Official Ladder support thread ;)

General Discussion
Prev 1 10 11 12 35 Next
I agree that an itemization overhaul will probably reset the economy to a large degree, thus making a ladder reset redundant. Sure Plvl 100 characters and accounts with billions of gold will have an unfair advantage, but let's see if Blizzard accounts for that before we cry that the sky is falling.
06/12/2013 12:10 PMPosted by DotDo
I agree that an itemization overhaul will probably reset the economy to a large degree, thus making a ladder reset redundant. Sure Plvl 100 characters and accounts with billions of gold will have an unfair advantage, but let's see if Blizzard accounts for that before we cry that the sky is falling.

But how will an influx of a new type of item's reset it is my question nobody flame me I get the concept/theory of why people believe it will. But I genuinely could use a more clear explanation to address that. as I said earlier being that there are already tons of powerful item's enough for people to farm MP10 if Blizzard lower's the drop rate + increases quality like they claimed, we just have an equal drop rate of good item's and more diversity of top end item's. Now I love the idea of the diversity but unless mp10 is going to get a difficulty bump and only the new item's will help with that I don't understand where its getting reset/changed.
I like D3 the way it is. Yes it needs improvements, but it has already come a long way and I believe it will continue to be improved.

Some players like to play against the game, some like to play against each other and the current modes (SC, HC and PVP) provide some of these challenges. Why not add a ladder to provide a different type of challenge? However, I would like to see a ladder which does not give advantages in regular play..
06/09/2013 01:03 PMPosted by Garret99
Also an excuse to re roll characters!

An excuse to this would be to allow us to allocate stats points so we can do more than one of the same char for different purposes.
Since people prefer not to listen to me and would rather listen to the developers, I thought I'd provide this little tidbit from Travis' disucssion with Archon the Wizard; which conveniently enough echoes many of my thoughts on ladder

"Travis Day talked about how ladders could increase Diablo 3's longevity, even years from now, once Blizzard isn't actively adding new Diablo 3 features and has moved on to other games like Diablo 4."

http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1555-candid-chats-with-wyatt-cheng-and-travis-day[/quote

If Blizzard's definition of actively adding wasn't in such huge intervals I'd be more inclined to agree :p

[quote="92447038031"]Also an excuse to re roll characters!

An excuse to this would be to allow us to allocate stats points so we can do more than one of the same char for different purposes.

Oh I agree but I think that ship has sailed my friend
06/12/2013 02:42 PMPosted by DoNTDiEx

given the current system what would be so fun about that?
06/12/2013 03:49 PMPosted by Chopu

given the current system what would be so fun about that?
Well I think it's already fun past normal. I obviously still see how there should be improvements to the leveling system.
I've posted this on a similar page in the past....

I can see both sides of the argument. I def see room for ladder and would personally enjoy it even though I know I don't stand a chance since I neither buy from RMAH or have the time to be in the competitive high percentile. While I realize that the ladder in D2 was to reset economy, I don't think that is how it should necessarily be used in D3. Thought about this for a bit and I'll share with you both concerns and benefits.

Ladder similar to D2
essentially a race to paragon 100, beat Inferno MP10, etc, etc...
    Pros
  • Fresh start
  • Sense of competition in community/bragging rights
  • could potentially keep people around for longer or bring back old players (a big maybe)
  • Cons
  • Botters have the advantage, and will most def play since they will gain revenue from new economy
  • People with more time (don't work) have the advantage
  • We have to play through the first 60 levels of the game (boring) every time ladder is reset
  • Specific classes will have a clear advantage, and everyone will jump on the bandwagon after reset

The cons for this out weigh the pros and I think without any clear benefits why play ladder? Therefore we need to explore other options.

