Influences on Map Favorites

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 9 Next
Nimbus is the best map ever.

the best feature is when a map has lots of options

nimbus allows us to expand upwards into a area that is very safe it also has about the same small coke in the main except those destructible rocks allow you to destroy them later for better defense or allow the enemy a better way to attack after they destroy them.

its also a big map which are always better than the small maps because you get bored of the small maps really quick. If you are a cheesy player you might like the smaller maps better though.

for example nimbus is a good map for terran and toss terran can go mech easier on this map and toss can get sky toss going on this map even though skytoss is OP they can actually get it a lot easier thanks to natural being so easy to defend and that makes getting the third a lot easier then the 4th and so on.

nimbus has lots of options for almost all army compositions.

terran or toss can expand to the corners giving them a second chance in some situations like when both players played well and did lots of damage to each other may be destroyed tech tree and production so in rare cases when you kind have been sent back to the stone age in tech you can take a hold in a safe location and try to come back.
What has the biggest influence on determining how much you like a map?
Poll ended on Aug 18, 2014
I like split map aesthetics (lava and snow, etc). So art style is a big thing for me. I don't play a lot these days but when I do I like some excitement, so standard play maps are just boring to me, both as a player and a spectator. I simply like maps that produce exciting games and varied plays or approaches.
New maps are dark, cold and depressing but because they Offers unique features or gameplay I didn't veto a single one of them.

If there would be a poll about maps graphic design I dislike, it would be exactly the design of the new maps except of Catellena. I still don't get why map designers can't use enjoyable warm colours for the maps, like Overgrow.
I will solve this for you blizz. It is the maps that produce enjoyable games to watch and to play. For instance, Ohana, antiga shipyard, akilon wastes, all have different features but offer very enteratining games to play and watch. Those maps are rush distance maps so there is a lot of action even in macro games, but they also offer enough terrain blocks to narrow the rush options. Maps like that are the best because you have the option to macro or rush, and they have enough lee-way to allow defense against rushes etc. Having maps where there is too much open space to drop or blink or use mutas are bad, maps with too easy or too hard to hold thirds, and maps that are too huge simply take away options in game or for watching. The look of a map means not so much, but it helps if the colors arent so off that it makes you squint, daybreak, ohana, antiga, aklion have great looks to them because you arent squinting.

In conclusion, give maps that are a combination of rushable or macro oriented, not too small or too big, doesnt have too much drop space around it, the third base should be medium in take-ability. Just look to the classics to see how to make a good map. Akilon, antiga, ohana, are all great examples what maps should be. Throw in 1-2 maps that are completely different if you like just for variety, but the standard will always be the go to for fun to play and fun to watch.
08/14/2014 12:34 PMPosted by Kherion
Art style is a major factor for me. Enough of the dark, dreary maps please.

Edit: And yes, more 2 player maps.
Art and maps not being as weird as this season, the new maps aren't symmetric.
Too many 4 player maps too.
This season's map pool was the worst since I started playing, imo. There are many epic maps that could return, don't you think? :I

Small things like easter eggs are nice too. Like the Lich King in King Sejong Station.
I would like it if Blizzard had a Hall of Fame map season, bringing out updated versions of all the old favorites like:

Xel'Naga Caverns
Shakuras Plateau
Tal'Darim Altar LE
Cloud Kingdom LE
Daybreak LE
Ohana LE
Whirlwind LE
Neo Planet S LE
Bel'Shir Vestige LE
Frost LE
I love unique map features like high yield geysers. They breath so much new life into the game.
My favorite maps are the ones where no one has an advantage. Ones that seem pretty even for all playstyles and army compositions. I'm currently liking the new maps. (except for Catallena, seems really difficult for a Terran to secure a 3rd base) They are big maps and seem pretty good for all army compositions.

I like maps that encourage macro games and show the real skill of the player. I'm not a fan of smaller maps where everyone just "All Ins" every single game. It doesn't take any skill to execute them and anyone can do them.
I'd love to see something very unconventional in the way of a one-geyser base or a gas-only base. It would obviously open up unique build orders and strategies.
Personal winrate, totally.
So we've seen the results swing quite a bit, with Unique features/gameplay now taking the lead.

A little surprised that Personal win rate is so low. It usually seems that people are more harsh on maps they struggle with.
4 players map are nice, with no free expand. Nimbus is garbage.
I love to watch fun, different and exciting games, and when I used to play I loved playing those kind of games aswell. So I voted for entertaining games!
I do not like how the maps have been getting bigger and bigger u see in pro player and in ladder that people we take free wins because the proxed a building on a huge 4 player map. I would like to see smaller 2 player maps back in style
i mostly care about how it looks
most maps with gimmicks don't look good to begin with
08/15/2014 02:02 PMPosted by Psione
A little surprised that Personal win rate is so low. It usually seems that people are more harsh on maps they struggle with.

It may be that "Personal Win Rate" is a product of other aspects that relate more directly to the map. I debated between voting "Personal Win Rate" and "Standard Play" because maps that promote standard play are the maps that I tend to do well on. In the end, I voted "Standard Play" because that's really the attribute of the map that makes me enjoy it.
08/15/2014 08:48 AMPosted by Salient
I would like it if Blizzard had a Hall of Fame map season, bringing out updated versions of all the old favorites like:

Xel'Naga Caverns
Shakuras Plateau
Tal'Darim Altar LE
Cloud Kingdom LE
Daybreak LE
Ohana LE
Whirlwind LE
Neo Planet S LE
Bel'Shir Vestige LE
Frost LE

Interesting idea. When you say updated version, what are you referring to exactly?
08/15/2014 03:02 PMPosted by Psione
08/15/2014 08:48 AMPosted by Salient

Xel'Naga Caverns
Shakuras Plateau
Tal'Darim Altar LE
Cloud Kingdom LE
Daybreak LE
Ohana LE
Whirlwind LE
Neo Planet S LE
Bel'Shir Vestige LE
Frost LE

Interesting idea. When you say updated version, what are you referring to exactly?

I think, one simple idea - make new maps similar to these ones (i.e. same two routes and two gold bases on Neo Planet), but 50% bigger and larger. Maybe add some new bases.

So the idea is to keep atmosphere of those old maps, saving and refreshing old ideas and putting them into bigger and larger scales. For example big version of Blistering Sands can have two backdoor rocks at main base, and in sizes be more similar to Daybreak maybe or Akilon Wastes (in sizes only!).

Same for Neo Planet S - try to enlarge all those chokepoints and roads by 50%, but keep the average idea of the map.
I believe a lot of older maps would not play out well in the current state of the game.

With that said, I still love Bel'Shir, Cloud Kingdom, Ohana....hell I wouldn't care I'd play them for nostalgia :P

Edit: Did I say Cloud Kingdom? Love that map :D So many epic games play there!