Key Gear
Dead Man's Legacy with +elemental arrow
Frostburns
Stone of Jordan with +elemental arrow
AND/OR
Skull Grasp with +elemental arrow
AND/OR
Maras (cc/cd/aspd) with +elemental arrow

So this build focuses on kiting the enemy while hitting hard with good creep control. What I'm doing is stacking + elemental arrow damage and + cold skill damage while taking as many +dmg passives as I can to max out my EDPS.

The idea is to take archery/steady aim/cull the weak and kite monsters so you get the archery bonus (always) the steady aim bonus (at a distance), and the cull the weak bonus (from slow). Using a decent + elemental arrow dmg DML, SOJ, and Skull Grasp you can get up to +38% elemental arrow (not to mention the +30% to elites). Add that to the 20% dmg boost from steady aim and 15% from cull the weak and that is theoretically +73% to elemental arrow. You can get up to 12% more EA damage from Maras as well, but a trifecta or cc/cd maras with high +EA damage is a little out of my price range.

I'm critting elites up to 800k and clearing MP10 with relative ease. (Relative being the key term here. I am not sure what is considered fast these days but last night was my first time soloing MP10 so give me some time to get up to speed :P) It seems to kill everything just as fast as RF-bombardment (except single targets), and the kiting has improved my survivability. What helps is I don't have to wait for RF-B to land to proc gloom, nor do I have to channel and face tank (which is easy, but can be more than problematic with some elites). You never get the steady aim bonus (or cull the weak) when face tanking with RF, which is what every decent fight boils down too.

Another thing to note is frostburns give cold damage, so all of your hatred generators will also proc CtW

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Useful tips

1.Crit Chance - since you are sacrificing a lot of cc with this build (soj, skul grasp, frostburns) you will need to find another way of getting it. Use a hand crossbow (calamity) to get the CC bonus from Archery. Nats helm (cc if possible) + boots also helps a ton. Nats helm + nats armor works as well. Bait the trap is also extremely useful and aids in kiting as well.

2.Resource Management - Hatred and disc need to be managed efficiently (especially at higher MPs) for this build to be successful. Attack speed is your enemy here. Its nice to have but you will already be attacking fast since you are using a 1H xbow + DML. Be wary of too much aspd on your character as all too often you will find yourself out of hatred. Choosing a good hatred generator is the next step. Since you are pumping so much damage into frost arrow you will lose a large amount of eDPS whenever you fire anything besides FA, so choose something you wont fire much except to generate quick hatred. I like evasive fire (4 hatred per shot) or entangling - justice is served (6 hatred per shot).

For discipline you will most likely need prep. Bola - Bitter pill can help as well if youd like to go that route

3. Kiting - This is where most mistakes are made. Successful kiting will keep your hatred generating at an efficient rate while maintaining disc. I have grown very fond of evasive fire - displace comboed with caltrops - bait the trap. I drop caltrops and start firing FA, as soon as an enemy gets near I fire EF which vaults me backwards 30 yards and proccing caltrops on the monster. Rinse repeat until everything is dead.

If you are having trouble kiting, consider these 3 tips
a. You might need to kill faster. Drop your MP
b. Try a windforce or use bola shot - thunder ball for kb/stun
c. Drop steady aim and grab nighstalker or brooding
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE

currently sitting at

220k paper dps
+35% elemental arrow
+30% damage for cold skills

this gives FA more damage than just firing it away with my old gear (which had paper dps of 316k)

current goals
250k paper dps
+50% elemental arrow
increase ehp

endgame 15beez goal
trifecta maras with +12% to elemental arrow (never gonna happen)

Here is my build http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#fiVgYh!eYc!YZcYcZ
Here is my profile http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Moosentist-1655/hero/787401
I like your build as I am partial to ranged play. It fun coming up with off beat builds isn't it.

Edit: Smart Phone
If you search a lill bit you'll find a guy called radelon, who has done this build. He was known for doing things a little different. He did this build for a little bit then moved over to the sever sword/grim reaper build.

I remember he was also used frostburn gloves. Iirc his crits were like 900k+ think. I'm sure it'll also be better to run Zuni boots and wear the nat ring
06/04/2013 01:45 PMPosted by RedCell
I your build as I am partial to ranged play. It fun coming up with off beat builds isn't it.

yes it is fun. i dont usually like going cookie cutter builds, also RF-B just got so boring. For me it was the only thing viable, and all I would do for 99% of the mobs was gloom--->RF-B at my feet until everything is dead.

If you search a lill bit you'll find a guy called radelon, who has done this build. He was known for doing things a little different. He did this build for a little bit then moved over to the sever sword/grim reaper build.

I remember he was also used frostburn gloves. Iirc his crits were like 900k+ think. I'm sure it'll also be better to run Zuni boots and wear the nat ring

was he doing this recently or was it before the RF buff? Im not sure I am willing to take that big of a hit to my overall dps by wearing frostburns over my gloves. maybe if they could roll at least 1 random stat or if I could fire frost arrow indefinitely, I kinda need my bolas to hurt too.
He was doing this months before 1.08 came out. If I had to guess like 4+ months ago.
So I just got some frostburns and man I think I was wrong. Frost arrow hits like a truck now I'm slicing thru MP7 like butter. My crits average around 100k more dmg im critting elites at 700k now. Its funny I lost 62k paper DPS and I'm still hitting harder.