Like Path of Exile
Season that last for a given time, after that the ladder is over. Races that take place at certain time on a certain date. Winners receive points which accumulate to acquiring cosmetic upgrades For example on said date, there is a race to see who gets the furthest in that time frame. Now some of these events have added effects, like monsters are % faster, etc...
    Pros
  • Level playing field for all
  • Sense of competition in community/bragging rights/trophies to show off
  • Harder for botters to gain advantage
  • Better mixture of player base moving from ladder and non-ladder
  • Cons
  • Still have to play through lower levels, and since each event is essentially a reset that's all you play
  • A lot of content (skills/runes/items) will never see the light of day
  • Lose character progression and attachment, which is the top reason why people play ARPG's

This doesn't work either, but this got me thinking. Why does a ladder need to be about resetting the economy. Why can't it just be about competition and having fun playing the game you enjoy.

Hybrid Ladder
You have a set duration til reset. Say 3 months. In that time frame there is a race for something (paragon level, first to bet MP5 Diablo, whatever) Whoever achieves that first gets 50 points. The next 50 (or so) people get 40 points.

During that 3 months you also have challenges at certain times. On this date during this time frame lets see who can clear Act 2 Inferno in an hour. Everyone that accomplishes that gets 5 points. Person that completes it in the best time gets 5 points. Next 20 people with best time get 3 points.

Other challenge ideas
  • Kill 1000 demons
  • Kill 200 elites
  • Kill 20 Treasure Goblins
  • Collect 100 emeralds
  • Open 500 chests
  • Beat Skeleton King in less than 2 min
  • Kill a specific Unique

Other variations
  • Co-op only
  • Solo only
  • Class specific

At reset we tally up all the points and give out rewards. Rewards are based on points, but not who has the most. Each reward requires a certain amount of points so if you reach that you gain that reward.

I know a huge point made is that players need to feel rewarded for participating, but it can not feel mandatory. with the lack of cosmetic character customization in D3, those types of rewards could promote ladder play while not making it mandatory to progress your non-ladder character.

Possible Rewards
  • New Portraits
  • New Banner Items (sigil, colors, accents, etc)
  • New appearances (faces, hair style, hair color, skin color, body type, body weight, etc)
  • New Dyes
  • Trophies - similar to Kerrigans Blade Wings from pre-ordering HotS
  • Dye's that can be applied to items that change their appearance, make BoA until removed from item from Artisan or Blacksmith

The idea of in game effects could make ladder play not only interesting but fresh and different each time.

Possible Restrictions for set Events
  • Can't equip Rares (or Legendary, or Blues, or Whites, or can only equip Whites, etc)
  • No RMAH (or GAH)
  • Can't equip a certain item types (weapon or helm or gloves, etc..)
  • No Runes ( or No specific Runes or no defensive skills or no primaries and rely on basic attack)
  • Only 5 slots for skills
  • Only 2 passives

• It doesn't need to be all restrictions, you could also do bonuses or just buff enemies or whatever. The point is restarting ladder could be different every time.

I'm not suggesting this is the way it should be, lets get that out of the way right now. I'm simply trying to show that a ladder could be fun and add more longevity to the game than fixing the numerous problems it has (though I still hope they fix those things too). It just has to be implemented correctly
    06/12/2013 04:13 PMPosted by Muertdogg
    We have to play through the first 60 levels of the game (boring) every time ladder is reset

I think this is actually fun when the ladder starts, because we can find new act1 quest1 game filled with 4 people much easier than the game at its current state... the game at its current state is as if it forbids newcomers to have the moment of enjoyment to team up with online players for some fun co-op prior level 60.
    I'm not a huge fan of threads that simply are looking for "+1" comments (since that doesn't really let us know why something is meaningful to you, just that you want it), so let's turn this around.

First, in case you missed it, here's Wyatt talking a bit about the possibility of ladders with Archon on his anniversary stream (transcript courtesy of diablo.somepage.com): http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1555-candid-chats-with-wyatt-cheng-and-travis-day#wyatt-ladders

What about ladders?

