Wishlist - Game Improvements

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 7 Next
Why don't you throw in the kitchen sink too to assure no one will ever take the time to read it.
Edit: for leveling you can add things like reduce cooldown by 1%
Add x% damage by 1%. Reduce cost of skills by 1%. Make it to choose so you can customize your char of course % was just an example numbers would need to be worked. If you can think of other adds to choose from.

I understand your idea, but this is a huge gameplay overhaul. How would Blizzard balance this towards all gear, builds and classes? Its a difficult addition to make since you have to consider the mind of every exploiter, but obviously it can work it balanced a bit - but you have to rebalance everything towards that again.

Thus, how do you suggest to implement such a system?

Edit: Did a re-quote.
07/03/2013 11:47 AMPosted by hawkeye
Why don't you throw in the kitchen sink too to assure no one will ever take the time to read it.

The kitchen sink wouldn't be able to fit in the first page.
I see your point, but I interpreted it as such: 1.)Flippers are disadvantaged by having to join town, 2.)but so are those who genuinely want to quickly use the AH.

Is it worth it to punish those who genuinely use the AH, in order to add a minor penalty of say 2% extra time spent to flippers?

This system causes a minor inconvenience to flippers and a major inconvenience to non-flippers, considering the relative time non-flippers use the AH.

Edit: Changed 2% to 2% extra time spent

You are a flipper who is inconvenienced by this setup currently.
It isn't a MAJOR inconvenience to most players. It certainly doesn't inconvenience me at all, I use the AH when I finish a run, or just before I start one, my inventory rarely ever gets filled up since most rares are trash and not worth looting. Allowing players to organize their stash and vendor items outside of the game would only promote flipping, not using the AH quickly. If you are quick enough at using the AH's why is this such a matter?

Wouldn't it just make sense to organize and vendor before you left the game to use the AH's?
Wouldn't it just make sense to organize and vendor before you left the game to use the AH's?

Sure it it would, but I'm far too lazy for that. I'm a bad AH player, and I don't want to try and send stuff to stash just to discover that its full. How much people do you think are constant flippers?
07/03/2013 12:39 PMPosted by pusimusidu

Sure it it would, but I'm far too lazy for that. I'm a bad AH player, and I don't want to try and send stuff to stash just to discover that its full. How much people do you think are constant flippers?

Alot more than you probably anticipate.
And Micromanagement has been a part of Diablo, it actually is much easier now than it was in D2. Your stash was Half the size and some things were 6 or 8 spaces large.

Edit:
Though I would like the option to have the Nephelem Cube
http://diablo.gamepedia.com/Nephalem_Cube
So that we can destroy as we go.
Edit:

I remember seeing that a lot during development. Any ideas why they removed it? Who's idea was it that Blacksmith Salvage > Nephalem Cube?

07/03/2013 12:42 PMPosted by grovak
Your stash was Half the size and some things were 6 or 8 spaces large.

The only difference (and most significant): Most things in the stash was worth a lot more than now. :) Hopefully Loot 2.0 can help this, but I doubt it'll bring gear to the value of D2... maybe close though.
Also make so the cursor doesn't inter-act with your equipment belt, follower etc. Make so you have to use a combo set (like alt)

Give us control of the cursor size and color!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also make so the cursor doesn't inter-act with your equipment belt, follower etc. Make so you have to use a combo set (like alt)

Give us control of the cursor size and color!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure what you mean by the first point? Do you mean the skill-bar/follower icon should not be interacted with?

I've already added your mouse suggestion - Aesthetics #1.
Nice thread, pusimusidu; you've come up with and collected a lot of great ideas here, and I'm glad you kept working on this one after that early criticism; it's a really useful resource now, and I hope the devs pay attention. (EDIT: to that end, I've requested a sticky on this one.)

Also, kudos to all who came up with the included ideas, and I'm not just saying that because one of mine made the cut :) I do wish it'd been possible to do this topic without dragging the Great Self Found vs. Auction House Debate into it, though, but that seems to be the topic du jour, so probably not avoidable.

