So Its "OFFICIAL" The ps3/ps4 gets the better version

Console Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 12 Next
06/11/2013 01:27 PMPosted by Gix
As for the AH being design around the loot. YES it was. Thats why they said "@Blaine8723 Slightly! It takes a "less drops, better quality" approach -- like what we want to do with PC."

- The guy doing the interview loaded the question and the Blue responded in a way that could satisfy the guy by stating what was already being done on the PC.

I think I stated that but I'll assume you missed it. So here you go...

So the better loot, less drop approach was already applied since the AH was removed. This makes total sense. If you have an economy and all good loot drops lot you would have a more well balanced game, but the AH transactions would be minimal and very little profit. Why pay for something you can farm? Blizzard enjoyed the WOW monthly fee for years and KNEW 100% that if they did that to diablo it would Fall Flat on its Face. So they secretly designed a game in a way that worked for them, but inherently hurt the "Game" It's self and probably didnt plan on it, or intentionally do it. Instead their trying to find a way to fix it without loose there monthly income, but in this game world. Its just not possible to have both. Hense why diablo is doing real bad and more than 85% of the users who bought it have stopped playing.

Your tin foil hat is on a little too tight.

They made the AH because they wanted to encourage players to use the tools within the game instead of going to 3rd-party sites that simply cause problems to the players and, retroactively, their customer service team (kinda like how people don't understand that HC death is HC death regardless of lag). I'm pretty sure that's been explained to death already.

Your laughable theory on the whole AH thing falls flat just by the mere fact that there isn't any AH on the consoles... Oh noes! How are the evil Blizzard going to get their money now?

Here's another revelation for you: If Blizzard is evil and made the AH specifically to make money from you... why were you stupid enough to fall for it?

Your trolling, and your argument is mute. You can say what ever you want. The proof is right there. They even said it. They designed both games differently and for them to take a different approach PROVES what we all know.

Updated main post, but this for for everyone too.

Check this out (Diablo 3 is at 1 hour and 45 mins (1:45:00)

http://www.gametrailers.com/netstorage/e3/live.html

Checkout (1:46:40) For when he say's that "Diablo 3 has EPIC LOOT!!"
WOW THEY MOVED THIS POST TO HIDE IT!!!!

What is going on blizzard!!!! We are talking about GENERAL DISCUSSIONS about the console version and what the PC version is missing not SPECIFICALLY about the console version that needs to be in this Category! Move the thread back!
Fixing itemization (which needs to be done on PC) is one thing. Applying console-based itemization to the pc version is quite another.

Interesting quote! (Also, apologies in advance for the TL;DR response.)

While the core of the console game is based on the PC game -- you get all the same content, systems, classes, skills, and runes on the console as you do on PC -- the console version of Diablo III is really its own thing. It's a familiar, but ultimately unique experience. Our goal when developing Diablo III for console was to deliver that same visceral gameplay you get with a mouse and keyboard, but at the same time feel completely natural when using a controller. (Basically, whichever platform you prefer for gaming, you can pick that version and know that it was tweaked to be best suited for the platform of your choice.)

In order to achieve that, we've made a variety of tweaks to the the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, including a complete re-design of the UI and character controls, inventory management, as well as combat pacing and boss fights. The item game is predominantly the same, but we've also made some minor adjustments to itemization. Items will drop less frequently, but will typically be of higher quality. There's a chance that when a white or gray item drops, that it will be automatically converted to gold too. These changes were made to help manage the flow of gameplay and keep players in the midst of combat (and out of their inventory screens) as much possible. Inventory management is a little more difficult on the console version than it is on the PC, where you have a mouse to quickly navigate through menus, so this was a pretty key tweak for the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Many of these adjustments inspired future changes we'd like to make to PC, and many of them were inspired by plans we already had for improving itemization as a whole. Since we use staggered development (meaning, the PC and console games more or less have separate teams and development cycles), though, it's possible that one game will receive changes before another. Over time, which game that is may switch back and forth. Even so, PC will always be the lead platform.

