Where to find sleet storm build?

Wizard
Prev 1 3 4 5 8 Next
actually, I'm running SS now.
I want to apologize to rafazafar (although he is so ignorant), heroscraper, and whoever tried SS.
It can work.
working progress. please see my profile. seems to be fine.
Am I the only here who likes Power of the Storm?
Switched to SS too recently from SNS and loving it, I prefer Ice Armor though.
Arcane destruction variant works the best, and is easily the most powerful on higher monster power lvl. It fixes the AP issue for one, but also allows for a lot of fun critting elites for 10-15 millions.

I find doing most of the dmg with EB + SS the best, so everything is set up for higher dps while using those skills. You can also set it up for higher dps while in archon, by using sparkflint and/or glass canon. It is up to you, the build is very versatile.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#ZmhQST!agW!YaaaZa
Arcane destruction variant works the best, and is easily the most powerful on higher monster power lvl. It fixes the AP issue for one, but also allows for a lot of fun critting elites for 10-15 millions.

I find doing most of the dmg with EB + SS the best, so everything is set up for higher dps while using those skills. You can also set it up for higher dps while in archon, by using sparkflint and/or glass canon. It is up to you, the build is very versatile.

Wouldn't you get more average dps from diamond shards instead of arcane destruction? 120s CD time is 8 DS casts, which is over 1600% weapon damage, as well as some extra survivability because of the damage absorption.

Wouldn't you get more average dps from diamond shards instead of arcane destruction? 120s CD time is 8 DS casts, which is over 1600% weapon damage, as well as some extra survivability because of the damage absorption.

Arcane destruction is used to finish off high HP single yellows mostly, usually where AP gets sparse. WHen you get dry, pop it, use it for the remainder of the timer, go back to EB+SS with full AP. By that time, all is dead. You will often finish the pack when you crit with it. WIth a 6% LS Skorn, the heal is massive.

I prefer to cancel the archon timer as soon as I'm finished with the pack, considering that I kill a bit slower in archon form. I should note that it's very useful against running elites, as you can just continu dps'ing them by range and play it as a regular Archon. It offers a great load of variety to the build, from AP management, to quickly finishing off packs , dpsing by range, or simply looking totally badass 1 shotting massive packs of mobs.

I still have a lot to upgrade to achieve higher dps, and farming mp 9-10 already as never been easier and more fun.

Thanks for Heroscaper and Malakai for bringing this build, if only to prove that after all this time we only knew so much about the class ^^
I've run a Sleetstorm Wizard for a while now (I'm currently on break to test CoB WD, but I plan to switch back). I'm currently able to run MP6 quite comfortably, so I'm not exactly a pro. But I'll provide as much help as I can. Here's my advice:

Skills

Primary - Ray of Frost: Sleet Storm
Duh.

Secondary - Blizzard: Snowbound
Blizzard can be cast before you start channeling and adds some much needed extra DPS, and the rune reduces the hit your Arcane Power takes. An alternate rune option is Stark Winter (larger area), but you have to be very strategic when you cast Blizzard and AP becomes problematic in long battles.

Active 1 - Diamond Skin: Diamond Shards
Slot 1 is your utility slot, you can use it for whatever you need. I find Diamond Shards to be quite versatile providing a little extra defense and a little extra punch on offense. The lack of an AP cost is also nice. The most common alternative would be Explosive Blast: Unleashed, which can be used more frequently. Whatever you pick, be wary of skills that can't be cast while channeling.

Active 2 - Teleport: Safe Passage
This slot MUST be used on teleport: it is essential for your survival, particularly when you get caught channeling too long. Safe Passage is highly recommended for the reduced damage, which is great when fleeing for your life or warping into an enemy pack.

Active 3 - Storm Armor: Reactive Armor
Storm Armor is my favorite armor for this build as it provides extra DPS and helps trigger enemies to charge at you (and into range of Sleet Storm). Reactive Armor is my preferred rune as it helps with ranged enemies (a weakness for SS builds), but Shocking Aspect may be worth considering if your critical % is high enough. If your defenses are too low you can utilize Energy Armor instead.

Active 4 - Magic Weapon: Blood Magic
Extra damage is always nice, and Sleet Storm builds tend to need it. I personally like as much life steal as I can get, but if you want pure damage Force Weapon is another great rune to use.

Passive 1 - Cold Blooded
Every last enemy should be slowed with this build, so it's basically 20% extra damage. Yes please.

Passive 2 - Critical Mass
Sleet Storm builds can't abuse CM, but it is fantastic nonetheless. This helps immensely with the CD on teleport and Diamond Shards/Explosive Blast. And Teleport on CD at the wrong time can easily get you killed.

Passive 3 - Astral Presence
This skill allows you to channel Sleet Storm for a longer duration before running out. This is very helpful for fights vs elites or bosses.