Now, some comments:

5.) Sorting items by bid amount: I'm there's a reason why one can't sort by bidding, to prevent sniping or some other reason. But why? Either way, this is a feature that should be implemented.

I think this wasn't implemented mainly bc the bidding column changes so quickly, and so frequently. It might be more useful to have the option of filtering out items whose current bid is higher than your available gold, although that would kind of be #6.

8.) Increased stack sizes for gems/crafting materials: I have plenty of flawless squares sitting around waiting to be crafted, and wish they didn't take up so much space while I hunt down tomes. [Thanks Kuronishen!]

A good idea, but I wonder why Tomes can't be purchased at one of those random-spawning vendors? It would be a nifty little gold sink, while maintaining the "random find" aspect.

13.) Customization of auto-loot options: Have the option to set which gear to be auto-looted, similar to the way that gold is eg. Setting a minimum iLvl to be looted (Which adjusts itself with +1 iLvL) as you your character levels, auto-looting a minimum tier potion (eg. all cLvl 60's will auto-loot mythic potions), auto-loot materials etc. [Thanks Reximus!]

I don't know that auto-looting is necessarily the way to go for items, but we could definitely use the option to filter what displays on the ground: showing "only magical or better items," or "only rare or better items," or "only set/legendary items" would reduce some of the clutter. Also, did anyone suggest having the option to prevent picking up from the ground unless items are currently displayed (via Alt)?

3.3) The 7th skill slot: Quite a silly idea, but might wildly increase the amount of viable builds or reduce them. This is up for debate, but in my mind this is a clearcut improvement and will improve the gameplay.

I don't know that re-balancing skills "with predetermined builds in mind" is the way to go, but the game originally included a 7th skill slot, bound to the right mouse button and swappable (is even a word?) using the mouse wheel; they could add that back into the game relatively easily, since the code for it is already basically written.

3.) Altering the movement speed cap: Why is it capped at 25%? Why not more? I think this would be better to be increased (to 40%? What's a sensible number?), or just completely scrapped.

Maybe replace the hard cap with a "diminishing returns" model: up to +10% your gear increases your move speed by 1:1; from 11% to 20%, it's 1:2 (so, half as quickly); from 21% to 30%, it's 1:3, and so on. You'd need a total of +100% move speed from gear to realize a +40% real speed increase, but can still stack as much movement speed as you like. Also, maybe tweak the base movement speed of all characters by +5% or so, or give an option to boost your move speed by holding the space bar or something when moving through areas that you know you've already cleared (it can reduce your armor slighty to offset, which will limit its use in uncleared areas).
4.) Buff followers. Multiplayer is in a state where singleplayer is not worth it anymore. Buff the followers to a point where they are a lot better, but still keep multiplayer the better option in order to not make solo-ing the most efficient again.

Rather than buffing followers, I'd just like to be able to travel with two followers at the same time. Did you know that they banter, when you have two of them together? There's a whole bunch of intra-follower interaction that was written and recorded, which most players never hear. Some of it's pretty funny, too. Your currently "hired" follower never takes part, though; only the two that you've rejected.
I hate that dyes are random on the vendors. I wanted to get a vanishing dye and had to re-enter couple times in Act II to get it. Overall just a hassle for dyes being scattered everywhere and being random.

Followers auto-level to 60.
Item link outside the game.
Edit:

I remember seeing that a lot during development. Any ideas why they removed it? Who's idea was it that Blacksmith Salvage > Nephalem Cube?

I seem to recall JW saying that they wanted to force players to go back to town more, so that the constant monster-slaying didn't get monotonous; the trips back to town added a little variety to the experience. I don't know whether it was his idea, though.
2.) Remove the class-specific gear restriction. Ok, a witch doctor helm isn't very good for a barbarian, but who cares? I want to have an eye rolling around! You should be able to wear it. Not the greatest idea (or maybe.. it is?), but hey... I'm trying! :)

Sorry, but I've given it some thought, and I still think that this should be left off the list. For one thing, all armour pieces in the game have different art for each class, except the class-specific ones; I would rather have them add more and better items to the game, than waste time re-skinning WD armour pieces for Barbarians. Really, if you want to wear a WD's helm, you should roll a WD; it gives a little added incentive to roll alternate characters.

