When you start the game you must be on the LAST quest of Act I
- There are 3 boss fights possible in 1 run
---- you need Infernal Machine to enter single boss fight, 3 if you want to do all 3 fights
---- in Act I town go into doors after healer, right click on Infernal Machine to open portal
---- you cannot open more than 1 portal at once
---- you cannot control which portal to which realm you'll open, it's random
- There are 2 bosses at once in each fight
---- pairs are Maghda+King, Rak+Ghom, Siege+Kulle
- Each pair of bosses drop Organ
---- you need 5 valors or organs will not drop
---- you can get 1 organ from each fight, nets you 3 organs from 3 fights total
---- MP10 is 100% chance of organ drop, while MP8 is 80% and so on
- With 3 different organs, you can craft Hellfire ring
---- you need to buy 2m golds design plan from Act II little girl Merchant under towns waypoint for your Jeweler for it

Prepare group
Ask them for teamwork. lols. If possible, ask group members to remove knockback, pets and doublecheck skills / machines. Ask Barbs if they can use HOTA - hammer - build. If group is tanky, optimize Monk buffs for group dmg (but keep in mind that same buffs from more Monks doesn't stack). If group is glassy, ask Barbs for War Cry...

Get 5 stacks, with XP and loot
You need to get 5 naphalem valors, so get them in Fastering Woods. For XP and better drops, I skip Crypths of the Ancients and go into Leorics Manor (go back from waypoint, upstairs, downstairs and out where elites are always) or/and Cathedral 3 to get all 5 valors first. Then I go back to Crypths for extra loot if you want.

Kill dat Ubar bosses!

Maghda+King
* how to make Mag to bubble without random waitings: stop freezing 5 seconds before she will hit every 1/4 of life. She will always instabubble this way
! don't tank Kings walk if you are under 350k EHP and 25% dodge
! when King is dead, Maghda will not bubble until you kill all his skeletons

Start with walk + port to Mag (don't get hit by King), freeze her and...

a) If you are ranged class alone in group, position yourself on Mag thru whole fight. King will be porting to you all the time and that will help you freeze better as both bosses will be stacked body on body.

b) If there are other ranged fellas in group, try to convince them do all same tactics like above. If they cannot do it for whatever reason, go old school and all on King.

When King is dead, stop freezing Mag every time her life is at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 so she can bubble. Then kill minions and again.

Ghom+Rak
* u need them stacked body on body with zero distance between them so Barbs, who do kickass dmg, can hit both at once for a whole fight

Ghom is always walking towards you, so, position yourself and others on Raks side so Ghom can come close enought into your freeze. Smash ur keyboard till bosses are killed.

Siege+Kulle
! Don't go close to Siege or he will pick you up - some1 from party MUST be closer to him than you, all the time
! Sieges reflect is huge
! Monk using exploding palm need to time their Serenity/use Near death experenice when Kulle dies so that they stay alive through the reflected explosion
! Kulles bubble is you doing bad job
! if bait has some kind of passive dmg spell like Storm Armor, ask him to turn it off so Sieges reflect will not hurt him

Start with walk + port to Kulle, to his right side (far from Siege), start freeze. Other group members should follow you and finally stand in same spot as you. Siege will come to you and when he will hit the area of effect of your freeze, just permafreeze until Kulle is down.

When Kulle is down, port yourself into Sieges center to pick up all health globes that will pop up there during fight; helps others fight against reflect

If you will fail in freeze and bosses will run all on their own, go all for Kulle - Siege will again come to you.

Other tips
- key to freeze well is stacking bosses body on body: you will get 2x procs at once, hence 2x better freeze
- lobby method: when you want someone to go into lobby (low DPS/survivability), ask him to open portal first, then leave to lobby (menu) but to stay in group and to wait for your signal. Then call him BEFORE last boss of every bosses fight will die. Your lobby guy enters game, you can finish last boss and call lobby guy to port to you via your flag for loot (organ too).
- positioning allies: ask them to go exactly to place where you put your flag, whenever you do it

Updates and more tips will follow when they will pop up.
04/29/2013 09:29 AMPosted by RobertVarga
bait can identify items while in the air picked by Siege, getting hugs

Nice tip, did not know, and lol
at 2.74 breakpoint i find i am unable to perma lock kulle .. am i doing this wrong / too slow or do i need to be in 3.01+ range for this to be reliable? or is this even possible ?
pretty sure i tried with 3+ but nothing really gets perma frozen anymore (not even elite packs) - they still at least use the arcane/desecrate or frozen type things (even if they appear 'frozen')

i can solo those guys but, even so, they get loose now and again, and no matter what i do (i've tried with 3.01 bp) - kulle will eventually port out or bubble me

on another note, i died a quite a bit on maghda / skel king until i started following her more (king will follow / teleport to you anyway) - at least for me - i found that eating the bees non stop wasnt all that fun.
have to switch out to diamond skin shell rune to keep up for that fight.
Added stats minisection on top of OP, and 2 tips into Other tips section for you.
@Silicon: What's your latency? If you're latency is pretty high, it may not be possible for you to permafreeze Kulle.

