Zerg Discussion

Sep 9, 2010
Roach - Would you trade meat for range? For 1.5 units Marauder - 100/25 -- 6 range 125/0 hp Roach - 75/25 -- 3 range 145/0 hp Stalker - 125/50 -- 6 range 80/80 hp/shield Whenever I try to use roaches, it seems the biggest single flaw of them is range... Marauders when in a ball can easily stack up massive damage because they can attack in rows Stalkers also can, but they ALSO hit air, and can blink after upgrading. Roaches, however, have to be EXTREMELY close for a ball of them to do damage.. I have seen roaches do massive damage if you can get say 25 roaches under a protoss army and unburrow, so every single roach is hitting, but observers and scans->ravens make this not possible. Stalkers have a movement skill (blink), Marauders have movement AND damage skill (stim), and roach have... a gimped form of cloak.. Roaches are supposed to be Zergs front line infantry. Marine/Marauder, Zealot/Stalker, Zergling/Roach. But their "skill" burrow and hp regen isn't really useful in actual battle.. If you burrow, you can tank psi storms and stuff, but that comes after T2 upgrades, and you cannot DO DAMAGE while underground... If you go under, and they got an observer, your just dying while no longer doing damage. My main question is, would you guys trade say 20 hp for an extra 3 range? I just REALLY don't see why roaches have such short range when compared to stalkers and marauders.. Zealots at least are beefy. Roaches are armored, which basically means they take MORE damage than every other unit (lol wut?) Seraph7
Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010
Defeating the Four Gate Hey everyone. I'm relatively new to these forums (silent stalker)... and I don't think people are happy with Zerg, lol. But... Question! Recently, I've lost most of my Protoss matches too all of the same strategy; four gate for mass stalkers and some zealots. (zealots take care of lings... while stalkers just chew through everything else) I've tried mass lings (lol blink and sentry force field block). And Protoss players are very good at keeping their stalkers together! Banelings - well, no damage on stalkers really... Roaches - Stalkers do added damaged to them. ;S.. and they can tech to void rays wayyy too easily from this point. Since stalkers aren't that mineral and gas intensive, while I'm trying to defend my base, they keep on the pressure and can still tech... eek~ Mutalisks - Four gate stalkers take wayyy less gas than these buds. No way to outmass them. Hydras - Er, probably the best bet... Except their sentries stop a much of the incoming damage and they later tech to colossi :( So, I figure, "Hey! These T1 and T2 units can't beat stalkers! I'll try something more powerful!" Brood lords - At first, these did great... that is until the wall of hydras and lings in front of them died quickly to the colossi @_@. I did focus fire the colossi with these buds, but it wasn't fast enough to get rid of them... Ultralisks - It might just be me, but these died wayyyy too fast to the mass stalkers. Maybe I couldn't upgrade in time? But, no, I really haven't found a use for these kiddos yet. Corruptors - Er, desperation at it's best against the stalker - colossi combo. Don't try this, it won't work. Bottom line, any ideas? :D I mean, even desperate ideas that *work* against four gate - gas block, 6 pool, etc etc? XD I'm stuck @_@ Sironigous12
Sep 9, 2010
Storyline: Hope for the Swarm in HotS? WARNING: SPOILERS!!!!! EEEK!! Alright, now that my fair warning is out of the way, let's talk about the current status of the Swarm. We all know what happened to the Queen of Blades at the end of the campaign. She went from the fearless, cold, ruthless leader we loved to obey to a weak human again. Whether she still maintains any semblance of control over the Zerg is yet to be determined, but let's hope against that, because I think I speak for most of us when I say that I don't want the Swarm to become a pawn of the Terrans and Protoss in the fight against the hybrids. No, I think there is a much greater path for the Zerg. Do you remember the cerebrate you played in Brood War? Kerrigan killed all of the other cerebrates, but there is no mention of what happened to this fellow, and I can't see a reason why she would have destroyed her most faithful servant (and probably the only entity she could converse with on the lonely world of Char.) If it still lives, this cerebrate could still maintain a very low level of function, perhaps enough to control zerglings and roaches for awhile, until it rallies enough Overlords and perhaps even finds a way to spawn new cerebrates and gains the ability to control more types of Zerg. At this point, our cerebrate friend could resume the galactic conquest we know we all want the Zerg to embark upon, while simultaneously teaming up with Raynor and the Protoss to fight off the forces of the Void here and there. What do you think? Is SC2: HotS going to be the cheesiest game ever, following the most cliched possible storyline, or are we going to see a return to conquest? Mike13
Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010
How to deal with ZVP 2/4gate 1100+ diamond zvp is my best mu I always go 14gas13pool 15ol 16 drone PULL drones off gas right at 100 gas queen at 16 Ling at 18 drone till 21 then expo and this is where people eff up big time. People start to produce mass drones. At most make another 4 drones but your first larva after inject should be all speedlings. Don't forget ol after nat expo at 21 or 22. But for 4 gate after you produce your 4 drones after the first inject of speedlings you should have about 150 minerals for another queen do another inject (this inject is for the 4 drones) and walk your queen and transfer 5 or so drones down to your nat. You'll be about 5-7 harvesters behind BUT you'll be mining more efficiently. Pump mass lings and get a roach Warren up. When roach warren is building get 3 drones back on gas and start another extractor and build 2 more drones. When the other extractor pops 1 drone on that gas so 4 drones mining gas in total. It's more then enough to pump a few roaches. When you have roach and lings wait outside your base so you're in a wide area. Crawlers are NOT needed and screw with the build cause you lose drones + minerals. Keep your units separate. Roaches vs zealot lings flank to kill sentries and stalkers. After you crush his first push macro like no tomorrow. You'll refine it as you go. You'll know if he's 4 gating by his unit composition at his ramp. Have fun! http://www.sc2replayed.com/players/32379-victor#replay ^replays of zvp when toss 2/4 gates too many posts asking the same questions how to deal with 2/4gate so i figured i might as well give everyone an answer and if i see someone asking a question ill just bump the thread. Victor8
Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010
if you would like to test my mod / balance. After watching another attempt to adjust / change zerg. i decided to tweak with the units myself. First time using this new map editor. Getting used to the publishing feature it has. So if you have trouble downloading / accessing just let me know. About the changes: First i inputed all the changes blizz has planned (so far) for patch 1.1 Second are my changes that i decided to put in. Units Hydras speed has been increased to 2.5 Hydra range increased to 6 (up from 5) Health for Hydra also increased to 90 (from 85) Roaches now cost 1 supply Now also get +4 to armored. Making it 16/20 (vs armored) Ultra's Damage radius was increased slightly so that their attack will acctually hit 2 buildings that are side by side (the effect on units is slight, so instead of hitting 2 SCVs they hit 3 side by side) Buildings Spire now takes 75seconds to construct (down from 100) I did experiment with really buffing roaches, such as giving them 2 armor as well and 5 range instead of 3. I quickly discovered that mass roaches with those buffs would be insane. So i just gave them a +4 bonus vs armored, and cost 1 supply instead of 2. (1v1 agianst a marauder they still loose, but more of a fighting chance when you have a lot of them thanks to 1 food supply) ***How to download if you want to try it out*** Go to Multiplayer Tab, Click on Create Custom Game In the *Search By Name" Box, type in Testing Zerg Balance. The Author should be Ganthore (right now its the only map with that name). Tell me what you guys think, what further balance changes you feel might be needed, and what is overpowered (i want to make game as balanced as possible) Also lemme know on what bugs you might find ***esspecially the siege tank, i didnt realize how hard blizz made it just to change the dang things damage output*** Hope you guys enjoy! PS: If the map can not be found, i will republish it, lemme know. Ganthore21
Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010
Are We Doing It Wrong?: Hatches and Queens For the people who will stop reading and discount my theory due to my league I will save you the trouble: I have been stuck in Bronze since the beta and am not getting out soon. Ok, now that those jerks are gone, I have some ideas about why our race struggles and what we as players can do to be better other than come here and commiserate with one another about how painful our beloved swarm can be to play. These ideas will not be popular because from what I read and even see in pro level replays, it is not what the community considers to be the "right" way to do things. Regardless, bear with me, I have reasoning behind it all. Here are a list of common and uncommon complaints about our race. Obvious stuff like us losing even supply/cost battles is not here, because I believe those are things we have to live with and are part of how we are SUPPOSED to work: 1. Our macro is a serious pain. 2. We struggle to have the larvae we need to manage our early game. 3. Queen is nothing but a hatchery add on. 4. Creep is too much of a pain to spread and temporarily keeps us from spawning larvae due to energy constraints. 5. No legitimate way to heal units and structures for same reason as #4 above. 6. No early AA 7. Need to be on multiple bases to keep up with enemy production. 8. We need 3 bases minimum to be more swarmy than a Terran or Protoss opponent on 1 base. 9. Limited build space in our main due to small starting creep radius. I believe that there may be some mis-conceptions about how are race is to be played that create these problems and that they could all be fixed with 2 minor tweaks to how we play: 1. Make an early second hatchery, but instead of fast expanding to a new, less defensible mineral patch, place it in your main. 2. Birth 2 queens per hatchery instead of 1, at least for the hatcheries in your main. Please don't stop reading!! I am going to go explain myself. We have a lot to manage to macro properly, everything comes from this one resource we call larva, which we have precious little of at the start of a match. Our supply giving "structure", our army, and our drones, which not only do our econ but are also consumed to build buildings, (requiring us to constantly replace them) all require larva. Powering out enough drones to have a healthy economy, while having enough to sacrifice for buildings, while not getting supply choked AND building an early army for scouting and defense is a balancing act the other races simply do not have to endure. When we follow this mantra of "Fast expand or die!" we literally double the length of time we will be tied up doing this balancing act at the games start. We spend 300 minerals for a new hatch, then 150 more for a queen and leave them hanging out in the open when we dont have a mobile army of decent size to defend it and then instead of at least using it to help us kick our army production into gear to catch up to the terran and toss players (who by now have 3 and 4 production structures out) we spend the next 5 minutes doing the same exact painful juggling act. Between the initial 450 investment and the cost of a whole new set of drones and OL's required to have supply for them, do you know how long it will be before you break even and start actually NETTING minerals? Longer than you have. (cont'd) Magnus78
Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010 Sep 9, 2010