1.08 MP10 videos - update: Dr. Tekk's Liquify

Wizard
Prev 1 2 3 8 Next
Really enjoying your build posts here, Malakai. Treasure trove of refereneces for fresh ideas. Best part is how these builds capture the thrill of melee D3 combat. About as fun as that can get for the wizard class.

Also wanted to put in a plug for your Sleet Storm + Arcane Mines build. Brilliant idea to stack their damage like that, insanely powerful. I even found that the mines can feed my 2.0 APS Sleet Storm channels, and at a far better per AP cost than Twisters did for me previously. Thanks for the idea, I'm converted. Also I found that using Blizzard in this build adds a ranged component into the Sleet Storm build. I lose the immense damage of CM/Explosive Blast, but it makes setting up runner mobs for the kill much more tolerable than just chasing them down, at least for me.

I like the freeze-when-sensible nature of your Entropy build, which I agree is a natural fit with your elegant use of Meteor. I think that's the kind of luxury big-time life steal can afford wizards, especially those who like channeling spells.

A last note: if anyone has survival issues using these melee builds, try Force Armor. That plus any amount of life steal means a tough wizard to bring down, especially with Safe Passage in your back pocket. Not good for DPS, but Force Armor can simulate Malakai's superb mitigation gear. This trick works for me, and should hold me over until I get my mitigation upgraded.
Updated with another Chaos Nexus build, this one using Frost Nova: Deep Freeze for some sexy crit and stutter-freeze action.

Video link:

http://youtu.be/zuUGWA84Pk4

From the description:

Build used:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#RSYjhO!bWg!ZZYacZ

Another Chaos Nexus variation that works quite well up to MP10. I die at the very end, but you get the idea of the build way before that.

Despite my aversion to Frost Nova, this one utilizes it as a means of keeping up with Archon in the damage and survivability department. 15% extra crit from Deep Freeze cannot be overlooked, and it's something that Archon cannot utilize in Archon form, thus helping to balance things somewhat along with CM + Chain Reaction. With the mob density increase this patch, you can keep the Deep Freeze buff up quite frequently (almost forever if you're smart about it).

Notice how quickly Chaos Nexus can reset cooldowns with CM in the build when hitting multiple targets. If you micro Frost Nova (cast it only when the freeze wears off of mobs instead of mindlessly spamming it), you can achieve a pretty decent stutter-lock on groups.

I prefer to use Chain Reaction in the build instead of Living Lightning + Arcane Dynamo because I think it's more dps when coupled with CM, and it hits everything around you. Even if it's not more dps (haven't actually done the math yet, but it should at least be close), you don't have to rely on having to restack to 5 AD every single time you move, get feared, get knocked back, or start on a new pack. So for me, the flow of combat is much more fluid this way.

I use Evocation passive to reduce the cooldowns a little bit, but you can use anything here really. Blur is a good option if you need more melee mitigation. Astral Presence could be good if you don't have enough cost reduction from gear yet. Glass Cannon if you're high on mitigation already and find that what you have is overkill and want more dps without spending gold. And of course, Unstable Anomaly can save you in a pinch, especially when farming areas with mobs that can one or two shot you.

For this video, I'm at 311k self-buffed dps, but that doesn't count Deep Freeze buff. 60% CC + 15% when DF is active, so 75% total. 2.0 APS with -8 Disintegrate cost reduction (5 from helm, 3 from Skull Grasp ring) and 20 APoC (10 each from helm and source) and I have zero AP problems. If I ever do run dry on high HP single yellow elites, I just stop spamming Chain Reaction and watch my AP globe shoot to full in a few seconds. 3% Lifesteal from weapon, about 44k HP, 6600 Armor with Energy Armor on, and 950-ish All Resist.

Note that I can get up to the next breakpoint with Disintegrate (roughly 2.23 APS, which would give me 7.5 ticks per second) and still not have any AP issues, but I lose too much HP and mitigation doing so with the gear I have available.

Specific gear is in my profile, but it might change at some point when I swap specs:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Malakai-1265/hero/26906933

Music is from the album "Aion" by Lithium Dawn.

Enjoy.
@ Milesan

Thanks for the kind words. And I'm glad that some of this is inspiring others with their builds.

About the Arcane Mines thing. It's funny you mention it because when I was first messing around with it + Sleet Storm, I kept thinking about you and your SS+WW build and how similar it was only less AP intensive. Glad it worked out in your build.

And yea, I normally don't like using Frost Nova, but with the density changes it's just way too hard to ignore almost constant 15% extra crit. In the new Chaos Nexus build I posted, it gives me over 50k extra sheet dps with the gear I have. How do you say no to that? But I don't want to incorporate it into every build I post about it unless it makes sense. I think coming up with a function build without FN first, and THEN adding it once you iron out the kinks is a better approach. Because there are times when it's not always going to be available, and if your build falls apart during one of those times, then it's not a functional build IMO.