Other Passives to consider are Blur (if you need more survivability), Illusionist (if you're a bit undergeared virtually every hit you take will reset teleport), or Power Hungry (if you are on a low enough MP relative to your strength to get a steady stream of globes). You can replace CM if your critical % is too low or Astral Presence if you're fine on AP.

Gear

When gearing your Wizard it is extremely important to obtain enough Life, Armor, and Resistances to survive as you will be getting hit a lot. 40k life, 4k armor, and 600+ AR is probably what you should aim for to get the build to work. Damage is going to be somewhat low to start, and you should try to increase it later without sacrificing your defense. My initial gear that I acquired for 10 million had roughly these defenses (a little low on life, a bit higher on AR) and just over 80k unbuffed paper DPS. However, this was bought pre-1.08 so this may not be realistic anymore due to inflation (or for all I know prices may have fallen on low-end gear).

The one item you MUST have is Skorn with life steal. You will take a lot of damage channeling at close range; life steal is how you survive. Other particular items you should probably use are the Zunimassa Boots/Chest/Ring, a Witching Hour (shocking, I know), and a Storm Crow. Attack speed can be ignored entirely, as your AP will have difficulty keeping up with higher attack speed. Critical hit chance is desirable but it doesn't have to be super high. You also have the option of pursuing Ray of Frost specific CHC on a Stone of Jordan and/or Stormcrow. Unless you have a very high budget you'll probably have to sacrifice a 2nd item with movespeed - we need too much else from our gear.

(If you want to see the gear I'm using look at my WD. Other than the Storm Crow and SoJ left on my Wiz, all the gear I just moved over.)

Other Advice

To ensure proper control it is essential you utilize force standstill (default: shift) so you can channel Sleet Storm easily on demand. It is also highly recommended that you bind JUST move (default: unbound) so you can escape when the battlefield is too cluttered; I personally bind this to mouse 3.

The build is surprisingly versatile, so experiment and find what works for you. It will take a bit of practice to get the hang of this build, so don't give up on it immediately. Try and have a reasonable expectation as well - it's never going to match SNS, but that's ok. It's still quite effective and more importantly it is extremely fun.
good advice there. I am thinking of building up a sleet storm build with my current gear config :)

i am kinda accustomed to galvanizing ward as a 3rd passive and not having it makes me uncomfortable. :(
06/17/2013 11:52 AMPosted by Loroese
Malakai has already extensively given his reasons why he dislikes AD though. I can't help but feel like I make him cringe everytime I post about it, mwahahahaha.

haha. Nah, I don't cringe. I understand your and Tekk's reasons for using LL+AD in the build. I just don't think high APS Sleet Storm builds are optimal is all. Are they viable? Absolutely. I've gotten 2.5 APS Sleet Storm to work just fine using some creativity and without LL+AD. I prefer higher weapon damage, though (not necessarily 2H), because it affects more things in the build.

In my current build, for example, which works with both 1h and 2h, reaching higher APS breakpoints does nothing for Archon Destruction, EB, or Reactive Armor. At equal DPS, there's no difference in the damage done by SS or Archon beam with higher APS (300k dps at 1 APS is the same as 300k dps at 3 APS for example), but in the case of SS higher APS means more AP consumption. The tradeoff is that you get more CM procs, but your EBs are going to hit for less (again, at equal DPS). And with more CM procs it means you're casting EBs more often, but that also means you're consuming AP even faster as a result. And I don't think you're getting enough extra CM procs to make up for your EBs hitting for less (again, at equal dps but differing APS breakpoints).

Higher APS is required for really, really high sheet dps, though. So if you want like Jaetch level of gear in a Sleet Storm build you have no choice but to get to around 2 APS. In that case, LL in the build might also be a requirement. But even then you're not going to get to his level of sheet because AD will take the place of Glass Cannon, LL will take the place of Sparkflint, and you're probably still going to need Blood Magic to punch through RD so no Force Weapon. It might not seem like much, but at his level of gear those buffs add an insane amount of dps. He gets more from those buffs than most people have on their gear, for example. So you're looking at maybe maxing out at around 400-450k sheet with Blood Magic buff up if you can't use Glass Cannon, Sparkflint, and Force Weapon. Probably less actually, because you're going to need more mitigation than he has since you don't have 40% extra AR and Armor from Archon form. I'm at about 400k against elites (not counting Cold Blooded) already using a 2H, and with Archon Destruction I can take about 3/4 HP off of champions if it crits, significantly speeding things up. And because of the 6% LS, I can run with lower mitigation and HP. So a higher APS 1H setup using LL+AD really isn't going to give much more benefit and consistency over a more "standard" build variation.
just tell me when comp starts im not ah sniping for a week
or why dont we just do me vs malakai
two gg sets vs eachother ;p

Dude:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDcfNSnWC2g

I posted that last month on the 30th in response to the WD videos you kept spamming on this message board and you never stepped up. Ball's been in your court for over 2 weeks. :P