Wyatt: There are two aspect of ladder, both of which I think are interesting. One is the competitive ladder aspect, the race to the top. The other is the economy reset, this fresh sharded off economy where everyone begins clean. As you've probably found with all your self-found hardcore playing, it's really fun to level up new characters. In that experience, typically my character is growing ever more powerful, but the frequency of my upgrades is getting farther and farther apart. So when I level from 1-60, I'll find an upgrade for my character every 15-20 minutes. Particularly if you're playing self-found, you've experienced that; every 15-20 minutes maybe I'll replace a glove, or a shoulders or a belt. And that's pretty cool. Then when you hit level 60, if you're still self-found, you're finding an upgrade maybe every 45 minutes or an hour. That rate of upgrade gets slower and slower with time, as your gear continues to improve, and gets better and better.

Then you use the Auction House, and you hurtle yourself forward. So you go from getting an upgrade every hour, to now if you were to continue to farm, you'd get an upgrade every 5 hours or every 10 hours, or even farther. So I think one of the benefits of a ladder is just this idea that it's really fun to start fresh, and experience this rapid rate of upgrading, again. A ladder is a great excuse to do it. Sometimes we all want to do it and we can choose to do it, but sometimes it's nice to do it together, as a global community. Or have a recognized badge of honor, for having done it.

So I assume the ladder is something that you would be excited about, but something that also is a little loaded?

Wyatt: We're definitely looking into the possibility of a ladder, or something like that. I personally -- this is just me speaking and there are other people on the team who would disagree with me, so I'll say that, it's just my opinion -- I'm more excited about the reroll and clean economy aspect of ladder seasons, than I am of the race. I know the race is exciting too, and there's pictures of people who are getting ready for the new season. They have all their caffeinated drinks on their desk, and I think that's epic and awesome, if not always healthy. But realistically, yeah it's something we're cool with. It wouldn't be viable until an expansion.

Second, now time for the details! What exactly would you want from a ladder system? For example:

- How would you ideally like that system to work?

- How long would you like the resets to be?

- How many characters do you think players should be able to create for ladders? (Do you think they should take up the existing slots you have?)

- Should there be an auction house for ladder characters?

- Should there be any special items or perks for ladder-only characters? If so, what kind?

- What kind of restrictions, if any, should be placed on ladder characters?

- Do think players should be able to bring their ladder characters into "non-ladder" once a reset is complete?

- Is it necessary for ladders to be competitive, or is it enough for players to just see for themselves how far they can go on their own?

- Why would ladders improve your in-game experience?

Muertdogg's post is actually a great example of feedback that's great for me to pass on. I love the pro/con breakdown he provided for all the different types of ladder options out there, and why each option is meaningful (or not meaningful) for him as a player. Would love to see more discussion along those lines. :)
    Ladder needs to be fair and balanced IMO. You can't have it with the current RMAH system, or any loot system really. It's the sort of thing where all characters competing need to be at the same level, sort of how WoW did it with challenge mode dungeons. Once everyone is at the same level, then you can setup a sort of horde mode (it would probably also need to be divided by class), where you compete solo or as a team. Would be sweet IMO, do it! This game needs some form of competitiveness other than who has the fatter wallet.
    I'm not a huge fan of threads that simply are looking for "+1" comments (since that doesn't really let us know why something is meaningful to you, just that you want it), so let's turn this around.

First, in case you missed it, here's Wyatt talking a bit about the possibility of ladders with Archon on his anniversary stream (transcript courtesy of diablo.somepage.com): http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1555-candid-chats-with-wyatt-cheng-and-travis-day#wyatt-ladders

What about ladders?