It's also crazy the amount of survivability FN affords you. With my normal Sleet Storm build, for example, I can replace Reactive Armor with Power of the Storm (which 100% fixes the AP issues the build has) and then replace Sparkflint with Deep Freeze. I'm then able to drop down to like 4300 armor and 850 AR, add a ton of IAS, and just roll MP10 with no problem whatsoever with AP or survivability. And it does a lot more DPS, too. I'll post a video of that sometime soon, too.

Anyhow, glad to see you still around. Hope to hear more about the progress on your build soon.
ntropy + Meteor: Molten Impact

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#RPYQhT!XWg!YaYaaZ

Video link:

http://youtu.be/ZIc3iCfdOS0

Huh. So this is what love feels like.
I switch to my kiting gear from time to time to escape from twisters stereotype and i have to tell you I had a lot of fun yesterday when i tried some of your builds. It worked quite good for me up to MP8 due to my sucky kiting gear.
Great work Malakai, ejnoyed your vids.
05/10/2013 01:23 AMPosted by Malakai
It's funny you mention it because when I was first messing around with it + Sleet Storm, I kept thinking about you and your SS+WW build and how similar it was only less AP intensive.

I'm not surprised you remember my wizard, after having seen my torment that was WW+SS. I mean, until your recent post showed me otherwise, I thought WW was the only way to feed SS at high APS. Your discovery has shown me a far better way and at least gives me hope of advancing my mutant wizard. Before, I was really stuck and everyone told me to just give it up, so thank you.

05/10/2013 01:23 AMPosted by Malakai
And yea, I normally don't like using Frost Nova, but with the density changes it's just way too hard to ignore almost constant 15% extra crit.

This reminds of Aimless' posts in which he laments the power of FN. I think that it's perfectly fine, and it's something that Blizzard intended the wizard to have all along. The real issue is how each player decides to use the immense power of FN. In the min-max world, SNS is the ultimate solution, which is precisely how good old D2 did things (and all other ARPGs to date). With D3, I feel Blizzard wanted to take players away from the min-max model, for whatever reason, and I believe your prolific build experiments in this space capture the spirit of what Blizzard intended to be fun in D3. I'm even more convinced of this after hearing your organic approach to incorporating FN into a build, this as opposed to the ultra technical SNS world of min-max FN. For better or worse, I think Blizzard wanted players to organically improvise their own builds (D3), rather than just follow build guides (D2).

By the way, last night I got a drop that completed a Chant set, so I tried being a SNS freeze wizard for my first time (at the 2.5 breakpoint and 161k damage). Wow, is all I can say. My arms hurt, but so did the monsters. Funny thing is how neither the monsters nor myself could do anything about said pain; I was as frozen as they were. Not sure I can do this thing, man.

Yeah, I'm always around, reading and learning. It's just I have nothing to say, since my wizard doesn't freeze nor Archon.
Malakai, I'm looking at your profile right now and the build you have there looks really interesting. Plus with all that crit for sleet storm on your gear, what's the build like? What kind of ehp do you need to use it?
Malakai, i just noticed... you're gloves's a trifecta but it was vit XD i got fooled this last few weeks lol
It's a thing where your builds are starting to look more and more like SNS.

Frost nova
Explosive blast
Storm armor
Cold Blooded
Critical mass

All staples of the SNS build. I guess there comes to a point where you would be like F it, I'm just gonna play SNS lol. I would say currently the only difference is that you're using a channeled ability to proc FN, EB instead of wicked wind, but then again, WW Is probably a lot better to proc those abilities with.

In coming up with my channel build, I wanted to avoid critical mass for that reason, didn't really want to end up with a clone of SNS with like 1 skill changed out.
05/10/2013 08:24 PMPosted by Shelrabbi
Malakai, I'm looking at your profile right now and the build you have there looks really interesting. Plus with all that crit for sleet storm on your gear, what's the build like? What kind of ehp do you need to use it?

The setup I have right now is my "I Do Almost 4 Million Dps to Elites When Deep Freeze Buff Is Active" setup. It's pretty comical how fast everything dies. Killing trash mobs in half a second is pretty fun. XD

I have a 1-handed Sleet Storm setup that has 96.5% Sleet Storm crit and 1.88 APS (4 SS ticks per second) that does about the same dps and can almost permafreeze.

It's mostly all just to see how far I can push the build without putting any restrictions on myself.

If you use Frost Nova in the Sleet Storm build, you don't need much EHP. I'm getting away with 4300 armor, 900-ish AR, and a bit over 47k HP and have no issues at all on MP10. The 1-handed setup with Frost Nova has a lot more armor because it uses Pinpoint Barrier.
05/10/2013 10:36 PMPosted by yems
Malakai, i just noticed... you're gloves's a trifecta but it was vit XD i got fooled this last few weeks lol

Yea, ever since the crafting patch I've been trying to make some gloves of Vit that have an Int roll, AR, and trifecta. This was the closest I ever got. 200 int, 230 vit, 70+ AR, 9/50/10 I think is the best you can get for gloves of Vit. If you don't need the AR, then 300, 330, 9/50/10 would be the best I think.
05/10/2013 11:26 PMPosted by Excalibur
All staples of the SNS build. I guess there comes to a point where you would be like F it, I'm just gonna play SNS lol.

