Offline Play

Technical Support
Post Limit:
Prev 1 2 3 17 Next
I've experienced the same problem, you can get the offline mode to work only if you actually are online which is completely stupid. If you log in to battle.net while online then hit the logout like another poster mentioned, it will then allow you to access the offline play feature, but it will not however enable you to play offline without the internet still being active. Either blizzard screwed the programing up when they did this or they just lost a fan of their company if this was done on purpose and have no intention of changing it.
Try this at your friends house.

1. Connect to Battle.net in the game.
2. Hit menu in the corner and click log-out.
3. When logged out click play as guest and it SHOULD work this time.

I just "figured" it out for a friend i have who spent quite a bit of time %#@*!ing at myself and others over how "its gay you have to have internet 24/7 to play"

To make sure it really does work I suggest after getting it up to exit the game, disable the internet connection, and try again. I did and it still allowed me to play offline after what I did above.

Sciriti was correct, partly. While this did work to get myself and the friends computers to play in offline mode, when I powered down my computer and restarted it without the internet turned on (to simulate me packing up my computer and taking it back home) I was unable to play SC2 again.

The following is what I hypothesize is going on: the "Offline Mode Authentication" is saved on a file in a temporary folder, which is deleted upon disconnecting from a power source (like temp internet files).

3 of us tried this test and all 3 lost our ability to play offline. When we all connected to the internet again and repeated Sciriti's steps above, we could play offline again.

Help us out Blizz... Let's get a blue post on this so we can get it patched in a week or less.
Bump
Then what is the point of offline mode?

So you can play on a laptop while traveling or while your connection is down. Offline mode requires that you connect to the internet every 30 days.
Once you shut down it doesnt allow you to play again unless you connect.
Then what is the point of offline mode?

So you can play on a laptop while traveling or while your connection is down. Offline mode requires that you connect to the internet every 30 days.

Which shouldn't be the case. But, since it is, even for 30 days does not work.
You're lucky if you can play for 30 minutes without it kicking you off.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm growing tired of Blizzard treating us as Valve does. And what they do is release something with a lot of bugs. Blizzard used to be a company that spent extra time getting the game ready so there would be minimal bugs. I blame activision.
Irritated Bump. I just wasted five hours on this crap. I'm giving up on this until Blizzard says it was all a practical joke and there's no battle.net 2.0 after all.
I'm having the same issue also.
Blizzard better come up with a solution for this "offline mode" issue. While it is true that most of us have access to internet connectivity a majority of the time, life sometimes throws you a curveball and you're left net-less. And then what? The whole point of offline mode is being prepared just in case your broadband connection is taken away. Arguing otherwise is foolish. Even Steam has a (mostly) working offline mode, why can't Blizzard?
bnet forums needs a sticky for this. Does Blizzard allow Starcraft II single player to be played offline or not? If so how do you do it?

Many of us bought this game to play the single player and could care less about who can pw0n someone else the quickest in a multi.

If your ISP looses their backbone for the entire weekend would Blizzards official response "sucks to be you"?.
Apparently they do.

Well, all I can say is that I would like to have offline mode working 100% for me because my school has like blocked all things gaming outside of facebook on their internet...which means for most of the day I have no WOW...SC2...or any other game that is actually worth a damn.
Allow me to point anyone to a forum that is larger about offline play and how it is not working. Join the fight here, to try and get Blizzard to fix this disturbing problem!

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/112311280?page=1#17
I have DSL but it went out for a short time today. The game prompted me to play offline by logging into my battle.net account. I did that and could not find a way to play offline... Actually, I can't even figure out how to play skirmish mode - online or off.

Do I have to finish the game before I can just set up a map by myself and play?
It is possible to play offline. I just did.
What you want to do, is be online to begin with, then play as guest, start a campaign or something, quit, then take yourself offline and start the game over, you should be fine.

