202K DPS / 645K EHP: The Balanced Budget Way

Monk
Prev 1 4 5 6 8 Next
Crafted chest blows Inna's out of the water, too.

Alternatively, you could try checking out just rare or BT chest pieces.
@TexaStranger -- I'm game for some MP10 runs! I'll try looking for you tonight when I get home...

@Steelphantom -- the reason that I am not a fan of the high vit inna's pants right now is that my priority right now is mitigation, not just stacking EHP. Giving up 60 resists for 150 vit will raise my EHP, but will lower my mitigation. In the long run, it'll be more of a HP drain that way than if I focus on maximizing mitigation in order that my sustain works more efficiently for me. As it stands right now, I have been able to withstand 4 or 5 arcane beams hitting me in a very short span of time (with strategic use of WoL) and would like to be able to continue doing that

@Piffle -- Honestly, 1% IAS actually has little impact on me. It's not as if I'm not getting the benefit of the other 8%. My focus is more on getting stronger bells out rather than IAS. Furthermore, when I go solo (which I haven't done much of since this latest patch, but I might still do down the road just for a change of pace), I run TR/Bell, and the IAS does factor in as it produces a very slight drain on spirit on my TR (but not that noticeable, TBH). In terms of percentage difference, a 1.5K DPS drop (from 1% IAS) represents 0.7% drop in DPS; a 10K EHP gain (from 16 resists) represents a 1.5% EHP increase on 662K EHP. Based on those numbers, I predict that I will feel the missing 15 resists more than I will feel the missing 1.5K DPS. If you adjust those numbers according to what you have found in AH (63 AR instead of 73 AR), I would be gaining 0.7% DPS, but missing out on 6.5K EHP, which represents 1% of my EHP. At this point, I'd rather go for the +1% EHP, since all of that difference comes from mitigation, which will improve my survivability (ever so slightly) in longer / more drawn out fights and it also gives me a more immediate viable option of dropping OWE for another passive (without having to add more AR in another item off the bat).

And thanks for looking up those prices, as I don't have access to AH while at work. I rarely do buyouts for high priced items anyway, and I will almost always try to bid my way to the item when it is available. I am still going to try to gun for a 75 AR Inna's piece based on the reasoning above. It might take me a while to acquire the piece that way, but if it means I can save 10M-15M, I'll take it since I don't have a gold-tree growing Tristram.

I have considered BT chest pieces, but the DPS hit for an affordable piece is substantial (I only looked briefly one time)... not sure if I can sacrifice that much DPS for an EHP upgrade. Something with comparable dex to my current piece is almost cost-prohibitive at this point for me.

And as for crafting chests, I've been thinking about it and I'm almost ready to take a bite out of crafting chest pieces. The main reason I am reluctant is the cost factor. IIRC, it costs 150K gold to craft one chest piece, which is 3x more expensive than gloves. I typically budget 5M per crafting session, so that would afford me only ~33 chest pieces, as opposed to 100 gloves. For a while I thought I could try to squeeze more out of gloves, but I think I just have to accept that my current pair of gloves is pretty good as a balanced DPS/EHP thing and that it might be hard to craft something better with that kind of balance (but just more DPS). I also don't plan to touch my shoulders for a while, as I have near perfect mitigation as far as resists go if I decide to use OWE if I need to go tankier in my runs. That might change if I get a taste of OWE free living, and I want more HP to marginally increase my survivability.

The other reason I am thinking about going AR Inna's pants is that I want to be able to go OWE and STI free when I am running TR/Bell in MP6 (for DE farming), or even set myself up for doing MP10 with a TR/Bell setup in the long run. Crafted chest pieces won't necessarily help in that endeavour. The only scenario that a well crafted chest piece can deliver is when I am running in a party of 4 where I am the primary CS monk and survivability is paramount (so that I can continue to deliver all of the party buffs at all times), and maybe as a secondary monk where my job is to DPS the heck out of the monsters in my DW setup. I guess I'll see how it all shakes out after I start crafting chests and see what results I come out with.

