Help my elemental arrow noob!

Demon Hunter
This is a question about ball lighting vs nether. NOT a post to tell me to use another build.

I have long used ball lighting. I did one run last night with nether tentacles. I need to clarify a few things and want help. Most elemental allow dh use ball lighting..

1. Nether seems to hit twice as hard but only once?

2. Nethers range on the sides seems slightly more narrow?

3. Ball lighting strikes multiple times. But on many small mobs only.shocks once. Large enemies it seems to shock 2x

So....this has led me to ask....why ball lightning>nether? If nether hits twice as hard but only once and ball lightning seems to only hit bigger targets twice why does everybody pick it? It just seems nether is faster at killing trash mobs
Its bacause it has much more practical uses than nether at the moment. Ball lightning has a large AoE and continues to shock its target as long as the ball is close enough. This is probably the easiest way to kill act 2 key warden. But nether only hits it target once and a very small AoE along witg its slow moving projectile. As well ball lightning since it hits multiple enemies, prod night stalker very nicely.
Does nether hit 2x as hard? Or more/less?

For trash mobs in act1, can ball hit 2x? Many are small.

Also, if I dont use night.stalker, does this tip favor away from ball lightning?
Does nether hit 2x as hard? Or more/less?

For trash mobs in act1, can ball hit 2x? Many are small.

Also, if I dont use night.stalker, does this tip favor away from ball lightning?
'

You can try it out yourself.. But I, myself, I made a thread regarding this, tested Nether.. TRIED to make it work.. it does work in some extent.. but BL can be better if you synergize around it.

BL can hit as long as the projectile can touch the enemy, example would be in WF's KB. Nether hits once per enemy.. and will never hit the same enemy until it vanishes.. AFAIK.
Nether only hits one time, period.

Ball Lightning has the potential to hit more than the initial 2 times. Knowing how to create this scenario comes with experience.

NT hits once for 155% weapon damage, Ball Lightning hits twice for 77.5% with the potential to hit more.

Nether Tentacles has a .5 proc so a crit has a 50% chance to return 1 disc through Nightstalker or 50% of a crowd control proc effect like knockback from a Windforce 44% knockback Windforce = 22% chance on NT. But it only hits ONCE per shot, period.

Ball Lightning has a .25 proc, 25% chance to return 1 disc through Nightstalker but hits 2x with the potential to hit more than that.
06/26/2013 09:12 AMPosted by ActionKungfu
Ball Lightning has a .25 proc, 25% chance to return 1 disc through Nightstalker but hits 2x with the potential to hit more than that.

The potential here is if the enemy hit already 2 times by the BL is somehow KBed or repositioned by some way that it will get hit again, it will get hit again :)

BL + WF + Scoundrel with WF is fun.
How reliably does BL hit twice?

Ive tried on small targets in testing and i seem to often get 1 tick. On trees and chargers its not a big deal, but on small sized trash i am questioning things

My DH is terrible at killing elites. However she seems decent on trash mobs. Im trying to optimize:nze her dps contribution by making her the best trash killer i can. No way i can compete with bear and bat docs. But wrecking trash mobs really fast will help the party
How reliably does BL hit twice?

Ive tried on small targets in testing and i seem to often get 1 tick. On trees and chargers its not a big deal, but on small sized trash i am questioning things

My DH is terrible at killing elites. However she seems decent on trash mobs. Im trying to optimize:nze her dps contribution by making her the best trash killer i can. No way i can compete with bear and bat docs. But wrecking trash mobs really fast will help the party

Don't even bother trying to compete with Bear/Bat Docs.. that's just.. near impossible.

Try it more, you'll see that it can tick twice per mob ;)
I love vengeance. I usually play MP4 so i always have full hatred. I've used ball lightning mostly to P27 with 1-2 runs on NT.

Maybe ill do a full night of NT and re eval. I do love seeing all mobs tick from BL, but its only criting for 110-140. Makes me sad...at least NT crits for 280-290

If I could only raise up my eHP I might be comfortable enough to drop preparation from RF on elites, but I use vault a lot for.mobility and positioning for optimal coverage