10.6.7 Released (Info and Links)

Mac Technical Support
10.6.7 Delta Updater Regular:

10.6.7 Combo Updater Regular:

10.6.7 Delta Updater MacBookPro (2011) custom:

10.6.7 Delta regular updates 10.6.6 to 10.6.7 for all non 2011 MacBookPro machines.

10.6.7 Combo Updater regular updates any version of 10.6 to 10.6.7 for all non 2011 MacBookPro systems. (This is recommended update to gaurentee you get all latest files without complications).

10.6.7 Delta Updater MBP (2011) updates all 2011 MBPs to 10.6.7. It also includes additinoal driver updates specific to this hardware that are not available in the regular 10.6.7 updates. Unfortunately I have not found a combo updater version of this custom MBP update. However being new hardware with fresh custom builds of 10.6.6, they shouldn't be missing any files from 10.6-10.6.5 anyways so a delta update should be very stable for these machines.
Stickied! Thanks Omega!!!
Mac Tech Support || Tues-Sat 9 AM - 5 PM CST
If you can't find it here, contact a rep direct :http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/contact.html
http://www.surveymk.com/s/RF8K3KG ---- Rate my service. Haala at your boi
Mac Blue will make you JUMP JUMP
Tony Mac will make you JUMP JUMP
Blue Posts will make you JUMP JUMP
TL;DR: Mac OS X 10.6.7 update makes SC2 unplayable on MacBook Air.

I have a new 2011 13 inch MacBook Air, which came with Mac OS X 10.6.5 installed. Out of the box, StarCraft 2 ran at 45-60 FPS on medium graphics settings.
I installed the Mac OS X 10.6.7 update, and the frame rate in StarCraft 2 dropped to about 10 FPS, even on low graphics settings, which makes the game unplayable.

Originally I had no idea what was causing the frame rate drop. I received the MacBook Air new on Monday, ran SC2 on it successfully at a nice frame rate (much to my amazement), and only later did a full Software Update, which pulled in many individual updates. I had also modified some preferences and installed other apps.

To track down the cause of the frame rate drop, I erased the MacBook Air's drive, reinstalled Mac OS X 10.6.5, installed only SC2 to verify that it did in fact run fine, and then installed the Apple software updates one by one. Only when I installed the Mac OS X 10.6.7 update did the SC2 frame rate drop to 10 FPS. I installed no other apps and did not change any preferences.

A coworker of mine with the same MacBook Air model reported the same problem immediately after installing the Mac OS X 10.6.7 update on his computer.

Another coworker with an iMac at home said that the Mac OS X 10.6.7 update degraded the SC2 frame rate on his computer.

I wiped the MacBook Air drive and reinstalled a second time, omitting the Mac OS X 10.6.7 update, and SC2 runs fine. I am not going to install this update.

I also have a 2010 MacBook Pro at home, and I am going to hold off on installing the 10.6.7 update on it, because I am worried that there is a chance it will be similarly affected.

*** TonyM, please let me know if you will file this as a bug via Blizzard, or let me know what other action I should take. This seems like an easily reproducible problem to me. Please tell me if you need additional information. Thanks for any help you can provide on this issue.

Specs below:

13 inch MacBook Air, 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir3,2
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.13 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBA31.0061.B01
SMC Version (system): 1.66f55

NVIDIA GeForce 320M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 320M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x08a3
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3571
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort
Display Connector:

Memory Slots:

ECC: Disabled

Size: 2 GB
Type: DDR3
Speed: 1067 MHz
Manufacturer: 0x80AD
Part Number: 0x484D54333235533642465238412D47372020
Serial Number: 0x00000000

Size: 2 GB
Type: DDR3
Speed: 1067 MHz
Manufacturer: 0x80AD
Part Number: 0x484D54333235533642465238412D47372020
Serial Number: 0x00000000
Has anyone with a 2010 MacBook Pro installed the 10.6.7 update? Has it affected the frame rate of StarCraft 2?

