Protoss Discussion

Nov 23, 2015 PvZ Countering fast expanding zerg I'm Lazorcat, a Gold 1v1 Protoss main. In LotV, I've had immense problems against Zerg who take 2-4 bases before their spawning pool. My go to opener is: Pylon -> Gateway -> Assimilator -> Nexus -> Cybernetics -> Assimilator I then transition into stargate, robotics, or more gateways depending on what I scout. If I scout a Zerg with 2+ bases before I take my nexus I attack with 7 stalkers and a mothership core around 5 minutes and forgo my 3rd nexus I take around 4 min. However, by then, even if the zerg has 3 expansions, they can usually defend this attack with their queens and a pool of zerglings. I just played a match against a zerg who took 4 expansions before their pool and still defended against my attack. I was eventually able to mass a force that could overwhelm his, but he had 7 bases by 7 minutes and I wasn't able to destroy his expansions fast enough to stop the insane amount of production and income he was getting. This might seem silly to be unable to stop, but after losing to ridiculously fast macro several times and watching the replay each time I still can't figure out a solid counter to this strategy. Do I need to scout it early and one base all-in him with zealots and a few stalkers? When is the most optimal time to attack anybody who expands super fast? When I one gate expand I don't see any time to attack. Here is the replay for the aforementioned game, I would love it if someone could take a look at it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/of7imr0f73v61k9/Zerg4xHatch.SC2Replay?dl=0 I know my playing was pretty sloppy, but I'm trying to figure out what major game decisions could have led to my victory.Lazorcat1 Nov 23, 2015
Nov 23, 2015 Lament for the Choir Mind *spoilers* What a horrible tragedy that Rohana, final lynchpin and guardian of the great Choir Mind, was made to mutilate herself. I dislike how the story forces us to slowly deconstruction all that we loved... almost like it was a good thing... that immortality and light and unity are less than darkness and isolation.... implying that tis better to NOT be connect to each other or to the beautiful past, forever dooming ourselves to repeat the same mistakes time and again...and that somehow mortality is better than immortality. And NOW the wanton destruction of the Psionic Matrix??? No more High Templar, no more warping... everything that made the Protoss awesome is being systematically erased. The loss of the glorious Khala is a grievous loss to the Universe... the Protoss are diminished and the world more ugly. :(Telperion5 Nov 23, 2015
Nov 22, 2015 Adepts > zealots? When are you supposed to make zealots instead of adepts? Why would you? Adepts do more dmg, tank more with shields so they can recover better, and have a nifty skill. Charge... IS it worth it? In what scenario should I go zealots over adepts? I just don't see the point... Against zergligns? Why? Adepts do more dmg vs light. AGainst marines? Same...Taraknis9 Nov 22, 2015
Nov 21, 2015 How it this possible? How?! I want to know how some guys got brutal achievents for LotV campaign... That last mission is just plain BS at the end! I always die at 98.5% no matter what I do... I wasted all my mothership energy for vortex or whatever it's called and placed it around the keystone, but in vain... Too much zealots in the end. I walled the artifact with gateways but they didn't last long. How just how are you supposed to beat this All In 2.0?!?!?!!? I had mass destroyer voids and a mothership and I could deal with the zerg just fine but then the mass zealots come in and kill my objective. There's too may carriers at the end so my voids are unable to survive and kill the zealots. What strategy did you use? Perhaps I should add HTs to help defend vs zealots. And what about dark archon's mind control? Do mind controlled units take supply? Never had the opportunity to test that... I'm confident that this mission should be patched, not even All In in WoL was that hard - there at least you had siege units (tanks), ghosts to snipe kerri and banshees to snipe the worms... This sh*t is impossible to beat. At least if the mothership had cloak to hide the artifact it would've been beateable but that's not the case. Or perhaps after playing HotS (where brutal = casual) has dulled my edge?PowerUser9 Nov 21, 2015
