How to make someone's day.

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
just hope it doesn't come and bite you in your bum.

i stopped helping newer players because after doing that, all they do is wait around and pester me for more handouts and spam inviting me to carry them through content way above what they're capable of.

that and the constant '-link terrible item- can sell?' whispers.

i used to explain to them that the item was worth nothing because it lacked A, B and C mods etc but i gave up because after 5 minutes, they'll link another terrible item without A, B and C mods and ask the same thing again. and they don't get the hint when they keep asking, and you don't reply.

that and/or they just take the gear you give them and sell it on the AH and gloat about how much they made. then turn around and complain that their gear is still terrible and beg for more gear.

out of 10 people i helped, only 1 didn't ask for future handouts.

so screw helping people.

9 out of 10 of them aren't worth my time. as for the remaining 1 guy who is, too bad. you only have the other 9 of them to blame.

This is the other side of the coin...I had a case where a good guy seemingly from my friends list who plays on and off showed up and wanted to farm higher MP's...I loaned him my STR LS skorn for his barb...and thankfully I got that back...(he goes on and off a long time sometimes so I was worried he might nevr come back to return it), anyways...he comes back when 1.08 goes live....asks to borrow my LS Skorn...but me being worried again I just went out and bought a 15M LS Skorn with less DPS than mine (and CD) but still good enough to help him on higher MP's...guy's been back playing a lot since...went out and bought a lot of gold from a 3rd party site (because he was tired of never having a lot of gold)....did he ever return the Skorn to me...nope he kept it.

Now the gold I gave away via that item doesn't bother me, 10-20M gold not to sound "rich" b/c I'm not doesn't bother me...it's the principle behind it....you help someone with a "free item" you expect courtesy back at some point...
out of 10 people i helped, only 1 didn't ask for future handouts.

so screw helping people.

I know where you are coming from. This has happened to me on a couple of occasions. There are those out there who will try to take advantage, but there are also those that are truly grateful and who's experience of the game is improved threefold.

I don't let the few spoil the experience for me. When I get a demanding one, I hit the delete button in my friends list.
Me and a friend run MP8 or higher all the time and both have over a billion gold so we save up a stash page worth of UnID'ed legendaries that arent level 63, and any legendaries we did ID that arent worth over like 100k and then go into a public game on MP0 until we find 2 guys that are either new or have really bad geared characters and just drop everything in town. Its pretty funny seeing how excited they get when they teleport back and there are beams everywhere and set items that are actually upgrades for them. We've done it like 15 times and its still the most entertaining thing I do in this game
Every so often you meet someone in game who is an absolute blast to play with, and they make going to the extra mile to help them out feel like it's well worth the time. It's good to hear you got to help out a fellow player and found the experience rewarding.

Anyone else inspired to do something nice after reading this?
I do this all the time if i have any extra items i dont need i give them away to the people who could use them the most.
Every so often you meet someone in game who is an absolute blast to play with, and they make going to the extra mile to help them out feel like it's well worth the time. It's good to hear you got to help out a fellow player and found the experience rewarding.

actually, i do this daily, i have given out numerous amounts of radint stars to people who are stuck with flawless/perfect squares, i have also carried 2 of my best friends through ubers and 1-60, giving them 50m per lvl, just to help them out, i also give people sets of random items, hopefully giving them a better day
I did something similar the other day - took some of my old Wiz gear and some usable but not great legendaries I had stashed, went into public Inferno MP0 games, found people who just hit 60 & could use items and gave all kinds of stuff away. Feels good man.
its pretty satisfying to buy level 45's some 1k dps weapons with minus level req. Or grab some cheapo starting level 60 items for a fresh 60. Or give them a really nice item they cant use yet so they have incentive to level up more to use it.

edit: Except when they dont say thank you and appreciate it
OP we've actually got a loosely organized group of players doing exactly what you did...every day. We were even recognized by Blizzard in the "Community Commentary" section on the home page. Feel free to come check us out!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8796091520
His game experience is now doomed.. No point playing gear game when you got best items at start..
I have to comment on this thread. I was tired of D3, and my Wizard was in a terrible state. I asked for advice on how to improve my Wizard on the Wizard forums and an extremely kind soul responded saying he could give me a starter Archon set.

I was shocked at first, and to be honest I didn't actually believe this person was being serious... but next time I logged on, about an hour into my play this kind person messaged me. They joined my game, and donated gear to me which enabled me to farm MP3 very easily.

My reaction to this initially was that I would just borrow the gear, and I was extremely thankful. But this person told me that I need not worry, I can even sell the gear if I find upgrades, I could not even believe it.

I was very excited, and it pumped a whole lot of enjoyment back into D3 for me. I still can't believe that people who are kind and genuinely friendly still exist on the internet. It blew my mind and opened my mind.
05/31/2013 09:00 AMPosted by Esquilax
I still can't believe that people who are kind and genuinely friendly still exist on the internet.

There's more of us than you think!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8796091520
You remind me on how nice people can be during the Diablo 1 and 2 days, kudos to you sir!
Nice to see some lights among the gloom.

:)

Respect to you OP

Hail to you, Champion.
I know the feel bro. Sometimes when I'm kinda bored. I just join public games in mp1 and play with some really newbie players. Many time I just randomly drop UNID or some of the legendary/ sets I no longer use. The thank yous are more than enough to wipe my boredom away.

Thanks OP. Your post made my day. Browsing the forums daily, you sometimes can drown in a sea of negativity. It's really nice to receive a switch in tone.

I def. feel inspired. I'd like to offer my help to either PowerLv someone or free MP10 Uber runs (My machines). Hit me up in game.
Bauce
Every so often you meet someone in game who is an absolute blast to play with, and they make going to the extra mile to help them out feel like it's well worth the time. It's good to hear you got to help out a fellow player and found the experience rewarding. Anyone else inspired to do something nice after reading this?

actually, it seems that lately I am having a lot of encounters of "the nice kind". People who are really enjoying the game and having a blast and are really fun to play with. Once I see thier gear however I'm compelled to take a shopping trip to the AH for them. Spending 50-100M for some decent folks is really awesome and they truly appreciate it and it helps them enjoy the game even more.

Back in D1 it was a constant struggle until somebody came along, took pity and hooked me up. I'm still playin Diablo today.

Instead of hatin on them, give them a break.

I have made about 5 Wiz starter sets for anywhere from 10 to 50M and give them away to newcomers trying to find their way. This was not after reading this post just something I do occasionally.
OP,

Grats on your kindness. You know what's fun too? Pretending to be a Treasure Goblin when you play. I like to fill up my inventory with i63 unid rares and legends, then drop down to Hell and join a pub game. Then run around dropping the gears like how the gobs drop little piles of gold. It's great fun watching everyone scramble to pick everything up. :)