My MacBook Pro model is:
Mac OS X 10.6.6
2.66 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I would like to hear that somebody else has installed the 10.6.7 update with no ill effects on StarCraft 2 before installing it on my computer.

if 10.6.7 dropped frame rate that much i'd like to know what is actually running in activity monitor, i think it's very likely something is sucking up cpu, possibly the peice of crap app store. You'd have to diagnose the problem more then just blaming the OS abroad cause it's probably one specific componant that can be disabled/removed without removing the entire update.
I have the MBP 15'' 2010 with the same specs as you AtomicBanana and i had good performance but right now with 10.6.7 my performance is almost unplayable in medium (something that didn't happened before).

I hope that they can release soon a fix for this issue
Theros -- My coworker who also has a MacBook Air reinstalled 10.6.5 from the USB key that comes with the machine, without actually erasing the drive first, and this restored the original SC2 frame rate it and made it playable again.

This replaced 10.6.7 with 10.6.5 without erasing any of his local data or apps.

It's possible that reinstalling the OS from the original DVD on your MBP would have the same effect. I have not tried this myself on my MBP, however.
i wouldn't recommend installing an older over newer, the pacage installer wouldn't actually replace all the files, so it'd just make a mess of things. i suspect that there is a single offending problem on 10.6.7 that'se asier to fix then reverting to 10.6.5 if you just trouble shoot it. none of you have popped open activity monitor on 10.6.7 and answered question on what's consuming all the cpu while sc2 is open, (listning processes from all users btw). that'd be a good start. Also console log for any problem events. i don't doubt 10.6.7 has a bug in it, but i suspect it's a setting issue or process (such as app store) which would be easier to kill/change then to revert to older OS version that has more bugs. if it's a more severe bug like graphics drivers, you'd figure that out by process of elimination. you could even run 10.6.7 with some older driver kexts probably as well. point being, should try smaller solutions before extreme ones like running out of date, when you haven't isolated why the newer isn't working right yet.
Thanks for the feedback, Omega.

I would love to try to track down the problem further, but given that I now have my computer in a state where SC2 runs just fine, and my lack of free time, and the amount of time I've spent tracking this down already, I don't want to spend several more hours trying to debug the issue further. That's what I do for my day job, and I assume this should be the responsibility of somebody at Blizzard.

I was able to reproduce the problem on a completely fresh computer out of the box, with only StarCraft 2 installed on it, and my coworker reproduced it as well, so this should be more than enough information for a Blizzard developer to get started.
2011 15" 2.3GHz here and I definitely noticed the performance degradation after the 10.6.7 update. I ran it on Ultra@1680x1050 with around 40FPS average. After the update that dropped to 9 and I had to knock the settings down to medium/high to get back up to 30-40FPS.

At least it doesn't hard lock when I exit the game now -.-
I just wanted to know if someone could tell me where to find maps to play the Versus A.I.
Just curious if you guys have tried to reset the PRAM and System Management controller after installing 10.6.7. I encountered a problem on my i7 MBP where the frame rate would slow down really bad after 5 minutes once I had installed the 1.3 patch. Resetting the system management controller fixed it for me. I really think it should have been stickied because a lot of people seemed to be in my same situation.

Anyways, try this after installing 10.6.7 and see if that fixes the issue for you:

I found out what the problem was.

The MacBook Air I described above (13 inch MacBook Air, 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3) came with Mac OS X 10.6.5 installed on it.

After I used Software Update to install "Mac OS X Update Combined, Version 10.6.7", the frame rate of StarCraft 2 dropped from 45-60 FPS to 10 FPS.

I reverted to Mac OS X 10.6.5 and the problem went away.

It turns out that if, instead of going from 10.6.5 straight to 10.6.7 with the combo update, you update first to 10.6.6, and then to 10.6.7, the frame rate of StarCraft 2 will not be affected.

10.6.6 can be downloaded at http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1343
10.6.7 can be downloaded at http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1363

If you are already at 10.6.7, you'll have to revert back to 10.6.5 using the USB thumb drive that came with the MacBook Air, or via some other means.

This problem and its solution is summarized nicely at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1133968

I followed these steps and now SC2 runs great on my MacBook Air with Mac OS X 10.6.7.

Thanks everybody.