StarJeweled – Beta Feedback Thread

Bug Report
Post Limit:
1 2 3 11 Next
A short time ago we released our first mod maps into the wilds of Battle.net for you, our loyal players, to play and enjoy.

The purpose of this post, and others like it, is to provide a location for you to alert us to any bugs with the maps themselves and to let us know what you think of each of the maps.

Thank you for giving the new maps a spin and we look forward to hearing what you think of StarJeweled!
Cool map!
Seems pretty good already. People newer to games like bejeweled are generally going to get their butts kicked (I am one of those). Though countering enemy units can somewhat make up for it, though not too much. I will give more feed back once i really get the hang of the color matching part.
This is a very promising map, and I really appreciate the way the "tug-of-war" game meshes with the puzzles. However, the best of five structure really takes too long to play. I think best of 3 would be just right.
I have to agree with Ultraviper. This custom game is really fun, but the games are way too long. I'll keep you posted on the bug situation.

You guys made a good job!
Is there a way to make the hotkeys the same as in melee games?
Not sure hot keys would help. too much, maybe for the abilities. (the time warp ability is the best to counter Colossi/Ultralisk/Tanks)

the issues I have with it is that the computer sometimes get stuck when it comes to giving you gems. unless it's programed to be evil to ya if you've won a round.
Definitely need an option to lower the number of rounds. (best of 3, or even a 1 round match as options.)
If your teammate leaves, the points you receive per match should increase (if not double). It's an easy way to make the game more fair. You're still at a disadvantage cause you have to multitask harder, but at least it's doable.

OR

have the AI pick up the dropped player. Something is needed.
OMG this is the coolest Blizzard custom map I have ever seen. The only problem is if a player leaves it pretty much ruins the rest of the game. I like the above poster's idea.

Also if maybe there was an option to extend the gameplay by say letting you vote for a game to 5 or 7. Or maybe voting on units being weaker/buildings stronger. It seems each game can end pretty quick (atleast the one's I did ended in 5-10 min).
I think this one is my favorite. A fun concept (bejewled) with added depth (the nexus war-counter mechanic and the spells) and polish. Altogether i think what really makes this an awesome game is the cool resource generating minigame. Its the essence of a perfect macro mechanic.

I would love to see achievements for these maps :)
Deselecting Jewels

There does not seem to be any way to do this. If I misclick, I have to waste time attempting a match I already know is bad just so it will deselect that jewel. So far the most common situation I run into this is in the configuration below:

[O][X][Z]
[Z][X][Z]
[X][O][Y]

Here I am attempting to move the bottom [X] over to match the two in upper rows. Many times I accidentally click the left [Z] instead. I know there is no match but have no way of deselecting it. (the mind knows what it wants, but the body didn't cooperate) I am forced to attempt a bad match I already know is bad just so I can deselect the jewel.

In Bejeweled, jewels can be selected and deselected as needed. A click-drag moves a jewel, regular click selects or deselects. Only one jewel can be selected at once. Deselecting with a single click is faster than attempting a bad match and having to wait for the whole animation to play out.
A very fun first look at the game. I'll keep playing it but I have to offer one criticism after my first play: it takes waaay too long to play. It took 20 minutes to play the first round, and another 15 minutes into the next round I lost interest because there was absolutely no progress being made by either side. I can't imagine how long it would take to play a full 5 rounds.

01/25/2011 9:28 PMPosted by Thander
A click-drag moves a jewel,

This would be an extremely helpful feature.
Great fun. A few comments:

- There needs to be some type of feedback (a sound?) as you unlock each successive unit. I find myself constantly taking my eyes off the game board to see "can I afford x yet?" This kills your concentration and speed.

- There's a slight lag between clicking jewels and when the jewels actually look selected. This delay is very unnerving because you're furiously clicking on jewels but it doesn't look like the game is keeping up with you. Is there any way to make the UI a little more responsive?

- Matches v. AI can go on WAY too long. After about 15 minutes, I get a little bored (and slightly fatigued) - especially when the AI and I still have roughly the same amount of health after that 15 minutes. I find myself just quitting matches because they drag on so long.
Very nice and tough for those who sucks with Bejewel lol... perhaps you guys could implement a 15 second hint effect... if the user couldn't find a move within 15 seconds, give them a hint.

Also, would be nice if you could allow the user to micro the units because right now is pretty dumb as they just keep moving forward... If you introduce micromanagement in it, it would be epic.
[BUG]
When using the slow down orb ability, it cast a psionic storm instead. Pretty weird. Vague, I know, I also can't say for 100% that somehow my clicks didn't register and my ally stormed in that exact spot instead.

Nonetheless, I thought I'd mention it, in case it was a valid bug.

01/25/2011 9:48 PMPosted by codenamezero
Very nice and tough for those who sucks with Bejewel lol... perhaps you guys could implement a 15 second hint effect... if the user couldn't find a move within 15 seconds, give them a hint.

Also, would be nice if you could allow the user to micro the units because right now is pretty dumb as they just keep moving forward... If you introduce micromanagement in it, it would be epic.
If you can't find a move to make, you should reset the board. Otherwise, if you can't find a move to make, you deserve to be behind until you find a spot to move.

When it comes to micro control, I like that in tug games also, since I don't really like true tug games because of the lame micro. Thing is, with this map, there aren't any special abilities units use except the ghost (just snipe? or EMP too?), and not too many unit variations, so it's not a big issue.

The problem with being able to control the units is that people would just camp and mass their armies, and it would no longer be a tug game, just a game where they fight once, and one side gets owned then immediately dies.
Matches v. AI can go on WAY too long. After about 15 minutes, I get a little bored (and slightly fatigued)
Second Player vs player game I play lasted an hour and a half. is AI really slow compared to that? maybe for you AI is slow, but for others it's faster (or not, depends how it's coded).
this is one of those playing chess and boxing, I feel like either my counters suffer or my score suffers.

fun but 5 rounds is INSANE with good players, a single round was 55 min so the total time was hitting 2 hours which is a bit too long
best of the 3 custom maps, but yeah the rounds take too long, maybe shorten the distance or make the energy cap higher. Sometimes bnet freezes when trying to join a game as well. Like it doesn't go to the join screen nor can I join any other multiplayer games, including ladder. I just have to log out and re login in
by far the best of the new map so far in terms of ready for not-beta. I would like it to be an option "best of #" to be voted at the beginning. I find that sometimes the games end after 3 games and sometimes it ends later and my teammate actually leaves because I guess they get bored or something.

I noticed some people mentioning 'vs. AI" I hadn't even considered that would be possible, but if you've programmed an AI to handle bejeweled it should have difficulty settings as well.

Edit: I went and tried with the AI. apparently the AI is already scalled to difficulty (well enough by my call. I'm certainly not enough to take on hard opponents)