Pros outweigh the Cons for a D3 Ladder

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 10 Next
I have some modifications for your rules. It is imperative for the ladder to be the next step up from hardcore.

- ladder characters are hardcore
- no AH
- add 5 character slots

This would be my heaven for a while :)
One problem would be that we only have 10 character slots per account and one account per cdkey.

I don't think people would want to delete their old ladder toons to make way for new ones. I know I wouldn't.

I also wouldn't buy this game again to make room for new ladder toons.

That! is a big con.
A ladder is just what the Botter's and Flipper's want. The richest players get to buy there way to the top while the botters get rich. The flippers buy enough startup gold to support their manipulation of the "new" economy and they rake in the cash from off-site sales or the AH. The average player is still stuck in the same situation, they want to improve but the cost is just another kick in the crotch.

I happen to enjoy D3, but if a ladder is started I'll just find a new game to play. One that isn't dominated by cheaters and profiteers.
A ladder is just what the Botter's and Flipper's want. The richest players get to buy there way to the top while the botters get rich. The flippers buy enough startup gold to support their manipulation of the "new" economy and they rake in the cash from off-site sales or the AH. The average player is still stuck in the same situation, they want to improve but the cost is just another kick in the crotch.

I happen to enjoy D3, but if a ladder is started I'll just find a new game to play. One that isn't dominated by cheaters and profiteers.

I'd hope that if a ladder was ever implemented that a) AH wouldn't exist with ladder characters and b) players competing would be monitored and banned for off-site sales. If this wasn't the case I wouldn't be very compelled to compete as it would be totally imba.

On that note, would it even be possible for off-site sales during a ladder tournament? Seeing as you can't trade with sc/hc players and (hopefully) have no access to AH, I don't see how gold sellers even would amass such a huge fortune that quickly.

Obviously this is only applicable if the ladder players were scrupulously monitored for cheating or botting.

troll. ladder wouldn't have an ah

I'd hope that if a ladder was ever implemented that a) AH wouldn't exist with ladder characters and b) players competing would be monitored and banned for off-site sales. If this wasn't the case I wouldn't be very compelled to compete as it would be totally imba.

On that note, would it even be possible for off-site sales during a ladder tournament? Seeing as you can't trade with sc/hc players and (hopefully) have no access to AH, I don't see how gold sellers even would amass such a huge fortune that quickly.

Obviously this is only applicable if the ladder players were scrupulously monitored for cheating or botting.

Botters run multiple accounts 24 hours a day, they'll have plenty of gold to sell in no time at all.

Scrupulously monitored? You mean like how Blizzard currently handles gold spammers (aka botters) now or how they handle dupers? Or do you mean they monitor the game like they monitor these forums? Or should they monitor the game like they monitor the AH?
Honestly, not a bad idea just void out RMAH for ladder gaming and leave RMAH so non ladder but the only thing is blizzard wont get money from making a ladder then which is probably why they havent done it in the first place...
I'm against a ladder system which has advantages compared to non-ladder. It shouldn't force any non-ladder player to play ladder. If it won't include things like "ladder-only runewords" then I'm okay with it. Otherwise NO.
add a ladder to the game, it will make it more enjoyable.
This is not going to be the most comprehensive post and too much in detail but please, i'd like to see peoples comments to this.

Ladder benefits outweight not having one. Period.

1. Gives those who like to compete a chance to with a ladder.
2. Removes items from the economy every so often, to include any dupes or an abundance of a certain item
3. Wipes the economy clean.
4. Items become valueable again even if just for a little bit.
5. makes the game feel new and fresh, for some, for me it certainly did.
6. You do not "lose" anything when on non ladder. You bought from the RMAH? Doesn't matter, your character is still there, nothing lost.
7. Blizzard makes MORE MONEY from the RMAH. New ladder, new items to sell again, more profit for blizzard AND the sellers!

I could add many more but Twins game is on. I see almost NO negative effects for having a ladder, literally everyone profits on every level. Period. The only excuse or anit- ladder comment I saw was due to the RMAH, thats it. But again, it benefits the RMAH on blizzard and seller side.

If someone has a counter to this, besides the RMAH, please let me know.

A ladder would be awesome.
Couldn't agree more with the OP.
mby i understand wrong that ladder thing, but tell me one retard who would buy anything for real money if after reset that item will not be there anymore?
I'd still honestly like to see someone come up with good reasons NOT to have a ladder. I have yet to see any. RMAH is not a good reason either because it can still work. Playing on NL will mean nothing different in your game play that you are currently doing now.

Anyone?

The only reason I don't want a ladder right now (and those are the key words for my post... right now) is because the game is still broken. I would rather they fix the itemization, make maps random, and fix other issues with the gameplay before putting out a ladder. The ladder itself is not going to fix itemization, or the fact that the maps are never really random. A ladder might bring people back for a bit but what fun is grinding to say plvl 100 when you still find crap legendaries all the time, if you find them at all? If they fix the core issues with the game I am fine if they implement a ladder but all these ladder vs. non ladder posts are putting the cart before the horse.
I dont know why people are so against the AH. In every way peopel compare d3 to d2. In d2 people would trade or use d2jsp to find ways to get gear to level faster and higher. Its the same concept. If you remove the AH d2jsp will get more business. Either way people crave economy and all humans are selfish and driven towards an increase. Ladder will work whether there is a AH or not. I personally think that they should make a seperate server with a seperate AH. The only issue I see with this is the max number of toons one can create on thier account.
There is one fundamental problem with D3 that undermines ladder play more than having a RMAH. Both the level cap and the paragon level cap are complete jokes compared to a traditionally grindy RPG. They'd have to add another arbitrary set of pseudo-levels just to provide some metric for the ladder and race.
If they create a ladder, ladder season - They should disable the auction house for ladder players.. when ladder season is over the characters are pushed in to non-ladder thus enabling all items farmed from ladder to be ah'able.
The RMAH makes any ladder system illegitimate because it's Pay-to-Win. Even with in-game gold (AH/GAH), you have players buying their gold with real money on the RMAH so even using the AH makes it an unfair playing field.

Why would any player who doesn't use the RMAH try to compete in a ladder system with players that do use the RMAH? That's not competing, that's "who's willing to spend the most money" and makes any ladder system a joke. Dual-wield credit cards FTW.

This Con trumps all Pros IMO.
The RMAH makes any ladder system illegitimate because it's Pay-to-Win. Even with in-game gold (AH/GAH), you have players buying their gold with real money on the RMAH so even using the AH makes it an unfair playing field.

Why would any player who doesn't use the RMAH try to compete in a ladder system with players that do use the RMAH? That's not competing, that's "who's willing to spend the most money" and makes any ladder system a joke. Dual-wield credit cards FTW.

This Con trumps all Pros IMO.

I think most people who are pro ladder don't want rmah involved with it. I'd love it without regular AH as well, but gold ah would be alright if it was there (obviously a separate one for ladder only)
Uh... for the people who says they don't want AH, remember that we (me, anyway) would just use third party site to trade. Those who are unfamiliar with it will get scammed. People who decide to "trade" outside the AH open themselves to scams.

D2's trading is outdated... or do you intend to make everything BoA?
I would 100% return to playing Diablo 3 if they implemented a ladder system.

Until then, I'll be playing Dota 2.