Echoing Fury is Infuriating

General Discussion
That's the one reason I choose NOT to use it. No matter what I used for my WD, I love destroying packs as a whole. I hate running after individual monsters. On the other hand, we aren't necessarily supposed to be doing that, so it's quite the contradiction we have going on here

:)
I can't stand the fear on Echoing Fury, it always makes them split up which is more often than not a bad thing, especially when it's something that is annoying to deal with from a distance like a wasp. Unfortunately the weapon itself is too good for me to give-up as it is extremely cost effective thanks to the +0.24 attacks per second that it gives; I cannot get a viable alternative for a weapon.

Anyone else get really annoyed by the fear procs, and any ideas as to what it could be changed to?

You hate it but use it because it is cheap. Make up your mind, either get rid of your EF or quit whining about the fear on hit.

Maybe you haven't noticed but after years of development and the last 14 months of beta testing, EF is still probably the most popular weapon -- because despite its faults it is cheap and powerful. Perhaps someday there will be alternatives, although at the current pace, I wouldn't hold my breath until it happens.
That's the one reason I choose NOT to use it. No matter what I used for my WD, I love destroying packs as a whole. I hate running after individual monsters. On the other hand, we aren't necessarily supposed to be doing that, so it's quite the contradiction we have going on here

:)

This is a Diablo game, I think we're all supposed to destroying whole packs, no? ;)

I see you are not using horrify, so I can tell you really don't like chasing things! Personally I've seen some of the higher end WD's using it but I can only guess why, given that with their DPS they must be melting everything in sight! (Yours is not too shabby either, btw!).
07/03/2013 08:09 AMPosted by Roku761
I actually enjoy the fear procs on my Archon Wizard. It is nice to see monsters run away to their death because that means they aren't tagging me with damage. For the melee classes and classes that require monsters in close proximity, it is really annoying.

Good to see someone appreciating this awesome weapon and understanding how the fear effect can be used as strategic advantage...if it could roll APoC it would be the perfect weapon for a dis/wiz.
EF is terrible. The .25 attacks per second doesn't add nearly as much DPS as everyone likes to think it does. You know why it has that stat? Because mobs run away when you attack them with an EF.

BTW, echo fury became 'cool' and a 'must have' when all the streamers said so. No one uses it because they honestly think its better, its because someone told them to use it.

actually that .25 att/s adds around 60k dps over a weapon with same dps range and speed.

and quit crying if one mob runs away, if you are farming properly you should be engaging packs with 5+ mobs all the time. its simple if one runs away... switch targets.

I never run after mobs, because they always come back. Attack something closer till it does.

EF's are the single best dps 1h weapons in the game. nothing comes close to it.

If you have a 20% fear proc then the EF essentially cuts your DPS by 20%.

if you are playing with a 20% fear proc EF you are an idiot and shouldn't be playing the game.
it really is a !@#$ weapon because of the fear. love playing without it now even though I lose a ton of sheet dps. The fact that I can sit and fight a mob without chasing, makes it worth it
Unlike pretty much everything else in this game, ef actually lowers your edps and also that of your party. Use at your own peril.
07/05/2013 01:06 AMPosted by Leesome
Unlike pretty much everything else in this game, ef actually lowers your edps and also that of your party. Use at your own peril.

Quoted for truth.
The fear may be negated or even used by certain builds and utilized well for specific partys or in solo. But generally, to most partys and solo builds, it's counteractive to your monsterbashing capacity.
A high mobility is mandatory to anyone who want to use it and most builds actually don't have such mobility. That, or powerful ranged is required.