System Requirements explained in detail

Technical Support
Prev 1 2 3 4 19 Next
would a GeForce 8400 GS 512MB DDR2 PCI Graphics Card run the game ok? And what graphics range would i be looking at it (with little to no lag)? Or Should i buy a little better graphics card?(looking to go as cheap as possible thats why I came to this)
hey sure shot i had the same question. i had one and it play for a little bit then quit on me. if your near a best buy.(mind you they overcharge) they have a card which only requires your power system to have 300 watts total, and its probably the best bang for your buck if you have low system specs. its a galaxy nvidia geforce 240gt. i picked one up cus our system cant handle a whole lot but it can do low end gaming fine. the installer put some of the specs on medium or high, but i play in low because i'm more of a perfomance guy.
Quick question on the graphic setup. Are the recommanded settings from the game actually based on your system spec? Or is it just a default game setting?
hey sure shot i had the same question. i had one and it play for a little bit then quit on me. if your near a best buy.(mind you they overcharge) they have a card which only requires your power system to have 300 watts total, and its probably the best bang for your buck if you have low system specs. its a galaxy nvidia geforce 240gt. i picked one up cus our system cant handle a whole lot but it can do low end gaming fine. the installer put some of the specs on medium or high, but i play in low because i'm more of a perfomance guy.

Thank you, yes best buy does overprice but they have many of the things i can count own (plus the are 10 mins away from my house), but I have done alot of upgrading the last few days for a more perfromance computer to were i can use PCI-Express now and i just bought a new 430 watt power supply with a ATI Radeon HD 4350 1 GB DDR2 PCI-E 2 graphics card(on sale but still overpriced =/ ) that im hoping will greatly increase my performance on starcraft 2, thanks anyway though your advice would have been very helpful if i hadnt confinced myself to spend alot of money yesterday =/ but I hope for my new pc to run much better now. Unfortunately I have to wait till saturday for all my new computer parts to arrive.. so laggy low detail starcraft 2 for 3 more days =(

Some of the more common ones that are under the system requirements:
NVIDIA GeForce 6150, 6200, 7150, 8300, 8400, 9100, 9300
ATI Radeon Xpress 200, 1150, 1250, X1050, 8500-9600, X300-600
All Intel GMA adapters minus the one in the i3/i5 chips. Those tend to run better but we don't know how much.

What is meant by "under" the system requirements? Is under the requirements good or bad? I don't like the ambiguity of that term
Alright. I don't have the best up to date system, but from what I see I should be able to play this game on all low settings, but I get 8-10 FPS constant in game.

"Intel Core 2 around 1.8GHz is a rough area but should be able to play it at low settings. 2.4GHz is the recommended number."

My processor is an Intel Pentium dual core 2.0GHz. Which is above 1.8.

"Some of the more common ones that are under the system requirements:
NVIDIA GeForce 6150, 6200, 7150, 8300, 8400, 9100, 9300"

My graphics card is GeForce 7100. This falls right in between the second and third ones listed there. Should I be able to run this on lowest settings or am I going to have to fork over hundreds of dollars for a new graphics card or whole new PC just to run it??

My graphics card is GeForce 7100. This falls right in between the second and third ones listed there. Should I be able to run this on lowest settings or am I going to have to fork over hundreds of dollars for a new graphics card or whole new PC just to run it??

I actually spent only 120$ for a new power supply and graphics card so i highly doubt your going to spend 100's of dollars on a new graphics card (unless you plan on buying the latest and greatest which is overkill for starcraft 2's graphics).. it may come out a little pricey when you add in that you need a new proccessor but it will not be a crazy price... plus take in the fact that you need a good amount of ram to but upgrading a graphics card, proccessor, and possibly ram wont cost you much over 200$ depending on where you buy and what you buy (you really dont need the newest computer parts on the market to run starcraft 2)

Definetly dont buy a new pc its so much cheaper to buy parts and assemble it yourself =(