There are a couple of things that they can do with class-specific items, though, that I would totally be behind:
  • Class-specific items should not have non-class-specific affixes that are somehow still unique to that item class: e.g. Mighty Belts should not be the only belts that can roll Life Steal.
  • Class-specific items should be guaranteed at least one class-specific affix, either to boost resource generation, boost the effectiveness of specific skills, reduce the cool-down time of an entire category of skills, add a specific extra passive to your character, etc.
07/02/2013 01:51 PMPosted by Fragbait
Change the checkpoint system. either make it shorter to return to the point of your demise, or for a small fee, return you to the scene of the crime.

I actually kinda like the way TL2 handled this, giving you the option of restarting in town (free), at the entrance to the dungeon (for 5% of your current gold), or right where you were, in the fight (for 10% of your current gold). Basically, you could "pay" to minimize the inconvenience of dying, or save the gold if you didn't mind that long walk back.
I had a couple of other ideas, too:
1) Thorns:
Blizzard really seem to want to keep this in the game, but right now it sucks, as do skills that mimic the mechanic. Working on the principle that players are the equivalent of elite monsters, though, they could replace this with something more like Reflect Damage. On items, give it a % chance to trigger whenever the character takes damage, and have it reflect a % of that damage back at the source, regardless of the damage type or source (on skills, it would have to work more reliably, of course), and maybe boost the chance of it triggering by the character's dodge chance, making dodge useful even for non-Dex-based characters.

2) Life on Kill:
Another fairly useless affix, that I'm again assuming that Blizzard will want to keep. What if it replenished a % of the player's total life with each kill, rather than just a set number of points? To convert from current point-based affix to the new %-based affix, look at the average points gained per kill at each iLevel, and divide by the minimum character Life at the minimum required character level (and multiply by 100). It still wouldn't be the equal of Life Steal, but it would be a lot more useful; right now, it's a totally wasted affix.

Maybe add a "new or improved weapon affixes" group to your list?
07/04/2013 06:28 PMPosted by Waitubold
2.) Remove the class-specific gear restriction. Ok, a witch doctor helm isn't very good for a barbarian, but who cares? I want to have an eye rolling around! You should be able to wear it. Not the greatest idea (or maybe.. it is?), but hey... I'm trying! :)

Sorry, but I've given it some thought, and I still think that this should be left off the list. For one thing, all armour pieces in the game have different art for each class, except the class-specific ones; I would rather have them add more and better items to the game, than waste time re-skinning WD armour pieces for Barbarians. Really, if you want to wear a WD's helm, you should roll a WD; it gives a little added incentive to roll alternate characters.

There are a couple of things that they can do with class-specific items, though, that I would totally be behind:
  • Class-specific items should not have non-class-specific affixes that are somehow still unique to that item class: e.g. Mighty Belts should not be the only belts that can roll Life Steal.
  • Class-specific items should be guaranteed at least one class-specific affix, either to boost resource generation, boost the effectiveness of specific skills, reduce the cool-down time of an entire category of skills, add a specific extra passive to your character, etc.

I really like your suggestions at the bottom, and I understand the extremeness of this idea, but it was moved to the "Insignificant/Extreme" when you last called me out for it! :) But apparently transmogging on gear is on its way, so woohoo for some gear looks customization!

PS: To all other posts, I'm busy compiling them to be added again. BTW, some people seem to really dislike having a post that is too long (First post)?
07/04/2013 05:43 PMPosted by Kageki
Item link outside the game.

Do you mean linking gear whilst say browsing the internet or in forums?

07/04/2013 05:19 PMPosted by Waitubold
I'd just like to be able to travel with two followers at the same time. Did you know that they banter, when you have two of them together? There's a whole bunch of intra-follower interaction that was written and recorded, which most players never hear. Some of it's pretty funny, too. Your currently "hired" follower never takes part, though; only the two that you've rejected.

Sweet, did not know that! Or maybe I did, but just didn't notice!

