[Chronicle] Back to the Gym (Week 7 update)

Monk
Prev 1 2 3 4 8 Next
I stopped after a dislocating my shoulder a few years ago. Went from like 180 to a scrawny, muscle less 150.. I just got back into working out about 2 months ago and gained about 7lbsduring that time. Then I slacked off the past 2 weeks after partying out too hard in vegas.Stopped my bulking diet, ate like a fatty (junk foods and sugars) and lost considerable gains.

It's time to get back on my routine! Monk forum workout competition? I find having some sort of challenge always motivates me to work harder.

And yoga.. my lord! It hits so many hidden muscles I was sore for days after doing it even when I was in shape...
GO SCRAPZ GO.
I expected this thread to fall deep into the bowels of monk forums. My plan is to provide weekly updates for myself mostly to stay on track. Hmmm, how to create a competition. Everybody type is different, everyone's goals vary greatly. I think for us wanting to lose weight weekly weights would be a good way...but how do you compete with weight training...

As far as yoga, YES! I started getting into a lot of Insanity/P90X style routines. It was exhilarating. I started vetting local CrossFit gyms. They are EXPENSIVE. WAIT, could that have been a weird mental reason for me to have stopped. Probably not, but I know I was desperately looking for new ways to push my routines...I guess I was kind of an addict.

@Kaos, @Hunting:
I'm by no means any type of fitness expert. However, the world of fitness is massive. There are hundreds if not thousands of fitness "experts" throwing out their theories and methods. Unlike any industry I saw out there, it's flooded with information. That of course leads to many quacks, trying to make a quick buck.
With that much information available to us, nearly each backed by some kind of expert and study it's hard to figure out what is right.
I have done a ton of reading and research. Ultimately, there is more than 1 way to skin a cat. I have read and give credit to both methodologies. I think both are valid. It comes down to what works for you personally.

@Kaos, thanks for the running and sneaker tips. I wouldn't say that's the only way, but I do see your point about the fastest, easiest, quickest. In fact that is how I'm starting; I will be moving into intense circuit training and wind sprint type of routines once I build my conditioning.
As far as sneakers, 100% agree. I paid a lot of money for my running sneakers and don't regret it. I got them fit professionally at a local running store (they have a treadmill and slow motion camera so you can play back and examine your steps). I even tested out various socks, lol <---sometimes I am idiot. I did find a good pair of running socks though :)

OK...I was feeling a bit lazy, but, NO, i'm going downstairs to workout!!!!!
Any of you are welcome to come work at my farm next spring. I'm 6'4 and weighed almost 240 at the start of season early march. I now weigh 210 and haven't stepped into a gym. I solo lift 200+ lb trees into and out of the back of anything from a little camry to a tractor trailer. No contracts to sign and we'll pay you 100$ + whatever tips you make. Enticing right :) ?
All we require is 7 day weeks 10+ hours a day for a quick 3-4 month of straight picking stuff up and putting it down.
GO SCRAPZ GO.
I expected this thread to fall deep into the bowels of monk forums. My plan is to provide weekly updates for myself mostly to stay on track. Hmmm, how to create a competition. Everybody type is different, everyone's goals vary greatly. I think for us wanting to lose weight weekly weights would be a good way...but how do you compete with weight training...

imo, losing weight has always seemed more like a supportive brotherhood type thing than a biggest loser type deal.

The important part is doing the workout, the results will always come eventually. Being focused solely on the results is how you get discouraged early on.

As for how to start, to each their own. Just know your limits and don't do too much too fast. Getting injured and having to take a break for several weeks is the worst.

edit: ran 3 miles today before softball ... felt dead for almost the entire game.
bottom line is, start slow, and just focus on yourself.
build on your strengths and overcome your weaknesses.
07/10/2013 08:48 PMPosted by Fitz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsKG0_KYyV8

FITZ!!!!
YOU JERK!
I HATE THAT PART, LOLOLOL
gratz kj I wish you the best of luck and just remember pics or it didn't happened

This makes me feel bad that I had McDonalds for lunch
Thanks baggins.

There has to be some time of term to describe the pain i'm in. I sharp, burning ,stinging pain. Ugh...starting back up is a bear.

Yesterday I chocked up with I could only squat with no weights at all. I had to do body weight squats. Today I barely made it up the stairs to the office. All I could think about was 45 and 45 lb plate I used to put on the bar.

I'm not discouraged yet...it's only day 4.

In fact, my entire family is having dinner (that's a lot of people btw) but I excused myself because I got busy working on the car that I didn't do my cardio. I'm off to do my pathetic 15 min of cardio.
Keep that in mind always. I've been working out regularly for 10 years now and I still hit walls and plateaus. It's always a work in progress, day 4 or day 3644.

I'm not discouraged yet...it's only day 4.
long time reading the threads here but not much of a poster,
Very happy to see how this brotherhood /sisterhood of monks have posted on topics that make this community just a bit closer through sharing. I'm motivated to make some changes with my sedentary lifestyle.

my 2 cents worth..
pair your exercise with healthier eating habits. by that I mean portion control. We are not going to die by eating smaller portions. The challenge I have is not of scarcity but of abundance. It's just too easy to eat and to eat a lot. Having spent over the last 10 years in Asia where portions are much smaller, whenever Im back in Canada /US, Im amazed at how big the portions are. Invariably I put on weight.

Smaller portions equals less calories in. Exercise, more calories consumed. win-win.
I wish you success man! I'm working on a goal to improve my health as well. It's a slow process but it's an important one. My suggestion is to find a balance on a lifestyle you can continue to maintain. Of course exercise but try to focus more on how you plan to live going forward than just getting to a certain weight. With an emphasis on doing something sustainable. I think you'll be happier in the long run if you do that.
07/11/2013 09:23 PMPosted by BigE
My suggestion is to find a balance on a lifestyle you can continue to maintain.

this is where I failed...balance.

for four maybe close to 5 years it was very, very intense...when I stopped working out because life issues caused me to slow down, I blew up like a whale!
Reminds me that I have gained a bit of weight too. Haha gl
I pick stuff up and put it down...

Just thought I would come in and say that.
OP, wishing you all the best and I hope you achieve your fitness goals...
You can get a 5 min warm up in, and work 2 muscles in one hr man. <_< You can be pretty fit doing that 3-5 times a week.

I mean everyone likes there own work outs and own speed. Just saaaaaaaying. ^_^
Kamel-chan

Did you post a pic of your gym setup?
Kamel-chan

Did you post a pic of your gym setup?

This was the first official request for a post of the pic...now I will! :D

also, i hate your ugly bracers, they are ugly and so are you!
Who was that other jerk with godly nein/nein/nein amulet?

Post the pic.