Anyway, all that to give a little insight into my thought process as it pertains to upgrades. I am always open to suggestions -- if you have alternative ideas, I'd love to hear about it. I looove the feedback though!!!
im not quite sure i understand the reasoning behind not crafting chests
as imo ur inna chest if u chose to sell it worth quite a bit more than ur inna pants
unless u have an inna belt u typically use for tempest rush?
@Nameless,
Just be patient, I’ve been looking at Inna pants as well and I sacrificed 1%IAS to get my current pants (on my DH)
423 amor, 98 dex, 74AR for 35Mil @1/11 special

So looking at a budget monk standpoint I saved about 100+ mil and at the lost of 2 dex, 1%IAS and 6 AR with some armor

Now I have 1 mil left but very happy with my purchase! And being Happy is all that matters XD

To other budget monk out there … be patient .. the deals will come

Special shoutout thanks to baggins .. couldn’t have done it without him =)
im not quite sure i understand the reasoning behind not crafting chests
as imo ur inna chest if u chose to sell it worth quite a bit more than ur inna pants
unless u have an inna belt u typically use for tempest rush?

I have a 7% / 147 dex / 96 vit Inna's belt that I use for TRing (believe it or not, it's something that actually dropped for me!) and it's not showing in my profile because the WH is better for DPS and EHP purposes when I am not TRing. Although now that I am looking at my d3up, the Inna's belt actually increases my weapon damage from 151K to 157K. I dunno whether that increased weapon damage is worth the loss of the 8% IAS but it might be worth using if I end up getting AR pants! Decisions, decisions...

And I don't know how much my chest is worth at current market prices. As I mentioned in the OP, I picked this chest up for 7.35M before the big gold dupe fiasco. But yeah, it is worth more than my current pants. The difference is that my chest will still be usable after I upgrade my pants to an AR pair, but my current pants won't be usable if I decide to upgrade my chest, since my whole reason for upgrading that piece would specifically be to get OWE free. And I can't stand pieces with wasted affixes when I can easily prevent it.

--

@QHTran -- thanks for the inspiration. Unfortunately, that gives me added pressure to get a similar pair to yours at similar (if not better) prices. ;)
Crafted chest pieces won't necessarily help in that endeavour. The only scenario that a well crafted chest piece can deliver is when I am running in a party of 4 where I am the primary CS monk and survivability is paramount (so that I can continue to deliver all of the party buffs at all times), and maybe as a secondary monk where my job is to DPS the heck out of the monsters in my DW setup. I guess I'll see how it all shakes out after I start crafting chests and see what results I come out with.

Crafted chest piece won't help if you want 4 piece Inna's, but outside of that, it blows Inna's out of the water.

A well rolled chest will have more damage, more health, more mitigation.

There's really no reason not to try and craft them.
---
edit: And c'mon, you know I do buyout comparisons because there's no way to accurately compare items that are on bid because all the bids come in at the last minute -,-

Also, you mentioned earlier in the thread you were looking at pants that had what, 78 AR, and they went over 95 million, right? You can buy a pair of 76 AR on buyout right now for 65 mill. Is 2 AR worth 30 million? Or, even better, there are two pairs of 78 AR on buyout right now for 75 mill. And they even have 95/96 dex!

Buyout isn't always more expensive ;P
Crafted chest piece won't help if you want 4 piece Inna's, but outside of that, it blows Inna's out of the water.

A well rolled chest will have more damage, more health, more mitigation.

There's really no reason not to try and craft them.

I think I will... but only after I get my next round of upgrades done and/or some of my big sales in AH go through and see what gold I have left over. I'm putting bids on items here and there and like to have enough gold to throw in bids before I take off for work in hopes that I will land something when I get home at the end of the day. ;)

And for the record, the the minimum requirements I'd have for a dex chest would be:
Sockets (2 min, 3 preferable)
Vit (>150)
AR (>60)

I'd looooove to get a decent armor roll or life % though... but I guess that's it? So 3-4 affixes? I guess that's doable. This combination will still give me less EHP than my Inna's chest, but I might be at a point that I can trade a little HP for a bit more mitigation and DPS.

Somehow, I think I will have to set aside more than 5M gold to craft said chests because I have a feeling I won't be happy with my results after 30. Then again, I've had profound crafting luck so far, so who knows... maybe lightning can strike again?

But speaking of which... why are you still rockin' that Inna's chest?! The 4 piece inna bonus? Then again, I take it that you are still on that d3 sabbatical and you haven't been playing lately...
Also, you mentioned earlier in the thread you were looking at pants that had what, 78 AR, and they went over 95 million, right? You can buy a pair of 76 AR on buyout right now for 65 mill. Is 2 AR worth 30 million? Or, even better, there are two pairs of 78 AR on buyout right now for 75 mill. And they even have 95/96 dex!