Maybe replace the hard cap with a "diminishing returns" model: up to +10% your gear increases your move speed by 1:1; from 11% to 20%, it's 1:2 (so, half as quickly); from 21% to 30%, it's 1:3, and so on. You'd need a total of +100% move speed from gear to realize a +40% real speed increase, but can still stack as much movement speed as you like. Also, maybe tweak the base movement speed of all characters by +5% or so, or give an option to boost your move speed by holding the space bar or something when moving through areas that you know you've already cleared (it can reduce your armor slighty to offset, which will limit its use in uncleared areas).

A Good mechanic. I'll edit this in later.

07/04/2013 02:03 PMPosted by Waitubold
A good idea, but I wonder why Tomes can't be purchased at one of those random-spawning vendors? It would be a nifty little gold sink, while maintaining the "random find" aspect.

Are other books/scrolls purchasable at those random vendors? Can't remember it though, maybe I'll have to check them out again.

Edit:
07/04/2013 09:20 PMPosted by Waitubold
Maybe add a "new or improved weapon affixes" group to your list?

I'll add this in if you or someone else can maybe list a few that obviously aren't ridiculous or anything. It does not have to be perfect (but would be ideal!), but atleast something Blizzard can work with.
New Additions

Convenience

16.) Customizing loot visibility (This is probably the better alternative to 12.) auto-loot customization): This is something that's already in development (or decision phase), but nonetheless: There are too much white/grey/blue drops on the ground. Until the gain a useful salvaging feature, it would be sweet if we could turn their visibility off to not accidently pick on up every 30 seconds. [Thanks Waitubold!]

This is really important, not simply due to accidently picking some unwanted gear up. I've found that with enough gear on the ground, a limit of names is reached so that only a portion of the gear is shown, thus hiding wanted rare/legendary/set gear. This is probably the main concern on my books.

17.) Linking items outside of Diablo III: There should be a way to link any gear, be it from the stash, inventory or currently worn, to show other people or post in the forums. Currently, most people take screenshots of the gear and have to constantly post external links to image-hosting sites to show their gear. Isn't there an easier/safer way to do this? This would be really convenient for most players, especially those who are heavy forum users! [Thanks Kageki!]

Gameplay

3.) Edit: Maybe replace the hard cap with a "diminishing returns" model: up to +10% your gear increases your move speed by 1:1; from 11% to 20%, it's 1:2 (so, half as quickly); from 21% to 30%, it's 1:3, and so on. You'd need a total of +100% move speed from gear to realize a +40% real speed increase, but can still stack as much movement speed as you like. Also, maybe tweak the base movement speed of all characters by +5% or so, or give an option to boost your move speed by holding the space bar or something when moving through areas that you know you've already cleared (it can reduce your armour slightly to offset, which will limit its use in uncleared areas). [Thanks Waitubold!]

7.) Class-specific items should have class specific benefits: Class-specific items should not have non-class-specific affixes that are somehow still unique to that item class: e.g. Mighty Belts should not be the only belts that can roll Life Steal. Likewise, class-specific items should be guaranteed at least one class-specific affix, either to boost resource generation, boost the effectiveness of specific skills, reduce the cool-down time of an entire category of skills, add a specific extra passive to your character, etc. [Thanks Waitubold!]

8.) Improving Thorns: Working on the principle that players are the equivalent of elite monsters, they could replace this with something more like Reflect Damage. On items, give it a % chance to trigger whenever the character takes damage, and have it reflect a % of that damage back at the source, regardless of the damage type or source (on skills, it would have to work more reliably, of course), and maybe boost the chance of it triggering by the character's dodge chance, making dodge useful even for non-Dex-based characters. [Thanks Waitubold!]

9.) Improving Life on Hit: Working on the principle that players are the equivalent of elite monsters, though, they could replace this with something more like Reflect Damage. On items, give it a % chance to trigger whenever the character takes damage, and have it reflect a % of that damage back at the source, regardless of the damage type or source (on skills, it would have to work more reliably, of course), and maybe boost the chance of it triggering by the character's dodge chance, making dodge useful even for non-Dex-based characters. [Thanks Waitubold!]