Zerg Discussion

Sep 10, 2010 Initial Queen Energy So I'm relatively new to zerg (used to be a terran plan, but that got boring) and I'm still trying to figure out the various nuances of the race. One thing I have noticed is that everyone tend to spend the initial queen energy on spawning larvae. In the build order I do, usually a hatch at 16, I don't normally have the minerals to spawn those 4 into units. Because of that I like to spend the initial 25 on a creep tumor and get it started spreading to my natural. Also because of the nature of creep tumors I can then keep spreading it indefinitely, before I get locked into spawning larvae whenever I have 25 energy. I guess my question is, is doing this a bad idea? Forgoing those 4 units that i mostly don't have the money for seems like a good idea to me; and the benefits to having creep over more of my base sooner just vastly outweighs that 30 secs I havent spawned those units. Any one else do this or feel that way?Pintonium2 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Balance idea Ultralisk have should have a "Wings of the dragon" upgrade with cost for minerals:200 and gas:200. Then it should have Ultralisk to be able to take flight and become a giant monster with flame breath, fear and tail swipe. then the terrans kids can be a hero and have a "Master Dargon Slayer" achievement if they slay the ultralisk dargon with 25 marines or less. the protoss cry babies can have "Dargon Toredas" achievement if they can kill 10 ultralisk dargon with 25 cheeserays in less then 10 seconds. It will definitely balance the ureent issues at hand and while the terran kiddies and toss crybabies are distracted and busy trying to get their acheievements we zergs can finally expand in peace and build our armies and kekekezerg rush them to death.Shiru1 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 6 Pooling question.. I know I'm only bronze, but I've been having a lot of success 6 pooling lately, with only the occasional Terran turtling so hard i cant breach in time. How do I break through the Terran bunker/depots about 3 seconds faster? I've been altering my build order to include an extractor after the fist three lings are made to try and get speedlings faster, but haven't quite got it.. anyone got a really good 6 pool rush build?Tarzan8 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Queen should walk in normal speed off creep. Queen is the only unit that walks super slow off creep, and I don't see a valid reason for that. I understand that they are supposed to be base defenders, but their skills already reinforces that. Spawning Larvas and Creep Tumors are only good around the Zerg base. They are useless in the front line. Allowing the queen to move fast off creep won't make these 2 skills overpowered. Transfusion is an very expensive skill and it is not auto cast so it takes lots of skills to use it properly. Allowing the queen to move fast off creep will allow the Queen to be a front line healer that is harder to use than Medievac. Transfusion also heals for a hard 125 health, too much healing for MOST zerg units. For example when you try to heal a dying Hydralisk with Transfusion A LOT of the healing is wasted. Once again Tranfusion is very hard to use properly. I don't see how is this overpowered in any way. Without proper unit support they deal a tiny 4 damage against ground units. That is less than the damage of a Marine. So they will not increase zerg's rush threat. You can only heal your 35hp Zerglings so many times before you run out of energy. Did I mention healing wasting? Queen is one of the slowest units to produce in the game. And they are not even that cheap. They will not come in mass. All in all, a queen is useless in the front line without proper unit support and micro. So what is the purpose of making them walk super slow? Another idea I have is to make Transfusion AoE healing but heals less and cost less. But that is another discussion for another day.CHIPS23 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Combating early T/PvZ harassments - Changes? TLDR in 2nd post. I think we can all agree by now that Zerg is a very fragile race, in the aspect of the player needing to be very precise and mistake-free in most matches to compete. Things like not being able to (easily and early in the game) block ramps like T/P expand the issues for Zerg, requiring extra attention and much quicker response times. I believe that many of Zerg's issues lie in early game play, which I think most upper-league players will agree with. This is because they have more proper tools to handle the situations at higher tiers, even with the same units. I think one of the primary reasons for these early game handicaps is the limited availablility of useful upgrades for Zerg in Tier1. For example, Stim Pack being available at Tier1 absolutely cripples Zerg's Tier1 counterparts. Zerg, especially in Tier1, is extremely low ranged and primarily slow as Zerglings are the only units with a speed upgrade available pre-Lair. The lack of units that can keep up with fast moving counterparts, and those units being extremely effective against Zerg's only fast moving unit in Tier1, creates large issues when used properly. Zerg's lack of decent range units also creates problems. Trying