here comes the roll back peeps

Aus/NZ General Discussion
i havn't been in game yet, but are the ah's locked out and people can only play the normal grind at this point?

what about my gear i put up for sale a couple days ago but never checked pre patch?
i havn't been in game yet, but are the ah's locked out and people can only play the normal grind at this point?

what about my gear i put up for sale a couple days ago but never checked pre patch?

Both AH's are offline and gold trades between players are locked atm.

Items that where on the AH would have expired and will be waiting on the completed tab by now, but you won't be able to access them atm.
I believe they are doing this case by case...I know someone duped trillions of gold got notified by Blizz personally and will be rolled back...nothing mentioned about banning this person though....

It is pretty fail that this happened to start off with.

In terms of mob density...it is good...but I am P100 already so mot much use...more mobs and lower drop rate equals same legendary drop rate as before so I guess not much have changed....but my archon is pretty much always on. Boring though.

My belt also went missing...sigh....
Narull

You are a gentleman and an asset to the community. Thank you for your response, it gives me some comfort.

It will be difficult to mend Blizzards reputation without a rollback. I have been discussing this issue on other forums and there are a lot of great players who are intent on leaving the game, once again not because of the error, but because of the response to it. And by great I mean players who are dedicated to the game and spend countless hours on the forums helping others in the community, the players who make the game great.

More than anything Blizzard needs to repair it's reputation and show that it has integrity. Quiet rollbacks and behind the scenes tinkering I feel will provide no comfort to the general community. Instead it needs to make a statement. Otherwise this game will dwindle and I would hate for that to happen.
thanks Narull, that makes me feel a bit better about it.

So at least i can just play the game and try and enjoy the patch features without thinking too much about how the ah will be.. i hope lol.

I was so excited about the patch features too and really enjoyign the game but now i keep thinking... god i would love to do a little editing and just be at the end game now, all those fun memories of D2 editing are coming back lol
Morpheus,

I will agree on that point, it's not making an example of people, but it's that blizzard need to show they are doing stuff. I've been trying to think how they can go about this though because I still do think a complete rollback punishes more then it helps.

What would make you guys happy in that regards? not so much the rollback but what information is it you want to see to have a little more faith or for blizz to gain some rep back? I can't garantee anything coming of it but I'll happily pass things on.

It is a PR nightmare, I don't think anyone is denying that one, but there is no way blizz will reveal who they ban or such. hmm
Narull

It's good to actually talk to someone and get a response. I think a lot of the lack of faith stems from the fact that Blizzard never seem to make much effort in this department.

If you look at that scary place called the General Discussions Forum, 99% of players want a roll back. I know that they do not want to disadvantage innocent people but by far the general consensus is that a rollback is the only way to save the integrity of the game. And I would have to agree with that. I hope they reconsider their position come morning.

Thanks again mate.
If you look at that scary place called the General Discussions Forum, 99% of players want a roll back. I know that they do not want to disadvantage innocent people but by far the general consensus is that a rollback is the only way to save the integrity of the game. And I would have to agree with that. I hope they reconsider their position come morning.

With all due respect Morpheus, 99% of the posters on the General Discussions Forum do not represent the total player base, of which only a small percentage actually frequent the forums. I am sure Blizz took this into consideration when making the decision not to roll back.
Septimus

That could indeed be true. I guess you would have to take into consideration sampling error. If 1% of the player base visit the forums and post, is this 1% a reliable cohort to extrapolate to the rest of the community? I see no reason why it should not be considered a good sample of the player base as a whole. Also, there is the adage that, for every person that complains, there are many more who are unhappy but remain silent.

In either case, it seems that the vast majority of the innocent player base wish to have a roll back. I am not sure if you visit the Barbarian forums but we have players such as Death, Wayneold and Celanian, some of the major contributors to those forums stating they will leave the game as a result of this decision. I am uncertain as to how much clearer the general consensus needs to be.
however freezing the AH's is a really nice way of putting a stop to any funny business while they sort it all out, think abotu it, the only reason you want gold is so that you can do AH business (how much of this will realisticly go into crafting?) yes people will probably make awesome gems and try their hand at perfectly rolled account bound gear.

but in teh long run having a frozen AH means that money adn gold is essentially usless and i'm happy abotu that... now if they remove the AH's and make the game offline friendly and mod friendly... omg yes epic win lol but okay i'm just dreaming now.

untill they figure out the best way to tackle this gold issue a frozen AH is a rather handy way of making the gold useless to a degree, having account bound gems and gear is cool since its of no use to anyone but the player so the gold sink works now with a suspended AH, hopefully the money will dissolve sumwhat.
I'm hoping this debacle will blow over soon to be honest a bit sick of the same roll back pitch forks as being the one single topic sabotaging every post now.
At least the Aus/NZ forums aren't as bad cept for the one post I can see

as I have said in the general input

I'm also one who doesn't play this game for the economy, my upgrades were all from drops and yes it took me almost one year to get past the 100k dps mark i didn't rely on AH for upgrades.
The value of hard work can be earned but its your choice of not using the AH , flipping or taking advantage of exploits to be the 'rich circles'. then when human error is made like the recent exploit its wall street hysteria. It certainly doesn't affect me if some unknown person who i will never play with took advantage of the exploit at the risk of getting banedd. It doesn't change my gameplay.
I'm not for or against the rollback it just ain't a big deal for me , it's just a game.
If insulting the developers and throwing sarcastic banter would get blizzard to fix things, has it worked for anyone yet? did it contribute to fixing the game? does it make us better? if so i would of jumped in with the crowd in the same bandwagon already.

