How to EPIC Fail on a Competition - I.H.W.P

Wizard
Prev 1 2 3 4 12 Next
If there's no gear swapping allowed, I'm gonna have to retool my set because it's currently built around my non-LS wand and I swap for RD. But I should be able to work it out.

Yoda keeps bugging me in-game to get involved with setting things up, but honestly I was never really good at organizing events like this. You guys seem to be doing a good job of it, though. Just keep one thing in mind please: the simpler the better. Too many rules and it's going to start to feel like a hassle and not be much fun anymore.
Just keep one thing in mind please: the simpler the better. Too many rules and it's going to start to feel like a hassle and not be much fun anymore.

Totally agree. I think the rules are fairly simple so far. There's so many of us regulars that I think the honor system will work. Let's hope. I'm not too concerned about it tbh. It's all in fun and that's the main point. Bring together the wiz community like the SC/Mempo comp did but with less of a competitive edge to it. Although, being in Melk's next rap makes me want to win pretty bad. I'm done for the night my head is exploding haha.

TTYA Monday!
08/10/2013 09:35 PMPosted by Jaetch
He's also asking why FoS for the legendary runs and not another map where there's higher density.

I'm wondering if Pens meant that to be Fields of Misery...

He does that sometimes. You know... like Sweeping Winds instead of Fists of Thunder and whatnot... ;p

-dolynick
08/10/2013 09:35 PMPosted by Jaetch
Pichapie is concerned about gear swapping. I told him it's based on an honor system. But still, no one will know if you switch some pieces around mid-run. Throw on a pair of GG crafted bracers, switch to Lacuni, swap some rings around, etc.

actually there's not much about gear swapping - just like i said, what's there to snapshot in a wiz?

also about the team management - CM/Ww wiz would be advantageous here so we should really limit just 1 CM in a party. (if it were up to me id ban cm/ww builds here lol)
Sorry X missed this post. EU users can work something out. When we get the full list of participants we'll separate by EU / US and maybe make a couple new captains for EU servers to coincide with times. We want to stick with draft otherwise you guys will have a superteam =)

Yup got your point on the importance of mixing around with fellow wizzies. No problem with that since we are all one big family but main concern I have, like i mentioned, is the difference in timezone. Some of us like myself is in Singapore and it will be tough to pair up with teammates who are based in US/EU.

Another thing to note is the even distrubution of wiz in terms of primary builds. From what I read, we can only use one set of gear for entire challenge so what happen if Jae, pich, Liquid and myself are drawn into the same group? Im sure we can melt stuff running 4 archons but Vota/uber speed run but might benefits such group. I couldn't even imagine a 4 SNS party...perma screen freeze!

Do add me into the list if it's still eligible. Like to show my support to the organizers of this event. Final run before I call it a day. Let the game begins!
I see a lot of concerns raised about the entry fee. I personally don't mind it, in fact if I'm picked on a team I'll pay it myself. I just want the opportunity to play with all the pros.
08/10/2013 10:27 PMPosted by XFactor
Another thing to note is the even distrubution of wiz in terms of primary builds. From what I read, we can only use one set of gear for entire challenge so what happen if Jae, pich, Liquid and myself are drawn into the same group? Im sure we can melt stuff running 4 archons but Vota/uber speed run but might benefits such group. I couldn't even imagine a 4 SNS party...perma screen freeze!

That's the tricky part of gearing. I actually have a 11% IAS LS sword on my ninja wizard, so by tossing in another 9% IAS piece of gear (such as Inna's) and running 10 APoC, I can switch my spec to SNS at any time and also run the standard Hybrid Archon build.

I just tested it out by soloing MP10 ubers with 10 APoC :P Archon is obviously no problem with the build.

Since the people listed as captains will be doing the drafting... there's a strategy to picking players out ;)
08/10/2013 10:27 PMPosted by XFactor

It's not a random draft. The draw is to determine who picks in what order. After that I assume each captain gets to pick one player of his choice each round until the teams are filled. If enough players from your timezone put their names in, it might be possible that you could still draft a complete team from your region.

That's a thought for when the draft comes up though... It might be a good idea to include timezones/regions beside the players so captains can easily put together a compatible schedule team.

-dolynick
08/10/2013 10:32 PMPosted by dolynick
That's a thought for when the draft comes up though... It might be a good idea to include timezones/regions beside the players so captains can easily put together a compatible schedule team.

I agree with that. Makes drafting easier. Eastern, western Europe, east, west coast of the U.S., Asia time zones, etc. List them all if possible. If not, eh, I could always stay up later on weekends. That's if we're recording and not livestreaming.
Ah ok! Thanks for the explainations dol & jae. I thought its somehow a random draw o.0

Couldn't do much detailed reading these days due to the crazy workload. Please pardon me.

I can run SNS or the so call "turbo" build @ 410k unbuffed. Not too shabby i guess :D
it's like the NBA finals - east meets west lol
08/10/2013 10:25 PMPosted by yems
also about the team management - CM/Ww wiz would be advantageous here so we should really limit just 1 CM in a party. (if it were up to me id ban cm/ww builds here lol)

I kinda agree with this. I actually propose to take it one step further and add that only 1 of a given spec is allowed per team. This will prevent every team from going 1 SNS + 3 LL+AD Arcane Mines. It would also open the competition up for more players to get a shot at getting drafted because the captains would be forced to choose based on spec.

