Deckard Cain was the last living Horadrim

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 10 Next

As for the first two games though. I know how the credits read but there's more to the story than that. The Schaefer brothers and David Brevik wrote just about nothing for Diablo I. They didn't even know where to begin. All that mattered was that they created a gothic RPG where you enjoyed the grind instead of hating it. They succeeded. The cinematic for the ending was delivered to them by Blizzard's newly founded cinematics department at the end of the development cycle and it almost exclusively set up the story for the second game. They didn't even know how their game would end before receiving that video. Also, Metzen and Sexton (Sexton mostly responsible for quest writing, not the overarching story) were really the only two writers on the project that got much of anything done, with Metzen being the lead on concept and editing. This was continued with him as the lead in Diablo II as the concept and story editor. He has been the guy where Diablo's story is concerned since the beginning (I'm not necessarily saying that's a good thing). If you'd like to find more on the early days of Blizzard North, David Craddock is a writer that knows that story intimately and was, at least, writing a book based on that history. =)

I'm looking forward to David Craddock's book, but where do you get the information about the original Diablo story? I'm really curious how the game was originally created.

I probably should've annotated that to begin with, but I'm glad you ask. It's one of those rather tricky "the devil's in the details" situations. On diablo.incgamers.com he has done a good deal of interviews and chapter previews, etc. for his book "Stay Awhile and Listen" (coming out soonish he said yesterday). In a few of those he coughs up quite a few of the details surrounding the original team and their development cycles. From the information I've gathered from his writings, all of what I posted above is as accurate as can be. I hope that remains the case when his book finally releases, but I can't be held too liable there lol. Anyhow, nice to see someone else finds this all as interesting as I do. Here's a link to the "they didn't know how it ended" tidbit I mentioned earlier.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/blizzard-north-didnt-know-diablo-is-story-ending
08/27/2013 01:52 PMPosted by henzollern
Didn't the Crusader's bio say he was a Zakarum? Need to double check that now...

yes.
After aiding in the battle against the new Prime Evil, i'd assume Tyrael would be able to call in a few recruits. And before you pull the 'but only the nephalem was at the battle', remember that there's also Bastion's Keep, where you were congratulated by every other person you saw.

Plus, it's easy seeing these new Horadrim guys aren't exactly masters at combat. They barely last 7 seconds.

I'm looking forward to David Craddock's book, but where do you get the information about the original Diablo story? I'm really curious how the game was originally created.

I probably should've annotated that to begin with, but I'm glad you ask. It's one of those rather tricky "the devil's in the details" situations. On diablo.incgamers.com he has done a good deal of interviews and chapter previews, etc. for his book "Stay Awhile and Listen" (coming out soonish he said yesterday). In a few of those he coughs up quite a few of the details surrounding the original team and their development cycles. From the information I've gathered from his writings, all of what I posted above is as accurate as can be. I hope that remains the case when his book finally releases, but I can't be held too liable there lol. Anyhow, nice to see someone else finds this all as interesting as I do. Here's a link to the "they didn't know how it ended" tidbit I mentioned earlier.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/blizzard-north-didnt-know-diablo-is-story-ending

Thanks for that source. I knew that the story in Diablo 1 was quickly thrown together, but I didn't know the details.

Its interesting that much of the story was made to fit the cinematics in a way, and yet how amazing the story actually turned out as compared to D3 where the entire story was planned from the beginning.

It seems that laissez-faire works pretty well in storytelling, eh? :)
I want to the game to give me all the lore i need I dont want to buy books to get all the lore thats retarded.

Thanks for that source. I knew that the story in Diablo 1 was quickly thrown together, but I didn't know the details.

Its interesting that much of the story was made to fit the cinematics in a way, and yet how amazing the story actually turned out as compared to D3 where the entire story was planned from the beginning.

It seems that laissez-faire works pretty well in storytelling, eh? :)

No problem. The story in Diablo 1 was definitely pretty fun to take part in. It wasn't very deep, it wasn't even very "good", but it had a special kind of darkness about it that seemed better implemented in the games of yesteryear.

I didn't horribly mind the story they told in Diablo 3 overall. I actually really enjoyed the interaction with the main and side characters quite a bit. The lore really was a very fun part of the game, especially given how optional nearly all of it was. I think that is an interesting thing to note too, because the character you played as in Diablo and D2 really didn't matter personally. He/she was just there to facilitate the dialog and open tomes with supplementary story tidbits.

I really think the big blunder for D3 would have to be the overarching story, but more specifically its presentation. Most of what happened I was okay with, but some things just didn't work too well in the end. Deckard Cain dying is the one everybody jumps on, and while I didn't mind him dying, he should've gotten a bit more glorious an end. That or a much more vile, darker end.

Then there was the constant over narration. If they had just let certain things ride and be simple in their presentation, the game would be much less comical as you're downing Azmodan's war machines or finding Diablo's hell rifts. Sometimes less really is more in the end.

