Vivendi voting to put Blizzard into debt

General Discussion
Vivendi was trying to sell ActiBlizz last year and now they want cash from them? Really classy.

What a bunch of boneheads. I hate these holding companies. All they do is profit on the back's of others. They should've never bought Blizz and entered a volatile market such as video games. It doesn't take a genius to see that a game WoW like is fluke and subscribers of that size is extremely unpredictable. This isn't cellphones. It's still a fairly niche market in the grand scheme of things.

Now we have cosmetic gear in the WoW cash shop showing how desperate they are because god forbid they can't make a billion dollars anymore.

Hey Vivendi. Stop screwing with us gamers. It's not the end of the world that you can only afford one armani suit instead of two. Don't mess with something you know nothing about. Bunch of business failures.

It's already been seen in discount bins.

Really???

Where are you seeing this?

I still see Diablo III sitting on Wal*Mart shelves for 60 bones.
I don't dare approach GameStop because they don't markdown games for anyone.

http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-III-Pc/dp/B00178630A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374533258&sr=8-1&keywords=diablo+3

It's already been seen in discount bins.

Really???

Where are you seeing this?

I still see Diablo III sitting on Wal*Mart shelves for 60 bones.
I don't dare approach GameStop because they don't markdown games for anyone.

You need to watch for ban waves. It tends to go on sale right after the big ban waves as Blizzard wants all the botters to re-buy the game. Last time I think it was $25 or $35 on Newegg
That is some scary sad truth there. As much as I criticize some of their decisions, I hope this doesn't totally destroy Activision-Blizzard all of a sudden. That would be a lot of jobs and potentially good future games lost to the wind... : /
07/22/2013 05:01 PMPosted by Philoi
That is some scary sad truth there. As much as I criticize some of their decisions, I hope this doesn't totally destroy Activision-Blizzard all of a sudden. That would be a lot of jobs and potentially good future games lost to the wind... : /

Why would they cut jobs?
Off-Shore takes a loan of 3b. Has 2.7b as security = low %. Off-Shore gives loan to US version for the lowest legal %.US version makes a loss, gets reduced tax rates or doesnt even have anything to tax.
The whole company wins.
Why would they cut jobs?
Off-Shore takes a loan of 3b. Has 2.7b as security = low %. Off-Shore gives loan to US version for the lowest legal %.US version makes a loss, gets reduced tax rates or doesnt even have anything to tax.
The whole company wins.

But will this work?

Plus, say it does, it still isn't like "The whole company wins".

The US side does lose some, even if your type of strategy is allowed and works. Wouldn't that result in a loss for someone, if not jobs, something else? It has to come from somewhere to allow Vivendi and governments to take their cuts.

I like your optimism though. I hope you're right.

~Philoi.
This is interesting: Here is the Vivendi page about Blizzard and Activision. It was published in 2013. I don't see a word about D3 on it:

http://www.vivendi.com/activities/games/
They should have special equipment for investors and have them farm for the dividend.
well vivendi is getting their money off the back of avtiblizz one way or another. since no one would scoop up actibli last year, viven changed directions to get funds for their debts. the worst news for blizz is that success will just mean vivendi will come a calling to cash another check next year. if gamers are lucky, someone will step in an buy blizz sometime in the future before vivendi bleeds them dry. but highly doubt that
if gamers are lucky, someone will step in an buy blizz

cuz that worked so well for BioWare?
they're one step from being forced to
develop iphone shovelware.
i recognize this as someone who enjoyed
both ME3 and DA2.
besides, who has the cash to do it, Disney?
07/22/2013 12:27 PMPosted by Rav1n
Maybe we can all chip in a buck after Vivendi sucks ATVI dry and buy it up at a steal then give it over to Brevik....

Have you even tried his latest game ? Brevik is an egomaniacal , self centered idiot who is high on a powertrip cos he thinks he got Marvel by the cojones with a 10 year long license .

Idiocies surrounding DBs latest game - If you think Original Inferno here was bad - try his "endgame" and his "defense system" innovation - HARD POINT BASED DEFENSE , which caps at max 50% DR , with mobs that usually do tens of thousands of damage , and gear which on average , close to max level , can mitigate roughly 500-1000 points of damage for the more tanky characters

Barely more than 5 really functioning and useful skills per character(out of 24-25 skills per character) - this means that even with 21 characters , his game has less skills across its characters than Diablo 3 has

Instead of proper HP scaling ( or they tell us so ) they nerf player damage while near by/in group with other players, hence they decided that their damage numbers will EFFECTIVELY lie and NEVER ADJUST to the damage accordingly - this stance alone makes me think that they consider their playerbase so dumb , that no one will notice this design idiocy

You still think it is DB who made D2 what is is ?
Oh, and the Schaeffer brothers - their Torchlight(er) is beyond pathetic and hollow - tried 1 , tried 2 and all i got was frustration and severe disgust about how such a lame piece of product receives so high praise by the masses .

What i really think it that what made Diablo 2 what it was and still is , is some unsung , never mentioned heroes and all those that circle in the public domain as the ones responsible for D2's success are simply riding the wave on someone else's work
it's official: Activision/Kotick/Kelly (co-chairman) now officially hold a majority stake in Activision-Blizzard.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/activision-blizzard-to-separate-from-vivendi-in-82-billion-deal-6412081