The ULTIMATE SC2 Optimization & FPS Guide 2.0

Technical Support
Prev 1 2 3 7 Next
First of all, great guide. 2nd, there are a lot of spelling errors you should probably correct (mainly same sounding words with different spellings EG; Course;;coarse , waist;; waste type of stuff).

Anyway, I have a couple of questions: Firstly what do the other variables.txt edits do? The first 16bit one has the video that makes sense etc, but what does the other stuff do?
creepnormalmap=0
creepQuality=0
creeptrans=0

frameratecap=70
frameratecapGlue=30

@VaderSeven
You said wanted to disable the shinny glow on stuff with your settings, you can try these.
hdr = 0
spec = 0

If you did not disable shadows, try these to improve performance.
parallaxshadow=0
shadowmapsize=512 (shadow detail. You can also try 256 or 128.)
softshadows=0
softshadowTaps=6
transparentshadows=0 (Major change for ATI Radeon. cloaked units get normal shadows instead of transparent.)

fog= 0
normalmap=0

2ndly, I could not find the power management options for nvidia control panel. Your description of how to find it is rather vague. Can you please be more specific?

3rd, Can I use LAA if I increase my pagefile to 4gb of ram? Currently I have like 2gb ddr2 and my pagefile is set pretty low as was set by a computer friend of mine. What should this be at to compensate and allow sc2 to run better?

4th, Where is utilities in razer gamer booster? Where is tweak?
creepnormalmap=0
creepQuality=0
creeptrans=0

This lowers the quality of the creep. As you know, creep is animated, so it takes more resources.

frameratecap=70
frameratecapGlue=30

This will help out with some weird frame rate issues, and may increase your frame rate a small amount, not sure why.

parallaxshadow=0
shadowmapsize=512 (shadow detail. You can also try 256 or 128.)
softshadows=0
softshadowTaps=6
transparentshadows=0 (Major change for ATI Radeon. cloaked units get normal shadows instead of transparent.)

These lower the quality of shadows if you don't want to out-right disable them

12/01/2013 11:38 AMPosted by SpoR
2ndly, I could not find the power management options for nvidia control panel. Your description of how to find it is rather vague. Can you please be more specific?

To get to the Nvidia control panel, right click on your desktop and select it.
In "manage 3D settings" select the stacraft.exe from the drop down or add it to the menu. Then scroll down in the options until you find "power management mode" set that to "prefer maximum performance" and apply.

3rd, Can I use LAA if I increase my pagefile to 4gb of ram? Currently I have like 2gb ddr2 and my pagefile is set pretty low as was set by a computer friend of mine. What should this be at to compensate and allow sc2 to run better?

When you have less that 4GB of physical RAM, having a page file that is double the size is beneficial. in preventing crashes. LAA will not do you any good because you don't have enough RAM. But to increase your page file to 4GB, follow these instructions.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/change-the-size-of-virtual-memory
You want the min and max values to be the same.

4th, Where is utilities in razer gamer booster? Where is tweak?

If you use XP, then you have a different version of RGB than I do. Try looking around for options or settings.
Cool, thanks. I don't see :
frameratecap=70
frameratecapGlue=30
in the txt file. I assume you have to create them? When I'm in game I generally tend to get a pretty decent frame rate (maybe like 130~) but it does fluctuate to lower sometimes.
I might try this as last resort.

There is no power management mode for nvidia. I have the latest version installed.
http://i.imgur.com/P3i8dhK.jpg

I also could not find CPU power management options in CMOS/BIOS

PS- the windows link for page file change is for vista, doesn't work for XP. However, I figured it out anyways I think. And 4096 = 4gb right?

And here is the thread I made about my issues that I'm trying to resolve. www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=436664#15
Ok, so I started to play with most of the modifications done (besides the ones I listed above) and the unparking core thing. And something happened. The game didn't seem to be lagging (usually doesn't first game anyways) but my mouse speed seemed to be a bit faster. So I changed it from the normal 72% to 62% but obviously this would mess up the bitdepth=16 mod. When I changed and saved it, it resized and changed my resolution for whatever reason (it was all stretched and widescreen?). So I go back to the options and the resolution is set to blank. There is no option selected even though it says fullscreen.

