Zerg Discussion

Sep 10, 2010 Upgrade for creep tumors? One reason I think Terran feel more complete is that they have a more complete list of upgrades. They can upgrade their units, bunkers, and buildings (armor), which - while not many people get them, they are there, and have a use. One thing zerg lacks is any sort of non-unit upgrade. Aside from tech-tree, buildings are as-is forever. One such 'macro' upgrade that I think could be situationally useful (as they all are) would be: Hardened Creep Tumor: Creep tumors get +50 life and +10 armor (tough like an egg!). Late game, when people run their armies around with a detector, they can just murder the creep highway without a second thought, ruining what has taken all game to build! If the tumors were ridiculously tough, it would make them think twice about spending time to kill each one, slowing their progress if they choose to kill them. It would be a small buff that would encourage Zerg macro while helping the highway become a part of zerg strategy.Elmo1 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Um... Who thought it'd be a good idea for there to be an explode button for banelings while they're burrowed?Vortigaunt8 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Zerg buildings? Y do zerg buildings like important tech structures have significantly less HP than the other races? I'm confused how an important tech structure like spawning pool would have less HP than a Barracks and or a gateway? A bit confused. sleepnaught7 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Reduce Cost Of Every Upgrade By 25/25. Zerg is the most upgrade-intensive race. This is, admittedly, one of our biggest problems. So let's think about what'd happen if we did something to ameliorate that. The individual effects would be small, of course, but consider it; 75/75 Zergling speed would make acquiring a Lair easier. 75/75 Roach speed would allow one more roach to be built while gearing them up. Et cetera. What do you fellas think? Too drastic? Not drastic enough? Moderately drastic within reason? You decide.LeadfootSlim10 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Why not let zerg start with one creep tumor? Currently, you either have to skip a larva spawn or buy a second queen before you can get started spreading creep. I think it would be cool if zerg just started with 1 creep tumor, so they can start spreading creep immediately. Zerg are already distinguished from the other races by starting with an overlord, so it's not unprecedented by any means. The earlier creep generation would have the following effects for zerg. 1.) Early harassment strategies are less effective due to greater zerg mobility in their home base. Also, building bunkers in a zerg base would now be very difficult, for instance. 2.) Engenders possibility of zerg walling (though still delayed and weak relative to other races). Blizzard has chosen to make walling a central part of the game's strategy, given that almost every map has a ramp and EVERY map has a choke. Terran, for instance, is a totally different experience on a wide open map. 3.) Zerg will, at last, finally be able to spread their tech structures out a bit so that they can't all be seen by one scan or suicide air unit. 4.) Zerg fast expansions will be much easier to defend with creep highways already set up. 5.) Creep highways come out much earlier and consequently reach their destination much sooner, other races will have to put greater priority on popping the tumor as it is placed or in getting detection to end it. Overall, I think this would go a long way to fixing some of zerg's problems. I also think it would make zerg a little more fun to play, giving you another thing to do early game when the pace is less hectic and causing fewer later game "I'M TRYING TO TECH AND EXPAND AND BUILD AN ARMY AND OH GOD I ALSO HAVE TO EXTEND ALL THREE CREEP HIGHWAYS AS FAST AS POSSIBLE USING OVERLORDS OR ELSE I CAN'T DO MY TIMING PUSH OH GOD OH GOD" moments. EDIT: Two goods idea brought up in this thread: Let hatcheries have a 1 time use ability to spawn a creep tumor. OR if that would start creep too early Have queens spawn with 50 energy like most other energy using units.Drinniol295 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Nerf Psystorm zerglingsdietoofast.com JaM10 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 A different perspective - 2v2 Zerg strats. Obviously, most of the strategy discussion on these forums revolves around 1v1, but I wanted to start up a thread that discusses some popular strategies within the 2v2 realm. For me, it really boils down to (in my mind) 2 viable strategies. Either you go lings to fast mutas, or ling/bling rush with a partner and try to bust up the mineral line. I find myself rarely ever making roaches unless very specific conditions are met, i.e. double toss cannon cheese or double toss with separate base entrances. I know that mutas are already highly regarded in solo play, but the importance of map control only becomes greater in 2v2, where a single squad or 6-12 mutas can effectively prevent expansions for the entire opposing team, and the fast flyers tend to punish teams that delegate anti-air units to a single player. Have any other zerg 2v2 players discovered