Oh and to answer your question: many spes of your computer are below MINIMUM req to run the game so of course your going to see low graphics and choppy gameplay, even the ones above the minimum arent helping you much since the recommended computer specs are where you want to be at to run the game GOOD... minimum is just telling you that the game will run.... but not good at all generally
Hi im having an issue where when i log in whether i start to play an ai or start campaign my screen is black. So you could say the images are distrorted since i can see the outlines of them.
I know my video card is pretty outdated and Im currently using ATI Radeon Xpress 1200 series. The problem is when i visit the ATI site they say they no longer update these kinds. My PC is pretty decent AMD athlon(tm) 64 X dual core processer 3600+ 1.91 GHz with 1.97 GB of RAM. and is currently running on windows xp home edition service pack 3.
Im "pretty" sure the graphics have to do with my video card and I'm preparing to get a new one. But im unsure what to get or what to say when i walk into a future shop or best buy. Should I just tell them im looking for a new video card or?...
if anyone has any tips on what to say or buy please post here. Thanks ^_^

Some of the more common ones that are under the system requirements:
NVIDIA GeForce 6150, 6200, 7150, 8300, 8400, 9100, 9300
ATI Radeon Xpress 200, 1150, 1250, X1050, 8500-9600, X300-600
All Intel GMA adapters minus the one in the i3/i5 chips. Those tend to run better but we don't know how much.

What is meant by "under" the system requirements? Is under the requirements good or bad? I don't like the ambiguity of that term

Under is self-explanatory. Here's an example graphic

[better/above]

-----------[minimum requirements - gets you going at lowest settings at decent framerates]---------

[worse/under]
@ aNoob
Hi im having an issue where when i log in whether i start to play an ai or start campaign my screen is black. So you could say the images are distrorted since i can see the outlines of them.
I know my video card is pretty outdated and Im currently using ATI Radeon Xpress 1200 series. The problem is when i visit the ATI site they say they no longer update these kinds. My PC is pretty decent AMD athlon(tm) 64 X dual core processer 3600+ 1.91 GHz with 1.97 GB of RAM. and is currently running on windows xp home edition service pack 3.
Im "pretty" sure the graphics have to do with my video card and I'm preparing to get a new one. But im unsure what to get or what to say when i walk into a future shop or best buy. Should I just tell them im looking for a new video card or?...
if anyone has any tips on what to say or buy please post here. Thanks ^_^

Its definetly your graphics card becuase i have the same proccessor and same ram (well im at 2GB but close enough) but my video card is a NVDIA Geforce 6150(awaiting new one from best buy) and starcraft 2 can run at low settings with the crappiest frame rate ever but it doesnt come out pitch black the xpress 1200 is a really old graphics card so you definetly need a new one.

But I'm right there with you I went into best buy yesterday with little idea about computer parts.. the best thing to do is get a little research about graphics card and compare them with starcraft 2's specs and other computer games spec to see how it runs with games in general.... I actually watched youtube videos of the graphics card i ordered before i got it form best buy to see what framerate and graphics settings it perfromed well on... also best buy generally have people in the eletronics that know alot about computers and can help you... another good idea is to go to the geek squad counter with your comp, thats what I did and they examined it and told me alittle about it and what i would need to get it to support new graphics cards and games (keep in mind newer graphics cards need better power supplys so you'll probly need to look into that as well)... I know i probly looked a little odd packing around a home desktop computer but hell its better to be safe than sorry when blowing away a good amount of money on computer parts... and yes just tell them your looking for a new graphics card and computer parts that can run newer games like starcraft 2 on your pc.. easy as that pretty much but the biggest part is doing your own research first...

Hope that helps
Thanks
Can anyone tell me which part of my system is slowing down my FPS?

I am running Starcraft 2 on my notebook so I expected it to be slightly underpowered. But even with all graphics options dropped to low and as many unnecessary sounds as possible turned off I am still getting FPS in the range of 10-20, sometimes lower during large amounts of action. This essentially makes starcraft 2 unplayable.

I don't care about it looking good, I just want to play. Is there anyway that my system can handle SC2? Which parts are slowing me down?

