Viking Transformation(Now with extension mod)

General Discussion
Post Limit:
Prev 1 4 5 6 13 Next
05/19/2014 02:43 PMPosted by Sovereign
05/19/2014 02:32 PMPosted by Temeter
is it possible to allow them to start moving as soon as you switch back to fighter mode?

I guess you could increase their acceleration altogether, since the reason they dont move immediately is because they have to accelerate from zero.

No, i ment accelerating - to some degree - while going into air.

So you can make use of landed vikings in a battle without all-inning them.
05/19/2014 02:49 PMPosted by Temeter
No, i ment accelerating - to some degree - while going into air.

Oh, well, no, not with the editor. I tried to make that happen while fiddling with this change, and as far as I can tell, its impossible to make it work right (short of remaking the animation and importing it). I figured out how to make them move during the transformation, but the animation refuses to play while the unit is in motion, so it just instantly morphs between the unit models instead, which obviously looks pretty shotty.

Of course, that's nothing Blizzard couldn't fix themselves if they wanted to do it.
Too bad. Whatever, great work not only posting a good suggestion, but also proving it with a testmap.

I really hope blizzard takes this to the next balance-test. Even if it's a small thing, it's definitively an improvement to the gamemechanics. A few minutes ago ForGGs Vikings were getting picked apart, because they landed one after another. Not that they would have won against stimmed marauders at that point, but his air superiority could have made a difference.
+1 Support.
yeah this one mod is a good application for Vikings while landing although its also better that Vikings can also transform while in assault mode without stopping

+1
Gave the test map a whirl; it seemed like a pretty solid change. I do insist, however, that this NOT be counted as or considered a "buff" for vikings, lest players of other races try to throw it back in our faces later on, as in "lol, terran keeps getting buffs, look at the viking buff, lol l2p noob" (or something similar). Kind of like when they "buffed" banshees last summer to "compensate" for nerfing the hellbat to the ground. Maybe I'm just being cynical...
I'd like to try the map but I'm a noob and can't get it to show up in my search results. I've tried what you said and it didn't work, so I searched "Viking" and only got like 5 results.
Help?
05/20/2014 10:08 AMPosted by Engineer
I'd like to try the map but I'm a noob and can't get it to show up in my search results. I've tried what you said and it didn't work, so I searched "Viking" and only got like 5 results.
Help?

Just copy paste "Sovereign's Viking Improvement" in the arcade. Also, you have to be on the NA server.
05/20/2014 10:22 AMPosted by Temeter
05/20/2014 10:08 AMPosted by Engineer
Help?

Just copy paste "Sovereign's Viking Improvement" in the arcade. Also, you have to be on the NA server.

Thanks for the help! I don't fully understand why but the server thing worked (why wasn't I on NA already if the others weren't selected?).
Vikings aren't an imbalanced units like marines, MULEs, siege tanks, ravens, banshees, hellions, medivacs and marauders, so a buff like that wouldn't make it imbalanced, or even more.
But you still must consider your race is already imbalanced, so we should look at nerfing it before making these buffs. Either that or look to the other races first.
Just my thoughts, I'm not against it, but I also don't agree at this moment.
05/20/2014 10:33 AMPosted by Engineer
Thanks for the help! I don't fully understand why but the server thing worked (why wasn't I on NA already if the others weren't selected?).

Np. Not sure what you mean, though. You played your games on another server, e.g. EU, did you? Every server has not only an idependent ranking system per player, but also its own selection of arcade games. Sovereign uploaded his mod to the NA server, therefore you had to switch over there.
Yes Please!
05/16/2014 02:32 PMPosted by Nasax

it would allow a bit more "burst" when you land, aye. Ground Vikings have smart fire iirc, so the poor things wouldn't stand a chance.

Genuine question but how often are vikings used to harass mineral lines?

My impression was that they are used almost exclusively in TvP and occasionally in TvT while in ground mode and only to help bio on the ground kill Protoss units or siege tanks if in TvT.

When there are a good number of Vikings in an army composition, players will usually land them to help their ground forces clean up an army. Take TvP as an example. There are times after the Vikings clean up all the Colossi, where the remaining Terran ground forces are just as strong, or a tiny bit stronger than the Protoss player's remaining forces. Terrans will usually land their Vikings so that they add more fire power to lose less units. Sometimes it takes them a little bit of time to find a landing spot, come to a halt, then proceed to land.
As a Terran I think this is a well thought out idea. It would open up a bunch of new ways to harass which I like.
This change seems very solid.

But I'm not sure why we haven't gotten a response on it yet.

Still hoping.
Your thread is doing well, Sovereign. I'm going to do what I can to see that it gets noticed.
Thanks for the support everyone, especially Nasax and Doncroft.

Hopefully Psione will drop by soon with some good news.
yeah this change is a good one its better if they can also transform without stopping to become flying mode as well since they want to change it, might as well do it right
Thanks for putting together such a comprehensive post, Sovereign. The detailed reasoning behind your suggestion helps a lot when passing it along for consideration. The test map is also a really cool touch and something I checked out after reading your post.

I'd be happy to pass this along. Please feel free to continue the constructive conversation. I'll be watching (in a non-creepy way).