Regardless, here are a few interviews and hands-on reviews from PAX East you may want to check out. I've only highlighted ones where itemization on console gets addressed, but I figured this was kind of important, as it lets you get the information directly from the developers. :)

Penny Arcade Report
Kotaku
IGN (Skip to 5:25)
06/11/2013 03:41 PMPosted by Lylirra
Fixing itemization (which needs to be done on PC) is one thing. Applying console-based itemization to the pc version is quite another.

Interesting quote! (Also, apologies in advance for the TL;DR response.)

While the core of the console game is based on the PC game -- you get all the same content, systems, classes, skills, and runes on the console as you do on PC -- the console version of Diablo III is really its own thing. It's a familiar, but ultimately unique experience. Our goal when developing Diablo III for console was to deliver that same visceral gameplay you get with a mouse and keyboard, but at the same time feel completely natural when using a controller. (Basically, whichever platform you prefer for gaming, you can pick that version and know that it was tweaked to be best suited for the platform of your choice.)

In order to achieve that, we've made a variety of tweaks to the the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions, including a complete re-design of the UI and character controls, inventory management, as well as combat pacing and boss fights. The item game is predominantly the same, but we've also made some minor adjustments to itemization. Items will drop less frequently, but will typically be of higher quality. There's a chance that when a white or gray item drops, that it will be automatically converted to gold too. These changes were made to help manage the flow of gameplay and keep players in the midst of combat (and out of their inventory screens) as much possible. Inventory management is a little more difficult on the console version than it is on the PC, where you have a mouse to quickly navigate through menus, so this was a pretty key tweak for the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Many of these adjustments inspired [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/8953696"]future changes[/url] we'd like to make to PC, and many of them were inspired by plans we already had for improving itemization as a whole. Since we use [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8197591084?page=10#196"]staggered development[/url] (meaning, the PC and console games more or less have separate teams and development cycles), though, it's possible that one game will receive changes before another. Over time, which game that is may switch back and forth. Even so, PC will always be the lead platform.

Regardless, here are a few interviews and hands-on reviews from PAX East you may want to check out. I've only highlighted ones where itemization on console gets addressed, but I figured this was kind of important, as it lets you get the information directly from the developers. :)

[url="http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/diablo-3-on-the-playstation-3-isnt-just-functional-its-far-better-than-its-"]Penny Arcade Report[/url]
[url="http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/03/the-console-version-of-diablo-iii-could-very-well-be-the-best-one/"]Kotaku[/url]
[url="http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/03/22/10-minutes-of-diablo-3-on-ps3-pax-east-2013"]IGN[/url] (Skip to 5:25)

Thank you for linking that blog. I wanted to confirm how long ago it was, and three months is a long time to stand around and do nothing, from a player's perspective. Ask the Devs isn't even done, and the blog came before it, three months ago. Three months.

You have to understand that anything the console gets that has been talked about for months, that the PC doesn't get, is incredibly bad design and makes it look like you truly did make this game as a beta for the console. Where's our itemization changes? Can you guarantee we'll get them before September?
Thank you for linking that blog. I wanted to confirm how long ago it was, and three months is a long time to stand around and do nothing, from a player's perspective. Ask the Devs isn't even done, and the blog came before it, three months ago. Three months

Correct. Sometimes, changes to games can be made quickly. But that's not always the case, especially when you're looking at a system (like itemization) that's very core to the game itself. We can definitely understand that players would like said changes made overnight -- heck, we would too -- but we'd much rather take our time and come up with something that's actually meaningful and relevant, rather than implement something quickly that doesn't satisfy the current problems and/or make the game anymore engaging.
06/11/2013 03:59 PMPosted by Lylirra
Thank you for linking that blog. I wanted to confirm how long ago it was, and three months is a long time to stand around and do nothing, from a player's perspective. Ask the Devs isn't even done, and the blog came before it, three months ago. Three months

Correct. Sometimes, changes to games can be made quickly. But that's not always the case, especially when you're looking at a system (like itemization) that's very core to the game itself. We can definitely understand that players would like said changes made overnight -- heck, we would too -- but we'd much rather take our time and come up with something that's actually meaningful and relevant, rather than implement something quickly that doesn't satisfy the current problems and/or make the game anymore engaging.

I don't mean to be rude when I say this, but it doesn't look like that at all. This whole game has felt like the following formula:
Announce a lofty idea. Wait 3 months. Realize players are getting pissy. Rush something out. It's super buggy when it gets to us.

