My Monk's Cookie Build

Monk
I dual wield and alternate between 2.43 and 2.28 APS.
My dps is about 187 and my ehp is 378.

I don't stack any one resist, so I don't use OWE, but my resist all is pretty low at the moment.

I can run mp7 really easily and mp8 pretty well (trees can give me a problem, though.)

I ran the build in my profile and it seems to work pretty well. Faith in the Light is just nuts (I dunno what the real modifier is w/ my attack speed but it is pretty awesome.)

I think the utility of the blind makes me lean towards that one over Blazing Wrath, but is there an attack speed point where blazing wrath is a better skill? It sort of feels like Faith in the Light is a better elite skill though since you can pop it when you need it to do serious damage. With my EHP though I figure the blind is better but would love to hear some opinions comparing the two.

I also feel like I must have serenity because without it I have to move way too much, so I don't think I could run blazing wrath instead of serenity. I considered maybe pacifism as a passive and swapping serenity but I don't think being frozen, etc is what is really hurting me.

Would I do better maybe with only FoT and swapping Blazing Fists to Blazing Wrath and then losing combination strike for some other passive? BF is giving me 16% boost from combination as well as 15% IAS which is far greater than 15% from Blazing Wrath though. I'm not sure Blazing Wrath's heal is worth enough to lose the damage, although the gain of a passive is appealing. I suppose NDE and Sixth Sense would be decent defensive ones. I pretty much only spam Overawe, so I dunno if Transcendence is worthwhile especially since I have no LPSS.

As an aside, I gained 20k dps by using the amulet I crafted over a TriCross I had 20k EHP though.) It's hard for me to quantify how much losing 9% IAS from the TriCross affects FITL and SW, though, so I dunno if I might have ended up making my build weaker because of it. The TriCross also had 600+ LOH for what that's worth (I'm not sure how much at these damage levels, but I guess it was something.)

Sorry for the Wall of Text.

TLDR:
Blazing Wrath or Faith in the Light at 2.3 APS.
20k dps or 9IAS/600 LOH for FITL and SW.
Just a thought....

But shouldnt you switch your weapons around. Your offhand has much higher weapon damage then your mainhand
Just a thought....

But shouldnt you switch your weapons around. Your offhand has much higher weapon damage then your mainhand

It doesn't matters, as OP doesn't use any skills based on MH damage, like cyclone strike or Bells.
05/15/2013 12:55 PMPosted by GunnersDream

Honestly, your EHP is way too low. And because of that,

I also feel like I must have serenity because without it I have to move way too much

and

I can run mp7 really easily and mp8 pretty well (trees can give me a problem, though.)

If your EHP was nicely north of 500K EHP and maybe even 550K, you could probably run MP9 / MP10 with similar effect, and maybe even do so without touching serenity. (And trees give just about everyone fits).

At my DPS / EHP / LS levels, I don't have serenity on my bar, and I'm not even using DS (which is quite surprising to me) and I am able to fight through MP10 pretty effectively, I think.

I know I'm not answering the crux of your question, but to be honest with you, I think you are looking at the wrong places for your solution.

My 2 cents anyway.
Just a thought....

Good point, I'll switch them in case I use some bells at some point. In D3Up, it lists the main hand as 77k and off hand as 82k. I guess I figured they were close enough it didn't matter but any little bit would certainly help.

Honestly, your EHP is way too low. And because of that,

I also feel like I must have serenity because without it I have to move way too much

and

If your EHP was nicely north of 500K EHP and maybe even 550K, you could probably run MP9 / MP10 with similar effect, and maybe even do so without touching serenity. (And trees give just about everyone fits).

At my DPS / EHP / LS levels, I don't have serenity on my bar, and I'm not even using DS (which is quite surprising to me) and I am able to fight through MP10 pretty effectively, I think.

I know I'm not answering the crux of your question, but to be honest with you, I think you are looking at the wrong places for your solution.

My 2 cents anyway.

Absolutely. As soon as I got done gathering the pieces and I looked at my EHP I knew I was in trouble as far as high monster power goes. I was actually surprised mp8 was so doable. (I never bothered with 9.) The dual life steal is really a god send.

I really really really don't want to gear around OWE, so I'm sort of stuck at the moment (I'm not even running a ruby in my helm b/c I need the EHP.)

My first upgrade is going to be All Resist Inna's Pants, then probably All Resist Lacuni's (even though those are super expensive.)