any strats that would otherwise be unfeasible for solo play? Or is it pretty much "import my solo strats"?Razer3 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 I rarely scout early game. I don't know why some people have to scout to counter against certain strategies. I play a good number of games on customs and I can kinda tell which strategy would be used. Scouting is only to see anything else my opponent is secretly doing. Against terrans I would 10 pool and immediately get speedlings because 75% of the time, my terran opponent would reaper rush. Against toss I do scout to check for 4gates, if I don't see a 4gate I assume they're going to void ray rush and make a hydra den early. Against zerg I would 10 pool to get a spine crawler asap because its likely that they'll 6 pool. Do you guys do the same as well or do you think its a bad idea to assume these things, even though it is quite likely of happening? *EDIT: Unless I'm up against a diamond, I tend to not do this cause many diamonds I play against are a bit more unpredictable.Dragon38 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 ZvZ Advice I'm a 750-800 Diamond player, but somehow ZvZ just gives me so many headaches. I never really know what I'm doing, and I go in feeling like i'm playing drunk. Anyone have any advice on some solid zvz openings, and how to transition into a somewhat capable midgame?Nodochi6 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 WTB Splash Damage for Roaches The thought came to me when I was watching mass zealots and marines ripping through my roaches, early rush ftw. Since roaches spit a considerable amount of acid when they spit, I think it neat that they should splash to 2-3 targets. Not a considerable amount, but enough to justify the large amount they spit. If you agree with me /sign. If you don't agree, then troll me I guess, since I know some of you will.Yasoom4 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 where did the 1 food roach thread go? think it was moved/deleted anyway as i was saying, they have no dps, its like one ling. the lack of dps is why 1 food was FINE. for those who say it wasnt, i dont get how you think it wasnt. zerg was by no means op with 1 supply roach. look at the sc1 hydra, instead of hp, it has dps. same price, 1 food, was fine.Initek32 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Am I doomed to be in bronze forever? So, I've been reading up on the way the ranking system works, with the MMR and uncertainty factor and whatnot. I understand that the game does the best it can to keep you at 50%, assuming that you're in the right place once you level off. When I did my placement matches, I went 1-4, and then did pretty horrible for a while until I was something like 5-12. Then I bounced back up to like 16-16, and kind of leveled off. I'm 26-26 now. Did I doom myself to bronze? Or if I keep pushing and go on a good tear, can I get out of bronze? At what point do I throw up my hands and give up on getting out of this cheese-filled, lowbie league (that I probably deserve to be in anyway)?Rabbit21 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 New Zerg Reward; Voices. Okay, so it doesn't NEED to be a reward for a certain number of wins, but please let me change the current voice (queen?) to Kerrigan or something. In sc1 it was the overmind telling me I needed to spawn additional overlords, why can't it be Kerrigan now? TLDR - Current voice is terribad.Underoath8 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Loyal Zerg Community, an idea. Is there anyone interested in creating a network/community of loyal Zerg players who are gonna stick it out no matter what happens, and keep fighting the good fight alongside Kerrigan? I was thinking of making a Facebook group that people can join, and everyone can swap out MSN's if they wanted. Seems like it would be good so that everyone truly dedicated to the race can bunker down and all help each other... since the Zerg really is about numbers, shouldn't we as the players be as well? If anyone is interested let me know. :)Eli17 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Zerg, The Best Race In SC2 I Love Zerg. You should too.IgLoO6 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Speedlings & Mutas Anyone else notice how good these two work together against toss? Every match I play they either hard counter one or the other (more often then not its the speedlings) but the other steps up and mops them up. Since using this strat I haven't lost to a single toss (unless I screwed up my micro/macro major, but thats just cuz I suck)Datastream8 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Burrow Buildings it would be awesome if we can burrow our buildings so when banshees come they cant kill our buildings =PPP that would be awesome, or at least burrow the nydus worm ^_^ but of course, it has to disable the building's ability, or rather, have some underground spine crawler to replace lurkers ^_^PoisonedLun11 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Improve Zergling damage? These little guys are great in early game control and harassing, but once a the opponent produce adequate army size, these little guys become obsolete in many situation in combat. Even the unit that it