to go up against Protoss who have Sentries and Stalkers, both with good range, against Banelings, Zerglings, and Roaches all at the same Tier1 can be devastating. If used correctly, Protoss can just Force Field their ramp and keep you out. This doesn't create so much of a problem for Terran as they also have range and can still be effective while locked out if they have vision. Zerg, on the other hand, are stuck below without any decent range units to put up a fight with (even if you do have vision). Even if you get past the ramp, Protoss have the easy ability to block their entrance with buildings and Zealots in the 1 space pathway, with Sentries and Stalkers shooting from a safe distance away. Without Roach speed, even if you get past the Force Fielded ramp AND the Zealot block, your Roaches will still be kited out by faster and longer range Stalkers. If Banelings are brought in to the mix to hasten the move in to the base they can simply be micro-picked off using Stalkers with move-attack while they're still stuck in Tier1 slow speed, and the opponent's Zealots are safe as can be and ready to re-block the entrance from Zerglings, Zerg's only early unit able to effectively counter the Stalkers. Banelings work great against Marines, and once the Marines are dead Zerglings with Speed work wonders against Marauders. That is, right up until Terran has Stim Pack again and just outruns and picks off the Banelings, leaving all the Marines to mow through the Zerglings without breaking a sweat. This becomes even worse when Terran gets Concussive Shells, also available at Tier1. Zerglings put up a good fight against Reapers, but it is not a "good" counter as the reapers are also very effective against the Zerglings. The real early "counter" unit for Reapers is Roaches, however Roaches are completely ineffective due to Reaper speed being also available at Tier1. Roaches are also good against Hellions, right up until you can't catch them again because they move so fast. So Zerg players like to block their entrances with Roaches, which works great right up until those faster AND longer range Marines/Marauders or Stalkers for Protoss come in and clear them out. Speedlings work well against Hellions but again are not very good hard counters as they also get decimated by Hellions. I believe Zerg has the correct units, in theory, to deal with early game and provide the right counters, however their Researched abilities are not in-line with T/P. Providing Roach speed and Baneling speed in Tier1 to combat mass Zealots/Stalkers/Sentries and the Dreaded Bio ball, as well as super fast Reapers/Hellions would bring Zerg's early game much more in-line and on an even keel. Leave move-while-burrowed for Roaches at Tier2. This should not be Over-Powered as each still costs a LARGE amount of resources (especially when compared to Terran upgrade prices) and a large amount of time to research, so it is not like every Zerg will have very early Roach speed, Zergling speed, and Baneling speed. It comes with decisions based on scouting so you can switch to the correct counter to your opponent's early build if necessary. Terran already has their abilities available at Tier1, and Protoss get one of the most effective casters in the game available at Tier1 as well. Zerg currently gets slow melee explosive and slow very low ranged units, and one slow but upgradable to fast very light and very easy to kill low damage unit that can be massed but is combated quite easily currently. Continued Below:Abacadabra5 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 blinking stalkers What's the best counter to well micro'd blinking stalkers?Miketh0 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Counter to Mass Mutalisks? I got VERY bored of using Mutalisks/Zerglings only, so I switched to Hydralisks/Roaches build. Honestly every game was the same using only Mutalisks and Zerglings... Just got so tired of it. Should I make an army of Mutalisks and Roaches? How would that work? Hydralisks can't hide behind anything to protect them, so they are melted right through. Is my only option to make Mutalisks too? Also, this would be used against Zerg. A Roach/Hydralisk army can handle most Protoss builds. And Terrans can be handled with Roaches/Banelings/Zerglings. Help would be appreciated. Matt32 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Roaches: Necessity or style? I like to use roaches for games and sometimes even go out of my way to use them although my chances of victory increase with another strategy. So I like roaches. However, I can't figure out many reasons to get roaches out other than rare circumstances. It seems I can completely skip roaches and win 90% of the time. Same with corruptors, but that's another story. Ok, so fast roaches for protoss is nice, but can't slings/blings do just as well? Why go muta/roach when you can go muta/ling-- why roach/hydra when you can go all hydra with a few lings? Why use roaches at all past early game? They can soak a lot of damage, but it seems lings do the same job in a different way. It's also nice being in one of those ultra rare situations that getting tunneling claws is actually useful, but wouldn't using the resources on another upgrade be more practical? I like to use roaches, but I have a