How do you get your APM up?

Zerg Discussion
I just feel like I'm not doing enough when I play. I just got the game a week ago and my actions per minute is usually about 30 or a little less. I looked at a replay when I was playing the medium AI and even it had a higher APM than me. Any suggestions on what I should be doing?

Also, one more thing: What buildings get the zerg armor/weapons upgrades? All I can find is the zergling speed one.
Some things to think about:
    Queen Injections
    Creep Spread
    Spending Larva
    Spending your Money
    Constantly Scouting

Queen Injections
Creep Spread
Spending Larva
Spending your Money
Constantly Scouting

Yeah, I do notice that I usually have a lot of unused money, but I just can't find anything to spend it on fast enough, especially while I'm fighting. I'll have to work on that.
Practice, no matter how painful, to use hotkeys
04/12/2011 02:13 PMPosted by Fawxkitteh

Right now it's quicker for me not too... maybe in a few weeks I'll have them memorized... I learned all the protoss ones and now I have to learn the zerg ones.

Queen Injections
Creep Spread
Spending Larva
Spending your Money
Constantly Scouting

Yeah, I do notice that I usually have a lot of unused money, but I just can't find anything to spend it on fast enough, especially while I'm fighting. I'll have to work on that.

If you're running into a lot of money, one of the causes may be because you don't have enough larva. Expand and/or make a Macro Hatch (an extra Hatchery inside your base). Also hotkeying all your Hatcheries together can help when trying to make units in the middle of combat.

Random Fact:
    If you have a fully saturated base, kept up with your larva injections, and constantly produced Zerglings non-stop, your minerals will keep growing. In other words, you can have a non-stop stream of Zerglings AND still be able to afford to build other things.

Note: I'm not suggesting this as a strategy. Simply putting things in perspective.

If you're running into a lot of money, one of the causes may be because you don't have enough larva. Expand and/or make a Macro Hatch (an extra Hatchery inside your base). Also hotkeying all your Hatcheries together can help when trying to make units in the middle of combat.

Random Fact:
    If you have a fully saturated base, kept up with your larva injections, and constantly produced Zerglings non-stop, your minerals will keep growing. In other words, you can have a non-stop stream of Zerglings AND still be able to afford to build other things.

Note: I'm not suggesting this as a strategy. Simply putting things in perspective.

Alright, this is really noobish, but how do you hotkey buildings/units that are already produced?
The number one way to improve your APM (aside from using hotkeys) is to always have a plan. If you know what you want to accomplish, your are always keeping your self busy completing the steps of your plan.
You select all of the units/buildings you want to put in a hotkey and press:
  • CTRL + #
    This will override your # hotkey with the units you have selected. If there were any units previously assigned to your #, then they will no longer be.

• SHIFT + #
    This will add the units you have selected to your # hotkey, in addition to any units that were previously assigned to it.
Multi task first. APM later.
You select all of the units/buildings you want to put in a hotkey and press:
  • CTRL + #
    This will override your # hotkey with the units you have selected. If there were any units previously assigned to your #, then they will no longer be.

• SHIFT + #
    This will add the units you have selected to your # hotkey, in addition to any units that were previously assigned to it.

Thanks, will do. Been wondering hwo to do that all week.
04/12/2011 01:57 PMPosted by Moldy
I looked at a replay when I was playing the medium AI and even it had a higher APM than me.

That's because it's an AI. They can do a million things in parallel, rather than in sequence like you're forced to do.

Just keep playing. Force yourself to do things faster. Memorize key positions so you can build Drones or units faster.

I've went from an in-game ~80 APM to upwards of ~120 over the course of a couple months just by continuing to play and attempting to play better and faster.
Put a ferret having a seizure on top of your keyboard to mash buttons
As you get better your APM will increase naturally. Don't focus on increasing it specifically cuz that'll just muck you up and you'll fall into some bad habits. Instead, just focus on what you need to get done. As you get better you'll get faster.
04/12/2011 02:15 PMPosted by Moldy
Right now it's quicker for me not too... maybe in a few weeks I'll have them memorized... I learned all the protoss ones and now I have to learn the zerg ones.

I switched to grid hotkeys for this. It's difficult at first, but easier in the long term especially if you like to switch races for fun once in awhile (Q is always a worker, Z and X are always build commands etc.) Also if you forget what the hotkey is, you can quickly glance at the bottom right instead of having to actually click.
The only people who usually care about APM are the people who spam in the beggening. Most other people tend to look at the important parts of the match.
APM is irrelevant. The only reason people talk about APM is because players who have good mechanics end up having high APM because they remember to do things.
04/12/2011 02:15 PMPosted by Moldy

Even if its quicker for you not to, just use them. Everytime you're about to click on something, look at the hotkey for it and click that instead. This will make your apm more efficient and higher.

Other than that, just practice and it'll go up.
At the very beginning hotkey your hatchery to 4. Use 1,2 and 3 for controlling different unit types. 5 - 8 for Queens. 9 and 10 for overlords.

If you have a couple queens, and hatches, to inject, hit 55v, click hatch, 66v, click hatch. Then immediately after hit 11 to return to your main army, or 44 to return home.

All your hatches should be on one hotkey, for me it's 4. That way when you hit 44 s, you'll highlight all your available larvae

While you in a fight, you can tap 4, then click s, zzzzzzz, then click 1, 2, 3 to move your units around.

Don't scroll, double press hotkeys to move around the map, or use the mini map.