supposively counter to can totally thrash them. The tier 3 upgrade is a joke. If any zerg even get to tier 3, upgrading that is just for kicks, there are better unit available. They have low HP, given that it's because of the large quantity you can produce these guys in. But the unit that it supposively counter, stalkers and marauders, have such high HP that lings just isnt killing that fast enough before all the lings die. Of course in a theoretical case, mass marauders vs mass lings would be in advantagous for zergs, but mix army just tear em to pieces. Roaches die to marauders faster than marauders to lings. Even if you want to produce lings with equal economic to that of a mass marauders or stalkers situation, often time, larva becomes the limiting factors in macroing. When the engagement comes, even if you defeat that army with the gigantic army of lings, you probably have lost so many lings that a counter attack proves unlikely effective. While if you compare the devastating effect Marauders countering roaches and having plenty of strength leftover to finish the zerg player off is really not doing justice. At least stalkers doesnt murder roaches to the extent of marauders thus even a lost battle to stalkers probably will leave the enemy with an inadequate army to effective counter attack. Thus, I think that zerglings need a damage increase vs armored units. 5 + 1 armor would be adequate. No bonus from upgrades. This increase would make lings kill armored unit like stalkers and marauders 20% faster. Gijian18 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Corrupters counter what pre-T3 AIR So.... I remember there was a thread before about whether Corrupter were our AA unit or not but are they REALLY only useful against the massive units (Carriers CattleBrusier Collosi and Broodlords) So if they dont have those 4 units should I just avoid them altogether (if Im not going BroLord?) since mass Muta is many times more frightening?Rat4 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Almost all units should be able to tunnel I know I'm only bronze, but most of the zerg units should be able to tunnel. ESPECIALLY BANELINGS, because they're mines imo. Thats their best usage and if they could move while burrowed you'd see a lot more resources sent to observers and ravens which should be done so Zerg has a better chance of evening out the battle, among maybe some other balance issues.sackyhack13 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Why Terran -deserves- to be OP and not Zerg Have you ever actually tried to play Terran? I have, and let me tell you what, playing Terran is -not- easy. Think for a moment about what you enjoy most about playing Zerg... its quiet, and calm, and you can hear your little drones munching away, and the Overlord sighs with reflective thought. On the other hand, the Terran player has to constantly listen to "AH YOU SCARED ME!" "Well butter my biscuit." "Its your dime." "Got a job for me?" "AH YOU SCARED ME!" "What's up?" "Well butter my biscuit." Man, if you are willing to listen to that crap over and over, then you are gonna need a flying medic and a stimpack to get you through the rest of your day. Lir45 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Kiting lings... It's annoying how easy it is for Terran to kite lings and blings! /end rant P.S. burrow wasn't researched in time because i was trying to be offensive...Laced11 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Small zerg buff idea. Creep blocks detection What do you thing about making Scans not reveal units who are burrowed on creep. Or any detection for that matter. The special purple goo is too thick to scan... It wouldn't do too much to change the game but it would allow easier zerg base defense and it would make creep even more essential to zerg. Scouting would still be viable as zerg buildings reveal army composition. Might make harassment too hard. Maybe have it as an uprgade, 100/100?ChronoDuncan7 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 What do we have to counter mass stalkers? I was watching the pro showmatch game #7 of DIMAGA vs KiWiKaKi and KiWiKaKi didn't even feel the need to go collosi, he just massed up stalkers the WHOLE game, nothing else other than 4 sentries and 1 observer and he competely obliterated the zerg professional player who massed the supposed counter to stalkers, there were even like 30 stalkers left after the final battle, so my question is.... what do we have to counter protoss teir 1 stalkers if they have max food stalkers with blink... and dont tell me hydras.. because slow hydras dont work against blinking stalkers.. nor do zerglings... against blinking stalkers. and niether do banelings against BLINKING stalkers.... and neither do ultralisk against BLINKING stalkers... and niether do Mutalisk against BLINKING stalkers....... and niether do infesters against BLINKING stalkers (they can still blink with fungal growth). So simply put, even if the zerg player has sick micro skills, there is nothing to take advantage of with zerg as far as micro goes when it comes to stalkers and sentries simply because nothing the zerg has offers the same level of micromanagement win capabilities of stalkers.... burrow wont let hydras move and no protoss