Where the hell do you people get your weapons

Witch Doctor
I see people on this forum with 1500+DPS Skorns and 1200+DPS 'Jumas Knives and I have never seen anything close to that on the AH. Where are you guys getting these weapons?
Do they have rubies in them?
of course
Rubies can give larger than the ammount of listed damage if a weapon has the %damage affix.

For example, a +160min +160 max gem, when used in a weapon WITHOUT %damage will only give that extra listed damage.

If it has say 48% damage it will give something like +240 min - +240 max.

e.g my axe is i think around 1190ish i think base from memory, and with a marq ruby it goes upto 1410. If the %damage was higher (if it was 50%) it would be around a 1600-1700 or so damage 1 hander - totally looney tunes.
manajuma without ruby and with a socket has a max of 1044 dps
Then that is how they are getting dps numbers that high. The damage from the ruby is added into the dps. Take mine for example, right now it says it has 1077.9 dps with my little star ruby in it. Without the ruby it only has 953.6 dps. So an increase of 60 damage is an increase of 124.3 dps. They start with a good weapon and add a good ruby.
My Skorn was somewhere around 1400 dps before I socket it ...now it's at 1582, definitely the rubies giving that DPS.
06/29/2013 09:44 PMPosted by skitzflik
If it has say 48% damage it will give something like +240 min - +240 max.

Nice, didn't know that.

06/29/2013 09:44 PMPosted by skitzflik
1 hander - totally looney tunes.

But a MCK with 50% would get the same benefit as a Scorn with 50%, only the MCK could also have a chicken giving 130-190 more intel than the highest intel on a scorn (plus you would be a Witch Doctor holding a dead chicken). And with the damage coming from said chicken a MCK could do similar dps to a scorn.
Got my Skorn from d2jsp - you won't find the truly high end skorns on the gold auction house because they are worth more than 2 billion (the max bid).
06/29/2013 10:02 PMPosted by Cormann
But a MCK with 50% would get the same benefit as a Scorn with 50%, only the MCK could also have a chicken giving 130-190 more intel than the highest intel on a scorn (plus you would be a Witch Doctor holding a dead chicken). And with the damage coming from said chicken a MCK could do similar dps to a scorn.

1 handers also have a higher attack speed which (I think) is taken into account in the weapon's displayed average damage so a ruby in a MCK would actually be more effective than a ruby in a Skorn. If I'm correct, then skitzflik's weapon would show about 1125 before the ruby was put in because 1410 = 1125 + (160 * 1.37 * 1.3). Of course, if I'm wrong, then skitzflik is right about his weapon having 1190 + (160 * 1.37).

High attack speed will always multiply the effects of bonus average damage no matter where it comes from (ie mojo and jewelery). Of course the tradeoff is faster mana drain and the fact that most WD skills don't take advantage of the speed - locust swarm, soul harvest, etc

Hopefully someone else can confirm or deny this information.
Yup. just took out the marq and its 1125 base. Your math is correct nikt.

Attack speed is a curious thing for WD's.

Some builds can take advantage for it, but, as a general rule, if you are having mana issues either a) go a slower weapon or b) drop down a mp level or so. If you are out of mana, you cant attack, and if you cant attack, you have no sustain. and are deader than disco.

Myself? I have zero mana issues, can stack attack speed and go fine in mp10. This is due to my build and gearing choices (circle of life passive + Sacrifice:Pride) and running a _very_ large ammount of pickup radius (39 usually, or upwards of 60 yards if i swap around a few pieces from my stash - 60 is overkill but i am to lazy to run and get gold)
06/29/2013 10:22 PMPosted by nikt

1 handers also have a higher attack speed which (I think) is taken into account in the weapon's displayed average damage so a ruby in a MCK would actually be more effective than a ruby in a Skorn. If I'm correct, then skitzflik's weapon would show about 1125 before the ruby was put in because 1410 = 1125 + (160 * 1.37 * 1.3). Of course, if I'm wrong, then skitzflik is right about his weapon having 1190 + (160 * 1.37).

High attack speed will always multiply the effects of bonus average damage no matter where it comes from (ie mojo and jewelery). Of course the tradeoff is faster mana drain and the fact that most WD skills don't take advantage of the speed - locust swarm, soul harvest, etc

Hopefully someone else can confirm or deny this information.

I think I explained the mechanism of ruby on another post.

What Ruby does to weapon is essentially the same as avg dmg from rings and amulets, or mojos or sources. HOWEVER, the difference is that it can be amplied twice, one from the ED% roll on the weapon; and the 2nd amplication comes from the weapon attack speed.

So for a marquise ruby, the bonus on weapon dps will be

160 X (1+ED%) X weapon attack speed

For example, a 50ED MCK, what marquise ruby does is

160X1.5 X1.4=336 to weapon dps

Alternatively, if we want to use DPH as the standard, then marquise ruby gives, 160 X1.5=240 to weapon DPH.

The reason why marquise ruby and avg dmg from rings/amulets/offhands benefit greater to 1h weapon or duel wielding is that again it can be amplified by weapon attack speed. And 1 hand weapon usually have higher attack speed than 2 handers.
06/29/2013 10:36 PMPosted by skitzflik
Yup. just took out the marq and its 1125 base. Your math is correct nikt.

:O well I'm glad that my math is right.. but I kinda feel bad that you spent 5m just to check it :[ if you want to add me in game, I'll pay for half if you want
d3up.com would have told you your base damage...

See mine:
http://d3up.com/b/295690/
996.45 DPS base
But my profile shows 1332.5 DPS
nikt : ummmm. i have a stupid ammount of gold.

Like well over 160 BILLION

if your curious, 162,745,128,137 gold at moment and should have another 10.8B or so in next few hours once a sale finishes, and the buyer comes online.

Its all good :)

dont worry :)

Costs me alot more each time a friend askes me to help him with ubers and i need to re-gem chest with marq ame's, then put the topaz's back at the end of the run :)
Very informative thread thanks for this.
Oh....I am stupid. Thank you guys very much! Makes sense now.