The Hell With Terran Damage Output

Protoss Discussion
I must be missing something. I roll in with a fully upgraded deathball and get disintegrated.

I mix up units, try new compositions and pretty much everything I know to do for my experience level, and my armies get destroyed relatively instantly against Terran. It's like I can't even engage because I know I will lose 30 units in about 3 seconds. Wtf am I doing wrong?

I mean, I know I'm new, but I also know when something is off. This doesn't make sense.

Do I need to just roll with 20 sentries?
Fully upgraded protoss deathball should melt pretty much any terran army in 3 seconds.

So maybe you aren't actually making the right composition for a "deathball", or your macro is behind making your army significantly smaller compared to you opponents, or your micro results in less efficiency then a-moving.
I must be missing something. I roll in with a fully upgraded deathball and get disintegrated.

I mix up units, try new compositions and pretty much everything I know to do for my experience level, and my armies get destroyed relatively instantly against Terran. It's like I can't even engage because I know I will lose 30 units in about 3 seconds. Wtf am I doing wrong?

I mean, I know I'm new, but I also know when something is off. This doesn't make sense.

Do I need to just roll with 20 sentries?

PvT is a tough matchup, Terran units do a lot of damage really quickly which is hard to deal with in lower leagues. Focus on keeping your army together, don't let parts of it get picked off, and keep up with upgrades. It's harder for the Protoss in big engagements, you have to land forcefields and keep your important units protected, while they just press stim and A-move. Its frustrating but youll get the hang of it.

Goodluck!
PvT is a tough matchup, Terran units do a lot of damage really quickly which is hard to deal with in lower leagues. Focus on keeping your army together, don't let parts of it get picked off, and keep up with upgrades. It's harder for the Protoss in big engagements, you have to land forcefields and keep your important units protected, while they just press stim and A-move. Its frustrating but youll get the hang of it.

Goodluck!

51 minutes ago

Are you serious? Try the HotS unit tester. Make an army of 20-30 zealots, 4-5 archons, 5-8 stalkers, and 3-4 collosi( 130 or something supply worth) 0 vs 50-60 marine, 10-15 maruder, 8 viking, 4 medivac and 1-2 tanks(also around 130). The only micro you're allowed to do is A-move and stim for terran. Watch as the protoss army rolls through the terran army. All upgrades researched (except armor for protoss, since most protoss don't get these upgrades anyways).The PvT w:l ratio for most players is often 60% or higher.

My suggestion to the OP is that you should focus more on macro rather than micro. The only units you should be microing, as protoss, are your high templar for storms and feedback and maybe stalkers for blink. Honestly, when I play PvT I feel sorry for the terran in lower leagues, cause storms are just so strong. When I play TvP, I feel scared to even vs chargelots with splash damage support.

I checked your profile and it says you're in bronze. Honestly, In bronze, just learn how to deal with cheese, and macro up like crazy. That's how any race beats the other race. Yes, including un-upgraded marines vs zerg who has a better economy, and makes bane lings to counter it.

Goodluck!

51 minutes ago

Are you serious? Try the HotS unit tester. Make an army of 20-30 zealots, 4-5 archons, 5-8 stalkers, and 3-4 collosi( 130 or something supply worth) 0 vs 50-60 marine, 10-15 maruder, 8 viking, 4 medivac and 1-2 tanks(also around 130). The only micro you're allowed to do is A-move and stim for terran. Watch as the protoss army rolls through the terran army. All upgrades researched (except armor for protoss, since most protoss don't get these upgrades anyways).The PvT w:l ratio for most players is often 60% or higher.

My suggestion to the OP is that you should focus more on macro rather than micro. The only units you should be microing, as protoss, are your high templar for storms and feedback and maybe stalkers for blink. Honestly, when I play PvT I feel sorry for the terran in lower leagues, cause storms are just so strong. When I play TvP, I feel scared to even vs chargelots with splash damage support.

I checked your profile and it says you're in bronze. Honestly, In bronze, just learn how to deal with cheese, and macro up like crazy. That's how any race beats the other race. Yes, including un-upgraded marines vs zerg who has a better economy, and makes bane lings to counter it.