difficult time justifying their use most of the time I opt for them. I'll continue to use them for fear that zerg will become flavorless as I play more often, but I can see myself going random with the monotony of successful zerg play. I say successful zerg play because I find that making a few mistakes spells defeat for zerg far more so than terran or protoss. In other words, trying new strategies is a lot riskier. Anyway, what are your thoughts on this, community? Is your choice to utilize roaches more necessity or style? tl;dr Whatever roaches can do, skipping them will get the job done as well or better. To win as zerg becomes monotonous as risk of defeat goes up the more you deviate from solid strategies. Entropy11 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 what do you think zergs biggest problem is. i think its zergs scouting. back in sc1 there was no hard counter system you went a specif build against diffrent races and stuck with it you had alot a genral purpose units. now its a switch unit constanly festiville and can poor zerg realy keep up with this with there lack of scouting tools sure they have the advantage having to build only one tech structure to switch things up, i think thats what the designers had in mind anyways,but do you realy think this hard counter system is good for the game, or not.Negativekill43 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Here's another one! Feedback plz. So this is probably the most potent 4gate I've ever faced. The momentum he had was pretty incredible. Is it just my lack of hydras? Or...what say ye, oh wise forumites? http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/77436-1v1-protoss-zerg-blistering-sandsAnimosity5 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 DIAMOND i has it and i didn't need a patch to do it MY OPINION IS NOW VALID GUYZZEZ8 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Need Some Tips for a New Zerg Player So after trying a few matches out as the other races I though I'd try Zerg and all I can think holy @@## there's a lot of stuff to keep track of. I need some advice for a really new player. Just starting with the basics. In the other races people say good advice is to always make workers. That's easy enough to follow since they come out one at a time but with zerg you could make three at once or spend all that on other units, how do you balance this. Second how do you select and hot key it so that I can get all my bases at once so I can see the total units I can produce, and make more workers in each without going to each on individually? Third how do you spawn larva at regular intervals without going back to each queen? Fourth say I'm producing a lot of Mutalisks at three bases is there any easy way to bring them all to one spot without going all around the map? Finally, is there any other advice you think is important for a really new player? I know these might be really basic questions but I need some help. Thanks.Daniel2 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Am I not understanding something? Why are there so many 1v1 maps but so few available to league play? Am I missing out on an option on playing them or are the rest reserved for AI games? ***I think agria valley or burial grounds would be good additions.***BMetal12 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Underrepresentation of Zerg in Tournaments I am not making this post to scream imbalance I just thought this was very sad. Team Liquid does a weekly Tournament Roundup where they give results for any and all tournaments that week. They also have a section in the roundup where they give a podium with all the winners and runners up of the various weekly tournies that happen on a regular basis (ie. ESL Go4SC2, Zotac Cup, etc.). Here are the links to the last three. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=151566 http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=149591 http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=147519 I did some checking and also looked up a couple threads on the TL forums where they discussing this, and for the past five weeks, a zerg player has not won a single weekly tournament. The last win or even second place that a zerg earned in one of these tournaments was Dimaga over two months ago (not positive on that if someone could crosscheck id appreciate). Since launch of the game, a zerg player has not won a single "major tournament" in SC2. Not a single one. If i'm wrong and I missed one please correct me (I kind of hope I am mistaken since this is so sad) but as far as I can see we are lacking a single major victory. I'm not sure what this says about Zerg right now, if it is proof that we are UP, or if it just means we are somehow worse than protoss and terran players (which we are not) or if simply nobody wants to play Zerg right now. I personally am very saddened by this and hope a zerg pulls out a big win sometime soon. For the SwarmRasun1 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 If crawlers were considered units with supply , but got major buffs to compensate, would you use them?Thorn9 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Micro Focused Zerg? I love the zerg, and the challenge is awesome. But I hate the fact that if I don't constantly