Wyatt: There are two aspect of ladder, both of which I think are interesting. One is the competitive ladder aspect, the race to the top. The other is the economy reset, this fresh sharded off economy where everyone begins clean. As you've probably found with all your self-found hardcore playing, it's really fun to level up new characters. In that experience, typically my character is growing ever more powerful, but the frequency of my upgrades is getting farther and farther apart. So when I level from 1-60, I'll find an upgrade for my character every 15-20 minutes. Particularly if you're playing self-found, you've experienced that; every 15-20 minutes maybe I'll replace a glove, or a shoulders or a belt. And that's pretty cool. Then when you hit level 60, if you're still self-found, you're finding an upgrade maybe every 45 minutes or an hour. That rate of upgrade gets slower and slower with time, as your gear continues to improve, and gets better and better.

Then you use the Auction House, and you hurtle yourself forward. So you go from getting an upgrade every hour, to now if you were to continue to farm, you'd get an upgrade every 5 hours or every 10 hours, or even farther. So I think one of the benefits of a ladder is just this idea that it's really fun to start fresh, and experience this rapid rate of upgrading, again. A ladder is a great excuse to do it. Sometimes we all want to do it and we can choose to do it, but sometimes it's nice to do it together, as a global community. Or have a recognized badge of honor, for having done it.

So I assume the ladder is something that you would be excited about, but something that also is a little loaded?

Wyatt: We're definitely looking into the possibility of a ladder, or something like that. I personally -- this is just me speaking and there are other people on the team who would disagree with me, so I'll say that, it's just my opinion -- I'm more excited about the reroll and clean economy aspect of ladder seasons, than I am of the race. I know the race is exciting too, and there's pictures of people who are getting ready for the new season. They have all their caffeinated drinks on their desk, and I think that's epic and awesome, if not always healthy. But realistically, yeah it's something we're cool with. It wouldn't be viable until an expansion.

Second, now time for the details! What exactly would you want from a ladder system? For example:

- How many characters do you think players should be able to create for ladders? (Do you think they should take up the existing slots you have?)

- Should there be any special items or perks for ladder-only characters? If so, what kind?

- Do think players should be able to bring their ladder characters into "non-ladder" once a reset is complete?

- Is it necessary for ladders to be competitive, or is it enough for players to just see for themselves how far they can go on their own?

[url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9245745553?page=11#209"]Muertdogg's post[/url] is actually a great example of feedback that's great for me to pass on. I love the pro/con breakdown he provided for all the different types of ladder options out there, and why each option is meaningful (or not meaningful) for him as a player. Would love to see more discussion along those lines. :)

I want the devs to focus on things that would positively affect the game a lot more than ladders first, and if they do need to implement it at a future point, to do so in a way that it doesn't negatively influence anyone who doesn't use it, whether by keeping incentives purely esoteric or ladder-specific instances if they are bonuses, so that they don't poison the economy of non-ladder play after they get dumped into being a normal character.

I'd much rather have a change to the way I play that is actually a meaningful, purposeful, change, and not simply forcing me to start all over again because some stupid idiots can't understand there are far superior alternatives to undertake to fixing the economy, reinvigorating player interest, or increasing the urge and enjoyment of farming and hunting again.

What about ladders?

[url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9245745553?page=11#209"]Muertdogg's post[/url] is actually a great example of feedback that's great for me to pass on. I love the pro/con breakdown he provided for all the different types of ladder options out there, and why each option is meaningful (or not meaningful) for him as a player. Would love to see more discussion along those lines. :)

You don't have to look far to what is probably the best answers to all of those questions.

The D2 ladder system seems to be pretty much what many people want out of this. It works good. It does what it should. It reset's on a decent time scale, and it throws the old ladder chars into non ladder status upon reset. It keeps a public account of each players status sorted by class, character name and ladder ranking. Unfortunately D3's lack of using Character names within the game might have to be adjusted slightly, but I don't think that's too hard to deal with, and is something we all want anyway.

As for AH, I think a ladder only GAH would be appropriate(also resets upon season completion) as the game is fundamentally designed around the fact that the GAH exists. Without it, we'd have to resort to clumsy and unsecured trading via forums, chat channels and that exploitive trade screen which I loathe.