Buyout isn't always more expensive ;P

Yeah, the pants I was watching had sometjing like 98 dex and 78 AR. I thought 95M was ridiculous. And yeah, I saw those pants you are talking about last night. I am sooooo cheap that I will always use those buyout prices as a guideline for setting my max bids. I have a bid out for one of those pants (I doubt I'll get it) but I'm always trying to save at least 25% off of max bids by bidding on similar items if there are a lot of them available. Yes, I'm that frugal / cheap. :P

And for the record, my minimum requirement would be 75 AR. So no, I would not pay that much extra for an extra 2 AR...
I notice you went back to Skorn over DW w/ echoing fury, is there a reason for this? Is it b/c echoing fury is just too expensive?
get a similar pair to yours at similar (if not better) prices. ;)

Go for it man = )

@Jboku,
I think he just prefers the skorn playstyle over dual wield that's all
you can just get a cheaper EF if you dw with nirvana, main focus on the + attck speed, high LS, low fear, high dex and OS or 100 native CD .. check mtdales ... forgot his name but it starts with an m .. yeah he got a really good OH stat stick for 5 mil =) .. mine is 8 mil btw .. not as good but it does the job
Only Problem I have with Crafted Body. If I wanted to rock a Mempo, I would lose the 2p Inna Dex Bonus.
I am sooooo cheap that I will always use those buyout prices as a guideline for setting my max bids. I have a bid out for one of those pants (I doubt I'll get it) but I'm always trying to save at least 25% off of max bids by bidding on similar items if there are a lot of them available. Yes, I'm that frugal / cheap. :P

@Nameless. A man after my own heart. Apart from my sword, I've never paid more than 19 million for anything. My shield at 18.75 million is the most expensive thing I have apart from said weapon.

EDIT: Paid 20 million for new helm.

!@#$%^-*!@er
05/22/2013 12:58 PMPosted by Teckno
Only Problem I have with Crafted Body. If I wanted to rock a Mempo, I would lose the 2p Inna Dex Bonus.

Right, but as a budget monk, you probably don't want to rock a Mempo.
05/22/2013 01:19 PMPosted by Piffle

Are you kidding me? As a budget monk, I'd love to rock a CC Mempo. But I simply can't when they are so freakin' expensive!!! :P

@Nameless. A man after my own heart. Apart from my sword, I've never paid more than 19 million for anything. My shield at 18.75 million is the most expensive thing I have apart from said weapon.

!@#$%^-*!@er

Budget monks FTW! But ummmm... really? That trifecta glove looks expensive to me, as does your WH -- I recall paying 40M for mine, but you got yours for under 19M? Makes me feel downright foolish for getting what I got at the price I got mine. :P

I notice you went back to Skorn over DW w/ echoing fury, is there a reason for this? Is it b/c echoing fury is just too expensive?

Basically, what QHTran said. Builds I use doesn't really account for OH weapon that much, so it gimps my DPS to have a cheap stat stick, but honestly, getting the same EF with 200 or 300 more DPS would have little impact on my DW build.

As for why I go 2H? I feel tankier with my skorn. I think it helps that it increases my SW damage, and that, coupled with 5.2% LS (as opposed to 3% LS on my DW) and it helps me survive some truly sticky situations. I am often the CS monk in my group of 4, so being tanky is of a great benefit to the group...

At this point, I'd probably rock DW if I was a second monk in a group and if I ever wanted to revisit CotA runs or other short runs with my DW monk. Otherwise, 2H Skorn is better for DE farming (because of increased travel speed), and group play (for said reasons) as a primary CS monk.

Are you kidding me? As a budget monk, I'd love to rock a CC Mempo. But I simply can't when they are so freakin' expensive!!! :P

!@#$%^-*!@er

Budget monks FTW! But ummmm... really? That trifecta glove looks expensive to me, as does your WH -- I recall paying 40M for mine, but you got yours for under 19M? Makes me feel downright foolish for getting what I got at the price I got mine. :P

Basically, what QHTran said. Builds I use doesn't really account for OH weapon that much, so it gimps my DPS to have a cheap stat stick, but honestly, getting the same EF with 200 or 300 more DPS would have little impact on my DW build.

As for why I go 2H? I feel tankier with my skorn. I think it helps that it increases my SW damage, and that, coupled with 5.2% LS (as opposed to 3% LS on my DW) and it helps me survive some truly sticky situations. I am often the CS monk in my group of 4, so being tanky is of a great benefit to the group...