Nov 21, 2015 LotV Master Archives No Additional Solarite I'm sorry for posting this here, not sure where to, because the board for LotV campaign has not been setup yet. Anyway, I was going into my master archives to replay some missions to earn achievements when I noticed that the Solarite count on Salvation was only 100. I went to recheck the previous missions then I saw that no Solarite were stored in the master archives. It's as if I did not do any of the bonus objectives in the main story even if I did (even got the Solar Powered: 300 achievement) Anyone else have the same problem? or know a fix to the problem?ExecutorKerb3 Nov 21, 2015
Nov 20, 2015 I need some Toss help, guys Hey fellas, and them girls I'm by no means a pro of any sort in this game. I can beat hardest AI and i'm a silver league but my casual play leaves a lot to be desired. That being said.. With LOTV I switched to Toss from Terran. With Terran I was always high silver, close to moving into Gold but now with Toss it's just loss after loss. I've tried going for blink stalker off of 2 bases I've tried Oracle opening for harass into Void Rays and chargelots I've tried stalker-immortal off of two bases Also, scouting as Toss is abysmal, I'm forced into a the robo facility for an observer while the other races have scan and overseers without ever sacrificing build time on their tech chosen tech path. And if I don't scout it, I can't seem to counter my opponent. It's a loose-loose lol. My problem is simple, my armies gets rekt when I trade at the 6-8 minute mark. A turret/spore crawler shuts down my oragle harass and any thought of Dark Templar pkay and I can't seem to trade effectively vs. Zerg and Terran. With the recent nerfs to Colloseus It doesn't seem terribly viable anymore. I've tried Archons-voidrays-chargelots vs mass bioball and it wrecked me. And early reapers annoy me to no end. I dont't wanna cannon rush to get ahead, it's counter productive at my level.. Maybe Adepts is the way to go? My style is aggressive by nature, and I don't like being defensive for 15 minutes. I love to put the pressure on my opponents with harass stuff... Question is simple.. HOw do you guys make Toss work? I really need some basic solid advice here as a foundation. Any help is appreciated as long as it's constructive. <3GrandChamp4 Nov 20, 2015
Nov 20, 2015 Protoss vs Protoss So my experience with PvP is that who ever gets of the successful worker harass early game wins the game at that point. All I do is scout and as soon as I see that they built a nexus rather then 2 zealots and a adept I just send what I made over and while I lose the zealots and adept the worker destruction is something I notice so far no one has been able to come back from. Is this purely my own experience or are other Brotoss players seeing the same?Deanington6 Nov 20, 2015
Nov 20, 2015 Counter to Ravagers/Roaches I am having a hard time against the AOE of Ravagers and the combinations of Roaches even if I scout it. Appreciate any thoughts.Baggataway3 Nov 20, 2015
Nov 20, 2015 recolor nerazim please I don't get the dark Templar feel when I'm playing co-op as the dark Templar I mean they are missing there immortal unit and there buildings aren't the right color I love the game btwCJMtilla0 Nov 20, 2015
Nov 20, 2015 Solarite 300 How do I earn the Solar Powered:300 achievement? I have completed all Bonus Objectives and have the achievements to prove that but it shows that I haven't acquired 300 Solarite. How do I check where I missed acquiring Solarite from?Head8 Nov 20, 2015
Nov 20, 2015 DT failure. Need some suggestion. I like to use DT rush whenever I play protoss in 1v1. However, it always got countered by detector unit and i am doomed because lack of resources to build more army especially against T. Any suggestion?Newbie6 Nov 20, 2015
Nov 20, 2015 LOTV Protoss Timings Hi Is there anyone who could give me the timings benchmarks etc. for PvALL? If possible I would like to see 1gate expand vs Z and T naural timings 3rd-4th and maybe 5th base timings Early, Mid, and Late game marks when an immortal sentry should hit vs Z when to expect stim timings, liberator or wm drops vs T the best way to expand in PvP after a Stargate opener TYSTRAFERUN4 Nov 20, 2015