gold and above is going to engage without a detector against zerg.DanTheLegend21 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Roach speed Why is it tier 2 when marauders get concussive shells at tier 1?Jamie6 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Zerg Team Strategies Hey all, I browse these forums on a semi-regular basis, and while I realize 1v1 is where it's at and where all the balance is centered at I actually enjoy playing team games like many other people do. However I don't think I've *ever* seen anything in the zerg forums on zerg teamplay. I don't have a lot of games under my belt but I have noticed several games where I appear to be the weak link. For example in most of my 2v2 games I am the one to get rushed because I can't wall off effectively. Or against Timed rushes such as the 4gate or 4rax or what have you I just can't pump out units at a matched pace without having an early expo. And of course there's the glaring issue of no "teleportation scrolls" so that you can readily have your ally there to help you fend off the attack, which is what I think most people consider the major imbalance of team games. So I come to the community to ask for some team-play tips or strategies. I realize that zerg are considered the "scout and counter" race or whatever but realistically it's much harder to scout 2, 3, or 4 players on a giant map and try to counter them all. Is there any build that you can rely on and simply make minor changes to in order to compensate for what your enemy or your allys are building? 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, let me know what you do! I'm specifically interested in zerg/toss 2v2 strategies or just general 4v4 strategies as that is what I usually play but I made this post for the community to read so all builds and tips are welcome.Grim1 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Loving Zerg so very much Now, I am by no means a great player, hell I might not even be average. But it sure as hell does feel great when you win a brutal battle as Zerg. Came back from the brink against a MM bioball. http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/77117-1v1-terran-zerg-steppes-of-war#rd:dna Anyone have any great comeback stories? Or any great "Holy crap I won" moments? I'd love to hear em! I'd also love some tips on how to suck less, thanks!Kirdayne4 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 1-base Roach vs. Protoss (#1 diamond replays) Just thought I'd share these replays of me using a 1-base roach build vs Protoss. Take a look. It's sort of an all-in, but it's very effective against a Protoss player who relies on their wall before they can get warp gates/stargate tech. http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/75875-1v1-protoss-zerg-kulas-ravine http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/75868-1v1-protoss-zerg-kulas-ravinevaLentine27 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 melee penalty i didn't see this idea anywhere but if any of you have ever played Heroes of Might and Magic you might know to what i am referring already. i think one way to improve zerg and nerf terran is to implement some kind of Melee penalty. This would mean any unit that does damage from a range not considered "melee" does less damage with a melee unit attacking it. I dont think this would effect air. i also believe air should be a support factor to a ground army and that massing voids (which i love to do) or battle cruisers shouldnt be a viable tactic. I also agree that auto casting spawn larvae would be amazing... just sayin'.Mopenn5 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 approximately how good are weapon upgrades? I rarely use them, because I don't know how good they are. Do they increase damage, range, attack speed? Or all 3? And if so, by how much?sean15 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Lower tier Zerg unit with +damage to armored Zerg could use a lower tier unit with bonus damage to armored units. Terran and Protoss have marauders and stalkers, respectively, which can be produced fairly early in the game. However, Zerg have to wait for ultralisks before getting any bonus damage. Spine crawlers have bonus damage to armored units, but they are primarily defensive structures. The bonus is nice, but it seems less important to put it on a defensive structure than to give it to a mobile unit. Roaches with bonus damage to armored units would be awesome since they're already spitting acid. However, since roaches have adopted somewhat of a tank role, it might be too much to add the bonus damage. One could counter argue that by bringing up how marauders are already a hybrid between a tank and DPS, so perhaps roaches with the bonus might be reasonable. Hydralisks with bonus damage to armored units could also be viable since their primary role is to deal damage. What are your thoughts on this idea?SmoteTheGoat4 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Im absolutley failing as zerg. I got sick of terran, playing toy soidiers just got boring. Ive been trying my ass off to figure out Zerg, but gd this is hard. What should I do.MommasBoy33 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Fungal Growth A useful ability I have to use