exp/hour ranking of areas + best exp route(s)

Barbarian
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 Next
Yeah I do it in about 20 minutes usually, which puts me at over 200 mil per hour. Guess we have to keep working towards chaz's runs lol.
What MP are most of you guys doing this on?
Awesome thread, very helpful! I've recorded an MP6 run with my demon hunter doing 80m xp/h this way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHD2_T6tHO8
09/02/2013 09:06 AMPosted by Kain
\

MP10 usually. But that depends on your gear.
09/03/2013 11:59 PMPosted by Darkinsanity
\

MP10 usually. But that depends on your gear.

I mostly stick on 6 for the vastly increased speed, but tried some Act 1 runs on MP 10 and I did get some decent xp/hr. I guess I can check A2 next, I always thought on runs like this speed was everything and most were going down a few mp to up the kills/min.
At MP7, with Hellfire/Leorics on follower and a Hellfire on my Barb, I get about 90 million an hour. Each run (Vota->Oasis->Forgotten Ruins->E/W Channels->Desolate Sands->Storm Halls) takes about 45 minutes for me.

I am thinking about setting it to MP6 and trying some runs that way. If I can do the run in about 30 minutes I think my exp/hour would rise a lot.
I haven't read through the entire topic....just one quick question....has anyone calculated Whimsyshire yet? I seem to be getting fairly good XP from there....
Hi, new here, I have 2 quick questions as I am not too familiar with a barb, and would like to make one for the this xp farming route

What is the min. DPS to xp farm VORC on MP 10? (let say trying to aim for 350 M xp per hour)

What about just 5 stacks then Channel ? Rinse and Repeat? Why waste time on inferior maps?
@Killua

The number you want to look at is your fully buffed, crit rend damage (including brawler), with a hellfire ring if you're doing XP farming. I get a big jump in XP/hour when I get myself to 4 mil damage on a crit rend, but I require the lacerate rune to do. I can get 270 M XP/h doing VSORCS with a 4 mil lacerate crit. If you really want to be efficient, you should increase your damage to the point that the ravage rune crits for that much, so you can benefit from more AoE.

As for the route, taking the time to kill elites means time not spent focusing on killing trash mobs. Clearing both the channels takes 2-3 minutes, the XP varies greatly on whether you get skeleton spawns and sometimes the map trolls you with nasty dead ends. Meanwhile, VotA typically takes about 3-3:30 for me to get 5 stacks, maybe a better geared barb could do it in 2 minutes, but that's still nearly half your time. Finally, I don't think you can have both the checkpoint to VotA and the checkpoint to the channels in the same game.

The weakness of the act 1 XP route is that:

1. it's much harder to find 5 elites for stacks, you have to run all around festering and sometimes go to Leoric's. Even a place like Warrior's rest means you have to run all the way down a long corridor and back just to get one elite - a huge waste of time. It can easily take 4-5 minutes to get your stacks here.

2. Once you get stacks, there are only a few zones that are worthwhile to clear, like FoM, HoA2 and Decaying Crypts. That takes maybe 6-12 minutes depending on whether you get the crypt spawn. So, you could be spending 25-50% of your time hunting for elites rather than killing trash mobs efficiently. When I do act 1 on my WD, I don't even get 5 stacks anymore, I grab one from CotA and just get the rest as I go along, and this has yielded me much better XP/h.

With VSORCS the time spent on elite hunting is less than 20%, even under 15% on a good run. Therefore, it's much more worthwhile here to get the 5 stacks. You basically want to do as many zones as possible in a run if you're taking the time to get 5 NV stacks, provided that the 5 stack buffed XP rate of the zone is equal or greater than the XP/h of your run before you do it. If it's below, then you're better off starting a new run than to do that zone.
I recorded a test run in act1 with a 3 player group, netting us ~363mil xp per hour.

Gonna try to see if i can gather a full group with 3x barbs and record that run aswell.

If anyone is interested, here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mF3qWph8jo

I only used a hellfire ring, and gem in helm in this run.
Thanks for the video det0x. Is there any particular reason for doing act 1 runs? I think that for WW/rend barbs, act 2 would be more consistent, particularly since you have very good gear so you can go through the 5 stacks stage very quickly.

To consider some numbers, your run was about 12 minutes if we ignore the leftover mobs keeping you from teleporting out for 30 seconds. Getting 5 stacks took about 3:15 with 5 stacks all in festering and no event, and you got the decaying crypt spawn which took about 3:30 to clear. This leaves about 5:15 spent clearing FoM and scavenger's den. I'd say that the Festering spawn with 5 elites all in there was good RNG, and with poor RNG it could take longer than 3:15, while the Crypt may not always spawn. I suppose the question is: "is it worth it to spend 3:15+ stacking up for 5:15-8:45 worth of trash mob killing?"

