Hydralisks...

Zerg Discussion
Seem ridiculously strong in this game. I'm aware they are now tier 2. but just in general they seem way too cheap and powerful and are pretty effective versus almost anything in the protoss race.
They're very very good units but they melt in the face of Colossi and charge zealots.
Collosi can wreak absolute havoc when facing Hydras. Zealots are good too, make sure you have charge and don't get kited.

Edit: Beaten to the punch
Stalkers get #!!*d. and yes, collossi work but take awhile to reach, and no, zealots get #!!*d. Try it. They charge and then die before they can complete one attack motion, even with almost twice as many zealots.
don't listen to people saying charge lots are good counters to hydras, they are not, there are only 2 viable optiosn verses hydras, but the two options work VERY well.

1) psi strom.

2) colossi. No, there is no "colossi aren't ready by the time hdyras push" excuse. If you are scouting enough, you will know it's coming and easily have enough colossi out. If they push before your colossi are ready, then he doesn't have enough hydras to wtf insta destroy your zealots. the most important thing as protoss is getting to your critical 4-5 colossi, getting a couple sentries and the rest stalkers. The mass stalkers so that if he's getting mutas, broodlords, or corrupters to take out your colossi, u can easily blink and pwn them, the sentry to put your -2 dmg shield up, and forcefield the enemy hydras in half.

don't listen to people saying charge lots are good counters to hydras, they are not, there are only 2 viable optiosn verses hydras, but the two options work VERY well.

1) psi strom.

2) colossi. No, there is no "colossi aren't ready by the time hdyras push" excuse. If you are scouting enough, you will know it's coming and easily have enough colossi out. If they push before your colossi are ready, then he doesn't have enough hydras to wtf insta destroy your zealots. the most important thing as protoss is getting to your critical 4-5 colossi, getting a couple sentries and the rest stalkers. The mass stalkers so that if he's getting mutas, broodlords, or corrupters to take out your colossi, u can easily blink and pwn them, the sentry to put your -2 dmg shield up, and forcefield the enemy hydras in half.

Generalizations make you look like an idiot. Yes against 200/200 food of pure hydralisks, 200/200 food of zealots will not win, but zealots work extremely well combined with other units.
NEVER EVER EVER use Hydras off creep without major backup. That is their key weakness.
granted they are cheap, but it still uses a lot of resources to build up a sizable army of them. and more often than not i just find them to be pretty fragile and die relatively easily
fast expo ---> ling contain ----> hydra is how I've usually approached zvp so far, with varying levels of success
What's the zvz counter to hydras?
07/30/2010 12:56 AMPosted by Birdy
What's the zvz counter to hydras?

Duh. Infestors. And banelings. and hydras.
On equal upgrades, 1 roach will barely beat 2 hydras.
teching to colossi takes nearly the same amount of time to tech to hydralisks. idk about the rest of you guys, but i dont think ive seen/built hydras in zvp since the early nydus worm rush days. the only time id even consider hydras in zvp is if i saw heavy stargate play.
11/08/2012 05:43 PMPosted by HeXen
teching to colossi takes nearly the same amount of time to tech to hydralisks. idk about the rest of you guys, but i dont think ive seen/built hydras in zvp since the early nydus worm rush days. the only time id even consider hydras in zvp is if i saw heavy stargate play.

I go hydras pretty often in ZvP. Contrary to popular belief, they do not immediately become completely useless once one colossus hits the field. Overbuilding hydras though is definitely an issue, and you typically do not want to reinforce with them. 12+ hydras is also usually a bad thing, but in numbers of 10 or less they can be a great DPS boost to nearly any composition (in ZvP, anyway... I never use hydras ZvT).

They are also not the core of a mid-lategame+ army. But through the midgame they are fine with enough shielding.
Ha, haha, ha, hahaha, good one.