I used to play SNS and had quite an amazing gearset for it. I got bored of the playstyle and craved build diversity, so I got rid of the gear and starting playing other builds instead.

The problem is that Explosive Blast, CM, and Deep Freeze buff (not necessarily perma-freezing, just the crit buff) are all required in order for a build to output it's maximum dps potential. Without those, your build will never do as much damage as it possibly could. Which sucks. But them's the breaks I guess.

It's fun to try and work without them, though. Or at least without some of them. I don't mind using EB and CM in most builds. I just don't like using Frost Nova if I don't have to because I always catch myself freezing when I don't need to and always thinking "If I'm gonna use FN, I might as well just go all out SNS", which I don't want to do.
Nevermind
Thanks Malakai for all those builds and videos ! It's great to see someone promoting other builds than archon and CM !

I am a new wizard and I find your latest Chaos Nexus+FN interesting.

Could you give me some hints about the kind of gear I should get please (it's hard to tell your gear from your video) ? How much ApoC should I get ? Is disintegrate reduced cost something I should try to get on my gear ? What about attack speed ? Should I try to get a slow weapon and limitate the attack speed on my gear ? And defensive stats, how much Life/resists and Life Steal should I try to get ? If it matters, consider a 200-300M budget.

Any kind of advice would be appreciated (multiplayer build, build for areas with ranged mobs), thanks !
Hi,

I'm kind of interested on your builds but I think my gear isn't up to it. Coming fro archon, what gears should I change? How much APOC and APS should I have to atleast use death bloom?
Nice work Malakai

For the first one listed - Chaos nexus + frost nova: why not use entropy instead? It seems from your video that you're mainly hitting in short range.
I am a new wizard and I find your latest Chaos Nexus+FN interesting.

Could you give me some hints about the kind of gear I should get please (it's hard to tell your gear from your video) ? How much ApoC should I get ?

18-20 APoC should be fine. Get this on your helm (Storm Crow with CC is a good option) and offhand source.

05/12/2013 07:06 AMPosted by Vulmio
Is disintegrate reduced cost something I should try to get on my gear ?

If you have higher attack speed, some reduction is necessary. A Stone of Jordan with -5 cost and as high bonus to Elite damage as you can afford is a good way to get some.

What about attack speed ? Should I try to get a slow weapon and limitate the attack speed on my gear ?

When working with a lower limited budget, I'd suggest going the slower weapon route to maximize weapon damage. Get a slow 1-handed spear or mace class weapon that has, at the least, a socket and as close to perfect Lifesteal as you can afford. If you can afford it, also try to get CHD on the weapon. Black damage. Pair up with Triumvirate that has 8-9 APoC.

And defensive stats, how much Life/resists and Life Steal should I try to get ?

Personally, I always try to aim for perfect Lifesteal on weapon, even if it means getting one with a little less dps. Armor/Resists/HP all depend on which MP you want to be farming. To be honest, I'm not sure how much 300m will get you these days. I'd like to think that you could get 40k HP, 4k+ armor, and 800 AR and some decent dps for that much, but I could be wrong so don't quote me.
05/12/2013 11:39 AMPosted by CaptainRoger
I'm kind of interested on your builds but I think my gear isn't up to it. Coming fro archon, what gears should I change?

That depends on which build you want to pursue. Most of them use very similar gear to what an Archon would use with only a few changes. Let me know which build specifically you want to go after and I can be more thorough.

05/12/2013 11:39 AMPosted by CaptainRoger
How much APOC and APS should I have to atleast use death bloom?

I had 20 APoC and either 2.0 or 2.23 APS for the Death Blossom video. I'm almost positive it was 2.0 for almost 7 blossoms per second.
05/12/2013 03:07 PMPosted by Thunder
For the first one listed - Chaos nexus + frost nova: why not use entropy instead? It seems from your video that you're mainly hitting in short range.

I think Chaos Nexus does more damage to a single target. The main beam is 220%, and then each time the little beam fires (which I think the frequency correlates to your APS) it's 44%. Entropy is 253% in comparison. Plus the CN beams hit everything around you whereas Entropy is a cone in front of you. In the end, with Entropy's superior coefficient and the cone nature of it, they probably come out even (or very close). I prefer CN, though, because the long range component comes in handy at times (ranged mobs, runners, etc).
05/13/2013 04:19 AMPosted by Malakai
I'm kind of interested on your builds but I think my gear isn't up to it. Coming fro archon, what gears should I change?

That depends on which build you want to pursue. Most of them use very similar gear to what an Archon would use with only a few changes. Let me know which build specifically you want to go after and I can be more thorough.

How much APOC and APS should I have to atleast use death bloom?

I had 20 APoC and either 2.0 or 2.23 APS for the Death Blossom video. I'm almost positive it was 2.0 for almost 7 blossoms per second.

I wanted to do forked lightning. I have 200m right now. I don't know if I'll upgrade my archon or do this build.