Official Ladder support thread ;)

General Discussion
Prev 1 16 17 18 35 Next
-1 it is an absolutely terrible idea.
I just cant get my head around people who are so anti ladder?? Dont like ladder ? dont play it!!!
Personaly I love it and find i get board with out it. The rush of excitment when a new ladder starts and seeing your self high on the leader board is a plesure ive only found in d2.

So we should just stop playing then because you want to ruin the game with your stupid idea?

No thanks. Try fixing it first.
+1 for ladder
+1 without AH
When the ladder season is over you're stuck with a clone of a character you already have, that everyone has. At least in D2 you could try out a new build that you were curious about.

In this game it doesn't seem worth it unless improvements are made. Not really against it, but it will weaken the non-ladder player base which already seems to be dying.
06/12/2013 05:00 PMPosted by Lylirra
- How would you ideally like that system to work?

In order for the system to be worthwhile at all, there need to be other improvements made to accompany. The thing about D2 was that there was good reason to create another character - even of the same class. Not just because of the mechanics of the game, but because the game itself was fun to play.

Why was this?

Yes, the investment in character building was one thing.

Not being stuck playing through the same game four times was another. At least D2 had level randomization, right?

Another was the social side of the game. Everyone leaps into games together, but the reason this was workable was because of named games and custom chat channels. (not just random games). Without the sense of togetherness, ladder loses a lot of significance. Wyatt mentioned it - the significance of the whole community having the opportunity to start fresh together - but if we're not playing together, what's the point? There needs to be more facilitation of this.

Furthermore, Wyatt mentioned racing on the ladder, and I agree, but I'd like to expand. 'Racing' on ladder provides significance to more than just those players racing. Not so much for the racing side, but for the community progress side. Even if you're not going for number 1, it's nice to see an overview of how the ladder season as a whole is progressing. (In D2, the level spread was a reasonable measure of this, and perhaps paragon levels would allow for this in D3)

Basically, it should work much the same way it did in D2, with a couple more considerations:

No Auction Houses
Improved Itemization/Characterization (You kind of need it alongside no AH, and people should be getting better drops in-game)

Also!

Make Inferno Monster Power Levels unlockable. As in, high-end progression. You must beat each level in succession. Remember, there wouldn't be an Auction House, and the economy is fresh, so gear would be worse, and you'd hit a wall much sooner than you do now. Half the reason why people say MP10 is manageable compared to old inferno is because of the general gear level that is available, and that wouldn't be the case on ladder.

So, make Inferno MP a type of progression (not that anyone would get very far through it, with this theoretical nature of the game. But that's the point, it is inferno.).

- How long would you like the resets to be?

.......7 Months.

- How many characters do you think players should be able to create for ladders? (Do you think they should take up the existing slots you have?)

Well, more than two, at least. I'm sure the reasons behind limiting us to 10 characters per account would apply here, so it's hard to know exactly what to base our suggestions on. Because, ideally, we'd want unlimited characters, right?

- Should there be an auction house for ladder characters?

NO.
This is one of the few, if any, opportunities to eliminate the AH from a particular game mode.

- Should there be any special items or perks for ladder-only characters? If so, what kind?

No AH is probably the biggest one, but...

A special ladder uberquest type challenge (one that's actually cool, rather than cut-and-paste cheesy) would be good, as a forwards driving force for players to play and progress. Make it genuinely hard to achieve, like requiring you to be in a high MP (which, as I suggested earlier, would need to be unlocked).

- What kind of restrictions, if any, should be placed on ladder characters?
No Auction Houses. And the Inferno MP unlocking like I suggested above.

- Do think players should be able to bring their ladder characters into "non-ladder" once a reset is complete?
Hmm. I'll tell you what:

If ladder is no-AH, then ladder characters should go somewhere without Auction Houses. Otherwise it ruins their... integrity.

For example, Wyatt said this would only come with an expansion. So, what if the expansion game environment had no auction houses, compared to the legacy environment? Either that, or there would be still another game mode for these non-AH ladder characters to be moved to at the end of a ladder.

- Is it necessary for ladders to be competitive, or is it enough for players to just see for themselves how far they can go on their own?

I mentioned a bit about this before, where the competitive/progression side has value to more players than just the ones actually competing, but there should be some sort of prize to drive competition for those who are into that. In-game, out of game, I don't know.

- Why would ladders improve your in-game experience?

Ladder is an opportunity to provide a much more enjoyable game environment through various changes, and through the fresh start breathing new life into the game. I'd play it for the game itself to be fun, and to play with other players, rather than an auction house grind.
- How would you ideally like [the ladder] system to work?

I'd like it mainly as an incentive to re-roll since the D3 core mechanics all but remove the need to, but it's still fun to do. HC death is currently the only reason to re-roll. Everything else is non-permanent and can be fixed if you throw enough gold at it.

