Coming out of Archon cancels town portal

Wizard
Why????????
I don't know why, but it does annoy me sometimes after a few drinks. I TP too town and the last half second it just gets cancelled and I have to push T again AAARRGGHhhhHhh!!
The really annoying thing is that when a barb drops out of WotB, it doesn't cancel their tp.
Just my hunch, but there are two key differences between Archon and WotB.

WotB is a "shapeshift," where the barbarian transforms over time into a new form. Existing skills are retained and the WotB is merely an extension of the barb's original form.

Archon is a "unit replacement," where the original wizard is swapped with a new unit, the Archon form. Existing skills are replaced and the original wizard is cached until the Archon form wears off.

Thus, when WotB wears off, the barb gradually transforms back to the original form over a span of a few frames, thereby leaving any channeling animation as is (e.g. Town Portal). On the other hand, Archon is swapped out near instantly over a frame or two to the cached original wizard upon expiration, thereby disrupting any ongoing channeling animation.
Twitter: @Jaetch
Yeah, if you ever play back video of the "transformation" in slow, slow motion, you can see that it is a total unit replacement. There are frames of video where there is no "body" there.
Flavor wise this makes sense.

But I think OP is asking why not just make it so that Archon doesnt disrupt town portalling.

EDIT Add-on - We all know that SNS works because frozen storm, diamond skin and exp blast are "free spells"...my question is, how does Blizz decide when a skill is free and when it takes an attack turn? Obviously no one definitively knows why....it's more of an open discussion.
Flavor wise this makes sense.

But I think OP is asking why not just make it so that Archon doesnt disrupt town portalling.

EDIT Add-on - We all know that SNS works because frozen storm, diamond skin and exp blast are "free spells"...my question is, how does Blizz decide when a skill is free and when it takes an attack turn? Obviously no one definitively knows why....it's more of an open discussion.

Interesting question..seeing as I rarely venture outside of the wizard class, I'd like to answer your question with another question..

Our CC skills are FN (takes attack turn), Mirror Image (takes attack turn)...I guess WOF can be construed as CC...sorta..and it takes an attack turn.

Do any classes have CC skills that DON'T take attack turns?
09/01/2013 11:14 PMPosted by Ryoka

bec. they are lazy - or it might be that it's so much time consuming changing that mechanics they'd rather focus on the more important matter , just like on how we like to get our legendaries dyed
Coming out of Archon also cancels use of the Book of Cain - its just the way it is...
-.-; am I the only one who played d2? Archon is a shapeshift. Spells that give access to new powers = shape shifting. See Druid skill tree description: http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Druid#Shape_Shifting

WotB won't cancel anything because its a self buff (like magic weapon or diamond skin).
-.-; am I the only one who played d2? Archon is a shapeshift. Spells that give access to new powers = shape shifting. See Druid skill tree description: http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Druid#Shape_Shifting

WotB won't cancel anything because its a self buff (like magic weapon or diamond skin).

We're not talking about the "type" of skill in relation to others in the game, or how you define a certain type of skill. In that case, both WotB and Archon are self-buffs. We're talking about a design standpoint of how a skill was likely programmed and implemented.
It took me a while before I discovered that you can right-click the countdown icon of an active skill to end the effect immediately. So if you're at risk of Archon running out and spoiling your town portal or identify, just right-click the Archon timer right before you start to portal/identify - problem solved.

We're not talking about the "type" of skill in relation to others in the game, or how you define a certain type of skill. In that case, both WotB and Archon are self-buffs. We're talking about a design standpoint of how a skill was likely programmed and implemented.

You're likely correct; however, referring to a skill as a shapeshift directly implies a "complete unit replacement" as a possible mechanic. Wotb is a simple buff with a persistent visual indicator. We wouldn't refer to storm armor, diamond skin, shadow power, or sweeping wind as shapeshifts (even in terms of implementation), would we? It muddies the concrete differentia.
Melkor
Do any classes have CC skills that DON'T take attack turns?

The only one that comes to mind is the DH's Caltrops Jagged Spikes rune. That doesnt have a casting animation. ie, you can drop it while walking.
09/02/2013 06:17 PMPosted by Ryoka
The only one that comes to mind is the DH's Caltrops Jagged Spikes rune. That doesnt have a casting animation. ie, you can drop it while walking.

Yeah caltops doesn't have an animation. Neither does WD's soul harvest, which has an 80% slow rune. Those are just snares though. Barb's threatening shout has runes that slow (intimidate), slow attack (falter), and fear (terrify) with no anim. Breath of heaven has no anim and has a fear rune. Ice armor and mantra of retribution (indignation) have passive CC. Yeah, FN takes an attack turn but none of that stuff I just mentioned comes close to it paired with CM.

09/01/2013 11:23 PMPosted by Melkor
I guess WOF can be construed as CC...sorta..and it takes an attack turn.

WoF definitely takes an attack turn, I think its anim has a longer duration than other skills. Someone correct if wrong.
If I'm remembering right, horrify and hex also don't take up an attack turn.