How the Zerg are better than the Tyranids

Joeyray's Bar
Post Limit:
Hello. I know you might think I'm a complete doofus by saying the Zerg are better than Tyranids, but hear me out.

1. Zerg have centralized control. They are commanded by the Overmind, which keeps the swarm at peak, savage efficiency. The Tyranid Hivemind is decentralized. What is to stop one Hive Fleet from attacking another? Where is the unifying will that directs and IS the hivemind itself?

2. The Tyranids just consume worlds. They literally make worlds unable to harbor life ever again. At that rate, the Tyranids would simply exhaust their food supplies, and die out. On an evolutionary standpoint, they would be genetically flawed in that way. The Zerg, however, consume all the life on a planet, but leave the oceans and atmosphere intact, allowing more life to re-grow, thereby allowing the Swarm to feed indefinitely.

3. As far as I know, Tyranids don't assimilate DNA, and just consume biomass. Zerg assimilate DNA AND Consume biomass. If I am wrong about this, please tell me.

Well, there you have it. The Zerg are smarter than the Tyranids, because they don't destroy their own food supply. Also, the centralization of the Zerg Hivemind, manifested as the Overmind, ensures that the zerg remain at peak, savage efficiency, while a Hive Tyrant could take a Hive-Fleet and rebel against the Swarmlord any second now. Anyone with more Warhammer knowledge, please leave constructive criticism.
It is called Tyranids have galaxies worth of troops and Hero units that would rip Kerrigan a new !@#$%^-.
TBH, I like my Nids like I like my Zerg, squashed.
I agree that the Swarm is more efficient in that regard, but would point out:

The Tyranids are vastly more numerous. This doesn't make them superior; rather, it just means they've been around longer. Considering that, though, it may be that the reason they don't assimilate new essences is because they don't need to. They've already achieved 'perfection' as the Zerg hope to.

To me, the Tyranids are basically what the Swarm could well look like in 38,000 years.

Also, the Swarm is no longer perfectly centralized. They adopted the superior strategy of localized authority (Broodmothers), designed to stimulate evolution through competition rather than purely through the pursuit of science.

04/30/2014 07:28 PMPosted by FegelKitteh
Hero units that would rip Kerrigan a new !@#$%^-.

...Debatable.
04/30/2014 08:50 PMPosted by KnarledOne
I agree that the Swarm is more efficient in that regard, but would point out:

The Tyranids are vastly more numerous. This doesn't make them superior; rather, it just means they've been around longer. Considering that, though, it may be that the reason they don't assimilate new essences is because they don't need to. They've already achieved 'perfection' as the Zerg hope to.

To me, the Tyranids are basically what the Swarm could well look like in 38,000 years.

Also, the Swarm is no longer perfectly centralized. They adopted the superior strategy of localized authority (Broodmothers), designed to stimulate evolution through competition rather than purely through the pursuit of science.

04/30/2014 07:28 PMPosted by FegelKitteh
Hero units that would rip Kerrigan a new !@#$%^-.

...Debatable.

The Doom of Malan Tai
Seems more crowd-control based than a 1v1 powerhouse.

Although the fact that it feeds on psychic energy would definitely give it an advantage... I think that, at least up to a certain point, being a powerful psychic would actually be a bad thing when fighting the Doom.
04/30/2014 07:04 PMPosted by TheUndermind
Hello. I know you might think I'm a complete doofus by saying the Zerg are better than Tyranids, but hear me out.

1. Zerg have centralized control. They are commanded by the Overmind, which keeps the swarm at peak, savage efficiency. The Tyranid Hivemind is decentralized. What is to stop one Hive Fleet from attacking another? Where is the unifying will that directs and IS the hivemind itself?

Hive Mind for the Tyranids is decentralized, and works much better. The tendrils in WH40K are scouting forces, so there is a much, MUCH bigger army of Tyranids incoming. A lot of Tyranids conduct the Hive Mind and extend the reach, but ultimately, it is still there. Only the death of the Norn Queen would cause a split in forces, and then those smaller splits end up getting their own Norn Queen. Not good.

2. The Tyranids just consume worlds. They literally make worlds unable to harbor life ever again. At that rate, the Tyranids would simply exhaust their food supplies, and die out. On an evolutionary standpoint, they would be genetically flawed in that way. The Zerg, however, consume all the life on a planet, but leave the oceans and atmosphere intact, allowing more life to re-grow, thereby allowing the Swarm to feed indefinitely.

Conceded, but they do end up recycling their own dead.

3. As far as I know, Tyranids don't assimilate DNA, and just consume biomass. Zerg assimilate DNA AND Consume biomass. If I am wrong about this, please tell me.

Zoanthropes are made up of Eldar DNA, showing that they do have the ability to assimilate DNA themselves.
I read something really interesting in the comments of a YouTube video, that since Warhammer is so much farther in the future than StarCraft, the Zerg are the Tyranids. I do not remember all the points, but it made sense.
I'm not saying the Zerg would win in a war with the Tyranids, because tyranids would obviously stomp. I'm saying the Zerg would outlive the Tyranids, because the Zerg allow consumed worlds to regrow, giving them more food.
05/01/2014 05:42 AMPosted by Maverick
since Warhammer is so much farther in the future than StarCraft, the Zerg are the Tyranids.