As a comparison, when I was running VSORCS with Chaz's group I think we were spending about 2:00 stacking up for about 13:00-14:00 of trash killing.
@Killua

The number you want to look at is your fully buffed, crit rend damage (including brawler), with a hellfire ring if you're doing XP farming. I get a big jump in XP/hour when I get myself to 4 mil damage on a crit rend, but I require the lacerate rune to do. I can get 270 M XP/h doing VSORCS with a 4 mil lacerate crit. If you really want to be efficient, you should increase your damage to the point that the ravage rune crits for that much, so you can benefit from more AoE.

As for the route, taking the time to kill elites means time not spent focusing on killing trash mobs. Clearing both the channels takes 2-3 minutes, the XP varies greatly on whether you get skeleton spawns and sometimes the map trolls you with nasty dead ends. Meanwhile, VotA typically takes about 3-3:30 for me to get 5 stacks, maybe a better geared barb could do it in 2 minutes, but that's still nearly half your time. Finally, I don't think you can have both the checkpoint to VotA and the checkpoint to the channels in the same game.

The weakness of the act 1 XP route is that:

1. it's much harder to find 5 elites for stacks, you have to run all around festering and sometimes go to Leoric's. Even a place like Warrior's rest means you have to run all the way down a long corridor and back just to get one elite - a huge waste of time. It can easily take 4-5 minutes to get your stacks here.

2. Once you get stacks, there are only a few zones that are worthwhile to clear, like FoM, HoA2 and Decaying Crypts. That takes maybe 6-12 minutes depending on whether you get the crypt spawn. So, you could be spending 25-50% of your time hunting for elites rather than killing trash mobs efficiently. When I do act 1 on my WD, I don't even get 5 stacks anymore, I grab one from CotA and just get the rest as I go along, and this has yielded me much better XP/h.

With VSORCS the time spent on elite hunting is less than 20%, even under 15% on a good run. Therefore, it's much more worthwhile here to get the 5 stacks. You basically want to do as many zones as possible in a run if you're taking the time to get 5 NV stacks, provided that the 5 stack buffed XP rate of the zone is equal or greater than the XP/h of your run before you do it. If it's below, then you're better off starting a new run than to do that zone.

Thanks for the insight Zylog!

With act 1 runs, I have managed to reach around 270 M xp per hour, though not always..Thanks RNG. The way i run is to gather 3 stacks from woods, and start directly from crypts 2 (2 stacks there). So really, I am only looking for 1 stack in woods, Cota and WR is pretty much fixed. Since we have to get to crypt 2, majority, if not all of the spewers would have vomited a great deal of zombies, so no lag time there. Though there is a few min of preparation time, which is no longer than setting up the elites for quick stacks before the run begins.

For me, the run must consist of 4 memebers to reach remotely close to 300 M xp per hour.

While from what i understand, VORAS is mainly a solo mission, correct? (seems that this
does yield more xp if so) Definitely better for barb and CM Wiz, due to teleport and sprint.
Great work OP!

Can anyone tell me if I DW, will there be any difference in XP if I m able to maintain my WOTB and fury? I don't want to spend necessarily on a good Skorn knowing Loot 2.0 is on the way. I might has missed out but TLDR.

@Killua

We should do more runs together!
@ zylog

I haven't been running VSORCS at all, so i have no information about what that run would yield in group play..

Is there any particular reason for doing act 1 runs?

I can only give you my reasons and guesstimates for farming act 1 instead.

1: Its much easier to coordinate act1 runs vs VSORCS runs, when you are just casual playing with a "pickup" group without Teamspeak/Ventrilo and no former knowledge of "how they play".
(It was the first time i was playing with those two guys)

2: The best group combo ive found so far is 1x puller which doctor and 3x ww/rend barbs. I dont think there are any other zones that can match Fields in pulling power from a WD. If he is lucky, he can aggro like half the area, and make them come to us.

"is it worth it to spend 3:15+ stacking up for 5:15-8:45 worth of trash mob killing?"

I only had time to record 4 clear before i had to go afk, but here are the numbers... I have no other numbers to compare them to, so i dont really know if they are good or not.