Also, on the Kulle fight what are you doing as far as strategy? Are you stacking both ubers on your energy twisters (ie Kulle and Seige should both be touching your twisters)? This by far the most effective way to keep Kulle locked down until he dies. For example, I can lockdown Kulle where he never sneaks in an action with: 55%cc, 2.74aps, Frost Nova (Bone Chill), and 120ms Latency.
Yeps, added to OP, thanks Tekk
latency pretty low, usually under 100ms

i'm only at 51% cc, so maybe ill try and bump that up a little.
comfortably at 2.74aps with options of gear

thanks, good to know it's possible, just experience :)
appreciate the advice
latency pretty low, usually under 100ms

i'm only at 51% cc, so maybe ill try and bump that up a little.
comfortably at 2.74aps with options of gear

thanks, good to know it's possible, just experience :)
appreciate the advice

at 50cc i was not able to get stack lock all the time at 100-130ms ping using bone chill (had a non cc mempo at one time), luckily i had an adorable lil andy helm that i used for ubers that put me at 54cc
and i could lock at that cc

edit:arent u at 56 cc? or do u use different gear for ubers?
Why do I have the feeling I was the cause of this thread...

Well done !
04/29/2013 11:10 AMPosted by SteelPhantom

ahhh hmmm oops.
i read the d3 profile cc% which did seem off :)
according to d3up im at 57.5

think im just 'doing it wrong'
i will practice some more.

for me, personally, biggest stumbling block is the maghda / skel king
rest is cake, even if kulle moves i can easily reposition and adjust - i am just not able to perma freeze : i needed confirmation that it CAN be done.

the constant bees and arcane sentries from mag are the biggest pain for me :)
Thanks for the guide. I added a link to it in my CMWW guide, if you don't mind.
Please add...

When you start the game you must be on the LAST quest of act 1.

I can't tell you how many times I have been in games where they were on the butcher quest or some nonsense and nobody noticed until after we 5-stacked.
great post. will be better if you have some video demonstrating the teamplay, so that teammates don't complain.
04/29/2013 11:21 AMPosted by Silicon

ahhh hmmm oops.
i read the d3 profile cc% which did seem off :)
according to d3up im at 57.5

think im just 'doing it wrong'
i will practice some more.

for me, personally, biggest stumbling block is the maghda / skel king
rest is cake, even if kulle moves i can easily reposition and adjust - i am just not able to perma freeze : i needed confirmation that it CAN be done.

the constant bees and arcane sentries from mag are the biggest pain for me :)

I am 61% crit 2.74 aps, and I run cold snap and evo... I am still not happy with my freeze ability on mags. When I wand swap to 61% crit@ 3.01 aps it is better, but still not perfect. I doubt the problem is strictly you doing it wrong... it is just plain not possible to 100% shut her down.
Isn't it possible to do SB + Kulle without anyone getting grabbed by SB while Kulle is alive? just position them so that people stay far enough from SB while Kulle is alive
04/29/2013 12:44 PMPosted by Loroese
Thanks for the guide. I added a link to it in my CMWW guide, if you don't mind.

Thanks!

Please add...

When you start the game you must be on the LAST quest of act 1.

I can't tell you how many times I have been in games where they were on the butcher quest or some nonsense and nobody noticed until after we 5-stacked.

Omw added to Basics, thanks
04/29/2013 01:16 PMPosted by Goner
Isn't it possible to do SB + Kulle without anyone getting grabbed by SB while Kulle is alive? just position them so that people stay far enough from SB while Kulle is alive

nope needs some redonk combination of ias and cc. been a long time since a friend tested it out for me but i belive it was something like 3.something, 60cc and an azurewrath to keep seige from grabbing

oh and Robert excellent guide. possibly a tip on fact that monk using exploding palm need to time their serenity/use Near death experenice when zulton kulle dies so that they stay alive through the reflected explosion
04/29/2013 03:21 PMPosted by SteelPhantom

nope needs some redonk combination of ias and cc. been a long time since a friend tested it out for me but i belive it was something like 3.something, 60cc and an azurewrath to keep seige from grabbing

oh and Robert excellent guide. possibly a tip on fact that monk using exploding palm need to time their serenity/use Near death experenice when zulton kulle dies so that they stay alive through the reflected explosion

Thanks! Added. So true, lol
Patch 1.0.7 - guide is up to date

Haven done this for quite a while, but I recall I was able to choose which ones to open, just move to the position of whichever portal you want and activate the IM, since SK/Mag is always on the left, Ghom in the centre and SB on the right. I always start the SK fight first, then SB, then Ghom, in order of the time I take the longest to complete.

Then again, I may be wrong...
Patch 1.0.7 - guide is up to date

Haven done this for quite a while, but I recall I was able to choose which ones to open, just move to the position of whichever portal you want and activate the IM, since SK/Mag is always on the left, Ghom in the centre and SB on the right. I always start the SK fight first, then SB, then Ghom, in order of the time I take the longest to complete.

Then again, I may be wrong...

you are wrong, its completely random. do sufficient number of times, you see you won't be able to control it.