Patch 2.1 This Week

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 11 Next
yeah, i'd have to know more details about the ladder situation. a simple league redistribution will not do anything. furthermore, any real fix would take several seasons; there is no silver bullet fix that will magically fix the mmr. it took seasons for it to get so out-of-whack, and it would take seasons for it to be fixed over time.
01/19/2014 04:29 AMPosted by CycoDude
yeah, i'd have to know more details about the ladder situation. a simple league redistribution will not do anything. furthermore, any real fix would take several seasons; there is no silver bullet fix that will magically fix the mmr. it took seasons for it to get so out-of-whack, and it would take seasons for it to be fixed over time.

A step foward is a step in the right direction, unless it is off an abrupt cliff...
To be fair, they are trying to make mmr decay work and be a thing. They will not let it go, and I, nor does anyone else, know why. Why make the game an obligation at least once a week?
The redistribution should work and take an estimated 1-3 weeks for currently active players to level out their mmr. We will still see a small surplus of bronze players as players who have not laddered in a while will have decayed.

In all honesty, you will almost never lose your game knowledge and the muscle memory for hotkeys and actions come back within a week. So mmr decay makes absolutely no sense when it can take you all the way back to bronze.
As I understand the news:

- MMR decay won`t be fixed
- DEMOTION during the season won`t be reintroduced

= nothing essential will be changed and patch 2.1 will be more cosmetics than anything else...

with the move to a free arcade and the unlocking of all races for spawned players, as well as the improvements for modders, this patch is FAR from just cosmetic. It makes SC2 way more accessible to new players. Add to tat the new clan features... the focus of this patch is in strengthening the foundations of the community.

I agree with the post above mine however that shaking off the rust of innactivity really does not take much time in comparison to the amount of games that would be required to increase one's MMR after a substantial break. So yeah, MMR decay is and will remain too potent, I believe.
This patch includes more levels and new rewards, new changes to Clans and Groups, a 100% free Arcade, remastered Classic StarCraft and StarCraft: Brood War music, adjustments to the league distribution percentages on the ladder, Extension Mods,
Why ladder change is the only news that has no topic? Why MMR is so secret? Decaying by what rate? I'm going up or my opponent is the one falling? At least explain what we are dealing with. Be transparent.

Show us the MMR/ELO and make a decent and visible cutt of from divisions, let players go up and down according to their streaks but reward them for not falling back, stop this "non-demoting in mid season".
People already smurfs, quit games and use hacks, so is not like this change would ruin everything.

GMs shouldn't be able to sit on their ranks for the whole season just because they rushed in the opening day a now spend their bonus with a game every week. Check some GMs with less than 30 games while others have hundreds already. This ruins tournaments based on ladder rankings and allow Masters to have MMR highers than "low" GMs. Even mindless ladder grinding would be better than 200 fixed spots.

Ladder points can be manipulated at some extent with bonus pool and leave league option and doesn't mean if a player is High or Low on his league.

With all this recent (and much needed) talk about fun game, boring units, starbow, design flaws all that... maybe is not the best time to talk about competition, but If you are making Arcade free, why not get the ladder more serious? Lower leagues can apreciate some ecompetition on their own level, thats why we have bronze to plat tourneys. And If a gold player can't take the fact that he is the #5,123 player of 7,480,367 he can go play unranked or filter for a better oponent in arcade chat and have lots of fun.
finally
As I understand the news:

- MMR decay won`t be fixed
- DEMOTION during the season won`t be reintroduced

= nothing essential will be changed and patch 2.1 will be more cosmetics than anything else...
Nothing cosmetic about melee mod support.

They are actually a pretty big deal.

Consider the hype about Starbow. Now people outside the PTR will be able to play it, and any new mod that comes out after.
01/18/2014 10:22 PMPosted by KaiZEN
You know what needs to be patched next? This weird mentality that gamers get sexually aroused upon hearing good gaming news.

I wouldn't be surprised if they actually do, human sexuality can be very weird.
All this talk about MMR decay... if I'm not mistaken, a blue specifically addressed that a few weeks ago and said that it doesn't kick in until about 2 weeks of inactivity. Even then, it starts off relatively minor (a few losses).

Now, the other day IdrA talked about being away from the game for a couple of days, and having to plow through a bunch of scrubs to get back upto his 'normal' level. I'm guessing he's full of crap?
Good to know, thanks for telling us as soon as possible.

Called it: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/11296819615#4

Great news!

Maybe when season 3 starts is when the first LotV info will be unveiled? :O
01/18/2014 09:44 PMPosted by Hunta
I feel like the only solution is to make it so ranked plays only ranked and unranked plays only unranked. However we will see how it goes.

no way queue times take too long as it is
You got it Raver
01/18/2014 06:59 PMPosted by Kaivax
and many other features.

Curious, but trying not to wonder about it too much.

Consider the hype about Starbow. Now people outside the PTR will be able to play it, and any new mod that comes out after.

They can now... though I guess it will allow the latest version, on any map.

no way queue times take too long as it is

I don't think I've ever waited more than a minute...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBwwUfuJZr8

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

Clan Decals almost here.
Will you be able to listen to the Remastered soundtrack while playing the Campaign? If so, that would totally make me play the WoL campaign over again!
Is this going to affect the way MMR is currently functioning? Correct me if I'm wrong, but MMR determines matchups, not league. So even if the league distribution is changed, the MMR will continue to cause the same pairings we've been receiving.
It's about time :D
01/19/2014 11:13 AMPosted by Sorrow
Is this going to affect the way MMR is currently functioning? Correct me if I'm wrong, but MMR determines matchups, not league. So even if the league distribution is changed, the MMR will continue to cause the same pairings we've been receiving.

bronze and silver are much smaller and gold is bigger, so it's going to force a lot of players out of bronze and silver simply because there is not enough room. If it all works that is.
call me a cynic, but "adjusting league distribution" isn't going to fix anything. It's like trying to fix a leaky bucket by filling it up again.
01/19/2014 12:53 PMPosted by Oboeman
call me a cynic, but "adjusting league distribution" isn't going to fix anything. It's like trying to fix a leaky bucket by filling it up again.

I think it's kind of a temporary solution. Like that would probably work for 1 season, but as MMR decay slowly restarts doing its magic, the lower leagues are gonna get inflated again the same way. But I prefer to wait and see than being too negative about it. Anyway, if the problem persists, Blizzard will eventually have to fix it one way or another.

I don't believe MMR decay to be wrong as a concept, I just believe it decays player way too heavily as compared as the real skill loss. If a player stops playing for a month, I don't think it will take a lot more than 5-10 games to get back to his original skill. Right now, we have decaying players needing >20 games to get their MMR back, while crushing everyone on their way.