When to attack?

Protoss Discussion
Post Limit:
Hello everyone. I usually end my games early, with a blow that gets 4 to 5 of his workers before 8 minutes and they leave.

Anyway, some games last a long time. I scout with my observers (am strictly protoss) I have everything hotkeyed, memorized, put control groups to different units and am very good at multitasking. However, I have been getting put up against people with higher mmr and harder people in general for the past day or two and I wanted to know. When should I attack as protoss? What are some good times to attack by. Anything I can look out for?

I usually attack at 7:30 most of the time regardless of what I have. Which is usually 4 - 5 zealots, some stalkers and working on weapons upgrades I for them all. I have been waiting for the upgrades to finish before I go in. However I have been thinking maybe I should go when it's halfway done and be right by his door when it's about to finish then go in?

The thing is, especially vs Terran if he has a wall up, and I can't break it. He just chills behind there. Yes I expand tremendously when he does that. But then the little bugger gets 8 - 10 medvacs and they just heal his MM ball. I warp in all I can and keep timing attack but sometimes I get overwhelmed.

Could you give me some suggestions maybe as to when to attack better earlier in the game so I can cripple the enemy and not give them too much leverage to get to the point of a big mmm ball. I CAN"T stand that.

p.s. I HATE HOSE DARNED WALLS!!! ;_;
I normally attack at about 8-9 minutes, and I try to bring a few Sentries and a Warp Prism along.

Warp Prism to get past/get him away from his wall, Sentries to Forcefield SCVs off the Bunker/units into my Zealots. Sometimes I'll bring an Immortal along to bust it down, and sometimes I'll attack at about 9:30 instead with DT tech to warp into his base.

(note that's all off of 2 bases, with a 3rd base during the attack or following it up)

Usually it does damage mostly to the natural or just wins. However, after that (assuming it isn't a win), I usually get plenty of Chargelots and some Colossi with some Archon or Sentry support to finish off any force he would have.

If it goes later than that, I try to add High Templar and a few Immortals. Eventually for me it's usually Colossus/Zealot/Immortal/Archon/High Templar against Marine/Marauder/Medivac/Viking/Ghost if it gets that late.

Better players than I would probably say to add some Stalkers to kill some Vikings by then, I might have to start doing that.

And maybe what I do isn't viable higher up. Best to listen to some Diamonds and Masters probably, or even study some Grandmasters and pro players.
Are you teching up? It sounds like you're using strictly warpgate, which loses to bio once medivacs and upgrades are out. Colossus and high templar will destroy terrans in lower leagues, simply because they don't have the micro to beat it (I don't have the micro to consistently beat it personally).

Generally, you'll be able to tech up to one of those paths on two bases and both on three. High templar, I think, would be great for containing your opponent on one base, as they'd have to exit through the ramp which would leave them clumped up and vulnerable to storms.
11/02/2013 12:30 AMPosted by Astral
Generally, you'll be able to tech up to one of those paths on two bases and both on three. High templar, I think, would be great for containing your opponent on one base, as they'd have to exit through the ramp which would leave them clumped up and vulnerable to storms.

Anyone decent, even as far as Gold standards, will have a second base secured before you have High Templar, unless somehow you manage to deny it beforehand.
Thank you all for you tips :) I will keep practicing. Thank you.