more. But, a question...If you throw mulitple FG on a ball at once, is the damage cumulative? Or do you have to FG one by one?Aschen3 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 WTF when am i going to be DIAMOND!! I don't know what to do to be diamond i just beated like 6 diamond players in a row and i still didn't hit diamond and the only reason why i'm complaining is i just lost just now to another diamond player which broke my win streak. So just wondering how many diamond players did you guys have to face off before you hit diamond?Forklift6 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 epic baneling minefield i was playin a 2v2 game and managed to kill like 60 marines with banelings burrowed. skip to 2:50 for it, most def the most epic thing ive ever seen rofl http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s36UD_yU3zogarybreemen27 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Zerg vs terrain (mutas,corrupters and broodl) Can you look at this. i watched and im thinking bad timeing? but can you see any mistakes i shouldent have done. or not makeing things i should have. its about 30 mins. http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/77050-1v1-terran-zerg-delta-quadrantArbiter3 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 The turtling protoss I keep running across these Toss player who cannon up their main before putting up gateways. They're able to keep expansions also by cannoning up. The only real follow up is to spam VRs, and of course with multiple expos, he'll have a sizeable ground army mid-late game. Without giving me the "control the map" speech, how am I supposed to counter VR/Stalker/Cannon turtlers? I've tried brood lords and corruptors, but they are super fragile and prohibitively expensive (gas wise specifically) on top of being a really slow tech up (lair,spire, infestation pit, hive, greater spire, corruptor, broodlord = WTF). Maybe I'm microing wrong, but I dont feel corruptors can stand up to VRs... tehy keep letting my BLs die. Anyone have any insights? FOR THE SWARM!Pwnbblegum6 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 If u could be any zerg unit.. If you could be any zerg unit in the swarm what would you be. I would choose an Ultralisk cause they are big and powerful and i <3 their looks and portraitJotunheim35 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Bore Quit? Does letting a game to go on for an extra 30-40 minutes despite being able to win early on count as a cheese strat? I just played a 45 minute game vs Terran where I played very defensively and reactive to him, because I scouted early and determined that I was already probably a better than him before our first encounter, simply by watching him screw up his BO. I decided it'd be an excellent chance to practice some Micro, so despite being able to wipe the floor with a Muta Harass I instead did nothing but scout and counter the whole game. Long story short, it droned on for 40 minutes and I never once lost a major battle, eventually to the point where he just said "This is really boring" and left. Is this a legit strat?Monkeedude13 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Need help with macro (preparing for lategame) Can anyone give me some pointers and basic build orders focusing on having a strong force in the mid and late game? I normally play aggressive early play, 1 base speedling roach bust and all that jazz. It does work, but I feel that I need to broaden my horizons, especially for maps like Desert Oasis. I win the majority of my games in under 10 minutes and it's getting kinda boring. <_<LoLAdriankat7 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Looking for advice I played a ZvP just now and felt things were going well until I got flooded with stalkers. I knew they were coming, I simply wasn't sure what to do or what I was doing wrong. My gut tells me it was poor macro more than anything, because I was spending my money but by the time I got hit I found I was broke and without units. Just wondering if someone could give me some help, I was doing pretty well until this game! http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/77045-1v1-protoss-zerg-xelnaga-cavernsMoktor1 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Ack! I accidentally clicked on Terran Forums. I feel so dirty. :(Pandora3 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Make Infestors T1 Units I think a simple modification could really balance ZvT and ZvP. Make Infestors T1 units. Now you may need to tweak this so it's not overbalanced, but I think this would be perfect. You open up new strategies in the early game against the most difficult pushes from zealots and marine/marauders, and ZvZ becomes much more interesting. You can leave the upgrades as T2. Essentially what you get is a squishy early spellcaster that can use Fungal Growth or Infested Terran. Given their cost and the time required to build energy, I don't see this as being OP. Now, instead of choosing between baneling bust or roach defense, you can put together a small attack force of speedling + infestor and push out. You could use FG to delay incoming attacks to your fast expansion, or to delay air rushes. Or you can build a few roaches + 2-3 infestors instead of 