Shattered (RP Discussion)

Joeyray's Bar
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
I the course of my reading both backlogs of RPs and current PRPs, I have noticed a consistent error. (Please do not take me too seriously. Zarkun always does) When you refer to a specific psionic ability, you use the term 'kinesis'. This is incorrect. The correct term is a suffix, -pathy. As in pyropathic or telepathic. 'pathic' refers to the mind. 'Kinesis' is a Latin root, 'moves' or 'movement', so telekinesis='far movement'. To refer to it more accurately would be 'telekinepathesis', but this is much too long. (Plus it has never been used, so no-one regards it as a real word...Though it is)
-Pathy is defined as, in combined form:
1.indicating feeling, sensitivity, or perception: telepathy
2.indicating disease or a morbid condition: psychopathy
3.indicating a method of treating disease: osteopathy

Whereas -kinesis is defined as, in the same form:
a combining form with the meaning “movement, activity,” often used with the more particular senses “reaction to a stimulus” (photokinesis), “movement without an apparent physical cause” (telekinesis), “activity within a cell” (karyokinesis).

One involves feeling, sensitivity, perception, disease, and treatment.

The other means movement or activity.

So actually, it would be accurately used as Pyrokinesis (Movement or activity of fire, more commonly known as manipulating fire). But, then again, telekinesis is technically Psychokinesis, which I prefer, but telekinesis is more commonly used.
So then perhaps all in all it would be more accurate to say: Telekinepathesis.

You took me too seriously, I told you not to...

Still, that is not using the full idea of the Latin root. -pathy refers to the mind, and is more accurate as a suffix than -kinesis, especially as neither pyropathy nor pyrokinesis are words in English, so to take directly for their roots is more accurate.
05/21/2014 05:26 PMPosted by Maverick
Still, that is not using the full idea of the Latin root. -pathy refers to the mind, and is more accurate as a suffix than -kinesis, especially as neither pyropathy nor pyrokinesis are words in English, so to take directly for their roots is more accurate.

I would advise you to check where you got your definition, and indeed, check its credibility. As far as I have searched, the latin root you are looking for (-pathia) has been defined as an outdated version of -pathy. And, actually, the word pyrokinesis was developed by an American author, and stuck to the language. It is pyrokinesis because

Fire feeling/sensitivity/perception/disease/treatment
is most definitely not the same as
Fire movement/activity.
And a good author/writer would know this.

Oh, by the way? -pathy and -kinesis are of Greek origin.
Well the term Starcraft uses is "Pyrokinesis".

If you don't like it, not my problem, bring it to the Blizzard Entertainment writers like Chris Metzen or something. Don't bring this argument into my RP. Accuracy to the English language or not, or it's Latin mother, I could care less. Accuracy and continuity to the universe of the RP is what's important here, and so far there are no errors under that guide line.
Korozain, I need to send you an email or note or something about a thing I want to do with my character. Any other way I can contact you besides on the forums?

Edit: Thanks goes to zarkun. You have an email Koro.
Hmmm....post to try and fix this.
Wait, did that whole conversation get deleted? It appears the mods are watching us after all.
Looks like the mods do watch the forums. Well Koro is right we shouldn't start this up in his rp.. Working on a char idea just too many fiction universes I am working on at once.
05/22/2014 02:45 PMPosted by Owlfeathers
Wait, did that whole conversation get deleted? It appears the mods are watching us after all.

Yep, the whole conversation did get deleted. Teh all-mighty mods watch every forum.
Maybe we aren't forgotten in this section of the forums. There's hope yet!