In D3 they did a good job of that side interaction as well as with the things your character would say throughout the game. As far as those things go it was great. I feel that they just really struggled in finding a way to make this series go on where story was concerned and that their struggle just ended up causing the whole thing to be pretty well bungled up when all was said and done...and corny. =P
Am I the only one that watched the trailer? He says "you have done well horadrim" making this thread moot.
Just an FYI, keep in mind that the Horadrim were not a nation or civilization: They were an order of mages/warriors from all over Sanctuary. Cain was the last member of the PRE-EXISTING Horadrim Order. An Order does not go away unless it is completely and officially disbanded. Therefore, there cannot technically be the last of anything unless Cain was quite literally the only Horadrim left following the dissolution of the Horadrim Order (Which did not happen, the Order in and of itself still existed/exists, it was just down to one member)
09/01/2013 08:08 PMPosted by DoomRandom
An Order does not go away unless it is completely and officially disbanded.
not true because you can actually say that the Order disbanded De Facto when Cain died. But that doesn't mean that Tyrael can not refound the order when he pleases, which happened if we are to interpret the video
"But hey who cares about the story, let's just retcon a few more things like we did with Aidan and his brother, oh and bring old names like we did with Skeleton King and The Butcher, let's do that to our new expansion and enforce even more nostalgia. That totally worked with D3, let's do this again."
Also, inb4 Crusader is in fact a Horadrim.
If you're curious about recent Diablo lore and are legitimately interested in the answers to the questions you seek, I would highly recommend you check out some of our recent literary offerings, especially [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4876853"]The Order[/url], [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/10399249"]Sword of Justice[/url], and the upcoming [url="https://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/10580514/diablo-iii-book-of-tyrael-pre-orders-now-available-8-15-2013"]Diablo III: Book of Tyrael[/url]. Many of your questions will be answered there, though there is certainly more to come. ;)

nice up-sale.. lets endorse more blizzard products in our loaded answer that still .. doesn't answer.
09/01/2013 08:08 PMPosted by DoomRandom
Just an FYI, keep in mind that the Horadrim were not a nation or civilization: They were an order of mages/warriors from all over Sanctuary. Cain was the last member of the PRE-EXISTING Horadrim Order. An Order does not go away unless it is completely and officially disbanded. Therefore, there cannot technically be the last of anything unless Cain was quite literally the only Horadrim left following the dissolution of the Horadrim Order (Which did not happen, the Order in and of itself still existed/exists, it was just down to one member)
You're very close. When Cain died, the Horadric Order did indeed die with his passing, but there's more!

In the continuing story revealed in Storm of Light and the events of Reaper of Souls, we find out that after the events of Diablo III, Tyrael himself revived the Order in order to help him safeguard Sanctuary and deal with the Black Soulstone.
09/11/2013 01:41 PMPosted by Vaeflare
You're very close! when Cain died, the Horadric Order did indeed die with his passing, but there's more!

In the continuing story revealed in [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/10782707/diablo-iii-storm-of-light-coming-in-2014-9-11-2013"]Storm of Light[/url] and the events of Reaper of Souls, we find out that after the events of Diablo III, Tyrael himself revived the Order in order to help him safeguard Sanctuary and deal with the Black Soulstone.

Because why take the stone to the Hellforge and destroy it when you can try to hide it away like you've tried and failed to do with so many things in the past?

You're very close! when Cain died, the Horadric Order did indeed die with his passing, but there's more!

In the continuing story revealed in [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/10782707/diablo-iii-storm-of-light-coming-in-2014-9-11-2013"]Storm of Light[/url] and the events of Reaper of Souls, we find out that after the events of Diablo III, Tyrael himself revived the Order in order to help him safeguard Sanctuary and deal with the Black Soulstone.

Because why take the stone to the Hellforge and destroy it when you can try to hide it away like you've tried and failed to do with so many things in the past?

Because that already worked so well at killing Diablo and preventing him from returning to physical form.
So the Black Soulstone was stolen from Heaven? And Tyrael lost it almost instantly. Oh Tyrael, Imperius will devastate you this time :D

Because that already worked so well at killing Diablo and preventing him from returning to physical form.

That's because the lore was retconned to have the Black Soulstone suck up their souls when the original soulstones were destroyed. The Anvil of Annihilation works, and without any other plot device preventing the Evils from being banished to the nether, it would continue to work. This was actually explained in the new D3 lore in-game.

http://imgur.com/IpVOakc

If there's anything to be learned, it's that hiding things in Sanctuary doesn't work. Hide Diablo's Soulstone: corrupt Lazarus and Leoric and destroy Tristram, allowing Diablo to effectively release himself. Hide Mephisto's soulstone: Allow Mephisto to corrupt the holy Zakarum faith and capital from within. Hide Baal's soulstone within Tal Rasha and his tomb: Allow Baal to corrupt Tal Rasha and actually grow in power by taking over the world's foremost powerful mage. Hide Zoltun Kulle and his stuff: Allow Adria to steal the Black Soulstone and use it for evil.
I dont understand how the angels got their titles. Tyrael was the Angel of Justice but who gave it to him in the first place? Then at the end of D3, he named himself Angel of Wisdom... Do they just call themselves whatever they like and change whenever they like? That's just silly to me.
All i can say is, there better be a Horadric Cube somewhere in reaper of souls.