CPU
CPU Type Intel Core 2 Duo
CPU Speed T6400(2.00GHz)
CPU FSB 800MHz
CPU L2 Cache 2MB
Chipset
Chipset NVIDIA MCP75L
Display
Screen Size 14"
Wide Screen Support Yes
Resolution 1366 x 768
LCD Features LED backlight
Operating Systems
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
Graphics
GPU/VPU NVIDIA GeForce G102M
Video Memory 512MB DDR2 VRAM
Graphic Type Integrated Card
Hard Drive
HDD 320GB
HDD RPM 5400rpm
Memory
Memory 4GB SDRM (only 3.5 used because of running Windows 32)
It keeps saying surrender and something about server is that my internet thats lagging or is that my computer being to slow? Cause it said my graphics card wasnt good enough i have a mobility AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 can i do something that wont cost money to fix that?
With this being said, my computer ran the Beta flawlessly on Ultra on everything; the only thing that ever caused any slowdown was in 4v4 matches occasionally shadows needed to be reduced.

System Specs:
Windows 7 64-Bit
AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2ghz
G. Skill 4 GB 1333 Ram
Gigabyte Mobo (if necessary I can get the box out, just sort of a hassle atm)
Radeon PCI-E 5770

This game runs rather slowly by comparison to the beta. At first I thought it was merely the likely bevvy of triggers that campaign missions have, but it occurs in high level play as well. In addition, currently many of the visual effects are tied to each other, so on my copy I am unable to independently lower many settings; instead, I must basically choose "schemes" of settings: for example, I wanted to play with shadows reduced as my 5770 tends to be temperamental with them, however to do so would require me to drop all of my Shadows as well.

Also, I have concerns with SC2's ram requirements. After approximately 4 hours of play, on a whim I checked how much it was taking; 1.8 gb of ram was being taken by the program! This far exceeds even the recommended amounts for some OS and even with 4gb on a Windows 7 machine running typically basic services, it would put me dangerously close to my maximum ram.

With that being said, is it possible that I have some sort of memory problem (although this never occurs on any other game, including WoW and new FPS games), or is SC2 truly this much of a memory hog? I'm considering upping to 8 gb because of this game, but it would be only for this game, because no other game on the market that I've seen will eat that much at once.
'Owdy, Zerg huntin' pardnerz! I am currently experiencing lock ups due to my lowly integrated video card. Funny thing is that I can run the campaign missions 1-3 on low settings without any errors, but as soon as I get half way through the mission where you protect the convoy across the highway it starts to lock up because my video card stops responding. Is there any way I can continue to use this laptop and get around this problem? It's confusing me why only certain things in the game will cause problems for my system while others work okay. Thanks! Love the game, hate the requirements XD
I had the same problem, get the newest version of directX. I think its 11. Now the cinematics work fine for me
This may be an odd question, but... What happens if you the game runs fine on low settings and you are under system requirements? Am I going to break something? Burn something up?
Just bought a new computer and it has an ATI Radeon 5700 HD graphics card and i checked to make sure that it was all up to date, but the game still runs at low and has trouble running at even medium. Some of the people above me have worse graphics cards and it is running fine for them, is there something that i need to do? Thanks
Running flawlessly here, max settings @ 1920x1200

AMD Phenom II 955 3.2ghz @ 3.6ghz
4GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1600mhz @ 1800mhz
Nvidia Geforce GTX260 (old 192 version)
Win7 64bit

@Waugs - Try getting the newest video card drivers from ATI, also uninstall any "tool bar" style programs that came with the computer.

@Fossil - It's a combination of the underpowered graphics chip and slow processor.
Anyone having issues running this game on an Dell XPS M1710, I have had this lap top for some years now however, thought it would be able to run the game at at least minimal settings. The issue I am running into is that my lap top completely shuts off, when I reboot it says it shut down because it is either too hot in the room or the fan vents are blocked which is not the case (it's freaking 69 degrees in my house and I am playing in an open area) any suggestions on this, do I need a new lap top or is it something else. One more thing (sorry this is so long) my battery recently died on this machine and it only works when I have the power cord plugged in, do you think that would have anything as well to do with the error I am getting, anyways thanks for your time....
I have some slowing down (and a LOT of crashes) on the lowest settings when there's too much goin on the screen (and this pretty much avoids me to play any "lava" map :( ). I know I meet all the requirements but the graphic card, but I am now unsure if my CPU is a problem as well.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 / 2.33 GHz (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=36547).

Is it under requirements? :(