Acheived OWE Free

Monk
IMO, getting rid of your passive may require a bit more thought than a 1-for-1 swap from OWE to another passive and everything else remains the same. I think there are situations that a different defensive passive would make sense if you put in an active skill that would work well with a different passive for a different look.

The examples I gave were the ideas around use NDE passive to accommodate EP active skill to prevent instadeath in reflect packs. Or Pacifism passive to accommodate a build that does not use serenity or DS, which means getting caught in a lot of sticky situations with jailer and frozen monster packs. So OWE will not do anything for you when your EP explodes in reflect packs, and will do nothing when you are locked in place while plagued and arcane beams are hitting you (and you absolutely cannot move). In both of those cases, OWE would provide very little help because the assistance you get from OWE is "always on" whereas NDE or pacificism provides much better support in limited situations. Think of those other passives as giving HUGE EHP boosts when you need it most while having enough EHP in regular situations.

ManUnited... since you've gone through the heartache of going OWE free, I encourage you to use different skill combinations. You might actually find yourself stronger in the end.
IMO, getting rid of your passive may require a bit more thought than a 1-for-1 swap from OWE to another passive and everything else remains the same. I think there are situations that a different defensive passive would make sense if you put in an active skill that would work well with a different passive for a different look.

The examples I gave were the ideas around use NDE passive to accommodate EP active skill to prevent instadeath in reflect packs. Or Pacifism passive to accommodate a build that does not use serenity or DS, which means getting caught in a lot of sticky situations with jailer and frozen monster packs. So OWE will not do anything for you when your EP explodes in reflect packs, and will do nothing when you are locked in place while plagued and arcane beams are hitting you (and you absolutely cannot move). In both of those cases, OWE would provide very little help because the assistance you get from OWE is "always on" whereas NDE or pacificism provides much better support in limited situations. Think of those other passives as giving HUGE EHP boosts when you need it most while having enough EHP in regular situations.

ManUnited... since you've gone through the heartache of going OWE free, I encourage you to use different skill combinations. You might actually find yourself stronger in the end.

I'm a bit lost now.......yes, would try different build again!
@ManUnited

NDE is great skill too. this skill is great with high end gears (300+ kdps), just need 1 or 2 shot BOM lol ( sooo fast), with mid end gears (200+kdps), hight AR more survival than NDE (60s).. low AR too much kiting :-P
@ManUnited

NDE is great skill too. this skill is great with high end gears (300+ kdps), just need 1 or 2 shot BOM lol ( sooo fast), with mid end gears (200+kdps), hight AR more survival than NDE (60s).. low AR too much kiting :-P

I'm not necessary kitting in solo. I'm worry on public MP10.
@Nameless

Thanks, Namelesss! Yes you are right, I tried NDE that is great! Ive just played with kim and no sruvival problem on MP10. Everything is solved out! And Nivrana is great too. I'm really happy OWE free.
Thumbs up! Grats on well selected cost efficient gear to hit your goals.

Cheers,
CC-

EDIT: I also love NDE. It allows you to skimp a bit in your eHP/sustain while still keeping an aggressive playstyle.
@Nameless

Thanks, Namelesss! Yes you are right, I tried NDE that is great! Ive just played with kim and no sruvival problem on MP10. Everything is solved out! And Nivrana is great too. I'm really happy OWE free.

Haha... that is AWESOME! Honestly, you should experiment with different OWE-free builds. You have a pretty awesome setup (better than mine), and you can afford to drop a couple of MP levels to try new skill combinations that use passives that you would have never otherwise touched because you thought you needed OWE. Once you get comfortable with a new build, slowly bring yourself back up to MP10. See how many viable OWE-free builds you can come up with by mixing up skills & gear. Personally, I think that's gonna be half the fun for me from here on out for me... I hope that I can manage at least 10 by the time I hit P100. I think I'm sitting at around 5 or 6 right now. :)

By the way, you'll need to find a way to throw in BoY in there so you can increase your uptime on both BoH/IWL and BF/FitL. Maybe you can put that instead of NDE once you feel more comfortable with Nirvana and other funky skills.

And one last thing... if you are planning to go bell-centric nirvana build, I'd strongly recommend that you put in a ruby instead of emerald in your MH weapon. It'll drop your paper DPS, but your MH weapon damage will increase significantly, making all of your bells stronger. :) Not that you are asking for this advice... but consider this a friendly suggestion. :)

Have fun!!!
@Nameless

Haha... that is AWESOME! Honestly, you should experiment with different OWE-free builds. You have a pretty awesome setup (better than mine), and you can afford to drop a couple of MP levels to try new skill combinations that use passives that you would have never otherwise touched because you thought you needed OWE. Once you get comfortable with a new build, slowly bring yourself back up to MP10. See how many viable OWE-free builds you can come up with by mixing up skills & gear. Personally, I think that's gonna be half the fun for me from here on out for me... I hope that I can manage at least 10 by the time I hit P100. I think I'm sitting at around 5 or 6 right now. :)

By the way, you'll need to find a way to throw in BoY in there so you can increase your uptime on both BoH/IWL and BF/FitL. Maybe you can put that instead of NDE once you feel more comfortable with Nirvana and other funky skills.