Nov 20, 2015 Cheesing in LOTV is it still possible? So I'm trying cheeses in LOTV, not sure if it's still effective like it was in previous expacs. At the moment I seem to be 50% with it, while , the stakes when cheesing seem to be way more forgiving than before.Venom1 Nov 20, 2015
Nov 20, 2015 FFE 2 base disruptor first vs Zerg I kinda made this up. (or at least thought about it on my own) vs a greedy Zerg it works very well. Just block your main ramp and FFE like normal using your scout probe to pylon block and cannon pressure early game to make the Zerg pull Drones and spend on Zerglings. Expand into your natural behind this, getting a Zealot and MSC to stop any Zergling run-bys and for map control. Play defense and focus on getting robo tech after your first gateway. While waiting for your first disruptor add on more gateways up to 6 or 7. Then push out with adept, Zealot, stalker, disruptor. Don't get blink but adding on charge for extra damage really helps. What do you guys think?royalblood0 Nov 20, 2015
Nov 20, 2015 Spare of Adun 240 points down to a 100 points Hi, I have finished all missions on legacy of the void on NORMAL difficulty. I started again on BRUTAL difficulty and I'm at the last mission, SALVATION. For all my missions on brutal difficultyI had all 240 points for the spare of adun and now at my last missions SALVATION it gives me 100 points and sometimes switches for 85 points. I played a long time to get all the 240 points and now on my last mission on BRUTAL it's gone. I only have a 100 points for the spare of adun. Can you please help me get my 240 points back. I am also close of having all my acheivments and I do not want to start all over again. thank youFreakleb1 Nov 20, 2015
Nov 19, 2015 Shield Battery? For those who don't know what it is: The Shield Battery is a building that has mana that is dispelled to any friendly protoss unit in the form of shield points. So essentially it replenishes shields for units that have them depleted. This seems most useful during micro-intensive defensive plays. Let's say that you're playing protoss and you're being attacked. You're limited on units, but you have a shield battery near by. You can micro your damaged units away towards the shield battery to replenish its shields and then send it back into battle. I just thought it may be a cool idea. It is true that shields already regenerate VERY quickly out of combat, but this is more for during or between crunch times of engagements. THIS IS JUST AN IDEA, so please don't talk like you know everything about SC2. The only way we can TRULY know if it's OP or not is through actual testing. So PLEASE don't be immature and call me or another person idiotic or dumb. Just give constructive criticism.Phocus26 Nov 19, 2015
Nov 19, 2015 Aiur zealot vs centurion Which one is better? And... Phoenix vs Corsair Anhililator vs Inmortal Stalker vs Adept vs Dragoon Dark templar vs blood hunter vs avengerOswaldo5 Nov 19, 2015
Nov 19, 2015 Made a vid showing reason why Protoss is OP https://youtu.be/DhRI9VA0uls Cuz of the damn probes!!LazyFox1 Nov 19, 2015
Nov 19, 2015 not happy with 'casual' campaign mode it dosent make me want to play it further like the other two campaigns. - the protos are too weak against the objectives (in casual mode) - its too time based too fast (in casual mode) - there is no build up like the past two campaigns, iam only speaking in casual mode i like playing Sc for the story progression- but the fact that they seem impossible to finish in 'casual' iam not really interested continuing to play . many may not agree with this -and that's ok- i like playing sc- for the story progression factor- but this one just makes it impossible to enjoy. -in 'casual' modeTicon6 Nov 19, 2015
Nov 19, 2015 Proxy gateways seem more effective in LOTV Proxy gateways seem more effective than before. anyone else have the same results?Venom6 Nov 19, 2015
Nov 19, 2015 Expanding as fast as the pros no matter how hard i try to imitate a pro-gamer's build i cannot get enough minerals to get a nexus down at 3:35, for me it will be around 3:45-3:50. i have executed the build perfectly but i am left with less minerals, how do these progamers get the minerals to expand at such an early timing? 9pylon 13gate 14gas 16pylon 18core 21nexus the opening is simple yet i cannot get my nexus down as early. any suggestions/tips/advice? thank youNaMjA9 Nov 19, 2015