So let's say we implement the rule that each team must have 1 SNS, 1 Archon, 1 Sleet Storm, and 1 Arcane Mines spec. When people say they're interested in participating, they also put down which spec they'd be playing. So then we'd have a list of SNS players, another list of Archons, a Sleet Stormer list, and an Arcane Mines list. When we draft, we pick one from each of those until we have a full team. For example, I run SS so I couldn't draft another SS wizard. And Jaetch is Archon so he couldn't draft another Archon. Etc.

I think this would make things a lot more interesting, fun, and varied, and allow a wider variety of players to potentially get drafted. Otherwise all the captains are just going to draft all the GG SNS players and/or people they're already well acquainted with.

Thoughts?
Aw, but I went through so much testing to ensure that I can legitimately run SNS, Archon and Meteor with just one set of gear (haven't tried 2.51 APS with SS) :P

It's worth looking at. I'd modify it a little to say 1x Archon 1x SNS 1x SS 1x any wizard build that's not Archon-SNS-SS.

Also, would you consider a SS build running Arcane Destruction a SS build or an Archon build...? :D
08/10/2013 11:13 PMPosted by Jaetch
It's worth looking at. I'd modify it a little to say 1x Archon 1x SNS 1x SS 1x any wizard build that's not Archon-SNS-SS.

That works, too. Or even only 1 Archon, only 1 SNS, and then 2 free slots but they can't be of the same spec.

08/10/2013 11:13 PMPosted by Jaetch
Also, would you consider a SS build running Arcane Destruction a SS build or an Archon build...? :D

I'd consider it an SS build since AD is only really used for the burst and AP regen when played optimally.
Even then someone would still pick Mines, and the result of the matchups is still team dps wins. On top of that, the VOTA and ubers parts make archon builds a handicap instead of an advantage. Once I saw the listed runs, I had no desire to play archon or meteor Liquefy.
^ But then as Malakai suggested, if each team has limitations on who can run what build, it'll be fair. Sure, DPS will win (along with sufficient EHP), but since this will be a draft system, not everyone's DPS will be the same. Someone might have a glassy huge DPS SNS wizard on the team, but an average Archon. No one's going to get a SS wizard as high up as Malakai, so he has all the room to grab a high-end Archon... if he can. I can grab a lesser DPS SNS wizard, but a high-end Archon and I'll switch to 400K+ DPS SS. Etc. etc. etc.

Lots of ways to go about it if there are build limitations. We're not locked into our specs either, so I can personally switch to SNS if need be and have someone else switch to Meteor instead of SNS. Just an example.
Malakai,

In a way, SNS wizards are already limited because you really can't run more than 2 in a group without risking severe server lag. I can't see any team running 4 high DPS SNS wizards for that reason, 3 is probably even out of the question.

I actually suggested putting some limits and 1 archon required in already. Having spoken to both Pens and Yoda, I think they want to avoid a lot of forced requirements in this little tournament. I think if this goes ok, and more importantly there is lots of interest, participation and players have fun, there may be follow up competitions with twists on the rule sets.

I kind of look at this as trial run #1 to get the wizard community engaged, with the outlook of running repeated events as time goes on. I think it's a good idea. The real question is whether the wizard community has the drive and inclination to give it a go. So far it looks positive. Personally, I might have done things a bit different but what is proposed right now seems reasonable and I'm looking forward to seeing it go forward. Is it going to be perfect? Maybe not, but it might still be fun and it will give forum members something to do as a group.

-dolynick
im so stoked!!
In a way, SNS wizards are already limited because you really can't run more than 2 in a group without risking severe server lag. I can't see any team running 4 high DPS SNS wizards for that reason, 3 is probably even out of the question.

While that's true, the proposition also helps to avoid things like 1 SNS + 3 x LL+AD AMs for Ubers, or 1 SNS + 3 x Archon Destruction for stupid fast elite pack kills for the VotA portion. Etc.

But more importantly, and as I mentioned already, this would give players who probably wouldn't otherwise be drafted a better chance at getting in. Personally I feel that's a lot more community oriented than all the captains just picking all top players, because then it just looks like a big circle jerk, and personally I want no part of that.

Restricting it to 1 SNS and 1 Archon, and then having 2 open slots (can't be the same spec, can't be either SNS nor Archon) seems reasonable and still has some flexibility. Jaetch already touched on a lot of what can be done within the framework of such restrictions. And the way I see it going down is that each team would have at least 2 "top" players in it, and then 1 or 2 other players who might not be as well known within our little community. This could help develop some new and good friendships, help build teamwork skills, and bring more people into the limelight so to speak. There are probably quite a few people who post or lurk around here that would love to play with people like Jaetch, Yoda, Melkor, Boozor, Void, etc. Give them that chance.
and more importantly - we should have fun doing this event , so we should not be force to use the most OP build just so we could be at the advantage that's why we should put a limit or put a handicap or whatsoever to the already proclaimed op build.

i want everybody to think of this just like a bonding of the wiz community event - not to prove who is the best. I want everyone to do this just for fun and like nothing is being bet or is in the line. Honestly the prize pot is not of (most of us) my concern either - i just want to have fun together with my fellow wiz :D