GG if you beat it, though, and you can take home the Burger King crown if you do. I'm not really interested in continuing WD versus Wiz pis.sing contests. I had enough of that stuff back in my WoW days on my Warlock. I prefer seeing new builds in action, or seeing people intentionally handicap themselves and overcome challenges. Like when someone posted a challenge for us to kill Ubers on MP10 using no CM, and only Loroese, Yems, and I stepped up and pulled it off, each using different builds. Or when Yems was posting videos of him killing bosses on Inferno MP3 or something like that using only blue gear. Those are real measures of skill (which is why Yems is probably the best player on this message board until we see otherwise). Not seeing how fast you can do VoA with perma-freeze or ridiculous lifesteal. Those are more measures of out-gearing content than anything.
06/17/2013 08:02 PMPosted by Loroese

I posted a video in my video thread of the build the other day. I also wrote a lengthy explanation regarding the usage of it in the same thread. You can read about it here if you want:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8770357728?page=5#94

Basically, not only does Archon Destruction give a huge burst of damage (around 15m in my gear if it crits against elites), but it addresses the AP issues at the same time without needing a passive to do so. So you replace Sparkflint with Archon Destruction, and replace your 3rd passive with like Glass Cannon. So you don't lose any dps since GC is replacing Sparkflint (you actually gain dps), and you get the benefit of a 1600% weapon damage big m'effing blast to the face on almost every elite pack. You can cancel right after if you want, too. I cancel if I have enough AP to finish the pack with SS+EB. I'll stay in Archon if I need to replenish AP.

Heroscaper came up with the idea back in April:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8196601612?page=6#101
Wow how could I miss that post!? Trying out Sleet Storm + Archon Destruction tonight.
I also like the bit about running Tyrael's Might. One of the things I miss is 24% movespeed because of not running lacuni/innas.

Thanks for the suggestions, Heroscaper.
Yea, I want to be able to use Tyrael's Might as well, but I can't right now. Since I'm using Glass Cannon, my mitigation is already just barely above where I want it. Replacing my Zuni chest with a 3 socket Tyrael's means I'd lose about 350 armor, 55 AR from the 3p Zuni set bonus, and 234 Vit. Ouch.

So what I need to do is get lucky with crafting some sick gloves for starters. Would need double int, vit, AR, trifecta (although I'd be happy with double int, vit, armor, AR, CC, CHD). And a better Witching Hour (double int, vit, AR, armor), and a Zuni ring with CC, average damage or vit, and armor roll. Then I can use Tyrael's Might. :D
Ok, I see the point about arcane destruction. Basically it takes the place of LL and rolls DS into one large blast for high burst damage rather than having higher sustained aoe, likely since you already have sufficient aoe between SS and EB. With a 1h build I don't like using GC since I tend to need EA to not kill myself against RD, but maybe I'll try reactive armor one of these days and see how the survivability compares. Also Archon form can add some extra defenses needed to make RD more manageable. The minor downside is it does less dps than SS, but only about 20% less which isn't bad, but bonus is it does more dps than LL which does very pitiful damage. I might have to try that when I get the chance, if I get a chance anytime soon.

As for dynamo in high dps builds, I say it's less useful as you raise your dps high enough, because the uptime on it lowers and at some point you'll get the same dps from LL to AD powered SS as pure SS channel. Instead I see it as more of a way to push higher MP then your dps might dictate. At high dps you might as well use GC instead since the 10-12% higher effective dps full time vs the 50-60% higher burst dps under controlled conditions looks much more appealing when trash is dying faster than you can stack dynamo.
06/18/2013 12:40 AMPosted by oOgA
i am kinda accustomed to galvanizing ward as a 3rd passive and not having it makes me uncomfortable. :(

With enough Life Steal you won't need it. You can use that slot for something better. :)
06/18/2013 10:29 AMPosted by Bukizzle

With enough Life Steal you won't need it. You can use that slot for something better. :)

Agreed. IMO the only reason to use galv ward is for Archon to not have to drop out every 2 min to refresh it. Well, if you're still playing a kiting spec then it's not too bad, but almost no one uses those builds anymore since they're horribly inefficient compared to other builds like SS. Otherwise LS >> life regen for every other build (or LoH for WW based builds). Life regen just doesn't scale with mobs like LS does, so while it might help against a single RD mob, a second RD mob suddenly makes life scary, so you're much better off just getting more mitigation and/or life steal.
I love my Sleet Storm setup:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UZSQlT!ZXW!bYcZYZ

Nothing fancy, and I don't use any special gear. Just lots of damage reduction and some life steal. Does MP10 very easy. I did throw in The Oculus for some APoC and a bonus to teleport to make it feel smoother.
I'll try it tonight. I was testing it out on the PTR a while back ago. But I was relatively new to wiz at the time. I think when I ended up testing out COB with WD and found it boring... I sort of just chalked Sleet Storm to have the same effect.
@Neoshinji, try it. was hard to stay alive in MP10 last night but it's a good viable build I didn't realized. I had my mouth speak first before testing. I thought I could take a short cut.