So I change it back to the lowest option (I think 1024x768?) and play out the rest of the game np. Now when the next game loads its back to the horrible stuttering lag again. So I just exited and I'm going to try this again after fixing the bitdepth and hopefully my mouse and reso stay normal.

edit- ugh.. First game fine (as usual). 2nd game, 5hitty stuttering lag. (no settings issues this time though).
Why does the game run fine, and then all the sudden run worse? Do I need to run preloader after every match? Do I need to exit the game after every match? That is a huge pain in the a55.

Unfortunately this probably means that all these things you have laid out in this thread do absolutely nothing. I will try the unparking cores thing and see what happens.

edit- I click the button for check status and it searches and then finishes searching but nothing pops up. All I can do is click check status again...
From googling, I assume the corepark bs is just for newer OS and when I look at task manager (even though it looks a lot different and doesn't say CPU1 CPU2, I do see 2 windows of CPU useage firing away so I don't think I have this anyway.
Cool, thanks. I don't see :
frameratecap=70
frameratecapGlue=30
in the txt file. I assume you have to create them?

Yeah.
However, I figured it out anyways I think. And 4096 = 4gb right?

Yup
12/01/2013 05:18 PMPosted by SpoR
Why does the game run fine, and then all the sudden run worse? Do I need to run preloader after every match? Do I need to exit the game after every match? That is a huge pain in the a55.

Probably because you don't have enough RAM and are experiencing memory shortage, maybe leakage. That's just how it's going to be with 2GB of RAM. Plus, XP manages it's resources like crap compared to windows 7 and 8. Starcraft II was not designed to run on XP.

Me thinks it's time for an upgrade.

edit- I click the button for check status and it searches and then finishes searching but nothing pops up. All I can do is click check status again...
From googling, I assume the corepark bs is just for newer OS and when I look at task manager (even though it looks a lot different and doesn't say CPU1 CPU2, I do see 2 windows of CPU useage firing away so I don't think I have this anyway.

That or you don't have any parked cores, dual cores mostly don't.
What is memory shortage and leakage? I think I have figured out a treatment, but not a solution. If I run unit preloader before every ladder game it don't get the stutter lag. This tells me there is something wrong with the game, not my hardware.
Well, both. 2 GB is nor a lot of RAM for SC2. The more memory it calls to use, the less you have sitting around. SC may be keeping RAM it does not need, causing your game to get worse over time. The unit preloader does help out with this thankfully.
Still doesn't make sense. The game runs perfectly fine for the first game after the preloader. And after I play that game again, if I run the preloader, the game runs fine again.

So essentially there is some problem with blizzards game on lower ram systems that causes them to have this ungodly stutter lag that could be fixed by them, instead of 1000s of customers having to buy more ram.
And since my system runs on DDR2 ram, it's a hell of a lot more expensive than the newer DDR3/4 ram. And I can't just buy a new board, because then I need a new CPU, and more ram etc.

PS- I mean obviously they know what the issue is and can fix it because the preloader MAP has been around for years. They can easily fix this and it's bull!@#$ that they ignore it.
12/02/2013 01:34 PMPosted by SpoR
Still doesn't make sense. The game runs perfectly fine for the first game after the preloader. And after I play that game again, if I run the preloader, the game runs fine again.

Preloader refills the RAM, and will cause the unnecessary stuff to go away considering you only have 2GB and so much to spare. It's hard to explain because I did not make the game or the unit preloader. All I do know, is that if you want to completely avoid this issue, you should get more RAM, or an overall upgrade.

The RGB does help with this, but you can only go so far on that kind of hardware.

So essentially there is some problem with blizzards game on lower ram systems that causes them to have this ungodly stutter lag that could be fixed by them, instead of 1000s of customers having to buy more ram.
And since my system runs on DDR2 ram, it's a hell of a lot more expensive than the newer DDR3/4 ram. And I can't just buy a new board, because then I need a new CPU, and more ram etc.

PS- I mean obviously they know what the issue is and can fix it because the preloader MAP has been around for years. They can easily fix this and it's bull!@#$ that they ignore it.

Starcraft 2 is not optimized incredibly well. But it is what it is, hardware gets better, so does the demand or hardware. I'm sure they could make SC2 use memory better. And I can ask about that. But you are also using XP, which does not use resources as well compared to windows 7 or 8.

It seems like they need to have something that will empty the RAM of everything SC2 related that does not need to be there anymore, allowing your full amount usable of RAM left for your next game.

But listen, it's 2013 and you're on XP with 2GB of DDR2. Your hardware is old and can only go so far. I understand the restrictions of a budget, but an upgrade should be on your mind. I can help you out a lot with that.