Nov 18, 2015 Ok, so what is wrong with Protoss? I have read many threads all saying the same thing. Protoss is broken, the mechanics are bad. On and on. So I was wondering what is wrong with Portoss? I am not looking to find out how to fix the race. Because I kind of like them, but please why do people say they are unfixable? I'm sure I will get full essays on this subject, but that is what I want. Teach me why protoss is bad for the starcraft universe.Keane21 Nov 18, 2015
Nov 18, 2015 Warp-in time? So I'm new to LotV multiplayer, and I know about the change to warp-in time. The patch notes say that pylons "in range" of a nexus will give you a shorter warp-in time. But what is "in range?" Does the pylon have to be touching the nexus? Is there a certain radius around the nexus that I should be putting my pylons in? I feel like this should be communicated somehow in-game.willpower1 Nov 18, 2015
Nov 18, 2015 Error with showing LoTV completion Hello, I recently finished the LoTV campaign, and it says complete in-game, but when I look on my profile on battle.net by clicking my account, it doesn't even have a spot showing wether it is complete or not. Plz fix, and tell me if it shows up 4 u.Destor0 Nov 18, 2015
Nov 18, 2015 Tank cannot be dropped A sieged tank in a medivec cannot be dropped on any ramp from a medivec.eimaXe1 Nov 18, 2015
Nov 18, 2015 Just a question on the nydus worm Hello fellow brotoss. I have a strange question for you all. Is it possible to simply place a force field on the exit of a nydus worm to prevent the zerg forces from exiting? I just thought about it but I have not been able to try it out.Keane5 Nov 18, 2015
Nov 18, 2015 LotV Campaign Cloaked Warrior Development Of all the campaign units I feel the cloaked warrior, AKA dark templar tier, was the least developed. It was sloppy. The other two choices were just ripped off of the Zer'atai model. What happened to the Lenassa dark templar variation? Shouldn't the avengers and blood hunters be using psi-blades instead of scythes? The other tiers had very good development and had significant differences from each other. I'd like to know what happened with this tier and if there's a plan to fix it or at least explain what they were thinking during development.Koetetsu9 Nov 18, 2015
Nov 17, 2015 Disruptor vs Psionic Storm Is there any reason to tech Psionic Storm now that toss has Disruptors? I've had many a good time slaughtering bio with psi storm, but it seems those times are over now :(Gantrithor4 Nov 17, 2015
Nov 17, 2015 Overwelming odd's Seriously! Why is it that sense wings of liberty blizzard continually insults our intelligence by creating missions that are so unbalanced that it makes me wonder was it truly worth the money to buy any of their products... I'm use to playing vs. the AI. in custom games but the campaigns always have one map that is designed to give over whelming odd to the AI which is just plain wrong. This does not make the game challenging it just makes it boringly impossibleJohnDraken7 Nov 17, 2015
Nov 17, 2015 Protoss quotes I wanted to find the meaning to these quotes, as I love the protoss a lot. I googled a lot with no luck. So I hope the community can help me. Artanis - Na Ja'kar mena - Por zalah Archon - Mak tor'idan Carrier - Uhn anak paru - Zhara ku'nuul - Boh aradahn! Dark Templar - Zhakul inok - Nas beru uhn'adarr? - Kha'tuun! - O lakhur de zhakan! Disruptor - Darai de khassar High Templar - Khassar de Templari! - Uhn ore'ki atum - Rautha sak ash - Saraht tuun! Immortal - Uhn dara ma'nakai - O sharas shi'el - Ik sha'bi - Khala dora - Naku zail Mothership - Ki nala atum - Rono haskiik - Endi beruki - Na vazeal - Araziel khador Phoenix - Zira'vek kryor! - Anan pokahl! - Sha'zu du templari! - Na ferash - Ruwak khador Stalker - Veraku - Doom'ha du nala! Void Ray - Paradahk ural - Zak naku afal - Ander'kuhl hurak - Khas arashar - Ik kuda anai - Paradahk aganizha Oracle - En aru'din Raszagal - Na zuktai Tempest - Na urmahk Auir - Aradal zu mah Zealot - Orin shis'nal! - Na Adan Atum! - Ul'as saddari - Aru nal'adan!Kayne1 Nov 17, 2015