What if there were two lengths of ladder? A shorter one (say, 2-3 months) for the hyper-competitive (perhaps with increased drop rates or rewards...some sort of incentive) and then a longer one (6-8 months? a year?) for those who'd like to play ranked games but don't have 35+ hours per week to spend on a video game. I've loved video games since I was a little kid and used to spend far more time on them than was healthy because I wanted to be competitive, but since then I've grown up, gotten a job, and gotten married so I'm down to maybe an hour or two per day (a little extra on the weekends) for gaming. I'd still like to play in a slightly competitive atmosphere, but I'm Bronze League in StarCraft II for a reason. :)

Tangent– That could be interesting, too. Have ladder players ranked somehow (perhaps based on average time to clear a rare mob/act/boss, K/D ratio (obviously won't apply so much for the HC players ;D), DPS, how often characters switch skills, etc... I'm sure the math geniuses can find some way to quantify our demon-slaying skills :P) and put into leagues: the higher their league, the shorter their ladder season?

ANYWAY...

- How many characters do you think players should be able to create for ladders? (Do you think they should take up the existing slots you have?)

I'd like it if they did not, personally, especially if they expire. I have 5 SC and 5 HC right now (one SC and one HC of each class, at various levels depending on with whom I play that particular character with) and it'd kinda suck if I had to delete one of those characters just to open up a slot for a temporary ladder guy.

I cannot stress this enough–NO!

Ladders, and moreover competitive play in general, should not be pay-to-win. Skill and dedication should determine victory, not the fatness of someone's wallet. There are plenty of places outside competitive play for people to throw their money at the game to "enhance" their bragging rights. Another way to look at it would be, again referencing your other title, should StarCraft II players be allowed to purchase permanent upgrades to their units over the course of a season? The idea would be ludicrous. There would be riots in the streets. The StarCraft II community is a great place to look at to find a successful competitive model with a huge amount of wisdom to glean.

- Should there be any special items or perks for ladder-only characters? If so, what kind?

I'd say yes. I'm all about incentivizing the masses to push themselves. In D2, there were ladder-only rune words, and they always seemed to be just a notch above their non-ladder counterparts. That was awesome. How about ladder-only legendaries? (And make them awesome!) Legendary socketables would be a really cool way to implement this. With the way D3 is set up right now as being SO gem-centric, throwing some hugely powerful unique effects into gems that you can't find elsewhere (and thus forcing players to decide if they want to play standard gems or branch off with something non-stat boosting at the expense of one of those oh-so-precious sockets) would be extremely fun indeed.

I don't think ladder characters should be able to access or trade with non-ladder characters. Ladder seasons should start with 0 gold, but I'd actually like if the stash had a bit of a jump-start: something to the effect of a full tab already unlocked and cheaper unlocks for the remaining space. The focus of ladder is (IMHO) not to amass vast stores of wealth, so having to dedicate that much of your limited resources every time to unlocking your ability to do so puts unnecessary strain on the player's purse strings. That said, it should definitely be something that still takes some level of commitment. I'd say maybe a 30% discount on stash space for ladder characters? That number is off the top of my head, no math done to back it up.

An alternative would be to just unlock 1 tab and say "that's it." for ladder players. Their focus could then be on the demon-slaying. Their wealth stores will be reset at the next season's opening, so amassing huge stores wouldn't serve much purpose anyway.

- Do [you] think players should be able to bring their ladder characters into "non-ladder" once a reset is complete?

No, but I think there could be a reward for non-ladder characters based on how well you did during that season. Cosmetic rewards (wings, never-ending dyes, banner pattern/sigil/accent, etc...would like to see variations here, but that's what D3 is doing currently in that area)? Passing down a piece of your gear (if desired?) Keeping your gold? Maybe a special item designed specially for each season? Something to show for your troubles would be nice.

Perhaps something like this:
  • Feat of Strength "Participation – Season X" for players who reach level 30 in a given season
  • Banner Enhancement for all players who reach level 45 in a given season
  • Ability to add 1 socket to an item of your choice (pending socket limits of items, obviously) for reaching Paragon Level 50
  • Rare iLvl 63 item (item type of player's choice) for players finishing in the top 50%
  • Legendary item special to that season given to the top 25%
  • Feat of Strength "Heaven's Champion – Season X" to the top 1%
  • Powerful legendary item special to a given season to the top 1% (make sure it has extra awesomesauce! The supply will be extremely limited!)

#IDEAS! Perhaps skew the stats depending on which league you're in, assuming that idea works?

- Is it necessary for ladders to be competitive, or is it enough for players to just see for themselves how far they can go on their own?

If it's possible to implement the idea I outlined in the first bullet with different leagues, relative competitiveness would be very organically achieved. You want to just kinda plod along? That's cool. Bronze leaguers will likely be of the same mindset? Want to min/max yourself into a brainspiral of caffeine-induced oblivion and have the willpower to pull it off? To the diamond-league with you!

Mostly added incentive, a place to play where (hopefully) the AH does not reign supreme, the chase for rewards, and the incentive to re-roll for reasons other than massive, catastrophic failure in HC would be nice. It would be cool to be able to restart after #winning.
Hi there,

for me a ladder would be the only reason to play this game again.

The only time a game like Diablo 3 is fun, is when it is challenging and competitive.

You pretty much ensured that it is not, after the first weeks.
Which made me really sad, selling everything and quitting the game.