My thoughts exactly. Though I certainly hope the Imperium isn't what the Terran race looks like in 38,000 years.
05/01/2014 04:07 PMPosted by KnarledOne
05/01/2014 05:42 AMPosted by Maverick
since Warhammer is so much farther in the future than StarCraft, the Zerg are the Tyranids.

My thoughts exactly. Though I certainly hope the Imperium isn't what the Terran race looks like in 38,000 years.

No toss and space elves debunk it. Though in a war of where the forces start at equal sizes and in a ground battle I feel Zerg would win.
05/01/2014 04:38 PMPosted by FegelKitteh
05/01/2014 04:07 PMPosted by KnarledOne

No toss and space elves debunk it. Though in a war of where the forces start at equal sizes and in a ground battle I feel Zerg would win.

If we're assuming equal forces, and no re-enforcements, then the Tyranids win. Creature for creature, they have consistently stronger forces and, unlike the Zerg, dedicated artillery pieces. Although killing the Synapse creatures will completely screw with the Tyranids, and eventually turn creatures against one another.
05/01/2014 05:34 PMPosted by Jester

If we're assuming equal forces, and no re-enforcements, then the Tyranids win. Creature for creature, they have consistently stronger forces and, unlike the Zerg, dedicated artillery pieces. Although killing the Synapse creatures will completely screw with the Tyranids, and eventually turn creatures against one another.

If reinforcements were available Zerg would be able to win and many Zerg units are better than their Nid counterparts. Ultralisk s are wayyyy better than Carnifexs and Mutas trash Gargoyles.
05/01/2014 07:02 PMPosted by FegelKitteh
Ultralisk s are wayyyy better than Carnifexs and Mutas trash Gargoyles.

This is not fact, this is personal opinion. If you can not perform as the others have, don't post. I've seen perfect logic in prior posts. Except yours.
05/01/2014 07:07 PMPosted by Zarkun
05/01/2014 07:02 PMPosted by FegelKitteh
Ultralisk s are wayyyy better than Carnifexs and Mutas trash Gargoyles.

This is not fact, this is personal opinion. If you can not perform as the others have, don't post. I've seen perfect logic in prior posts. Except yours.

Posts like this make me want to put you on ignore so !@#$ off. I cannot post on a computer and hope people can connect the dots. Ultralisks outsize Carnifexs by a large margin and the Hierophant, the smallest thing that can make on an Ultralisk is quite rare. Mutas are larger and faster than their nid counterparts.
That doesn't make them better. Again, personal opinion. You want to put me on ignore? Go ahead. All that does is allow me to continue picking your posts apart without having to worry about a rage driven post like the one above mine.
05/01/2014 07:23 PMPosted by Zarkun
That doesn't make them better. Again, personal opinion. You want to put me on ignore? Go ahead. All that does is allow me to continue picking your posts apart without having to worry about a rage driven post like the one above mine.

The fact is that something larger can simply barrel through the smaller creature and will likely have more armor. Also Mutas are bigger and will be more durable than the Gargoyles (which are flying Gaunts)

Also half this thread is made of opinions but I don't see you harassing the OP??
Because he's provided facts the universe itself has given. I'd like to also point out that larger isn't always better armored. Nor is smaller less armored. Just because something is larger also doesn't make them more durable. Simply put, your points are a logical fallacy you don't want to let go of.
05/01/2014 07:41 PMPosted by Zarkun
Because he's provided facts the universe itself has given. I'd like to also point out that larger isn't always better armored. Nor is smaller less armored. Just because something is larger also doesn't make them more durable. Simply put, your points are a logical fallacy you don't want to let go of.

Usually the larger thing has better armor, take a Battleship and Tank, tank has less armor due to size. And you fail to adress the point of Carnifexs simply getting run over by Ultras. It is hard to compare universe due to no real measurements being given for units. I have played DOW2 (which is to scale unlike SC2) Carnifexs are much smaller when compared to the WH40k Marine (which is probably slightly bigger than an SC2 marine) when you compare it to an Ultralisk and Marines in Cinematics Ultras are much larger.
In a match between the Carnifex and the Ultralisk, the Ultralisk only wins if it manages to get into melee range, and even then, it'll take a while to bring down, seeing as Carnifexes have some ridiculous regeneration. A few survived by burrowing underground while a planet was being burned to a crisp by orbital bombardment, got up, and wandered around a bit There isn't a great deal on scaling between the two, so there is no exact size of a Carnifex compared to a Ultralisk, leaving the side advantage a bit of a mystery in my mind.
Second point: Carnifex has ranged weapons. Specifically, ranged weapons that turn something like a Thor or the Colossus into scrap within the first two or three shots. As soon as a Carnifex with a ranged weapon goes up against an Ultralisk, the Ultralisk better run like hell is behind it, otherwise, it crashes and dies fast.

If we compare them to their respective Human power-armored enemies (Marine for Starcraft, Space Marines for WH40K), then Carnifexes take much, MUCH more punishment from ballistic weapons, considering they shrug off Bolter rounds, which have been equated to be more like hand-held Autocannons, firing 19.05mm rounds. Compared to the 8mm spikes from a Gauss Rifle, which leaves shell casings behind.

I concede to the Gargoyle vs Mutalisk match as Gargoyles are just flying Tyranids with guns, whereas the Mutalisk has a much more powerful attack, along with the ability to fly into space. However, I raise you a match of my own: What, in the Zerg's ground army, can hope to even try to match a Bio-Titan?