Nov 17, 2015 New to the game not sure how to use pylons I've mostly spent my time beating the campaign and the few multiplayer games have mostly been with terran cause the fact that I could wall off with an actual wall made me feel safe :P I really like the Protoss theme and the fact they got the strongest units in the game but I find it really hard to play Protoss compared to the other two races. I'm struggling with my pylons! At some point in the game I no longer no where to pylons. Zerg I can just spawn my overlords on top of my mineral line and terran I can just put the extra depots into a nice corner of my base one beside the other but pylons are different they get in the way of pathing unlike the depots or overlords where am I suppose to be placing my pylons? I know the pylon question is a weird one but I really end up with no idea where to place them and start placing them as I do when I play terran, one pylon beside the other.Star3 Nov 17, 2015
Nov 16, 2015 I did it boys.... I've solved the adept You know. I was doing some thinking. I really liked the adept when it was more in the earlier stages of the beta with the shield bonus and extra health.... but I understand that immortal adept all in was waay too strong.... it got me to thinking. Why not give it back it's old stats... so that way I can have a late game gateway unit that can put up a fight... the downside is, you need the twilight council to build it... There has yet to be a unit that needs the twilight council to be built so a middle of the road T2 kind of gateway unit could be the adept. Thoughts?Nukeball1 Nov 16, 2015
Nov 16, 2015 Forums Nerfing Protoss again? LotV's Adept I just want to bring this up in a Protoss community... I'm worried about Adept nerfs. Sure sure... all-ins are a pain in the butt or whatever, so they might have to do something to tweak the adept warp-in all-in against one particular race, Terran. But for nearly the first time in SC2 history, in LOTV, withOUT an all-in, Protoss can now build gateway units and not hide behind walls for the first 10 minutes of the game. The Adept allows that freedom. And the Adept is fairly meh already after midgame... no insult intended to Terran but it's not a terran bio type unit that gets super powers when stim and the support units for it come online. Try making a lot of adepts past 7 minutes in LOTV against a zerg going any ground unit... you still get rolled over if you aren't turtling to get carriers. Yes, 2 base all-ins PvZ are still a thing too, great. I stopped playing HotS for a while because I was sick of 2 base all-ins to get wins against Zerg... coin tossing isn't my favorite type of style if that is the only consistent way to win 50% of the time. Maybe I suck or maybe 1v1 a roach and stalker are about even despite the cost disparity. If the Adept just gets nerfs, PvT is going to be safe for P for about 5 and a half minutes, then once stim is there suddenly the adept is barely holding it's own against bio. So we have to race to colossus or high templar tech again? HotS again? Is that what anybody wants? If they need to further nerf distant warp-ins, I say go for it. But don't kill the stats on the Adept... we want gateway units to be stronger than in HotS!Time6 Nov 16, 2015
Nov 15, 2015 WTF with warp in times they take forever now such BSKrone7 Nov 15, 2015
Nov 15, 2015 Why is that protoss on my screen... fat and ugly?^^energie1 Nov 15, 2015
Nov 15, 2015 Disruptor unit appearance redesign on table? I don't know if it's just me, but it just looks like a MSC. It just doesn't look and behave creatively/freshly. I appreciate the unit's existence but not how it's portrayed (even the purification nova animation; lame). In essence, the Disruptor feels so Leagues of Legends and man do I hate LoL. There's got to be a better way, I have some great ideas, but then again, everyone and their grandma probably do too, so I'll just keep it to myself. Same goes to how the Battle Cruiser is portrayed coming out of warp, just lame. You can do better Blizzard. It's just that when it comes out good we all know it right away, like the new Protoss gate unit warp in animations, nice touch; makes game more immersive!Frekingdale4 Nov 15, 2015
Nov 15, 2015 (Spoilers) Wait, so will new born protoss... So, now tha the protoss are free from the khala and all i got a question. WIll new borns not be born with their nerve tendrils? If so wouldnt it come with well the khala... Which means, the khala lives on somewhat?Gabe1 Nov 15, 2015