The first weeks though, were about the best time of 2012.

Now its just, "Dude i can beat this boss on mp 10 with my balls while standing in the fire and dont have to move at all."...... really exiting.

I remember Diablo fights that were 30 minutes long and a single hit would kill you, same with the other bosses, with several repeating phases and when you had to take care.
and not just faceroll the keyboad, or who has the better bot.

- How would you ideally like that system to work?
like in d2

3 months would be great, but i'm sure you'll be shooting for 6

I dont know, why do you wanna restrict the number of Characters?!

Yes, at least a gold one, trading via forum etc sucks.

dont care

dont care

- Do think players should be able to bring their ladder characters into "non-ladder" once a reset is complete?
dont care, I will never play non-ladder

dont care

see above

Bring back a Diablo 3 that is challenging and where a boss kill means something and i'm back.

Greetings
How would you ideally like that system to work?

Seems pretty simple to me. When creating a character you click a checkbox that makes it a ladder character. It doesn't share stash/gold/crafting with any other characters on your roster. When the ladder is reset that character's gold, items, stash, crafters, and levels are all reset.

How long would you like the resets to be?

6 months seems like a good amount of time.

How many characters do you think players should be able to create for ladders? (Do you think they should take up the existing slots you have?)

As many as they want, however the 10 character max per account should still apply.

Should there be an auction house for ladder characters?

No.

Should there be any special items or perks for ladder-only characters? If so, what kind?

Feats of Strength maybe? Often I find that bragging rights are enough.

What kind of restrictions, if any, should be placed on ladder characters?

Online only, that is all, other than those already mentioned above.

Do think players should be able to bring their ladder characters into "non-ladder" once a reset is complete?

Good idea. Yes, but they will lose the ladder tag in the process.

Is it necessary for ladders to be competitive, or is it enough for players to just see for themselves how far they can go on their own?

Why can't it be both?

Why would ladders improve your in-game experience

Economy reset. Replay value.

that's what I like and to expand this idea, I'm looking for some real, real hardcore ladder such as every item you purchased from npc and loot you get are all account bound. Meaning there's no way you can trade items at all. At the same time there's a limit of time you can play every day so that league is much fair to cover most of the people who work or without work and have other affair to take care off in real life. 20 hours a week ladder maybe. The ladder is weekly and you just have only 20 hours max to play through the game from start where no trading and all items are account bound.

i think... i just got dumber reading this.
+1
I really want to see the ladder in D3 and waiting for this for a long time!
Profile of those who are supporting the idea:

1st - Not spent a dime on the RMAH.
2nd - Do not finish hell.
3rd - No more than 10k elite dead.
4th - Probably not spent more than 100 hours playing.
5th - Don't have one hero on paragon 100.

I do not approve of the idea.

i am posting on my brothers account, and he quit the game real early because its a piece of crap. blizz acknowledges this as well.

you are saying for my vote to be credible i had to spend (my brother i guess) hundreds of hours in a piece of crap video game ? dont you think the people who have not played that much, have not killed lots of elites, dont have paragon 100 are the people who find incentive to actually play.... in ladder? how are you seriously capable of functioning in society being so stupid?

boot up the game in two weeks, fresh account. level to 60 on your own, dont buy gold and you tell me how happy you are with the state of the game.
lol
So... people with 20k-120k dps and it's buffed values vote "yes" for ladder. I wonder is there at least one person who's build worth more then 200kk gold? I doubt that.
Profile of those who are supporting the idea:

1st - Not spent a dime on the RMAH.
2nd - Do not finish hell.
3rd - No more than 10k elite dead.
4th - Probably not spent more than 100 hours playing.
5th - Don't have one hero on paragon 100.

I do not approve of the idea.

Really? Have a look at my account. Why would it matter if I didn't use RMAH. I paid $60 for this game, grinding for loot is how diablo has always been about. Anybody can fork out 30 Bucks for a Bil gold and steam roll mp10. Some people don't find this enjoyable, myself included.
I just cant get my head around people who are so anti ladder?? Dont like ladder ? dont play it!!!
Personaly I love it and find i get board with out it. The rush of excitment when a new ladder starts and seeing your self high on the leader board is a plesure ive only found in d2.

LOL, i can see myself, oh boy here is another 4 months of my time farming.
looks like the ppl just don't get it, (this is not d2) you lvl up to lvl 60 in one week, buy good stuff in the AH and you are done. One week later you have the exact same problems like before which is itemisation, boring skills, lack of Content/endgame etc.
d3 ladder = reset and fun for one week
The ladder can have the AH restricted you know?

LOL do you think this will stop peoplw from going out the way to but gear from outside source , NOPE for ladder.
LADDER!! Its a win win. transferrable items like D2 Keeps the game evolving.
06/13/2013 09:08 AMPosted by OMGBBQLOL
LADDER!! Its a win win. transferrable items like D2 Keeps the game evolving.

300 Leonidas voice "THIS IS DIABLO 3" . right before he kicks D2 in the face. In with the new , out with the old. we need Fresh Idead like this one

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9245745553?page=15

post by :Cyberbarb 3rd post down.