Pretty much all aspects of the D2 ladder system is what I'd like to see in D3.
    In response to the above, just some ideas:

-Similar to D2. Why not? Separate character pool, No AH at ALL. Better/more quality drop rates. Resets every season and brings Ladder characters to non-ladder.

Ladder races to see who can get
    -60 the fastest
    -Plevel 50 the fastest (you could do plevel 100 as well but that's a little absurd to be honest.)

-Add new crafting options in the Ladder mode, options that improve leveling speed or have interesting mechanics. It doesn't even have to be super intricate! Anything that forces players to make strategic choices on improving themselves versus gaining experience is good.

-Reward players with a simple asthetic upgrade like a cape or something to signify their Ladder accomplishments.

You have to understand that the reason people want Ladder is because it changes the way you approach playing a Diablo game. Competition breeds innovation, there's no reason that a ladder shouldn't be competitive. It would genuinely improve the health of your game, and honestly would bring me back to playing it again.
    06/12/2013 05:16 PMPosted by Ephex
    Ladder needs to be fair and balanced IMO. You can't have it with the current RMAH system, or any loot system really. It's the sort of thing where all characters competing need to be at the same level, sort of how WoW did it with challenge mode dungeons. Once everyone is at the same level, then you can setup a sort of horde mode (it would probably also need to be divided by class), where you compete solo or as a team. Would be sweet IMO, do it! This game needs some form of competitiveness other than who has the fatter wallet.

Why would taking the RMAH or any other type of purchasing of items make it balanced?

You take that away and all you get are websites that now have items for sale. Prime example?!?!? What do you know..... D2

Since they put the RMAH into the game do you see items on 3rd party websites? Not that ive seen. If you dont wana spend real money; dont do it. Someone will always be ahead of you if they have money; cause money talks

What about ladders?

Well I appreciate that you took the time to reply so in depth!

I'll answer this just from my subjective outlook of thing's Id want/avoid and what what would be interesting

What I want

- A fresh start of the economy, after improved itemization to let everyone have chance to explore/work with the new system.
    - I would personally avoid causing it to take up any current character slots because it'll aggravate many people
    -For now I think reset's could just come occasionally when thing's are being revamped. For example in relation to itemization, and perhaps when the expansion comes out so that people can explore the new features and game again as a whole.
    -I think NO auction house would be really neat to at least test for one ladder season and see what the reaction is. Its a very mixed crowd on the issue of an auction house but I think a lot of people would think it was really neat and give them a chance to explore bartering and such for the course of the ladder! Especially since Josh (cant remember the last name) was discussing findign a way to reduce its prevalence. But people who do enjoy the AH it gives some people an incentive to hang around and play non ladder.

What I Wouldn't like

-Special incentives for ladder only character's this forces people as many people have said to feel obligated to play ladder, why not let those who want the fresh start be the ones who get it with their chacne to start over and try something different, especially if there is no AH involved.

- erasing peoples ladder character's without giving them a choice at the end of ladder could frustrate people but not a big issue.

-I dont think a ladder HAS to be competitive I think its enough just to give people a fresh start but a leaderboard would always make it more interesting especially in Hardcore! Maybe an achievment or some visual reward for the first 5 to make it to level 60 or p100?

Overall I think it would improve many returning and new player's experience just for the sake of having a fresh start to play through the game and have a chance to really feel involved in the building of a new community especially through bartering(if no AH) and to be free from some of the gold inflation for a little while at least!
    06/12/2013 05:22 PMPosted by wcryan

Why would taking the RMAH or any other type of purchasing of items make it balanced?

You take that away and all you get are websites that now have items for sale. Prime example?!?!? What do you know..... D2

Since they put the RMAH into the game do you see items on 3rd party websites? Not that ive seen. If you dont wana spend real money; dont do it. Someone will always be ahead of you if they have money; cause money talks

If our prime example is D2 Im totally cool with it turning out like that.... as are many past diablo fans im sure