Nov 15, 2015 Any suggestion for beginner build order? Probably no need to be the best but very hard to master/control. I prefer one that would suit for beginner but efficiency progress, enough to survive the early defend/rush.Ryser3 Nov 15, 2015
Nov 15, 2015 Why no lov campaign discuss board yet ? weirdJustinBieber0 Nov 15, 2015
Nov 15, 2015 How are people finding the reaver? I'm not sure how powerful it is compared to the colossus, has anyone had success with it?Gono4 Nov 15, 2015
Nov 15, 2015 Story Questions after LOTV I just finished the new campaign. I have a few questions I hope you can clarify for me. 1) Tassadar 2) Kerrigan 3) Amon 1 - Is Tassadar really a Xel' Naga? Has he always been Xel Naga or did a Xel Naga just assume the form of Tassadar at some point? If he was always Xel Naga why not tell people about Amon? 2 - Was Kerrigan also a Xel Naga? If not, how did she become Xel Naga? How did the infinite cycle end if she became a xel naga - wouldn't that restart the cycle? 3 - Amon - why is he so mad, what is his beef? what is his story and why? I have more questions but I'll start with those. Thank you!BunnyLove4 Nov 15, 2015
Nov 15, 2015 Need help! HOW THE GOD!@#$ AM I SUPPOSED TO BEAT THE FINAL MISSION?!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T MANUFACTURE TROOPS FAST ENOUGH I AND MY ALLIES GET OVERWHELMED!!!!!!!!!DarthMalgus8 Nov 15, 2015
Nov 15, 2015 Did the epilogue change options for everyone? I started the epilogue and ALL of the unit choices and core choices are different to what I selected before. Did it do this to everyone? If so, why? Whats the point? I liked my setup the way it was.IronAngel1 Nov 15, 2015
Nov 15, 2015 One thing I hated about the Epilogue We couldnt customize our unit upgrades, so I went into this with the builds I don't usually use in the campaign. Anyone find some of these difficult to deal with because of that? I hope they have a patch where we can have the option to change the upgrades for each unit before the mission starts.Clavitz3 Nov 15, 2015
Nov 14, 2015 I need a good opening for all races as toss I have been having a bad time doing my opening build. I need a good strong opening vs all races PvP PvZ and PvT. Please help I have no clue what to open with or what to go in too as the game goes on. You're advice will be very helpful in any way thank you for your time. GoodLuck and Have Fun in your games!DarkCloud5 Nov 14, 2015
Nov 13, 2015 pvt advice how are you supposed to play this matchup? I killed over 70 scv and he was still able to get the money to make army what am I supposed to do. also had better upgradesdozer6 Nov 13, 2015
Nov 12, 2015 Why do people hate Protoss? I've noticed people saying that Protoss doesnt require as much skill as Terran and Zerg yet 9 times out of 10 I see people recommend Terran as a starting race. What is it that makes Protoss such an "intermediate" race? Is it because you can usually always have all your probes on the mineral line? I'm assuming when you use an SCV or use a drone to build a building that can be a detriment to your economy whereas you can just queue the probe to go back to your minerals after the building has begun warping. I'm new to starcraft and was just curious as to why people had these opinions.jheeZe62 Nov 12, 2015
Nov 12, 2015 Streaming! http://www.twitch.tv/insomniac313 I'm playing some unranked as protoss and zerg.Insomniac3 Nov 12, 2015
Nov 12, 2015 The idea of "bonding/brotherhood" in gameplay The protoss have always been the "honor" race and about brothers fighting along side one another and merging powers. I think that innate characteristic could be better represented in the protoss multiplay gameplay by adjusting just a few things on their units. An upgrade that distributes damage to a single zealot across 3 nearby zealots. "brotherhood" An ability that allows certain units to "bond" to their like kind to move as one but gain additional damage An ability that merges 2 pylons to gain substantial range Additionally I think that protoss should be weaker (slightly) when standing alone.StormiNormin0 Nov 12, 2015
Nov 12, 2015 Can the Protoss get the Reaver back!? Why can't the Protoss have the Reaver back!? it was a very effective unit! :(SolidWaterQB5 Nov 12, 2015