1 run = 36.2 mil xp in 7 min and 25 sec --> 292.8 mil xp per hour
2 run = 75.6 mil xp in 12 min and 28 sec --> 363.8 mil xp per hour
3 run = 42.8 mil xp in 9 min and 12 sec --> 279.1 mil xp per hour
4 run = 66.0 mil xp in 11 min and 47 sec --> 336 mil xp per hour

Please note that all these runs were done in a 3-man group. I "know" (read below) its possible to score higher in a 4-man group..

A few days ago i were playing with a "stronger" group consisting of Soulrage (WD), KingKongor (Barb) and one other barb i cant remember the name of, for around 4 hours straight. Sadly it was only the WD that were calculating the xp/hour, but he said we were averaging around 400mil xp per hour, and the highest xp per hour clear we got were 470 mil xp per hour. Ofcourse i wasn't recording this run, so i have no way of knowing if the numbers are right/true.

Maybe Nubtro need to create a group/solo xp per hour challenge thread ala the DE per hour challenge.. :) Its really the only way we can compare the different routes/class combos in group based xp farm runs. :P

As a comparison, when I was running VSORCS with Chaz's group I think we were spending about 2:00 stacking up for about 13:00-14:00 of trash killing.

How much xp per hour were you guys getting in those runs ?
We were getting quite a lot of XP, about 350 mil xp/h for a poor run, 380-390 on a typical one, and with good RNG, over 400. The highest run for me was 440, and Chaz told me had a run in the 480s.

Our team setup was a low-DPS, super high APS support monk, with 2-3 rend barbs.

Looking at your data for 4 runs, it seems that runs 1 and 3 didn't spawn with the crypts, so they were only 280-290 mil XP/h, compared to runs 2 and 4 which were considerably better. I've heard of some people having each team member start a game to search specifically for crypt spawn games, but I have to wonder if they're factoring this added bit of setup time into their XP/hour calculations.
We were getting quite a lot of XP, about 350 mil xp/h for a poor run, 380-390 on a typical one, and with good RNG, over 400. The highest run for me was 440, and Chaz told me had a run in the 480s.

Our team setup was a low-DPS, super high APS support monk, with 2-3 rend barbs.

Looking at your data for 4 runs, it seems that runs 1 and 3 didn't spawn with the crypts, so they were only 280-290 mil XP/h, compared to runs 2 and 4 which were considerably better. I've heard of some people having each team member start a game to search specifically for crypt spawn games, but I have to wonder if they're factoring this added bit of setup time into their XP/hour calculations.

Quite frankly, even if the setup time was removed before the crypt runs, i can't fathom anyone doing close to 400 m / hr from that. As i have mention, on a good string of runs (including prep time), i can reach at most around 270 m....removing prep time time, i might get 360..but that isn't realistic.

It seems to me that VSORCS is by far the best route.

The issue is that crypt map is a lot smaller, which allows classes with less ms to run it efficiently. In the case of maps like sands, and oasis, i would imagine that it would be far too slow for classes with lower move speed.
@nubtro

Yeah personally my highest is only 215 mil/h on a double skeleton spawn VORCIS, which is well below Chaz's 300+ numbers. Hopefully it can be improved as I become more familiar with the route.

The thing is, at the moment I can get the same kind of numbers (or maybe higher) by doing my current act 1 run which is CotA - FoM. I feel that for act 1 runs, the time spent wandering around looking for and fighting 5 elites, perhaps even going to Leoric's manor is not really worth it for me (of course everything is dependent on gear and build). CotA is a guaranteed elite surrounded by trash, then I go straight to FoM which I'm quite familiar with now. Also, act 1 has much easier mob types than act 2, so survivability is much easier.

I'm rather curious about whether it would be practical to make a farm run where a team clears cota very quickly, then in FoM they spread out to pull 4 large trains of trash mobs together into one huge pile of trash, then reset the game after that.

deleted
I wish i knew what i'm doing wrong. I cant make more than 120~130m/h doing Vorcs, while i see here people with a similar gear to mine, doing 200m+/h
:(
I wish i knew what i'm doing wrong. I cant make more than 120~130m/h doing Vorcs, while i see here people with a similar gear to mine, doing 200m+/h

Me too. Probably because I'm a little low on EHP.
I'm doing 200-240m/h solo Act1/MP9, but have big problems in Act2 with keeping my Fury up and not dying.

Me too. Probably because I'm a little low on EHP.
I'm doing 200-240m/h solo Act1/MP9, but have big problems in Act2 with keeping my Fury up and not dying.

May I ask what's your route and do you kill champions or white mobs only?