You're forgetting how crucial forcefields are, it's hard to land good timely forcefields without a LOT of practice, I remember being in bronze->Gold, PvT was my toughest matchup, I always missed my forcefields by a pixel and the terran just amoved into me and won. It's a tough to be on top of stuff like that when you're learning. No reason to come on here to balance complain when he's struggling with a matchup that you feel is imbalanced.
It depends upon the stage of the game and the units you have.

Prior to stim/ concussive you can engage pretty much at will
Post the above, prior to medivacs you need good forcefields to win
Post medivacs you must have splash damage (colossus/ high templar with storm).
Post ghost/viking you must have splash damage of the second type.

After you get HTs and Colossus along with a large number of either zealots (preferred if no hellbats are on the field) or stalkers (preferred only to kill vikings if you're colossus heavy...or there are hellbats) you're pretty good for the late game.

It comes down to spreading HTs to hope that a few survive to storm, keeping multiple observers around the deathball to find/kill ghosts, and doing whatever other micro you feel you need to maximize your victory: because you should win when your entire composition is anti-light units and the opponent is still building light units exclusively.

If you've still got spare actions, you might do multiple drops around the map with a couple of warp prisms to kick the crap out of your opponent (while he's down) after he loses his entire army in the middle of the map.

Good luck and enjoy your improvement!
BlackStarESP, go ahead and upload that replay of the deathball you created. I will check it out and let you know what went wrong.

Edit: I also want to mention if you are maxed out and start to float a lot of resources, build a bunch of Stargates. Terran has problems dealing with a strong AirToss so if you need to remax they will get wiped to the floor.
11/12/2013 07:38 AMPosted by Bribe
Terran has problems dealing with a strong AirToss so if you need to remax they will get wiped to the floor.

Maybe if you make like 10 Carriers at once, or they're going Mech or have bad lategame production. Marines can counter everything Skytoss except mass Carrier, which takes a long time to make and can still be countered by Marines with Viking/Raven support.

It's much better to remax quickly on a more expensive ground army (sometimes this can mean making like 30 Warp Gates and also more Robo Facilities) that still has the upgrades you got which you won't have for air. This still gives you the splash damage you need (Colossi/High Templar/Archons), as well as plenty of tanky units (Immortals/Archons/Zealots). If you can manage to get a forward Pylon, you can reinforce faster with a bunch of Warp Gates than he can with his Barracks, and often overwhelm him once you win an engagement close to his production line.
Tons of information here and I see many places I could have gone wrong, especially with force fields and unit choices. I've also been wondering if I got hit by a well-placed EMP round and didn't even realize it.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post...lots for me to read and work on here. Going to print this out.
The comp you are always aiming to achieve in the end is like 9 colo, 15 templar and the rest tempest. After you get that, you should always win.
I'm assuming your a low league like me. So as a terran, wait, get a MSC, slowly get stalkers, and tech up to colossi and storm. Then against almost every low league terran just have 3-4 colossi, 6 Templar and lots of stalkers/ zealots with a forward pylon to warp in to. Then A-move and storm the biggest masses of marines. To you higher level players it might sound crazy but to get in to silver/gold all you need is this and upgrades. Most of us simply don't understand what ghosts and micro look like. Hope this kind of helps :p
Get some HT for storms. If you practice you can have sentries in the mix and tab to cycle between forcefields and storms, the bio will be too busy trying to either move away from the storm or the forcefields, at that time you protoss "stutter step" forward and it should take out their army, having a couple of collosus with range in your army of course. Works for me.

Also don't by hesitant on storming vikings, works wonders. Target the ground rather then the unit itself for flying units.
in bronze u just a attack t click t click and win..with no micro 3 storms kills the whole army instant.

in nicer terms< just make a lot of stuff then a attack across the map once u have colossus and hts
work on macro.
Try the HotS unit tester. Make an army of 20-30 zealots, 4-5 archons, 5-8 stalkers, and 3-4 collosi( 130 or something supply worth) 0 vs 50-60 marine, 10-15 maruder, 8 viking, 4 medivac and 1-2 tanks(also around 130). The only micro you're allowed to do is A-move and stim for terran.

And then after that ask a GM to micro the Terran army and win.
when u engage make ur collosus make the first shot and have ur zlots act as a meat shield. Forcefield so the Terran army gets slit up making ur deathball even stronger. Make sure to snipe down vikigns with stalekrs, keep pumping zlots if they die and micro out ur coloosus
just go skytoss, i always lose to that !@#$