I had no problem playing offline just now.
I am having the same issue playing offline at my cottage. To all of you saying it does work, you are wrong. It requires you to connect to the internet every time your computer shuts down. I drove down the street until i found a non passworded wifi to log in and make it work.... But my laptop just crashed so :( I really don't want to have to do that whole process again or wait until i get home in 2 weeks to finally beat the campaign :(

posting on my iphone btw, and my provider wont let me use tethering unless i buy a bigger data plan xD
Bump, this sucks :(
And need to authenticate for the 3rd time now after a bsod :( any word on a potential fix yet?
My opinion, all of the game systems and these companies making PC games that put achievements in these games don't keep people like me in mind. I could give a **** less about comparing my scores with other people. I like to play a game through once or the challenge, the cheat my *** off the next round through for the slaughtering fun. Let us have the freedom to choose if we want to compare "**** sizes" or have our own private game session, what the hell does our $50+ go for? So far, mine went to a waste of a good game I can't play because I live in the country with no internet connection. :/
I hibernated rather than shutdown/restart and it worked.
I emailed blizzard tech support about this earlier. Here is a copy of the conversation.
It looks like offline is something you are not able to accomplish despite the error messages and previous comments so unless blizzard releases a patch for it we're stuck without offline play. Which sucks.

Greetings,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding StarCraft II.

I actually believe that the intention is for it to not always need internet connection. However at this point in time that is not the case. Regrettably, this is not something that we will be able to change for you. If development is able to change it and feels that it should they will.

The online FAQs page can be found here:

http://www.starcraft2.com/faq.xml

The Community Section part of the official site, and it answers common questions:

http://www.starcraft2.com/community.xml

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,

Sidney S.
Game Master Laneroth
Customer Service
Blizzard Entertainment
www.blizzard.com/support

-----Original Message-----
To: Laneroth.wowgm@blizzard.com
Sent: 8/3/2010 1:03:32 PM
Subject: Re: StarCraft 2 offline error.

Hi,

Thank you for your response. Despite being posted on the box that the game requires an internet connection it is not apparent that this is required at all times. It had been stated that the internet connection would only be required for single player and online play. This would still fit the description of requiring an internet connect as it would need to be activated online first, but then authorize the game to be played offline for the portions that do not require a connection. And no the single player does not require an internet connection as I'm sure there are already cracks available, I'd just rather not have to find cracks to make a game I've purchased playable. Since I'm moving soon it would be nice to spend some of the downtime playing through the starcraft campaign before the internet connection gets setup.

I have also already authenticated my copy of starcraft II as I can currently sign on and play. You can check this under the account wraithcube@gmail.com with the character wraithcube.

Blizzard's Bob Colayco stated for kotaku “An initial activation check-in is required, which we also have been mentioning since BlizzCon and even before that. The campaign and other solo aspects of the game are still playable offline after your initial activation.” http://www.kotaku.com.au/2010/04/does-starcraft-ii-require-an-internet-connection/

Before that is had also been stated “You don’t technically have to (login), but you’ll want to. You can play in offline mode if you want – I just don’t think you’re going to want to. You’ll be giving up lots and lots of features, and why would you want to be giving up features?” - Blizzard vice president of game design Rob Pardo http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/08/starcraft-ii-can-be-played-offline/

This error message also indicates that offline play is available after activation. "Offline Play Authorization Required" "To enable offline play, connect to Battle.net to authorize your game client. You also need at least one StarCraft II character on the account".

Thanks!

Greetings,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding StarCraft II.

At this time, StarCraft II requires an active internet connection to play. This is stated in the System Requirements on the retail box, as well as our online System Requirements. Without an active internet connection, you will not be able to log in to Battle.net to authenticate your copy of StarCraft II.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,

Sidney S.
Game Master Laneroth
Customer Service
Blizzard Entertainment
www.blizzard.com/support

-----Original Message-----
To: techsupport@blizzard.com
Sent: 8/1/2010 8:47:08 PM
Subject: StarCraft 2 offline error.

Hi,

I just purchased a new copy of starcraft 2 and am unable to get it to
work offline.

The battle.net account is under this email address
(wraithcube@gmail.com) with a character created under the same name of
wraithcube.

When connected to the internet it appears to work fine and I can play in
the single player or online.

If the internet is disconnected and I try to connect I get an error
message saying "Offline Play Authorization Required" "To enable offline
play, connect to Battle.net to authorize your game client. You also need
at least one StarCraft II character on the account".

I don't see any option in game or through the battle.net website when
I'm connected to authorize it, but I have been able connect through the
client and create a character.

It doesn't work whether I hit connect at the login screen or using the
Play as Guest option.

Thanks,