macro, it's almost impossible to win :( Does anyone know how to play zerg in a more micro based way? thanks in advance, ulxlx ulxlx1 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Spine crawler question I'm pretty much starting to play zerg new and tend to come up with creative ideas that I'm not sure will work and haven't tested yet. Can spine crawlers go through nydus or be transported by OLs? Would really be some cool uses ;)fate3 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Protoss cannoning their own base!?!? What the F is with all these protoss cannoning their own base then start turtling and expanding??? Ever since yesterday ir ealized ALL the protoss players r becoming a terran player, just cannon the base and wait for zerg to atk, then mass templars psi storm and kill the zerg units !@#! http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/77395-1v1-protoss-zerg-kulas-ravine#c1 i got the replay of this #@*!#@, he wasnt even good, his apm was like half of mine but he just sits in base , but i dont want him to max out 200 pop and i wont be able to beat him by then, so i was forced to atk , wtf is wrong with all these protoss these days?PoisonedLun18 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 How to become a diamond zerg player Hey everyone, I promise after you read this zerg advice message and taking it to heart that you will become a much better zerg player. Even with all the QQing going around the forums about how zerg blos. I havent started 1v1 yet but I will very soon and please note that this is how I play zerg. Some people will disagree with what I say but thats cool. This is how I play and I hope to make a couple people better at playing zerg. Im not the best zerg player, but Im alright :] Here is some friendly advice. Some tips regardless of class. - Learn Hotkeys!!!! Everyone second counts. If you only play with your mouse, you are already at a disadvantage. Using your keyboard will make you 3x faster. It takes practice! :] - Learn which units are good against enemy units. For example, Zerglings ###* Thors, Maurders ###* Stalkers, Roaches ###* zealots, etc. - Dont be discouraged when you lose, Ive lost many games. With each loss, you will become better. Watch replays, learn how you could have played differently, or actions you should have taken. - Scout/Explore! The most important aspect of starcraft is knowing what your enemy is doing!! Zerg especially has creep, overlords, speedlings, etc. that can explore the map. -Spend your Minerals!!!! As a zerg player, you never want to accumulate minerals, if you find yourself with 1000+ unspent minerals, build more hatcheries. Now how I play the zerg. Units to completely ignore: Roaches and Hydras -Now I know this sounds nuts, but I hate both of these units. The only time I have ever created roaches was because it was 2v2 against 2protoss and they were both massing zealots and rushing fast. That was the only time I can recall. -Reason? Roaches are way too slow. T1 roaches are slow. Slow to attack, slow to retreat, almost any unit can outrun them. If you get the upgrade they still aren't fast enough. And they cant hit air. Even if you tech so they can burrow and move, your opponent will most likely have air units. Hydras are way too squishy only 80 health (a marine can have 55 >.<) , again, slow units, and terrible range unless you upgrade. Zerg advantages Zerg has the fastest ground unit: The zergling, AND Zerg has the fastest air unit: The Mutalisk, in most of my games I mass mutas and zerglings and use them together. -Why? You have dps coming from both the air and the ground at the exact same time. (Upgrade ling defense and muta attack), Plus, they are very very fast. Abuse this strategy, it works really well. Although teching takes the longest for the Zerg, there is a reason for that. Ultralisks and Broodlords are extremely powerful units. If your game lasts longer than 25 minutes, you should have a hive and going either one of these units. Just remember which units your enemy is making, and decide which units to make. (Ultras do not work well against mm, but very good against tanks/thors. Zerg strategies that are rarely used Queens are probably the most underplayed zerg unit. In a 10 minute game, I will have 3-4, 20 minutes I will have around 6-8. Reason? Queens can counter void rushes like nothing else can. Especially if you have 4 queens, Queens can heal themselves and heal spores. Plus, more larva = more units. Infestors are very good units. But they take alot of practice. They cost alot of minerals so dont waste them. They are difficult to control, but with enough practice you can destroy tons of units. Burrowing and sneaking into enemy bases using infested terrans can be devastating. Banelings melt marines/zealots/stalkers. Again, you must be careful how you handle these units. Buy the speed upgrade. A great tactic that I have only seen ONCE, (besides me) is that someone builds around 20-25 and burrows them in front of their base. Enemy army sets to gather outside your base, then boom, army arent they no mo. A great tactic. Meowz16 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Nice replay for my fellow swarm. First off, I was a random player. I started out the game with a rank of "Rank 1 Diamond, as random". After 