Seeking help learning to stutter step

Demon Hunter
Just don't spam. Be precise, and start slow being as accurate as possible, and then speed up while maintaining accuracy.

If you just understand how it works then you can stutterstep with other attacks and with other classes, too.

You can even do it to great effect with grenades.

Just got the Razer Death Adder and a nice, wide, soft mouse pad tonight. I never had a gaming mouse before and this pad. I didn't think I need it in all those years of PC gaming. The Razer mouse matches my Alienware M17xR4 laptop nicely :-)

I started slow but with 2.91 aps. Doing 50 steps of one shot each on all direction plus the side stepping and getting used to the sequence (muscle memory). I'm surprised I'm getting the hang of it now after 2 weeks. This new mouse and pad should help, but the Razer is a little heavier so I'm adjusting again. I'm set at 4400 dpi @ the moment with 5/10 acceleration on the Razer software, 6/11 (middle/default) on the windows mouse acceleration.

I'm doing the conventional shift button way (though I use "D" button instead). It's like press "D" then L click attack, move mouse then L click to move, press "D" button to halt, move mouse, then L click attack .. one sequence of 2 shots.

It wasn't easy at first, and I still want to practice. But I am enjoying it really well.
Accuracy first then speed second is the best advice. +1 from me as well.

The speed will come naturally and much more quickly than you will realize once you have the proper technique. Accuracy with the mouse click especially. The aim will come along with speed as well.

Play with the GCB members. It helps to play along with like minded players and pick up some key strategies as well for playing ranged against different affixes. Impatience also kills.

Stutter steppin can be applied to tank builds and hybrid ranged tanks and mid ranged DH builds too.

Gratz for wanting to play stutter steppin. Keep the learning process fun ! Add me or any other GCB member for an HC or SC run ...
Accuracy first then speed second is the best advice. +1 from me as well.

The speed will come naturally and much more quickly than you will realize once you have the proper technique. Accuracy with the mouse click especially. The aim will come along with speed as well.

Play with the GCB members. It helps to play along with like minded players and pick up some key strategies as well for playing ranged against different affixes. Impatience also kills.

Stutter steppin can be applied to tank builds and hybrid ranged tanks and mid ranged DH builds too.

Gratz for wanting to play stutter steppin. Keep the learning process fun ! Add me or any other GCB member for an HC or SC run ...

I bought the mouse Perixx MX-2000. I will program the macros tonight
My intend on the right click button
Macro: shift down + delay 0.005 + right click + delay 0.005 + shift up
Move: space bar

I will then practice slowly but with accuracy as you said. I love the stepping play style because I would like to play like the streamer Philosophios.

I am on the EU server, if you are, I can add you. I play MP9 or MP10 on SC. I play in group only with DH. No other classes (DH party!).
08/19/2013 07:40 PMPosted by THIEF2004
I started slow but with 2.91 aps

APS break point for HA - SOT is 2.86 and the next is 3.01 I think.. So you can optimize you DPS alittle more with your next gear upgrade if you like..

08/20/2013 06:27 AMPosted by larage
I am on the EU server, if you are, I can add you. I play MP9 or MP10 on SC. I play in group only with DH. No other classes (DH party!).

Same here but I got started on EU server but right now taking some time off to play golf during the summer...
I bought the mouse Perixx MX-2000. I will program the macros tonight
My intend on the right click button
Macro: shift down + delay 0.005 + right click + delay 0.005 + shift up
Move: space bar

I will then practice slowly but with accuracy as you said. I love the stepping play style because I would like to play like the streamer Philosophios.

oh hai there

that looks familiar >.>

quick advice, practice with slower weapons as you work toward the calamity speeds...
The reason why I say to start slow and then speed up, is because you have learn and figure out the start up and recovery of your attacks based on your own attack speed. And then, you'll notice that certain skills vary when it comes to that as well. Also that's important because you could end up rubberbanding if you start spamming, but if you execute precise and deliberate you can leave a pause in there neutral to drop the rubberband from stepping when it happens(not the lag rubberband, but the one where it seems like your character shaking or something).

Like for example, Hungering Arrow, Bola, and Grenades, all have a different feel when stepping with them to properly aim.

After that, through experience you'll figure out and understand that in some situations you want to actually aim on the monsters and other times you want to aim in the area where the monsters are.

Hungering Arrow is forgiving in that you can be inaccurate to a certain degree and the arrows will seek and hit, still. Bola you can be slightly off and still hit the targets because the attack is wider(or at least it seems like it? can someone confirm. it looks wider in appearance but in reality the hitbox could be the same).

Grenades on the other hand, you actually don't want to aim directly on monsters but just in the area where you want the grenades to explode. Grenades can follow some of the same fundamentals that Scatter Spike Traps do, in that you want to toss the nades where you get the most coverage, so on a single target you want at least 2 out of the 3 to hit, even on a small one.

Evasive Fire outside of Covering Fire, might be one of the most difficult to accurately stutterstep with, as you have to be fully precise at range.

Entangling Shot you can get a lil bit of relief once you nail the first hit, as the monsters will slow up.

And this, is just on some of the primaries, heh.
I actually have been using the razer orb weaver recently and it's way more comfortable for stutter stepping than my old setup. pinky for moving and the thumb alt for stopping, keeping both pressed down and dragging the mouse or keeping movement down and clicking thumb along with the mouse.
I must be doing it REALLY wrong. I've set up my KB for using the tab key to stand and the left mouse for fire and move. I use 1-4 for the skills. I stutter step by alternating tab with let mouse click.

wrong wrong wrong.

Woe is me.
oh hai there

that looks familiar >.>

quick advice, practice with slower weapons as you work toward the calamity speeds...

Hi Phil, nice to pass by ^^ and thx for advice. I was the one asking you about your macro few days ago on stream ^^. Thx for having shared.
I cannot stand slow weapon, so I practice with calamity slowly.

I bought the Perixx mx-2000, and lol, i cannot assign the click in the macro, only keys of the KB.
Thought all evening and found this way.
There is no need of shift when you assign the bola shot skill (or any other primariy attack) on keys 1, 2, 3, 4. It means you just need to move the mouse with the move space bar then press the key

I practice at camp and try to move slowly and hit a target with accuracy. Hope this is right method. I do not plan to buy another gaming mouse.

Phil, it would be good you show what KB and mouse you use, what macros for your skills and how you sequence the presss buttons slowly.

Thx, and continue with the good work on your stream, and supporting DH class.