How to make someone's day.

General Discussion
Yeah, those are the best moments I have in any game. Well, I lied. They're tied with that once-in-a-life (seemingly) experience of finding a truly earth-shattering drop. There comes a point where you're really not coming across any significant upgrade for yourself, short of dumping a ton into the AH. I'd much rather up someone else's DPS by 15k than surf the AH for the next week hoping to chance upon a good deal. That's not why I play this game.
The amount of "OMGWTF?" spam I got in chat after that actually made me the happiest player in the world. The weapon cost me a mere mill, but the amount of happiness I gave this new player was well worth over 100m.

So maybe you don't need to keep farming just to get more billions, more pointless gold. maybe to make the game fun for yourself again, you might have to pretend like it is like release again, and make yourself poor (use all your gold for gems, put them on a different character that you're not using, anything you want) but it seems that playing as if it was a new game entirely would make it fun.

Enjoy :)

Even a year later a million is a lot to me.

I've never spent a penny of real money to buy anything, and I've never had any drop that I could sell for more than 30-40 million. I think I am currently at like 250 million gold.

It's not even remotely possible to pickup a billion gold in a reasonable amount of time. The games current design of obtaining gold from playing vs obtaining from selling/flipping is the inherent problem. One that is actually easily solved but not easily solved while keeping everyone happy at the same time and keeping the game as popular as it was at release.

I do however agree with giving items to people. It is rewarding even if the game is not rewarding in the slightest in it's design.
The absolute most fun I've had in this game is giving items and gold to new players. It's the little things that make a big difference.
Tis better to give than to receive.

If this element wasn't available in the game, it wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable. I'm always a complete sucker for the poor schmoe that dies every time an elite so much as looks cross-eyed at them. The gratitude is genuine when you supply them with an upgrade. My experience has been completely, across the board positive when I've done this. I've never once had someone badger me afterwards for additional charity.

Edit: My thanks to Devastationz. My first week out of the D3 gate, he provided me with several upgrades and invaluable advice on the DH class. Just a random meeting that made such a difference in my overall gaming experience. Pay it forward.
Hey there!

So, a few weeks ago I decided to help out a new player, bought him a cains set just to make his leveling experience a bit quicker and a bit more enjoyable. Today he messaged me with a huge thankyou as he'd just reached level 60, he told me that the game was great, and it made me remember how much I had enjoyed this game on release, and when I had reached level 60 before my friends (the diablo challenge ;)) Fortunately for me, I was sick and didn't have to go to school on D3's launch so it was just amazing to have the time to experience this brilliant game.

So, I decided to just help him out a little bit more, for a new player, anything over 100k is basically a lot of money, I was a bit confused because I've been used to having over 100-200m for some time now.

I decided to join his game, on my barbarian with nothing but a half decent skorn equipped. He told me that his dps was at 50k, and I sat there with a smirk on my face because I knew he was about to "crap" his pants.

I said "You see this weapon i'm wearing?"
"Yeah?" he replied
"It's all yours I said" dropping it

The amount of "OMGWTF?" spam I got in chat after that actually made me the happiest player in the world. The weapon cost me a mere mill, but the amount of happiness I gave this new player was well worth over 100m.

So what's the point of all this?

Well often I find that a majority of this community complains about how "unfun" this game is, they sit there with their billions upon billions of gold and wonder what to do.

What I've found is that you can give yourself a little bit of happiness just by giving the smallest amounts to someone who needs it more than you do. So maybe you don't need to keep farming just to get more billions, more pointless gold. maybe to make the game fun for yourself again, you might have to pretend like it is like release again, and make yourself poor (use all your gold for gems, put them on a different character that you're not using, anything you want) but it seems that playing as if it was a new game entirely would make it fun.

Enjoy :)

Super +1 man.

I have to admit, I get a kick out of helping people as well. Yesterday I ran into a guy I helped out a really long time ago (I gave him so lvl60 armor and such, a few ok weaps) and just stopped by to say hi and thanks and that he had gotten to really enjoy playing his monk. I ended up doing the same thing since I'm working on my HC now!