150 games of random I decided to ta da!, go with Zerg as my main race. After countless hours of "Losing" with this "Seemingly" UP race, I started to research. I watched a lot of the Tournament streams over the last few months. Downloaded a lot of Pro Zerg players and started on my hard journey to try and at least get decent at this race. I'am not here to claim I'am a god at the race, but to just share a nice little replay which made me feel good after a lot of hours learning this race. I would also like to put a shout out to day9 for his awsome videos. I have gathered A LOT from them and I think it has, I mean I KNOW it has helped my game A LOT. Even though a lot of stuff he sais I know, it just feels really good and is a big eye opener to hear it from someone else. Anyways, here is the replay. Now... THE ONLY reason I'm posting this is cause my opponent was a Top 10 Diamond player, I was like... WoW this guy is rank 10 (After losing to me, was possibly higher). Anyways. Enjoy. There is hope for our race!!! Think outside the box!!!. http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/77404-1v1-terran-zerg-lost-templeZedonius4 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 7 Pool v 2 Gate Rank 1 v +880 Win Toss http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/77451-1v1-protoss-zerg-scrap-stationJeonyboy0 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 ***[Queen Fix]*** 1). Allow the Hatchery to process upgrades while spawning the Queen. This will allow Zerg players to upgrade to the much needed tier 2 units for air defense without being delayed 50 seconds. Let's face it, Zerg need the Queen to keep up with drone and troop production (except for one or two builds). It's not fair to Zerg players to be delayed 50 additional seconds for drone and troop production when other races can get to tier 2 and 3 much quicker. Even with Queen removed from the Zerg tech tree, it still takes longer to get to tier 2 and 3 than the other races, let not make it worse with the Queen. 2). Change Spawn Larva to a cooldown. Not Spawning Larva is suicide for a Zerg player, it's a mechanic that Zerg are pretty much forced to do. With Spawn Larva being a cooldown, Zerg players would be able use the Hatchery Queens as spellcasters instead of just 2 supply cost Spawn Larva mechanics. Sure you can and should produce more Queens depending ion the situation but don't gimp our "Hatchery" Queens so that they can't also be used as spellcasters. (The other option would be to reduce the cost of Spawn Larva considerable so the "Hatchery" Queen could also be used as spellcasters). Rehash/Revision of a previous post I had.Munqaxus12 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 How do you defend your BL's from light air? So right I'm just starting into this game, haven't played much 1v1 but I'm in gold there, having alot of fun doing 2v2 with my friend (just bronze there atm, it'll go up we just don't have much time to play). He goes toss or terran, usually toss, while i go zerg. Anyways alot of our games end up with us holding map control and resource starving/expo denying our opponents. I harass workers early game with baneling busts/zergling hits or nydus if i can find a nice spot for it in the mid game. But when it comes to taking out a turtled terran (short of resource starving him) I can't seem to bust through if they have light anti air to backup their siege/turrets/bunkers. How do you guys protect your brood lords from light anti air units? I tried muta's but their short range forced them in missile turret/bunker/rine range to fight, Hydra's would just get owned by the siege engines (although those seemed to go down real fast to BL's so maybe not an issue)?GarethBryne11 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Thank god collossi can get shot by AA I am very glad blizzard put this counter into the game. But then again I never play as protoss....BMetal3 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 How not to 6-pool http://www.fybertech.com/4get/12838051371872.jpg Discuss.Uratoh7 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Zerg have smallest popcap While we often assume that all three races have 200 supply Zerg actually has only 194. The reason is simple by the time you have filled 200 supply you'll have atleast 3 expos, all of which have Queens. Each queen takes up 2 pop, after the first few minutes of the queens serve no other role than to spawn larvae and spread creep. While those are both useful necessary mechanics should it really gimp us 6 pop on a unit which aren't necessarily combat or resource gathering? We are paying food for something the other races use infastucture for ( don't give me this crap that zerg can spam so much more, by the time your in those late battles you're not going to afford the gas cost of spawning 30 ultralisks or even hydras / corrupters / mutas all at once) Larvae spam can only be taken advantage of by zerglings and roaches - both units become obsolete in T3. 