FMOD Errors Constantly Freezing Game 1.0.8

Technical Support
Diablo 3 is continuously not responding ever since patch 1.0.8 was released. At first I thought it was not responding because of playing in public games and lots of enemies on screen, turns out that was wrong. It even stops responding in single player, even when there is absolutely nothing going on. I play as a CM wizard in SC and a Witch Doctor in HC.

When the game stops responding, it will stay like that unless I mash certain keys at a ridiculous speed. If the game starts responding again, it writes this to the D3Debug file several times:

FMOD Error sound not ready in 200ms.

One time when the game froze for a few seconds it also wrote this to the D3debug file:

FMOD Error during 'FMOD_System_PlaySound': The error occured because the sound referenced contains subsounds when it shouldn't have, or it doesn't contain subsounds when it should have. The operation may also not be able to be performed on a parent sound, or a parent sound was played without setting up a sentence first.

Update 9/29/13: It has been over 4 months since I started this post and still, nothing has been fixed. I have tested this freeze bug with all character classes. So far, the only class that haven't caused a freeze yet are Barbarians. The worst of all of them is the Wizard. I'm lucky to get through 2 games before it freezes. I either use CM or Archon, the game freezes with both builds, but I have noticed that whenever I use a CM build, the amount the game freezes seems to double.

Back in June, I submitted a ticket about this. The response?

At first they told me to reinstall the game, which was something I haven't done yet at that time. I reinstalled it. Didn't work. This was the next response:

I'm sorry to hear the reinstall didn't work. This looks like something the dev team are looking into now. Hopefully they'll have it fixed soon. For the time being I did find a possible fix though it does involve a third party and some modifications so you may tant to be very careful with this one. If you're interested check out this forum post.

Here is the link he/she included to the possible fix:

Seeing how the possible fix involves 3rd party software and modifications, I don't dare try it. He/She also mentioned that the dev team were looking into it and would hopefully have it fixed soon. Well, it is now almost 3 months since that post, and so far my wizard is still nearly unplayable.

Are there any more options I can try? Because the Wizard is my favorite class.

I have tried the following to stop the freezing with no luck:
Updating Windows
Updating Graphics Drivers
Updating Sound Card Drivers
Running A Virus Scan
Reducing max FPS
Playing D3 at Minimum Graphics & Sound Settings
Muting all sounds in the D3Prefs
Repairing the game through the Launcher.
Reinstalling the game
Submitting a Ticket
Scanning for issues with the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool (No problems found)
Playing on a different computer
Replacing Zunimassa's Marrow with other Chest Plates. (The 2 crashing characters happened to be wearing Zunimassa's Marrow.)
Using Male characters (At the time, the freezes only occurred with Female characters)
Playing as other Classes

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
Sound Card: PCI-Express X-Fi Titanium - Model SB0880.

Dxdiag: (Updated on 9/02/13)

D3Debug From 9/02/13:
It is pretty much the same for me. Before patch 1.0.8 my game was working fine then after the patch it starts lagging and freezing.
The same thing has been happening for me. Before 1.08 diablo 3 was okay, but now the game will freeze at random times then usually disconnect me after 30 seconds or so.
Since updated to 1.08, my system would crash and reboot randomly during gameplay. It was all fine before 1.08. sigh .....
Ugh...this is making me so nervous. I've been fighting patch issues all weekend (looping me back to launcher from login etc etc) and I just KNOW once I finally get in game I will have this problem too. This game worked flawlessly for me for the whole first year. I was one of the lucky few to actually get to play on launch and now this big awesome patch comes out on the anniversary of D3 and I am...being jerked around by the login and the launcher.
Bumped because of edit.
Having same problem. Diablo will just randomly become unresponsive. Can ctrl+alt+del out.
I've lost three hardcore characters due to this issue now, the highest being a level 60 paragon 1. All wizards, for what it's worth. The game/screen just freezes in the middle of battle. The music continues playing, but the graphics don't change. I have to kill the application and restart, and get to look forward to finding my HC character dead.

In 1000+ hours of play, this never happened until patch 1.0.8.
seems like a lot of people are having this issue. weird thing is sometimes i can play for up to an hour with this not happening.

any blues care to ring in on this?
Update 2: Included D3Prefs, D3Debug, And Dxdiag in top post.
Update 3: I decided to look at the D3debug file. When the game stops responding, it always shows "FMOD Error sound not ready in 200ms." several times. I have all sound options disabled btw. Any ideas what's causing this?
FMOD sound errors have been going on for a very long time. it has to do with the sound engine they are running unfortunately.

the only things i can suggest for those that experience the errors is:
  • reduce the sound channels in your options menu
  • update your sound card drivers
  • im wondering if Blizzard will update their FMOD anytime soon. it looks like their version is very old and many updates and bug fixes have been made since the version they have.

they are using 4.34 FMOD
    and the FMOD site says the current version is 4.44

this could help to solve problems if they actually practiced what they tell users and update their files.
    Update 4: I decided to try playing as other classes. When I started playing the game with a barbarian, Demon Hunter, the game freezes stopped happening. But the crashes also happens with Witch Doctors. My witch doctor just caused a crash a couple minutes ago. I wonder why.
    I'm experiencing the same freezes. See
    However I'm getting another FMOD error than yours.
    FMOD Error during 'FMOD_Channel_SetPosition': An invalid seek position was passed to this function. I don't get any FMOD errors when the game actually freezes. So it might be something else related to the Wizard only.

I didn't get these crashes with the other class as well as of yet. However I'll have to do some more testing to be sure. What I'm sure about is that the problem is NOT caused by defective or overheating hardware (I had some doubts, which I eliminated).

As a sidenote for everyone... Be sure to grab your D3 debug file before restarting your D3 client. It otherwise overwrites your D3 debug file.
    Update 5: Just installed new Sound Card drivers. Didn't fix the issue at all.
    I also having the same issue "FMOD Error sound not ready in 200ms". Every time it occurs game freezes and have to ctrl-alt-del to end process. Lost so many HC chars to it already Blizz please help solve this.
    Update 6:

It has now been nearly 4 months since I posted this, and still nothing has been fixed, and it seems my CM wizard is now EVEN MORE unplayable. Back in June, I submitted a ticket, and their response on a possible fix at the time involved downloads and modifications, which I wouldn't dare try, since 3rd party downloads are generally not allowed. Is there anything else I can try? I'm pretty much out of ideas.

More info on my 1st post at the top.
    09/02/2013 02:11 PMPosted by GlitchKing
    Back in June, I submitted a ticket, and their response on a possible fix at the time involved downloads and modifications, which I wouldn't dare try, since 3rd party downloads are generally not allowed. Is there anything else I can try? I'm pretty much out of ideas.

what were they?
    Test by setting sound bits to "LOWEST" setting. Leave sound rest at default.