Sick of unfair drafts -Legendary Cards

Arena Discussion
Blizz either needs to take legendary cards out of the draft, or make it so everyone gets them. I've yet to get a legendary during a draft. Which is fine with me, but I'm sick of losing an otherwise guaranteed win by my opponent pulling out a legendary.

My last arena (just one of several examples) I was 7-1 doing well. My match was against a pally. I got him down to 3 health, while I'm at 14. We both have minions on the board. My next play I planned on using headcrack and calling it a win. Its his turn, pulls out Alexstraza. Now i'm at 14hp, he's at 15 with 3-4 minions on the board and an 8/8. He clears my minions out of the way and takes the win...bs

Next match I'm now 7-2. I'm playing against a warrior, I've got solid board control, he drops Sylvannas. OK...fine, I clear my board and leave him getting a 3/2 minion for it. Next hand, I recover retake board control, and what comes next? He drops Ysera, Awesome! Not just 1 legendary but 2? How am I supposed to stop this 1 hand after the other when I myself have no legendary and 1 meh epic.

Very upsetting taking 2 losses in a row on what would have been an easy win. It really kind of goes against what the arena is meant to be...to me at least.
My last arena (just one of several examples) I was 7-1 doing well. My match was against a pally. I got him down to 3 health, while I'm at 14. We both have minions on the board. My next play I planned on using headcrack and calling it a win. Its his turn, pulls out Alexstraza. Now i'm at 14hp, he's at 15 with 3-4 minions on the board and an 8/8. He clears my minions out of the way and takes the win...bs

If he played holy light or guardian of kings, you would still lose, no need to blame a legendary.
If you ever get 2 legendarys in a draft will you instantly retire because its unfair and whine in the forums about it?
No, you will be happy to get 2 legendarys and play it.
The thing about randomness is, that it affects everyone.
I'm not blaming the other players all, I wouldn't expect anyone to turn down a legendary or retire because they had one.

The only point I'm really trying to make is that the rarity of cards should be equal across the board in arena.

It's really not the loss that bothers me, its the simple fact that in arena where card drafts and player skill are the key to doing well, There shouldn't be that much imbalance in one draft vs another.

Maybe you guys are right, and I'm just a sore loser. But I just feel the legendary cards for some but not all is unfair in the arena, plain and simple.
I've had bad luck facing opponents with Legendaries as well. It reminds me a bit of when I used to play Magic and a large percentage of my losses were due to my opponents drafting/playing bombs, when it's entirely luck of the draft who gets them. There aren't a lot of cards in Hearthstone that can completely turn the game around for you if you are losing, but cards like Tirion Fordring, Ysera, Onyxia and Ragnaros are all pretty ridiculous when you're forced to square off against them in Arena and I've lost against all of those before.

Personally I just wish the number of cards at each rarity was the same across all players in Arena, there's no reason I should get 0 legendaries and be forced to play against a deck with both Caine Bloodhoof and Onyxia.
So, the other day some paladin dropped Tirion Fordringer, which has to be one of the most ridiculous cards in the game. Worse luck, I didn't have a silence effect in hand. In fact, I didn't have a chance to pick up a silence card in the draft at all! So unlucky!

Anyway, I had board control and a strong deck, so I smashed right through Tirion, dropped the Slime I'd been saving all game to kill the Ashbringer. and went on to win the game. It was awesome!
11/14/2013 12:02 PMPosted by Riv
If he played holy light or guardian of kings, you would still lose, no need to blame a legendary.

You are right here sir. I probably would have and that I'd be fine with. He was a good player no question, which is why I didn't come on here and QQ about my first loss before these 2 games, I lost to a better player and I'm not blaming anything on that loss other than his skill or my lack of.
11/14/2013 12:44 PMPosted by Psychotronic
Anyway, I had board control and a strong deck, so I smashed right through Tirion, dropped the Slime I'd been saving all game to kill the Ashbringer. and went on to win the game. It was awesome!

Well played, My point isn't that legendary cards are unstoppable or OP. Just the fact that in the arena you either get lucky and get a few, or you don't and it's not balanced.
But that's the randomness in the Arena.
Sometimes you are lucky sometimes you are not, but as probability goes, most of the time you will have a decent deck you can play with.
In my opinion that's the attraction of the Arena. You never know beforehand how your deck will be.
11/14/2013 12:49 PMPosted by Fixyourface
Well played, My point isn't that legendary cards are unstoppable or OP. Just the fact that in the arena you either get lucky and get a few, or you don't and it's not balanced.