The guide will increase your FPS a decent deal considering your hardware, but it won't completely fix the issues caused by physical limitations of your hardware.
Got any extra ddr2 ram laying around I'd love to give it a shot and actually see if that even helps? This is what I have currently: x2 OCZ gold ddr2 800 pc2 6400 RAM 1gb , Gigabyte p35 dsr3 Mobo

PS- Also, before this issue and even during I can run the game on Ultra settings with really no issues other that the stuttering thing which is sort of unrelated. In fact the factory recommendation always puts me on ultra everything if I use it. I just choose to run on low because I don't really care about graphics (I would have been fine with sc2 being non 3D) as I am a hardcore competitive gamer first. And the pretty colors and extras are just distracting anyways.

edit- the stuff you said about the ram: http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=368&game=StarCraft%20II:%20Heart%20of%20the%20Swarm

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/starcraft-ii-system-requirements
If I meet and exceed requirements it shouldn't be a problem. Should I open a support/complaint ticket?
Reasonably, you should have 4GB of RAM to play things optimally. I'm sure more RAM would help. But, this is not an issue entirely specific to your hardware, though it's a contributing cause. The game stutter occurs to plenty of people, just more often with older hardware.

You can try like a RAM clearing button or something, that'd be easier that running the unit preloader, though not as effective.
What is a ram clearing button? Do you have a program for that or something?
I just tested this one out, you can give it a try. I'm not sure if this will help, but if I'm right about the cause of your issue, then it should work.

When you install the program, I recommend you take a look at some of the settings and set it up how you want. If I were you, I'd disable it's auto-cleaning mode and just use it manually. Whatever you find works best.

Here is a link directly to the file, I scanned it with 3 different scanners and tested it myself.

http://dw.cbsi.com/redir?edId=3&siteId=4&oId=3000-2086_4-10070530&ontId=2086_4&spi=ae2036cbe02dda792813f7db0e81b805&lop=link&tag=tdw_dltext&ltype=dl_dlnow&pid=10516960&mfgId=85179&merId=85179&pguid=Up4sRwoOYJAAADUvXZYAAADQ&ttag=dl_dldirect&ctype=language&cval=en&destUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fdownload.cnet.com%2F3001-2086_4-10070530.html%3Fspi%3Dae2036cbe02dda792813f7db0e81b805%26dlm%3D0

Hope it helps!
Either the preloader thing was just a coincidence or it doesn't work for 2v2 ladder. Or maybe it was just a coincidence all together.

Checking your latest post now. I actually googled that program from your earlier post, and you can DL it straight from the creator's website rather than that cnet link. http://www.yourwaresolutions.com/software.html

I'm not exactly sure what all the settings do or how I am supposed to use this program. I just click 'Go!' after every ladder match or something?
I guess so, because that will manually clean up the RAM, hopefully leaving the optimal amount for your next game to be smooth. Take a look at some settings if you want, but the defaults are probably just fine.
I noticed that my blizzard cache folder looks like this:
http://i.imgur.com/zK3d1PG.jpg

Is it safe to delete this crap? And could this be the cause?

edit- deleted. Gonna check the game out now.

edit2- Ok, so It didn't help. After a few ladder games (without messing with preloader at all except the first time before anything) It was just random. I played 4 games and 2 reps, Nolag, Lag, Nolag, Nolag, Lag, Lag. After that I did a little test. I played 10 unranked 1v1s in a row. And just marked the L or N if it had the stutter. LNNLN LLNNL. So it seems to be pretty well randomized to around 50% of the time it will have the stutter. I also asked the opposite player if he felt any lag and 8/10 said no lag at all (and the other 2 said like barely or not as severe as my lag).

As a side note, I don't know how to press the Go! button on the FreeRamXpPro when RGB is running because it doesn't let me see any programs. In fact right now after closing it, I can't see the window or the taskbar minimization even though it is running. I would like to test it and see if it can help.
Yes, you can delete the cache. It may help.

Try the game without the booster, and simply test the button.
I was lagging really bad so I tried to press the button during a game. It caused my screen to be black/unable to tab back in. And the other players dropped me. Bnet didn't drop me though.
:(
It empties to much!

Well that sucks. I'm going to peek around the forum history for other possible solutions, please check back at the thread linked to below sometime tomorrow.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/10827932824#1