Easily the best end game for D3!
I did the same thing the other day. Joined a game for an act3 MP 10 run. This guy is running with a barb and asked me to give him some advice on a WD he was building. So, I told him to get the toon and come back after the run. Checked him out, all his toons seemed to be okay.. no great. but just okay. So I gave him some advice about starting out, what skills and passives to get him through. Then I peaked into my box and dumped a bunch of stuff that I consider garbage onto the ground and gave it to him. He about crapped himself. The OMG spams were kinda funny.

Again.. (MrHongz#2957) <----that's the kid I helped out..... you're welcome... enjoy... and never give up on the hunt.. you never know what... or who you'll run into...

That goes for the rest of you too..... :)

I give out freely too, I just leveled my 2nds to 60 and gave out UNIDs for tips.

Also, to those who are commenting about trolls, you got to play with someone for at least a few hours to see if they are skilled mature players first before you go dropping free stuff. All those "prob could sell for a couple 100k items" just waste space for us higher end/day 1 players, that's why we just drop them, it's a waste of time to us. I have had to ugrade "keeper guidelines" several times over since playing.

Back in the day I used to help out DroppinBombs a bit, if you played a bit more I could prob do it again ;)
OP,

Grats on your kindness. You know what's fun too? Pretending to be a Treasure Goblin when you play. I like to fill up my inventory with i63 unid rares and legends, then drop down to Hell and join a pub game. Then run around dropping the gears like how the gobs drop little piles of gold. It's great fun watching everyone scramble to pick everything up. :)

Exacty, SO MUCH FUN!!! The comments you can get are awesome, "does anyone else see that??" or "are you glitching out man??" or the typical, "Are you sure?"
Good for you OP. I try to help some people out sometimes also.. if they're friendly that is.
05/31/2013 07:57 AMPosted by Grimiku
Anyone else inspired to do something nice after reading this?

been doing it all a long ... I thought its what we are supposed to do in games.

Its a natural counter to sad players bashing the game.

Help the new players and get them exited

Its the ethical players that make the game and community. I hope to see more of this in a great game that can only get better

Kudos to you op and all who help other players.
Sometimes on lower MP runs if I happen to die for some silly reason and someone is kind enough to res me I'll drop a cheap level 60 legendary as a way of saying thanks.
05/31/2013 01:06 PMPosted by Shorinji
Anyone else inspired to do something nice after reading this?

been doing it all a long ... I thought its what we are supposed to do in games.

Its a natural counter to sad players bashing the game.

Help the new players and get them exited

Its the ethical players that make the game and community. I hope to see more of this in a great game that can only get better

Kudos to you op and all who help other players.

Thanks for your reply! In hindsight I could have written that question a little better. Something like "Have any of you been helping people all along, or felt inspired to do something nice after reading this?" would have been more thoughtful.

I definitely believe that there are a fair number of nice folks who have always been helpful, not as a direct counter to the more negative members of the community, but simply because that's their nature. That sort of kindness can go a long way to enriching our adventures in Sanctuary, and something gamers generally find refreshing.
How wonderful! WTG!

I too love helping others although I solo when I'm on D3 so I don't really have an opportunity to help others out. Plus I don't have much play time thus still working on money. lol Then again I'm having a blast doing that! :)

Once I get "up there" I hope to join multi-player and help others too.

You have set a very good example, and something for others to attempt to attain. :)
05/31/2013 01:43 PMPosted by Grimiku
I definitely believe that there are a fair number of nice folks who have always been helpful, not as a direct counter to the more negative members of the community, but simply because that's their nature. That sort of kindness can go a long way to enriching our adventures in Sanctuary, and something gamers generally find refreshing.

Thanks for your comment but its my my bad for the "been doing it all along" didn't mean it as superior or condescending. Just a bad choice of words, as many have been do this over the years and find enrichment helping others other.

I agree, there are those that always help out because it in their nature and its those people that make a good game great by enriching others experiences.
@LillyBelle

[quote="91648223589"]How wonderful! WTG!