I realize that those 3 months you are probably doing something, but tbh it doesn't feel that way.
Everything we get is super rushed feeling instead of complete and considering the amount of time you guys spend being mum about things, we are being reasonable to doubt you guys care.
though, it's possible that one game will receive changes before another. Over time, which game that is may switch back and forth. Even so, PC will always be the lead platform.

Let me begin by saying I do enjoy playing D3 on the PC, but everyone knows their are huge issues with the PC version... IF the PC version is actually the lead platform, we will see the itemization patch before 9.03.13 which is the release date for the console version right.... PC users have had to deal with horrible itemization for over a year...
06/11/2013 04:06 PMPosted by Troqu
Everything we get is super rushed feeling instead of complete and considering the amount of time you guys spend being mum about things, we are being reasonable to doubt you guys care.

We know that some players feel that way about previous changes we've made (i.e. legendary improvements), and it's not unreasonable. Even if that's not actually the case, that's part of the reason why we're taking things a little more slowly this time around and really looking at more big/sweeping changes to the core of the item game.
Many of these adjustments inspired future changes we'd like to make to PC, and many of them were inspired by plans we already had for improving itemization as a whole. Since we use staggered development (meaning, the PC and console games more or less have separate teams and development cycles), though, it's possible that one game will receive changes before another. Over time, which game that is may switch back and forth. Even so, PC will always be the lead platform.

While I'm not against the current UI of the PC version, I would love to see the kind of UI they have for console's in PC as well. Is it going to be a way to choose which preferable UI we can have for PC in the future? (And also something exclusive for PC version as the compensation for being semi-testers who paid for this seemingly beta kind of a game would be nice.)
06/11/2013 04:09 PMPosted by Lylirra

We know that some players feel that way about previous changes we've made (i.e. legendary improvements), and it's not unreasonable. Even if that's not actually the case, that's part of the reason why we're taking things a little more slowly this time around and really looking at more big/sweeping changes to the core of the item game.

I'm OK with not having upgrades overnight, I totally get that it takes time to do things, especially to do them well. What I DON'T get is that you guys stopped communicating three whole months ago. You gave us some really cool stuff to hope for and then BAM, NOTHING !

That's disrespectful towards the community, even though I know you guys regret that the itemization blog came out so soon (e.g. Travis Day said that in his interview with Archon on Twitch). Once it's done, just stand up to it, don't hide your heads behind your hands, like they could cover you.

So, Lylirra, this comes from a respectful player who loves D3 : why did you guys stop communicating about itemization for so long ? You come out as very unprofessional, especially after you yourself said you guys were going to make efforts to communicate with the community.
And, to add to this lack of communication, we now see all the stuff we'd like to see in D3 in the console version... I really feel betrayed.
i'm OK with not having upgrades overnight, I totally get that it takes time to do things, especially to do them well. What I DON'T get is that you guys stopped communicating three whole months ago. You gave us some really cool stuff to hope for and then BAM, NOTHING !

That's disrespectful towards the community, even though I know you guys regret that the itemization blog came out so soon (e.g. Travis Day said that in his interview with Archon on Twitch). Once it's done, just stand up to it, don't hide your heads behind your hands, like they could cover you.

So, Lylirra, this comes from a respectful player who loves D3 : why did you guys stop communicating about itemization for so long ? You come out as very unprofessional, especially after you yourself said you guys were going to make efforts to communicate with the community.

since they love to keep things in dark, whenever they have something big come out, it'll either hit or miss... because there isn't enough transparency nor do they want to share everything with us so that we can help look for any errors.

I'm OK with not having upgrades overnight, I totally get that it takes time to do things, especially to do them well. What I DON'T get is that you guys stopped communicating three whole months ago. You gave us some really cool stuff to hope for and then BAM, NOTHING !

After catching up. I totally understand your post and I'm a little shocked that In Lylirra's first reply she ignored the fact that the Console is getting better itemization before us. If PC is lead, then we should always get everything first.

We should have had that little adjustment in patch 1.08 yet they implement it in patch 1.07 in the console version. As it looks right now the PC is behind the console. Even-though its not released there still ahead since we dont have it either.

