WCS 2014 - Oceania/SEA new changes

ANZ / SEA
Hi all,

With the new changes to WCS 2014 there will be more opportunities for our local players. We now will have regional qualifiers where two players from the region will go directly to Challenger and have a good chance to make it to Premier league!

What are your thoughts on the changes that were announced?
Possibly the best news I've gotten all week! Keen to see some of Oceania's greatest players get a real good shot in Challenger league. Just hope the latency doesn't effect them too much
Love everything about it! A lot of what was asked for has clearly been answered which is awesome and appreciated, our regions gonna enjoy some really great competition in 2014.

On the world side of WCS 2014 announcement; the GSL prize distribution is top heavy as hell!
Good to see a solid local stepping stone. Blizzard delivers!
This will give the local scene a great boost! It is definitely a step in the right direction making the WCS a truly Global Championship.
Definitely a step in the right direction! Having our own region qualifier will motivate a lot of people and give us more exposure into the NA scene which is so important.

A shame that Koreans remain in the premier league but understandable that they didn't want to make it a clean sweep between seasons, foreigners will just have to knock them out :P.

Very excited and looking forward to competing!

-mOOnGLaDe
Plenty of details to iron out but the first regional qualifer needs to happen in the first few weeks of January 2014. Given the tight deadline this will be a online tournament that will be run regionally. More details to come!
I'm very excited to hear that the Australian starcraft community will be able to get more involved in E sports, thank you blizz!
11/20/2013 04:55 PMPosted by Arcagnion
What are your thoughts on the changes that were announced?

A major regional tournament in SEA will help fuel our pro scene and I dare say all of the teams here desperately need the exposure so thats the best news I see out of all this, I can't praise Blizz enough for that.

What I'll say next will be unpopular to some in this thread but I think it needs to be said in here.

My fear is that this tournament is going to miss the majority of SEA's player base and end up as a marketing exercise amongst a small niche crowd of the converted. Watching the current larger SEA tournaments fail to gain much traction outside of our pro community I worry that this tournament will simply follow the same path.

The regions efforts should be placed on getting this tournament to interact with as many SEA players as possible, it's aim should be to obtain the highest participation rate of any region considering our recent server history. Getting SEA moving in the right direction again is far more important than running a Code S style tournament down here.
A major regional tournament in SEA will help fuel our pro scene and I dare say all of the teams here desperately need the exposure so thats the best news I see out of all this, I can't praise Blizz enough for that.

What I'll say next will be unpopular to some in this thread but I think it needs to be said in here.

My fear is that this tournament is going to miss the majority of SEA's player base and end up as a marketing exercise amongst a small niche crowd of the converted. Watching the current larger SEA tournaments fail to gain much traction outside of our pro community I worry that this tournament will simply follow the same path.

The regions efforts should be placed on getting this tournament to interact with as many SEA players as possible, it's aim should be to obtain the highest participation rate of any region considering our recent server history. Getting SEA moving in the right direction again is far more important than running a Code S style tournament down here.

Totally open to feedback like this.
2014 will mean the players in the region now have slots set aside to challenge those in the Premier league. In essence the single major change is that there will be three regional qualifiers for ANZ/SEA to find out who these challengers will be from the area. The difficult part is getting people outside of existing community interested in these and other StarCraft II tournaments. This is something that we can and will improve in 2014 but it is also something that eSport partners play a part in.
Very excited too
Should have some more news on this later in the week so I'll be sure to post it up here!
All the WCS Americas Season 1 details are now up on the events thread that can be found here. Be sure to check out the stream or head to a BarCraft this weekend!
01/07/2014 08:55 PMPosted by Arcagnion
Be sure to check out the stream or head to a BarCraft this weekend!

Will do Mr Cagnion, thanks for keeping us all up to date and I hope the holidays were good for you and all the other sea forum hangers <3