There are some people calling for removing the AH / RMAH from the game permanently for some reason i know some of the roll back demanders don't want this as they still want to maintain their profit value/investments that they held before the exploit.

As Jessie J puts it in her 'price tag' song:

♪♪Seems like everybody's got a price
I wonder how they sleep at night
When the sale comes first and the truth comes second
Just stop for a minute and smile
Why is everybody so serious?
Acting so damn mysterious
You got your shades on your eyes and your heels so high
That you can't even have a good time
♪♪

It seems by now and by what narull is saying they will be pursuing the offenders with their logging and tracking systems, a roll back is unlikely. Do what yous can, move on and work on 1.09 itemization please :)
Even if they can do the trace back dupers and people taking advantage of ridiculous inflation due to duping they probably only address serious cases lets be honest Blizzard made a lot of money yesterday and they arent big on returning it.
Additionally you have people giving away duped items and gold (thrown on ground) and then switched over multiple accounts. Was seen on multiple streams. The fact is blizzard doesnt have the man power to check every little thing and people get away.
I have friends that duped gold once just "accidentally" testing it and they have been fine. Without a full roll-back there will be crazy amounts of duped gold and items.
Not to mention 3rd party sites already made their gold cheaper then the 10mill per 0.25cents so you know they would have made crazy amounts of gold because thats all they do in the game.
Blizzard are currently going through every transaction made from 1.08 launch, both AH/RMAH and trades.

Lylirra updated the thread in general about it.

This really is the best course of action all and it will be the same result as a rollback just it doesn't punish anyone.

In reply to Morpheus, the forums are a tiny percentage of players, there is several hundred thousand people playing daily and even more on patch days, the forums have far far less, less then 50,000 honestly it's prob less then 10,000. But because on a forum even 100 people can make a post go quick it looks like a lot.

Take the polls people have made, I saw one that was 9 hours old, was up to 9 pages of replies but only 660 people had voted, just shows how tiny the amount of posters on the forums are.

As for me replying compared to blizz, bottom line is I don't officially work for blizz so I can say what ever I like and the only risk is a ban or removing my MVP status. Blizz employees risk there job if they post whatever they want and also anything officially said by the CMs has to get approval from several people which really takes time.

I agree it sucks but think about if a CM posted something and then a dev said wtf why did you say that? Things would only get worse.
Narull, thanks for your updates.

One thing I'm seeing a lot of on the forums is that people think the damage will be permanent. I work in software, and I understand how the transactions can be reversed, but a lot of people don't seem to get that. They think there will always be trillions (at least) more gold in the system and so gold-based trading i.e. the AH will be essentially worthless.

Lylirra has said they're going through and reversing, but I wonder if that point could be stressed a bit more. Something like "we expect to be able to reverse the great majority of duped gold transactions and the sales that resulted from them". I don't want to put words in your mouth, but if you are communicating with Blizz maybe you could suggest that line of reassurance.
I'm happy to suggest such things and I do agree, just remember even if the CMs agree with it as well it still has to be approved by others.

I think being as detailed as possible would be the best way for blizz to show they did/are removing and changing transactions to gain back player faith.
Narull is right - it will be fixed and it will never be the same again

The AH has killed the thrill of collecting sets built up from D2 and also conformed our game to the "must have now" mindset of todays society, I use it - but I also think that d3 will not have the longevity that d2 enjoyed as a result.

I am putting a self ban on the AH - what I find is what I will use... slows progress - but thems the biscuits.
the proof will be in the gold prices. if they hit rock bottom...and items skyrocket even worse than they are, it will be completely obvious to all players that nothing was taken care of. I believe that gold prices were at 26c/mil roughly a week and a half ago. Unfortunately for everyone botters already flooded third party websites with cheap gold causing item prices to soar to unaffordable prices for casual players...even hardcore grinders would find it awfully difficult to amass billions of gold for one item purchase...which just goes to show blizz lost control of the gold economy long ago. as unfortunate as it is, there truly are only a few options to fix the current issue, none of which are too appealing to either side. Rollbacks would seemingly fix the situation. players would recoup the xp and gains eventually and the economy would stabalize itself. at least to where it was. (which still was out of control.) i fully believe that there is NO way that each and every duper can be found and that all the ill gotten gains will ever be removed, meaning at some point somewhere down the road, the gold economy will once again be compromised and make it impossible for casual players to purchase enough gold to make a difference.

again, its a difficult choice either way. and as it is actually blizzards fault this happened in the first place, maybe they should let the player base decide what action to take concerning a full rollback or not. i fully believe that the fear of items becoming too overpriced for anyone to obtain would make everyone agree for a rollback, regardless of the loss they personally incure.

my favorite part of the game is the ability to go into the auction house and try out different items. while the daily grind is still vaguely fun, being able to customize a character to do the things you want to do in the game seems to be the biggest reason for people to buy gold from the rmah, which after the initial purchase, is blizzards only source of recurring income. To destroy that, would be punching their gifthorse in the mouth. rollback or not, i hope the gold economy stabalizes as being able to goto work, make money...give it to blizz and do what i enjoy is the only reason i still play the game. i make plenty of money...but if i cant afford to customize my characters the way i want..well then i certainly won't be wasting my time or money anymore. end of story.
Hmmm, perhaps there is something to be said for having a ladder in D3 after all.
...Also, there is the adage that, for every person that complains, there are many more who are unhappy but remain silent...

The adage actually says that for every complaint, there are 10+ who are satisfied.