Our loot should have been adjusted in 1.08 for (Less Loot, and Higher quality) and stop the items from rolling things like Barb skills on (Inna's Pants) ect.. These things never should have happend. They didnt in D2.

From what i can tell, The console release will be first, and our itemization patch wont come out till next year. Its a switch off. PC users are mad at the current state of the game, so they force us to buy it for ps3/4 or the xbox if we want (less, but better loot). Then in 2014 we get the update, to force us back into the expansion for more $$$.

The only way i wont see it that way is if 1) Itemization comes out before the console release, or two patch 1.09 comes out before the console release with an update to loot.

You guys already adjusted the loot in patch 1.08 for the increased density, I cant believe this concept of (less loot, but higher quality) was left out. It boggles my mind! I really feel like d3 is a beta and never should have been released.

Honestly, This game is in such bad condition that it should have been fixed FIRST. Then a console release should have come out next year. It's already showing how bad Blizzard likes to rush thing. First rush d3, then take an incomplete (failed game) and port it to Console and include many of the things the PC forum users complain about... I don't know about you but its starting to look bad for the PC community.
06/11/2013 03:59 PMPosted by Lylirra
we'd much rather take our time and come up with something that's actually meaningful

Over a decade and counting ain't enough?

So, Lylirra, this comes from a respectful player who loves D3 : why did you guys stop communicating about itemization for so long ? You come out as very unprofessional, especially after you yourself said you guys were going to make efforts to communicate with the community

That's fair. At the moment, we just don't have a lot of details to share about itemization (beyond what we've already communicated). Our goal is always to share new information once it's available, but the tricky part is what to communicate in between those points. Do we just reiterate what we've already said? Do we talk high-level only? Or do we just remain mum until that new information is out? Players are definitely divided on what they want.

Going to back to Travis's blog, itemization was a very popular topic and we wanted to acknowledge the concerns that players had officially, even if we didn't have a lot of details to share about how we were going to approach specific pain points. That was also feedback we'd heard a lot of: "We don't care if you don't have any details to share. Just respond to us." And so that particular developer journal blog was born, as well as the following Ask the Devs topic.

The upside to posting Travis's blog when we did is that is tackled some of the major discussions players were having while they were new and relevant. It was also a direct response to the feedback we'd been given. The downside is that the blog came out just as we were starting to approach our itemization revamp, so there's not been a lot of new information to share between then and now. We're still working on the same ideas and theories, but nothing's really reached a point where we can communicate that a) these are the things have been locked down and b) here are all the details of how those systems will work. Also, the communication we've provided on those "in-between" stages has been met with a lot of criticism (see the responses to the all itemization-related "Ask the Devs" answers) so far. Some people even said: "I don't know why you're even bothering to answer this if you don't have any details to share" -- which was the exact opposite feedback we'd heard just a few weeks prior.

We'd love to do more informal chats like what Travis and Wyatt did with Archon on the May 15, where the developers just take some time to casually talk about the game and their approach to certain issues. We might not have a lot of new information to share in those chats, but at least it would establish a nice of cadence of conversation. Less formal, more frequent.

But I don't know -- is that something that you guys would appreciate? We're always willing to experiment and find out what method works best to getting you information about the game. (Granted, it may not always be new information since Diablo III doesn't iterate as frequently as games like World of Warcraft or ones that are still in beta, but I think just having some transparency and candid communication with the developers would be nice.)
06/11/2013 06:15 PMPosted by Variable
Over a decade and counting ain't enough?

Not sure what you're actually looking for here with your comment? We admit the item game we created in Diablo III has flaws, we've openly admitted those flaws to our players and that we want to improve them. The next big step is to identify the right way to fix those flaws and, in the process, really re-capture that lust for loot and feeling of "HOLY CRAP ORANGE" that many players feel is missing right now.
Keep feeling the AH
"We'd love to do more informal chats like what Travis and Wyatt did with Archon on the May 15, where the developers just take some time to casually talk about the game and their approach to certain issues. We might not have a lot of new information to share in those chats, but at least it would establish a nice of cadence of conversation. Less formal, more frequent."

sounds great. +1
the question is when and where?