6 pop = 1 Ultralisk. I guarantee you there's been many a battle where your 200 supply army met an opponents and 1 more ultralisk would've helped. This is just one more reason queens need to be rethought. OrionHunter18 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 MSPaint Zerg! http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b390/XxxTenebraexxX/UnknownAnti-ArmorZerg.jpg I'm only slightly pleased with it, but...hey, might as well show off what I have been wasting time on all night. Done in MSPaint, as the thread title would suggest...I lack a scanner right now, so any sketched endeavors would go wasted. Tenebrae26 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Infested buildings spawning broodlings? I think it would be another cool attack if when the overseers infest structure ability was used, the structure would automatically start spawning broodlings. Not too much to make it overpowered. Maybe the equivalent of 1 brood lord. Sound cool? Another base attack for zerg and it buffs that ability.BMetal5 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Top Rank 200. How To Get In? Is it done by point system? If it is how much points to break top 200? Thanks.Jeonyboy4 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 How to stop a Cannon rush Scout better, and hope he makes a mistake or two or three. http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/77414-1v1-protoss-zerg-blistering-sands Gri0 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Favorite Race to Play Against and why. I like to play against Terran to be honest. The only thing I dread is a reaper rush into whatever they want. However, if the opponent doesn't do that, it becomes a very dynamic game. There's a lot of drops, harass, and big battles. Protoss to me isn't as fun. It's usually they dominate or I do. Once tier 3 comes in, it's GG me. I haven't defeated a good player that utilizes Storm. Zerg vs Zerg. I still don't get to play beyond slings and blings. =T Boring. They either get slings and blings or roaches, but that's it.Netfreakk2 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Kulas Ravine I HATE THIS MAP! Everything about it. I can't find a winning strategy here. I'll go 9-1 without playing this map then 1-9 when playing this map. Someone please give me some insight.Flestiraef9 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Queens/Roaches/Nydus I beleive I eXecuted this Queen/roach/nydus rush very well.. I wiped 2 of his bases.. However toss can just run and hide behind a wall of cannons.. Anyone have any advice? http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/77357-1v1-protoss-zerg-kulas-ravine Yes I'm silver, and I use a touchpad and not a mouse, so my APM is rather low.Flestiraef9 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Need help with playing 2's Hey guys, I was just looking for some help with some 2s. I Usually play with a terran teammate, and we just seam to always get steam rolled. My teamate is VERY good at blocking in, but when we play maps that have more than 1 entrance, I just can't get defense fast enough. Almost any 2's game we play, it's a quick push... and it's just near impossible to hold of both of their armies. If my partner does go for the block... It's an all or nothing kind of thing, so he doesn't have many rines to help out. Also, I am VERY new to zerg. There are a lot of buildings and things i still have never used. I'm just new enough to be pretty quick at going for stuff like lings to quick mutas or hydras. I'm getting better at quick roaches, but it seams even if I go quick lings to roaches, it still just isn't enough to hold off that early push. Is it almost save to say getting 4-5 spine crawlers in the process of building my army? Or is there another way? Thanks very much :DBeergut10 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Still Rolling Rank 1, I'm So Goo http://www.sc2replayed.com/players/20819-jeonyboy#replayJeonyboy3 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 If corruption silenced casters, is it imba? Personally I think it'd give corrupters not only more versatility in our army/builds, but it would give zerg an answer to casters, such as the terran's emp and the loltoss's feedback abilities. But would it be too powerful? In my mind no, we're already hurting as it is and this would give us a little more reason to use corrupters.Gabriot2 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 roach build I am a little new to roach, so with roach, do you recommend fast expand 1 gas, or fast expand 2 gas? or no expand 2 gas?TheVoid2 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Steppes of War and Zealot rush Alright, one thing that I haven't been able to figure out how to beat is a fast zealot rush on Steppes of War. Zealots get there about when your queen shows up, contains you, while warp gate is researching, stalkers are now joining in, etc. All the while Protoss is happily building lots of Probes and taking his natural. Even if you sit on one base, somehow block off your ramp with crawlers, and manage to push back his now 4-gates worth of units, you are SO far behind economically that it's already GG. Anyone have any ideas what to do here, or some replays where Z survives and wins this? 1.1 should help a great deal with this, but until then I don't just want to GG and leave every time I see a Protoss doing this on Steppes.tex14 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 1 easy fix for spawn larvae 1. By clicking "Spawn larva" the queen will automatically spawn it at the nearest available