So who's using Rare Belts?

Monk
I remember seeing a profile of a super-nice monk - I thought it was Shopan's, but he later told me he never really used a rare belt - with crit Mempo, Inna's, Nat's, EF, etc., etc.....big-name pieces, but a RARE belt (albeit real nice!).

So let's see 'em! I'd be curious to see if this could be a strategy one could adopt - load up on EHP on belt so you can go even more DPS on other pieces, especially crafted ones.
Sin wears a rare belt I believe.

Will ask her about it when she is free
She is indeed, I checked. I think Bane is as well, although I haven't seen either online in a while (probably cuz I haven't been there that much myself...)

Any others?
Yup, me :) Though I don't have the other nice pieces you are talking about. I love stacking EHP in that slot, and I get pickup there too.
I used to use this one! http://i.imgur.com/CXbIh9b.png

Back when I was big on freezin!
Haven't upgraded since before they introduced the new crafting recipes. He's not a leet Monk or anything, but I've never used anything but a rare on this guy:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Demiwraith-1534/hero/3500618

... wait.. ... Am I in the "rare belt club"?... Is there finally a "club" that I belong to? Woo-Hoo!
Woo rare belt club!
05/14/2013 03:14 PMPosted by Sinafae
Woo rare belt club!

Say, that IS a nice belt you've got there. And it's got my resist too. Do you know if it comes in a 33" size?

OT: I wonder if I'm the only one still wearing rare boots. I couldn't imagine replacing mine, even for Nat's or Ice C. Anyone else out there still wearing rares on their feet?
A good blackthorn belt with 250dex/50vit with either all res or life% will always beat a rare if you dont wear wh or inna.

Rare boots can't beat nats for def stats/dps and cant beat a good ice climbers for ehp/stats. Just check mine =)
05/14/2013 05:49 PMPosted by kOtic
Rare boots can't beat nats for def stats/dps and cant beat a good ice climbers for ehp/stats. Just check mine =)

I'm sure you're right, but one reason I still wear my rare boots is that they look so good when matched with my rare chest and pants. :P I think I may have to give those Ice Climbers a try though.
how about "only yellow rare club"? gear yourself with only rare and no legendary/set and reach high DPS, seems like a pretty cool challenge.
I still have a rare belt
How about other Legendary belts besides WH. I run String of Ears when I run ubers. Does that count :)

Cheers,
CC-
Rare belt user here. I'd like for you guys to check it out and let me know what you think. I've been eyeing Witch Hours, however I'd loose a lot of health and protection by switching out belts, unless I spend an ungodly amount. I know some Witch Hourbelts will give me a 10k dps increase, but I can't afford a 7k loss in life.
05/14/2013 08:51 PMPosted by ReaLDX
how about "only yellow rare club"? gear yourself with only rare and no legendary/set and reach high DPS, seems like a pretty cool challenge.

That sounds like a fun challenge.
05/15/2013 08:53 AMPosted by Piffle

That sounds like a fun challenge.

I think so too. Would there be other parameters (like budget, or use of BoA crafting)? I'd love to give this a whirl if that challenge was put out there.
I'm pretty close to doing this with my current character (3 legs), mostly due to lack of funds for good legendaries. My Vile wards aren't much better than my next-best craft (certainly less DPS). If you're using the AH, the biggest impediments are that you're left to the whim of what people list for helms and shoulders. There are so many Inna's helms and they're only wearable by Monks they've gotten so cheap. Shoulders have a similar issue with Vile Wards, compounded by the fact that it's a craftable slot. I found some AR/arcane/160+ Dex,100+Vit shoulders and couldn't sell them for weeks.

Most people don't even want to waste an auction slot on items like that, so they just get vendored or salvaged. It's rather random what you get, although I'm continually amazed at what you can find on the AH at insanely cheap prices, if you're willing to take some time. My most recent Xtreme Bugdet Monking shenanigans had me taking on MP-7 or MP-8 Ghom (can't remember) with about 6K gold worth of gear. On a more reasonable scale, what Megan did recently with less than 3m is truly amazing.

So the AH is rather inconsistent.... However, continuing the thought, I think a crafted only challenge would be pretty cool. It's like self-found, except you can't use anything you find. Take a set amount of materials and see what the best guy you can make looks like and how far in MP you can do various things with him. I might seriously see how this works out next time I can rustle up some SC cash.
Shoulders have a similar issue with Vile Wards, compounded by the fact that it's a craftable slot. I found some AR/arcane/160+ Dex,100+Vit shoulders and couldn't sell them for weeks.

I am shocked at how cheap good VWs are these days. I picked up my current VWs for 11.5M and they have near perfect rolls for Dex, Vit (too bad it's not a dex/vit), SR, and AR. Based on mitigation numbers alone, I'd have a hard time crafting something that would satisfy my strict requirement for shoulders, so I would likely keep these shoulders for a long, long time and not waste my gold crafting for better.
I think the only thing you would really miss out on when going full rare would be set bonuses and then you'd obviously be trading dps for EH in a lot of places where you can't get the DPS affixes on rares (Inna's Pants with iAS, WH with iAS/CD or Inna's with %Holy).
I have a nice rare in my stash... ill put it on after work