I too love helping others although I solo when I'm on D3 so I don't really have an opportunity to help others out. Plus I don't have much play time thus still working on money. lol Then again I'm having a blast doing that! :)

Once I get "up there" I hope to join multi-player and help others too.

Heya, Iam pretty good w monk stuff (and extra monk gear) add me Iand maybe I can give ya a boost :)
Much <3, thanks, and support to all of you who posted and who serve as a reminder that there are great people in this gaming community!

I loved the "pretend to be a treasure goblin" image. Made me wish that there were some sort of item that could temporarily turn us into one, just for the purpose of running around dropping things for other players. <hint, hint, to nice Community Manager on this thread - pass the idea long?>
I used to do this in D2. Run mf runs gaining a bunch of ungodly uniques then create a "free stuff" game (you know, when you create specific game names) and then let the nubs join and start dropping loads of stuff. Unfortunately, the AH and itemization have ruined the usefulness of those less desirable unique and set items. Hopefully this will be changed soon.
People I play with are always wondering why I'm so lucky with the drops I get on runs. I'm a serious mempo-magnet (I find one about every week-to-10-days) and find stuff like IK armors and Zunni armors and BT and Inna's pants all the time.

I honestly believe my luck in the game comes my good karma - from the fact that I give away a lot of what I find. I've always greatly enjoyed helping people in every game I've ever played. Probably 50% of my game time is spent just explaining things to newbies, helping them understand gearing, builds, strategy, etc., and showing them the ropes in hardcore, rather than actually doing runs.

Some people really do get a great deal of pleasure and fulfillment out of helping others. I've come to realize that very few players can understand and relate to this, but for some of us, there is nothing more satisfying that the feeling the OP describes, when I drop a weapon I picked up in the ah for super-cheap (by my bankroll standards) and hear some newcomer squeeing in delight!

The very best compensation, in the long-term, are the guys who tell you, weeks or months later, that they wouldn't even be playing the game if you hadn't taken the time to reach out and help them. Most of these guys. I don't even remember helping them, lol. But I smile and tell them the same thing I tell everyone I help:

Pay it forward. You don't have to pay me back, but help someone else down the line someday.

Galx
--------------------------------
Hardcore Paragon-100
#1-ranked hardcore barbarian in the Americas:
http://www.diabloprogress.com/us/rating.stat_heroscore/class.barbarian/
http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/galx-1555/Galxx/24469446
People I play with are always wondering why I'm so lucky with the drops I get on runs. I'm a serious mempo-magnet (I find one about every week-to-10-days) and find stuff like IK armors and Zunni armors and BT and Inna's pants all the time.

I honestly believe my luck in the game comes my good karma - from the fact that I give away a lot of what I find. I've always greatly enjoyed helping people in every game I've ever played. Probably 50% of my game time is spent just explaining things to newbies, helping them understand gearing, builds, strategy, etc., and showing them the ropes in hardcore, rather than actually doing runs.

Some people really do get a great deal of pleasure and fulfillment out of helping others. I've come to realize that very few players can understand and relate to this, but for some of us, there is nothing more satisfying that the feeling the OP describes, when I drop a weapon I picked up in the ah for super-cheap (by my bankroll standards) and hear some newcomer squeeing in delight!

The very best compensation, in the long-term, are the guys who tell you, weeks or months later, that they wouldn't even be playing the game if you hadn't taken the time to reach out and help them. Most of these guys. I don't even remember helping them, lol. But I smile and tell them the same thing I tell everyone I help:

Pay it forward. You don't have to pay me back, but help someone else down the line someday.

Galx
--------------------------------
Hardcore Paragon-100
#1-ranked hardcore barbarian in the Americas:
http://www.diabloprogress.com/us/rating.stat_heroscore/class.barbarian/
http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/galx-1555/Galxx/24469446

Man, I wish my good karma would kick in...these days I find very little, even on MP10. No mempos or Nats rings ever...

still, I do a lot of axe and glove crafting...still enjoy giving those away!