hatchery. How's this different? No targeting required; you don't have to select a queen and aim for that small dot on your map (small dot is your hatchery), or you don't have to revisit your base, select queen, click on the hatchery. Dragon1 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 At LAST! Diamond - el Dia-mon-de! So it finally happened! After much fighting and many battles. After my initial placement in bronze (and quick adjustment to gold), my eventual promotion to platinum, and nearly three weeks in platinum . . . I FINALLY HIT DIAMOND~! And as of yesterday, I was rank 2 in my division . . though thanks to not playing enough games that has slipped considerably. But SC2ranks says i'm top 60%! Woot! ALL PH34R the wrath of the Swarm! To any zerg player who wants to know what I do: 2base lings -> mutas with 13-drone scout. Harass well, and know your cheeses and how to block them. This gets you through the first 20 minutes of most games with a mild advantage . . .and that often translates into a win right there. Works great in ZvP and excellent in all ZvT except mass MMM - for which you need either banes or infestors. Finally, as a way of trying to help out, here's all my saved replays of my games to date. I warn you that they aren't preened or selected well. They're taken from games back in bronze league all the way up to my more recent plat v. diamond league games. I experimted with a bunch of strats and builds, most notably my "fast roaches" phase, my "uber macro" phase, a hydra-roach+lings period, and now my muta-ling phase which I believe is my favorite. Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RJSUXMIW [[~40 replays included, of which 5 or so aren't league games]] Enjoy! Please leave any comments/questions as desired. -AHMADKingOfBlades13 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Easy Larva Spawns Hello Zergers! I've seen a lot of zerg players complaining about the need to spawn larva, and how difficult it is to manage multiple queens. So i've decided to post a little trick I found that certainly made the difference for me. Here is my set up. All hatcheries control grouped to 4. All queens control ground to 5. Make sure to have a queen per base. But omg, how do I focus the right base to spawn larva?!?! Now for the magic. Hit 5 to select all your queens, hit spawn larva, target each hive on the mini map. The smart casting system kicks in, and whichever queen is closest will spawn larva. So you never have to look at your hives, just select all queens and target the huge square that is your hive on your minimaps. If the hive is still making larva it will tell you so, and you can go on about your day. Dipsomania5 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Corruptors vs. Void Rays Is it just me or are corruptors not nearly good enough against mass void rays? I just got owned hardcore by mass void rays in a 2v2. I had hydra and some corruptors and mutalisks. Gas for gas, even with my fast expansion, it just wasn't nearly enough to counter the void rays. I tried harassing his base but he had too many cannons to get through. Me and my ally's stalkers just got WIPED like a hot knife through butter. Every single cluster of units we had got decimated, and the rays weren't even charged. 6 hydralisks killed maybe one focus firing, plus my spore colonies, plus my queens. Completely annihilated. My ally's base got cleaned out of every building in less than a minute. When those rays were charged to even level 2, absolutely anything that came within range was laying dead in less than a second. What did we do wrong? I tried scouting his base multiple times, but all I saw was a gateway and a bunch of cannons that killed anything I sent. His pylons were perfectly walled off too. The map had 3 possible enemy starting locs, and I sent my overloard to the opposite side of the map til it was too late to turn him around. Mass rays are nearly uncounterable with zerg unless you have at least 3 bases, which get wiped out anyway. 2 bases doesn't get enough gas to produce any viable numbers to kill it. And of course, once we beat his main mass of rays (after both our mains are gone and we're rebuilding), he has another one right there, plus we're fighting off his ally this entire time. I think their speed upgrade needs to be removed. That's what really makes them rigged.composure38 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Need some help with what units to get Ok just wonder when is a good time to go which unit. I want to get to diamond real bad and would do anything to get there. Right now all i'm doing is teching to mutas and then getting counters for whatever. Like for example against 4 gate Protoss it's mass mutas with lings and tech to ultras if they get phoenix then i get some corruptors if they get immortals i mix in some lings. Against Terrens if they do Mech with a lot of rines i usually do mutas banelings and if they do mech maruders i usally just mass on mutas and some roaches and magic ball his thors. So you can see i basically get mutas and when i play i feel i have to do a lot more than the other player just to beat him most of my wins are just harrassing and forcing him into 1 base for the rest of the game and keeping pressure up. Now i watch a lot of replays from