Storm Op

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 14 Next
04/03/2014 01:46 AMPosted by GameOfDrones
A ghost may not be able to outright kill as quickly, but it is capable of more damage more rapidly from a longer range while invisible when compared to the HT.

By your logic, the viper is the worst caster in the entire game because it is capable of dealing no direct damage to enemy units at all.

Just wanted to note that the comment about more damage is not true. HT are capable of dealing more damage as they don't have a limit (shield life) imposed on them. Also HT is able to instantly kill drops and can feedback (and kill) battlecruisers, banshees, medivacs, ghosts (before a ghost can snipe) and any other energy unit I am missing (I play T).

Personally, I think storm is only OP in combination with colossus. I have a bigger problem with only requiring 1 HT to stop a drop at a base (Feedback).
04/09/2014 01:08 PMPosted by Prime
requiring 1 HT to stop a drop at a base (Feedback).

Stim once before going in. No full energy = no feedback kills.
04/09/2014 12:42 PMPosted by ShoolNOTcool
Storm is one of the smaller problems with Protoss. Protoss is made for younger and stupid people. I am not saying that Protoss player are stupid, but their race is made very easy to play for casuals.

Spoken from someone who...never plays? At entry level, yes Protoss is simpler compared to Terran or Zerg, but all races are difficult to play at a high level.
While Psionic Storm can be powerful in some situations, the High Templar faces viable counters in the different match-ups. With the new season starting soon, we will be keeping a close eye on all the match-ups and how they play out. Currently, we feel Psionic Storm is in a good spot.

If you're running into trouble figuring out how to combat any specific strategy or unit, it’s always good to jump on the forums and open up a discussion. I personally enjoy threads discussing gameplay in-depth…assuming it remains civil. :)
04/09/2014 05:00 PMPosted by Psione
While Psionic Storm can be powerful in some situations, the High Templar faces viable counters in the different match-ups. With the new season starting soon, we will be keeping a close eye on all the match-ups and how they play out. Currently, we feel Psionic Storm is in a good spot.

If you're running into trouble figuring out how to combat any specific strategy or unit, it’s always good to jump on the forums and open up a discussion. I personally enjoy threads discussing gameplay in-depth…assuming it remains civil. :)

Pretty well said. ^

So im not even zerg. But am i missing the counter to HT for zerg? Ghost is pretty obvious for terran
04/09/2014 05:20 PMPosted by Uzi

Pretty well said. ^
04/09/2014 05:34 PMPosted by KillerBunny
So im not even zerg. But am i missing the counter to HT for zerg? Ghost is pretty obvious for terran

Zerg doesn't really have any anti caster units, and HT's themselves rip infestors and vipers to shreds with feedback as soon as they get into range.

Swarm Hosts are pretty good at forcing storms out of protoss when they don't necessarily want to use them, so that means less energy for storms on your main army.

Aside from that all you can really do is try to target fire the HT's, or dodge the storms and hope he runs out of energy before your army is completely dead. If you have ultras, sending them in first to soak up a few storms may be an option.
Love you and thank you.
By your logic, the viper is the worst caster in the entire game because it is capable of dealing no direct damage to enemy units at all.

The Viper probably IS the worst caster unit in the entire game, just quietly. With the exception of possibly the Overseer.
have you ever tried luring army into the main with mutas, while the army is chasing the mutas out, drop like 4-5 changelings on his ramp(leading back down into natural), put them on hold position, and send lings into other bases? i have never seen this happen and i WANT to see it happen. point being, overseer not bad caster imo

Mass overlords
So im not even zerg. But am i missing the counter to HT for zerg?

Anything that isn't a hydralisk or zergling.
04/09/2014 06:01 PMPosted by MIRagE
have you ever tried luring army into the main with mutas, while the army is chasing the mutas out, drop like 4-5 changelings on his ramp(leading back down into natural), put them on hold position, and send lings into other bases? i have never seen this happen and i WANT to see it happen. point being, overseer not bad caster imo

I saw Stephano ramp blocking with changlings on his stream once. Also saw a funday monday where a player ramp blocked with changelings then detonated burrowed banelings to kill the opponent's zerglings that were clumped on the ramp.

That doesn't make the overseer a good caster unit though :P
04/09/2014 06:14 PMPosted by TheBentOne
So im not even zerg. But am i missing the counter to HT for zerg?

Anything that isn't a hydralisk or zergling.

In my opinion/experience, actually, zerglings do a pretty good job against storm as long as you have equal or greater vision/positioning, mostly because they force the Protoss to storm their own units if they don't have the initiative. This is speaking from the Protoss player's perspective, of course.

The Viper probably IS the worst caster unit in the entire game, just quietly. With the exception of possibly Overseers.

Bad or not, it's certainly not useless. Besides, a spell doesn't need to deal direct damage to be good, I mean look at Force Field.

It can also replace an army of Corruptors. I mean sure, you could have a swarm of ~15 Corruptors flying around trying to kill Colossi while dodging Storms, Archons, all while actually trying to kill the Colossi before they have any effect (which is difficult; good Protoss can recognize when trying to save Colossi is a lost cause, and will often just fry your ground army before the Colossi die). Or you could have twenty more supply of roaches, three vipers, and yoink the Colossi for a similar effect.

If you play Hearthstone, think of it like Counterspell; yes, it will never do damage, and it will never give you card advantage because it only ever trades 1:1. However, it will prevent something that would have given your opponent an advantage. It exists purely as a support that protects your army; Abduct prevents Colossi from working, and Blinding Cloud prevents tanks/stalkers from working.

The catch, of course, is which gets used first: Feedback, or Abduct? Snipe, or Blinding Cloud? If feedback is used first, you're screwed, but if abduct is used first, your army picks something off, and your Viper won't have the energy left to get killed by a feedback. Same thing for blinding cloud; it doesn't matter if the Vipers die as long as the siege tanks can't fire and you win a decisive engagement.

Of course, trying to dodge a feedback is much harder for Zerg than it is for Terran. Unlike Ghosts which are small and have cloak to combat Feedback, Vipers are large, flying units that are much easier to target. Smart Protoss also make sure that their HT are neither dragging behind the army (where they aren't in range to feedback), nor in front (where they get picked off first).

It's harder for Zerg to use Vipers than other casters, but I'd hardly call it "bad" when it is so instrumental in the late game.
I'm not saying Vipers are bad per se, just that they are probably the worst caster unit in the game. Vipers have their place, but ghosts, ravens, sentries, HTs, oracles, queens and Infestors would all be better units than vipers.
psi storm rapes so much face and is easy to use cause you are just 1 a ing the zealots into terran...

I've had so many games where you emp the templar but your bio army still has a hard time against all the zealots... or you emp everything except the one templar and then proceed to get your !@# torn apart..

Pvt is ruining this game from a terrans point of view... maybe psi storm seems to good now cause the toss will get it easily every time since the mother ship core negates any early attacks terran used to be able to do....

I remember in WOL blizzard say something like " we know terran late game isn't as good as protoss but terran has an early game advantage so that makes it interesting"

so does protoss have early and late game advantage now???
ghosts are so expensive too and you always seem to end up losing them... impossible to trade any cost efficently when your late game on equal bases,,,, not fair man
It's funny that this topic still raises its ugly head after all these years.