And one last thing... if you are planning to go bell-centric nirvana build, I'd strongly recommend that you put in a ruby instead of emerald in your MH weapon. It'll drop your paper DPS, but your MH weapon damage will increase significantly, making all of your bells stronger. :) Not that you are asking for this advice... but consider this a friendly suggestion. :)

Have fun!!!

Thanks your advice and encouragment! You are good gamer on D3.

Thumbs up! Grats on well selected cost efficient gear to hit your goals.

Cheers,
CC-

EDIT: I also love NDE. It allows you to skimp a bit in your eHP/sustain while still keeping an aggressive playstyle.

Also thanks your appreciation. You are good gamer too!
I just spent around 200M the other night trying to ditch OWE (Both rings, helm, pants, belt, bracers, and boots), ended up with about 30K more DPS than my previous grouping setup along with dropping OWE. Then I spent several million on crafting gloves, BP, bracers, and amulets and ended up with my amulet in my profile, lost about 6K HP for 12K DPS, which brings me up to 137K DPS. Really wish I could get somewhere close to 200k DPS now.

Lol, great, now I feel like kicking myself. Decided to look for Nat's rings with crit and 60AR, saw one with 3.5CC and 60AR and 12% life for less than what I paid for mine. Well, there's more money down the drain for almost 1K DPS and 4.3K HP.
being OWE is a good thing but its not being nerfed

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794319883?page=45#889

unless there has been updates since this about the OWE nerf that I havent seen I'd like to just posting this so people don't go blowing 500mil to change over =p
I applaud those that gear themselves out of OWE. It is something I will do eventually, but for now I have found that keeping it is the most cost-effective way to raise EHP and DPS together. For example, I picked up a new Nat's ring with higher phys res to bring my EHP to 701k. I have achieved my EHP goal and now can adopt a wait and see stance regarding itemization while keeping an eye out for incremental DPS upgrades. If the ability to socket weapons is introduced, I will be able to raise my DPS to 300k+ while keeping my EHP where it is.

As a point of inspiration, are there any DW monks who have 700k EHP without OWE?
That post is almost a year old, and there's a very good chance it will get changed if/when they do a major skill overhaul. Plus freeing up a skill slot > being locked into OWE. Now if only more passives were usable... I like being able to use Combination Strike/Exalted Soul/Guiding Light instead of OWE, especially CS since I can end up getting to 175k - 225k (or something) DPS depending on my set up.

06/26/2013 01:24 AMPosted by Treleth
As a point of inspiration, are there any DW monks who have 700k EHP without OWE?

Well, I can, but I don't have anywhere near the DPS you do as it is. If I put on my Blackthorne's Pants, I end up with 814K EHP (290 vit + 100 vit from the set bonus + 12% life, they are a 191K EHP difference over my Inna's pants), but that costs me around 12k DPS which leaves me at 127K.
06/26/2013 01:24 AMPosted by Treleth

Why would you need that much? I mean, I can sometimes rock 600K+ EHP with my 2H (and probably my DW) but I sometimes think that is overkill. Once you can gear out of OWE, you have options about how to use your active/passive skills that will increase your build variety. I've laid out examples on how you can do that earlier in the thread... but the always-on nature of high EHP is really not necessary, when you have situation specific scenarios that can provide you near-infinite EHP in situations that you are most prone to dying (i.e. when you are jailed/frozen or when your EP explodes on an RD pack) where high EHP will do little or nothing at all for you.
06/26/2013 05:23 AMPosted by Nameless

Why would you need that much? I mean, I can sometimes rock 600K+ EHP with my 2H (and probably my DW) but I sometimes think that is overkill. Once you can gear out of OWE, you have options about how to use your active/passive skills that will increase your build variety. I've laid out examples on how you can do that earlier in the thread... but the always-on nature of high EHP is really not necessary, when you have situation specific scenarios that can provide you near-infinite EHP in situations that you are most prone to dying (i.e. when you are jailed/frozen or when your EP explodes on an RD pack) where high EHP will do little or nothing at all for you.

It isn't a need. It's a preference. : ) I play a lot of pub games and like making sure I'm not dead to maximize Cyclone Strike and Overawe uptime while keeping things straightforward for myself. I could drop OWE, still have 470k EHP, and go with Nirvana for example, but it isn't how I like to play.

With that being said, I do appreciate the builds that have been circulating as of late. I think they have helped put the "this game doesn't require skill" argument to rest. : )
Finally, I'm OWE free!
Another one! Congrats! :)
08/28/2013 02:04 AMPosted by AlphaShift14
Another one! Congrats! :)

Yes, I like those moment!
I never had to think about OWE. When I moved my gear from my DH, I had the AR to begin with. I can still bring my AR up to 587 with a loss of 12k dps if I want to, but I am fine at this time without the extra AR.
ManUnited...you're my hero. ;)