If the cards aren't OP, then how do they unbalance the game?
Legendary cards are stronger than most other mana equivalent cards, which they should be they're a legendary. I honestly wouldn't care if I get offered a crappy legendary while my opponent is offered the best, just as long as the card rarity is equal, that's what I find unbalanced.

Randomness in making your deck is what makes the arena fun and interesting. There's been many times I've drafted a deck without being offered removal spells or silences, and the opposite where I get more than I'll ever need. That's not the point I'm trying to make at all.
I think if legendaries showed up in every arena deck, their mystique would wear off pretty quickly. It would no longer be exciting to play them or play against them. And since they are such swingy cards, they would unbalance the environment far worse if everyone had them. Every single game would be about getting lucky enough to draw and cast your legendary first.

I haven't been keeping statistics, but I'm not encountering legendaries all that often. Once or twice per run, if that. The games where I lose an otherwise favorable game to a legendary are memorable, I'll grant you that, but that doesn't happen nearly often enough for me to say it unbalances the environment.
I agree with you there Psychotronic, Perhaps I'm still sour about the losses.
I disagree OP, I like the randomness. As many have said, sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. It's part of the fun. It would be boring if they homogenized it so that everyone or no one got legendary drafts or a set number of epic drafts etc.
Better play more silences in your decks!
Also, no one going above 7 wins should complain about losing.

Fun fact: I've had a number of drafts that had legendaries and some with 2 but interestingly none of those made it above 7. My 7+ arenas are always just solid decks with maybe 1-2 good epics.
I just had 2 legendaries and a (not very good, but still) epic in my last deck, and couldn't get the 9th win. Solid non-legendary decks are solid.
Oh, no question about it that a deck doesn't need a legendary to be good, or that having one (or two) make your deck amazing, it comes down to skill in both the draft itself, and while playing.

Although pulling out a ragnaros or deathwing, in the right situation can take a game from being a loss to solid come back.
Tirion will cause me issues in most all of my arena games. There was one game where I had 1 mind vision card and got his Tirion of all cards. I then mind controlled 'his' Tirion and had an ashbringer out while Tirion was out. That was a memorable game. Otherwise, if things are even and a paldin pulls out Tirion, unless it's close to the end of the game and you can easily kill him, it's going to be difficult to pull ahead (with no silence or sheep/hex etc).

Honestly, Legendarys are great but half of them are late game and they can easily be hexed, silenced, sheeped etc. I find the best legendarys to be early game cards like Cairne or maybe Hogger. Late game standoffs do happen but getting ahead early usually makes a win easier in my experience.

It actually seems like the epics are where it's at. If you can be lucky enough to get 4 avenging wraths, you're going to win games. Like I've said in previous posts, a guy had 3 avenging wraths and 3 consecrates. Without damage to minions from those 'aoe' spells, there was roughly 15 damage spilling over to me. Needless to say, nothing survived on the board either. This made it fairly easy for him to take out several creatures with a few cards and throw his big guys down while I was left with only the card I drew to play from that point on. Doomhammer is a great epic card that can really only be taken out by 2 cards in the whole set (well harrison jones but chances are you won't get one). Gorehowl is an amazing card that can be upgraded to smack someone for 14 damage in 2 turns 'or' clear board. It seems like the legendarys are 'mostly' high cost cards that do well when you're 'mostly' in charge (except Cairne, Hogger or Sylvanas). Ragnaros I think is slightly better than Ysera due to the fact you can get it out earler and still cast a 2 mana card on the same turn.

But, honestly, the legendary luck with arena is not that bad imo. It's depressing when you get none and someone gets 2 (even extraordinarily 3) but those situations are very rare and it's really just something everyone waits to use their card destroyers on anyways. What bothers me more are the epics that can more commonly (yet still somewhat rarely) be stacked that really do a ton of board control and damage.

-Nish
Also i have been against a few decks with legendaries in them while I only have free, common, rare and one epic??? Wish they would make the play mode have a better matching system. I am not that bad but i need to use anywhere from 2,4 cards just to get rid of a legendary and then i end up losing board control. Not ranting about not getting legendaries but ranting more about getting put against legendaries (8/8 charge + windfury aint fun)