Psy, Husky, HD and everything and the pro diamond players. Of course some go mutas, but sometimes they also go roaches i would like to know when to go for mutas and when to go for roaches or whatever unit. Or is it i just make decision in the beginning of the game and stick to it.Forklift2 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Banelings should beable to move well burrowed just sayinTreble15 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Stop complaining Seriously, you're making us look bad. Almost every problem i've seen on this forum about not being able to counter units can be solved by this statement. Stop massing a single unit and get an arrangement of units?. A wall of roaches supported by hydras is insane Have you ever tried neural parasite on tanks in mid combat? Time it right and GG MMM ball. I agree zerg are slightly harder to play than other races but dear god.... come on GET CREATIVE Everyone just seems to jump on the UP bandwagon instead of finding effective ways of playing zerg.Wiggles31 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Upgrade for creep tumors? One reason I think Terran feel more complete is that they have a more complete list of upgrades. They can upgrade their units, bunkers, and buildings (armor), which - while not many people get them, they are there, and have a use. One thing zerg lacks is any sort of non-unit upgrade. Aside from tech-tree, buildings are as-is forever. One such 'macro' upgrade that I think could be situationally useful (as they all are) would be: Hardened Creep Tumor: Creep tumors get +50 life and +10 armor (tough like an egg!). Late game, when people run their armies around with a detector, they can just murder the creep highway without a second thought, ruining what has taken all game to build! If the tumors were ridiculously tough, it would make them think twice about spending time to kill each one, slowing their progress if they choose to kill them. It would be a small buff that would encourage Zerg macro while helping the highway become a part of zerg strategy.Elmo1 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Um... Who thought it'd be a good idea for there to be an explode button for banelings while they're burrowed?Vortigaunt8 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Zerg buildings? Y do zerg buildings like important tech structures have significantly less HP than the other races? I'm confused how an important tech structure like spawning pool would have less HP than a Barracks and or a gateway? A bit confused. sleepnaught7 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Reduce Cost Of Every Upgrade By 25/25. Zerg is the most upgrade-intensive race. This is, admittedly, one of our biggest problems. So let's think about what'd happen if we did something to ameliorate that. The individual effects would be small, of course, but consider it; 75/75 Zergling speed would make acquiring a Lair easier. 75/75 Roach speed would allow one more roach to be built while gearing them up. Et cetera. What do you fellas think? Too drastic? Not drastic enough? Moderately drastic within reason? You decide.LeadfootSlim10 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Why not let zerg start with one creep tumor? Currently, you either have to skip a larva spawn or buy a second queen before you can get started spreading creep. I think it would be cool if zerg just started with 1 creep tumor, so they can start spreading creep immediately. Zerg are already distinguished from the other races by starting with an overlord, so it's not unprecedented by any means. The earlier creep generation would have the following effects for zerg. 1.) Early harassment strategies are less effective due to greater zerg mobility in their home base. Also, building bunkers in a zerg base would now be very difficult, for instance. 2.) Engenders possibility of zerg walling (though still delayed and weak relative to other races). Blizzard has chosen to make walling a central part of the game's strategy, given that almost every map has a ramp and EVERY map has a choke. Terran, for instance, is a totally different experience on a wide open map. 3.) Zerg will, at last, finally be able to spread their tech structures out a bit so that they can't all be seen by one scan or suicide air unit. 4.) Zerg fast expansions will be much easier to defend with creep highways already set up. 5.) Creep highways come out much earlier and consequently reach their destination much sooner, other races will have to put greater priority on popping the tumor as it is placed or in getting detection to end it. Overall, I think this would go a long way to fixing some of zerg's problems. I also think it would make zerg a little more fun to play, giving you another thing to do early game when the pace is less hectic and causing fewer later game "I'M TRYING TO TECH AND EXPAND AND BUILD AN ARMY AND OH GOD I ALSO HAVE TO EXTEND ALL THREE CREEP HIGHWAYS AS FAST AS POSSIBLE USING OVERLORDS OR ELSE I CAN'T DO MY TIMING PUSH OH GOD OH GOD" moments. EDIT: Two goods idea brought up in this thread: Let hatcheries have a 1 time use ability to spawn a creep tumor. OR if that would start creep too early Have queens spawn with 50 energy like most other energy using units.Drinniol295 Sep 10, 2010