I still have plenty of room to upgrade. I demand 1M FA crits :P
hey there, i was also playing something like this yeterday in hc,

there is slight difference maybe you can try it out and see how it works for you:

bola - i use ID instead as it hits harder and ususally kills every trash mobs in range when it explodes together with frozen arrow landing. i usually target the front runner of a pack and make the target kind of like a "sticky trap" . .

last skill bar slot (you are using bat), i used mortal enemy. the reason for this is: Elites, guess its self explanatory.

but slight problem . .after playing it for a while, i switched to a random build; hungering arrow and ball lightning . .. it seems to kill faster . . lol . . i dont really understand why and im wondering if cull the weak really worked on those IDs after being shot with frozen arrow .. hmm . .
ball lightning is just alot easier to use. Frost arrow hits the hardest of the elementals, you just gotta get use to it. Did you have frostburns? Those seem to be what put me over the top in terms of FA dmg
i dont have frostburns . . i feel if i switched to frostie, i may lose 30% sheet dps anyways, so it defeat the purpose of FA damages, not to mention bola damages as well. ID hits like a truck.

im dual wirlding for fun when i did that, maybe i will try it tonight with a DML with elemental arrow bonuus and use a harder hitting bow.
i dont have frostburns . . i feel if i switched to frostie, i may lose 30% sheet dps anyways, so it defeat the purpose of FA damages, not to mention bola damages as well. ID hits like a truck.

if you scroll up that was also my exact concern, but FA with frostburns just hits so hard i clear much faster even tho i took a 62k drop in sheet dps. The attack speed I lost from my gloves actually helps save a little hatred while I ice nuke away. I dunno, its working pretty well.

edit:as a matter of fact, the soj also replaced a trifecta ring. i sacrificed 96k sheet dps for 11% elemental arrow 29% elites and 30% cold skill dmg and I actually hit harder (and clear faster)

i was running ID for awhile actually and it does hit really hard, especially paired with FAs slow and CtW but this build is geared more towards getting as much dmg out of FA as possible (SoJ, DML, Frostburns). bola is more for hatred regen and to aid in kiting for me
Hi OP, awesome to see Frostburn gauntlets :-). Can you tell me how play at MP10 is? If it is worth playing in MP10 i am in :-).

When I say MP10 I mean how many times you die (or never) in a typical run, etc.
Hi OP, awesome to see Frostburn gauntlets :-). Can you tell me how play at MP10 is? If it is worth playing in MP10 i am in :-).

When I say MP10 I mean how many times you die (or never) in a typical run, etc.

Let me start off by saying my DH has never been able to solo MP10. I was running the typical RF-B/gloom build before this at 316k dps and Mp7 was viable but I would die a lot.

All I did was get an equally decent DML with +ele arrow bonus, a 2M soj and 100k frostburns and i am melting MP7 faster than I ever was and dying much less. I feel with better gear I will be able to solo MP10
*edit* oops dont know how I did this. ignore this post

free bump I guess
I just tried this build. i used entangling shot chain gang for hatred regen and amazing kiting. i also am buying an EA skull grasp, and i use windforce. it allows for knockback, auto LS, good AS and you get 15% additional damage out of archery.

I found it handled mp6 about as effectively as my usual build does. i do enjoy the change of pace though, and for only about 5M total cost. excellent thinking man. loved it, although i might switch out bat for the +hatred regen mark of death
I just tried this build. i used entangling shot chain gang for hatred regen and amazing kiting. i also am buying an EA skull grasp, and i use windforce. it allows for knockback, auto LS, good AS and you get 15% additional damage out of archery.

I found it handled mp6 about as effectively as my usual build does. i do enjoy the change of pace though, and for only about 5M total cost. excellent thinking man. loved it, although i might switch out bat for the +hatred regen mark of death

entangling shot is another good idea as it also gets the CtW bonus without having to use FA and aids in kiting. I prefer the bat over mark since im already dropping a mark with my calamity and just dont feel like constantly marking things to keep my hatred up. I just have my hatred regen as I kite.

i got my crits up to 800k on elites last night and found some good IK armor which hopefully sells. Once it does I should be able to get some better gear and try to hit the elusive 1M crits and try soloing mp10
06/05/2013 03:25 PMPosted by GodIike
Rf has higher damage and lower hatred cost without any specific gear require. Good luck on your build.

I know that, which is why I was using RF when I was using normal gear (ie dex based with +ias/cc/cd). FA did not do nearly as much dmg as RF using that gear, but this game is suppose** to have multiple viable builds for every class. This is my attempt at finding one different than RF and it is working surprisingly well for how cheap it was to switch over.

Thanks for the well wishes :)

**as stated by Jay Wilson
Updated the first post to make this a little more guide-like to better help everyone know what exactly is needed without having to read a giant wall of text
Let me start off by saying my DH has never been able to solo MP10. I was running the typical RF-B/gloom build before this at 316k dps and Mp7 was viable but I would die a lot.

All I did was get an equally decent DML with +ele arrow bonus, a 2M soj and 100k frostburns and i am melting MP7 faster than I ever was and dying much less. I feel with better gear I will be able to solo MP10

Cool. Thanks.
Btw I solo MP10 all the time, mainly because of my AR and Gloom I think. Anyone interested in joining in, do so any time. I will be around a lot during the weekends and briefly during weekdays.

Battletag: Anwin#6258.

I was looking for DHs to farm with :-). Cheers!!!