At this point, I'd probably rock DW if I was a second monk in a group and if I ever wanted to revisit CotA runs or other short runs with my DW monk. Otherwise, 2H Skorn is better for DE farming (because of increased travel speed), and group play (for said reasons) as a primary CS monk.

I found the gloves, but the WH was just under 17 million. Recent too. The following day, I saw one very similar - identical resistance, about 500 less hit points and about 350 more dps (I'd flagged them both) go for over 30 million.

I used to be a poison Monk. Because of the gloves, I changed to lightning. They are by far the best item I've ever found.

Helm - 10 million. (Buyout) EDIT: New Helm 20 million (Purchase)
Shoulders - Craft
Amulet - Craft
Gloves - Found
Chest - 450K (Buyout )EDIT: New chest 25,071,500 (Purchase)
Bracers - Craft
Main Hand Ring - 10 million (Purchase)
Off Hand Ring - 5 million (Buyout) EDIT: Nat's Ring 73,165,334 (Purchase)
WH - 16,537,500 (Purchase)
Inna's Temp - 14 million (Buyout) EDIT: 8 million (Purchase)
Zuni boots - 12 million (Buyout) EDIT: Nat's Boots 2.5 million (Purchase)
Shield - 18,900,001 (Purchase)
Sword - 135 million (Purchase) - It broke my heart.

The EDITS are my best stuff. I now have a 200K dps Monk that cost 190 million + gems + crafts (35 million).

!@#$%^-*!@er
@nameless,
It just really depends on when you buy it and who you’re bidding against. You probably got yours a while back while him and I got it recently but before the gold dupe?

Spear chucker WH @ 17 mil
81 dex
87 vit
57 lit
Atkspd 8%
Critdmg 48%

Got mine for 1 mil
44 dex
46 vit
38 lit
Atkspd 9%
Critdmg 46%
106 amor

So 16 mil more for
+ 37 dex
+ 41 vit
+ 19 lit
+ 2% CD

If I see something similar with 9% atckspd and armor I would pick it up for 16, heck 20 more mil too … if I have the gold
the thing is don't feel bad and be happy with your purchase since it's the best that you found at that point in the market .. things will always devalue unless it's BIS and are in the BEEZZZ

@!@#$%^-*!@er, *edit hmm.. aparently your nick is censored? why? spear chucker what's so bad about it?
happy to see that you got a drop that you can actually use = )
you don't come by those very often if ever
@QHT, all my lightning stuff (including the WH) was after the gold dupe. I realized at that point I was never replacing my gloves (couldn't afford to before, absolutely no chance now). So I thought, since I was keeping them for the duration, I might as well take advantage of the resistance that was on them. Therefore I changed everything else to match the gloves.

Now I've gone away from poison, every good shoulders that I roll has it on them (over 300 at last count). Cela vie I suppose.

!@#$%^-*!@er
@!@#$%^-*!@er
Mind if I put your itemized list on my OP? I think yours may prove to be of similar (if not more) inspiration than mine. I am thoroughly impressed with what you were able to do with such limited budget - your set totally outperforms mine. Mind you, that glove you found is probably worth 1B or more (definitely more at the time that you found it, I am sure)? I should seriously consider the S&B thing just to round out my monk.

@QHTran
Yeah, I got mine about 3 or 4 months ago? I dunno. All I know is that the 40M purchase really hurt me too, as I had not spent more than 20M on any one item at the time too. I guess my WH is probably not worth how much I paid, huh? *sigh*
@!@#$%^-*!@er
Mind if I put your itemized list on my OP? I think yours may prove to be of similar (if not more) inspiration than mine. I am thoroughly impressed with what you were able to do with such limited budget - your set totally outperforms mine. Mind you, that glove you found is probably worth 1B or more (definitely more at the time that you found it, I am sure)? I should seriously consider the S&B thing just to round out my monk.

Be my guest. I appreciate a good pat on the back from a fellow tight wad. :-)

!@#$%^-*!@er
Be my guest. I appreciate a good pat on the back from a fellow tight wad. :-)

It's done - your gear costs are now immortalized in the OP. :)

@QHT -- check this out: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=!@#$%^-*!@er - and the first entry. I was like... really? So they censor it in text, but not the actual btag? Kinda funny, dontcha think?