I still think my EHP will be way low, though and I'm trying to figure a way around it. I always thought of gloves and amulet as dps items, but I guess as a monk if you don't go OWE, you must go Resist All on pretty much everything. I've been watching for a decent Resist All amulet while Ive been crafting, but haven't got a good one yet (~100 crafts.)

150 RA + 100 vitality will put me at about 500k ehp, which I can get with upgraded Pants/Bracers and the vitality will come with some paragon levels, so I should be ok in time. I do have 300+ vitality (gets me > 100k ehp) BT Pants which I've hesistated equipping, but that would lose some attack speed and dps, and I think I'd just rather play a bad !@# mp7 monk than lose the Innas. I mean EVERY class rolls Inna's so it would bug me to no end to not use them on the monk.
05/15/2013 01:24 PMPosted by GunnersDream
I really really really don't want to gear around OWE, so I'm sort of stuck at the moment (I'm not even running a ruby in my helm b/c I need the EHP.)

Essentially, you have traded OWE for BoY and Serenity. The only skill on your bar that has a cooldown that you are managing is serenity - nothing else. So your philosophical choice to go OWE free is that it is costing you two skill slots instead of one. I'm not saying that you should gear back for OWE. But just be aware of how much it is costing you to go down this gearing philosophy - not just gold, but also your skill choices.

On my monk, I am an OWE user. Yes, it sucks and I'm not thrilled about using OWE. But I have 202K DPS and a shade under 650K EHP. I use OWE and STI and I have no other defensive skill. And I am able to survive MP10 quite well and I can tank many of the ground effects (to my surprise). At this point, when I gather enough gold, I would want to swap out LR for AR in my non dual resist gear -- helm, pants and belt. If I can get 2 out of 3 of them at over 70 AR, then my total AR will sit above 500 and I can theoretically go OWE free (albeit at a EHP / mitigation loss). I will then have a choice to go one way or the other.

And if you want to know how much my gear would cost... here's my thread (shameless self-promotion ahead): http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8796361062

Just food for thought.
ok I just gave in and picked up a Resist All Inna's Pants (I had no idea they were so cheap.)

That put my EHP to 402k with 4500 armor, 480 RA, 45k HP. I also use a litany with 7% elite reduction which I've read is worth about 60 RA at my current RA level (at least that's what it was on a wizard with 500 RA.)

I've looked over all my other items, and everything has vitality or RA, except my bracers, so I think I'll be hard pressed to improve it.

I think what I'll do is attempt to craft a nice 9% IAS amulet, and then temporarily replace the bracers with crafted resist all ones until I can afford RA Lacuni's. Gonna require a bit of luck though.

Essentially, you have traded OWE for BoY and Serenity. The only skill on your bar that has a cooldown that you are managing is serenity - nothing else. So your philosophical choice to go OWE free is that it is costing you two skill slots instead of one. I'm not saying that you should gear back for OWE. But just be aware of how much it is costing you to go down this gearing philosophy - not just gold, but also your skill choices.

On my monk, I am an OWE user. Yes, it sucks and I'm not thrilled about using OWE. But I have 202K DPS and a shade under 650K EHP. I use OWE and STI and I have no other defensive skill. And I am able to survive MP10 quite well and I can tank many of the ground effects (to my surprise). At this point, when I gather enough gold, I would want to swap out LR for AR in my non dual resist gear -- helm, pants and belt. If I can get 2 out of 3 of them at over 70 AR, then my total AR will sit above 500 and I can theoretically go OWE free (albeit at a EHP / mitigation loss). I will then have a choice to go one way or the other.

And if you want to know how much my gear would cost... here's my thread (shameless self-promotion ahead): http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8796361062

Just food for thought.

Thanks Nameless, you are very helpful.

I will say though, that I actually put BoY on my passive because I wanted to be able to use FITL more - serenity was a nice by product, though. The dps gain from that is just nuts, I should really stop temporarily and take a look at what exactly I'm getting because as soon as I pop it, everything just dies.

Honestly I decided to gear without OWE because I just finished gearing an SNS wizard that had extremely rigid requirements (800 RA, 9% IAS on 6 items, 1.78 Chant's, etc, etc), so I figured if I managed to get those items I could get RA on my monk items too.
05/15/2013 01:37 PMPosted by Nameless

Just food for thought.

And I read your thread already - really nice.
deleted