15+ roaches to defend and focus on macro. Thoughts?Josiwe11 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Overseer Transport Useful? Any reason I should spring for upgrading overseers to use as transports? Only, Nydus Worms are the more obvious choice, and they seem almost infinitely more effective. In what cases should I use overseers instead of worms?Crimson9 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 As a terran... ...I don't think the Ultralisk needs a damage reduction. It's the zerg's anti-armor unit, and I just don't follow the logic behind it. Blizzard gave a couple reasons for it. The first was that it was a comparable nerf to the battlecruiser and seige tank nerf. Bwuh? Just because you nerf a couple things in one race, doesn't mean every other race needs a comparable nerf. You change things because of a particular reason, not because of bandwagon logic. I mean, following that train of thought, shouldn't carriers be nerfed too? I mean, if cruisers and ultras are getting nerfed, then carriers should too right? See how silly that sounds? And the other big reason they gave was that there are no effective ground counters against them. Now, this is a valid reason. Or it would be if it was true. Both other races have excellent ground counters against ultralisks. Ghosts using snipe are devastatingly effective versus ultralisks, (and don't make the argument that no one makes ghosts versus zerg, that's dumb. You'd have plenty of time to get them before ultras, and they have other uses, such as sniping mutas, EMPing or sniping infestors, and the occasional nuke). And on the protoss side of things, there's immortals, which *%%% both ultras and roaches (and buildings).Loupgarou8 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 PHOTON RUSH ON HATCH Anybody experience this yet as Zerg? Protoss Builds Pylons and Photons to surround the Hatch as soon as their Forge is up? At first it kind of freaks you out. Hehe Stay cool and realize they spent all their resources into the rush. I just ignored the cannons and rally point my Zerglings into their base. Get a drone out to build another Hatch at the expansion, if can. iPhopia8 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 creep tumors what is preventing blizzard from giving us an active creep tumor button?RedHat7 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 Pushed back to 1 base What to do? I have some serious problems when I'm boxed in to 1 base with bunkers or photo cannons.... I know Nydus, overlord drops blah blah.... Just wondering what other Zerg's do to get out of the box. It's really bad vs Terran when they sit tanks on the lower level and molest your ground troops. Muta's seem to be expensive and get me killed even If I get to his mineral line. :/ Just looking for tips or anything like ideas. Sinfulvoid12 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 A Discovery About Phoenixes Today while playing, I dawned upon a solution to the irksome thing that is the phoenix! I seriously hated and lost to every toss that went fast phoenix and later brought in colossi. I was at a complete loss as to how to respond. 1) Phoenixes counter mutas as they can fire while moving, have greater range, and move faster than mutas. Thus, with the proper micro mutas get shredded by phoenixes. 2) Corruptors are too slow even though they take less damage and can take more hits than mutas. Hydras are pretty useless too since colossi will just burn them up. However, while playing today, I figured out how to completely destroy the strat. While a toss may come here and read this... I think it's a risk I'm willing to take. The way I dealt with phoenixes was to make a combined muta/corruptor army. While it takes a lot of resources, since you need 1 muta per phoenix at least, and also at least 8 corruptors, it WILL stop the phoenixes. Basically what I did was make 5-7 spore crawlers at each base and expo (by expoing like mad it's easy to support the minerals for it) while massing a muta/corruptor force. Instead of trying to defend against phoenix hit and runs, what I did was go STRAIGHT for a base assault. With a critical mass of mutas, photon cannons and stalkers are nothing, and besides, both corruptors and mutas move fast enough to dodge stalkers, even with blink. This effectively counters phoenixes as well, since it destroys their mobility. The phoenixes cannot attack your base effectively because of the spore crawlers, and they must be used to defend the protoss base under attack. However, since your combined muta and corruptor army can decimate the phoenixes rather quickly (with the mutas being the primary dps and corruptors spamming corruption), you have destroyed the phoenix advantage of superior mobility. You're fighting them on your terms when you're in their base, as the hit and run tactics that make phoenixes outclass your air units are useless when you're attacking their base (lose the units, or lose the base?) Lemme know what you diamond and platinum zerg players think.Vanguard8 Sep 10, 2010
Sep 10, 2010 What if units could burrow UNDER buildings? In your opinion, would this be overpowered? Currently units can burrow under forcefields. What if roaches and infestors could burrow underneath wall ins.Sphinxks3 Sep 10, 2010